• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

Teknoman

Kabuki Waq said:
I dunno I think ppl with low standards should quit gaming. I mean all that destruction just does not feel dynamic it seems like things just crumble in the same way each time. It got repetitve IMO. The game still pretty fun but a definate rental.

The buildings didnt seem to crumble the same way to me...of course I havent destroyed any huge sky scrapers...but pieces of villas and tin shacks flew in random directions everytime.

Also the game looks alot better in motion on your TV than the screenshots posted. I dont really have low standards...but the game really isnt low quality in the least bit either. The same happened with GOD HAND. 3.0 from IGN, 8 from Gamespot and 6-7 from everyone else.

If thinking Mercenaries 2 is a great game and worth owning signifies having low standards, then the same would have to be said of Crackdown, and that had plenty going for it. Sure both games could see some improvements, but neither signals people having low gaming standards.

Yeah, this game seems pretty long. Once you get all your crew and all that, you get a real idea of the actual length.

And co-op is pretty fun. I accidently invited y2kev into a mission I was currently doing (I didn't know X was invite, I was just checking to see if he was in a mission to invite after I finished mine), but luckily that mission was a bit tough and he helped out a lot.

And the last mission I did was really awesome. I also got a badass gun from it.

Pimpbaa

Kabuki Waq said:
I dunno I think ppl with low standards should quit gaming.

No, that would be a bad idea. Because all the stupid jaded fucks with high standards would bring gaming market crashing down.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is so fun. So much better than GTA4. Hey Rockstar, look-- an aiming system!

just picked up the 360 version (my gamestop was out of ps3 version) and i'm happy to say that this game is a total blast! I'm fully enjoying the game without worrying about petty minutiae. Looking forward to co-opping this with my buddy later in the week.

newsguy

For all of those mentioning the seamless co-op, I had the same thing happen. My buddy found me on (I had my copy at midnight saturday so I thought no one would have it). Right after I watch my guy get shot in the ass, I get a 50 point achievment for playing co-op. The first thing I thought, "holy shit, I heartd this game had bugs, but this is a bug I can get behind... free achievments!!" A few minutes later I see Mattias in a Jeep and I'm like WTF? :lol I finally put on the headset and realized my buddy was there the whole time.

Also, I have a question about throwing beacons, smoke, etc. Is it possible to equip the damned things? I want to equip them so I can run up to whatever building and throw it with the touch of a button. So far the only option I see is to enter the D-pad menu and wherever I'm standing is where I throw the thing. I don't remember it being that way uin the orginal but I really don't remember. Help anyone?

Chrange

Banned
Playing through the first mission, where you have to kill the guards around the house I was left with one guy in the hedge maze. Had no interest in going through the maze to find him and I didn't want to throw grenades randomly (I had enough of that in Call of Duty 4) so I looked around...hey, there's a car!

VROOM VROOM - straight through the maze and all I saw of the guard was his body flying up over my hood. :lol

Brannon

Fuckin' Devastator. I was like OH MY GOD FUCK THE MISSION I'M GOING TO RAMPAGE!

Two seconds later...

Way to go Pandemic. Using commonly accepted game logic to play a cruel joke. That's just...

BRILLIANT!

"The UP really needs you!"

So am I the only one who heard some dude freak out that he was injured, then say there was no blood and curse the fact that this was a Teen rated game?

newsguy

DoctorWho said:
So am I the only one who heard some dude freak out that he was injured, then say there was no blood and curse the fact that this was a Teen rated game?

Haha, I hadn't heard that one. In mine I heard a guy say something like "this is Venezuela, why would they make a videogame about us?"

909er

So, anyone know how to get Ewan's lazy ass to do a resource/money pick up? I've got him now, and I went up to the bundle of cash and munitions by the villa, pressed Y, marked on the map, had the chat with the girl about how Ewan can pick it up with his chopper now, went out to get lunch, and he still hasn't picked it up. And if I move far enough away, the thing gets unmarked. I don't know if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong.

Just a couple more gripes; whenever, and I mean whenever I get out of a chopper, Jen says something about needing a parachute. It'd be nice if there were some sort of altitude check so she wouldn't say that. Doesn't make much sense to beg for a parachute if you're 3 feet above the ground :lol

Loving the game so far, in any case. Went back to the
PLAV leader to get a story mission
and discovered that not all of the game is location capturing and HVTs.

909er said:
So, anyone know how to get Ewan's lazy ass to do a resource/money pick up? I've got him now, and I went up to the bundle of cash and munitions by the villa, pressed Y, marked on the map, had the chat with the girl about how Ewan can pick it up with his chopper now, went out to get lunch, and he still hasn't picked it up. And if I move far enough away, the thing gets unmarked. I don't know if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong.

May be a bug. I have had any issues with him grabbing stuff. I always hit "Y" to steal the item, then open up on the D-Pad to order a "Resource Pick-up" and he's generally there in a few seconds. A few times he's been under fire, and I get charged 30k for helicopter repairs.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Anyone know how to unlock/access the other half of the map? I don't have any work with any of the factions left to do except for a bunch of challenges. Don't really want to have to do them all

Shatai

Banned
In the mission to recruit Eva, where you're taking her monster truck for a spin and there's that jump that requires the boost to complete. If the truck takes another random flip and the physics bug out yet again, after the 20th time I've tried to do this stupid race mission, I'm gonna call an artillery strike in on my PS3.

newsguy

newsguy said:
Also, I have a question about throwing beacons, smoke, etc. Is it possible to equip the damned things? I want to equip them so I can run up to whatever building and throw it with the touch of a button. So far the only option I see is to enter the D-pad menu and wherever I'm standing is where I throw the thing. I don't remember it being that way uin the orginal but I really don't remember. Help anyone?

Pleee uuss haaaalp

Kingpen

For what it is worth (to those of you concerned about length). I am at about 40% completion in the stats, but I have only done the following - Capture all Univeral Petroleum HVTs, Find all UP Helipads/sub locations, find my whole crew of helpers. Have not blown up any of their targeted buildings yet.

I am not just barely getting to the PLAV side of the map and going to start taking missions from them. I have not spent a lot of time screwing around that much and I am probably 7-8 hours into playing this game.

There is still the 3 other factions, despite PLAV that I just got to do to missions (have done about 14 of the 55 story missions so far). The game is getting a lot more challenging as well.

I pretty much don't have too many of the air strikes either yet... I think I still have easily 25-30 hours left in this game playthough.

Huggy

The whole D-pad usage for jet and helicopter events is so awkward.

Yesterday, after a long firefight I finally got face to face with my HVT and smacked him in the face. After subduing him, I immediately threw a smoke beacon for my chopper to pick him up.
Unfortunately, the smoke beacon I had thrown next to my HVT was differently colored and intended for something else. I barely escaped.

Nozdeuce said:
Anyone know how to unlock/access the other half of the map? I don't have any work with any of the factions left to do except for a bunch of challenges. Don't really want to have to do them all

I got stuck at this point for a while too. Do the PLAV mission with the prototype boat. It's a challenge mission but also a story one. It took me much too long to figure out that flashing mission-givers that show up on your minimap are story ones.

Huggy said:
The whole D-pad usage for jet and helicopter events is so awkward.

Yesterday, after a long firefight I finally got face to face with my HVT and smacked him in the face. After subduing him, I immediately threw a smoke beacon for my chopper to pick him up.
Unfortunately, the smoke beacon I had thrown next to my HVT was differently colored and intended for something else. I barely escaped.

I agree with this. I wish that four different types of air support could be mapped to each of the d-pad buttons.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
BobJustBob said:
I got stuck at this point for a while too. Do the PLAV mission with the prototype boat. It's a challenge mission but also a story one. It took me much too long to figure out that flashing mission-givers that show up on your minimap are story ones.
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks :D

raYne

DoctorWho said:
I agree with this. I wish that four different types of air support could be mapped to each of the d-pad buttons.
You should've been able to customize the controls in general.

It's a pain in the ass trying to drive something with the face buttons while having to use the right analog in order to aim. They fixed it on the tanks etc by having up on the left stick double as acceleration, but when you're driving something like a gun truck it's terrible.

No one during Q&A/playtesting complained about that? Really? Not even one person?

raYne said:
You should've been able to customize the controls in general.

It's a pain in the ass trying to drive something with the face buttons while having to use the right analog in order to aim. They fixed it on the tanks etc by having up on the left stick double as acceleration, but when you're driving something like a gun truck it's terrible.

No one during Q&A/playtesting complained about that? Really? Not even one person?

Yep, which I could remap Sprint

....as it is now, I NEVER use it 'cept one the one mission where you hijack the armor car from behind...and that was because you had too

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
When I saw the commercial, I was hoping the game itself had the same money texture. Too bad the song sucked, but I thought playing a game with a design like that would be great. But it's just normal.

AgentOtaku said:
Yep, which I could remap Sprint

....as it is now, I NEVER use it 'cept one the one mission where you hijack the armor car from behind...and that was because you had too

I know this has been mentioned before and you've probably addressed it, but can you not just press the button and sprint away without holding it? I know it's like that in the 360 version.

Somnia

So...I was doing some HVT's and the PLAV are really really mad at me now :lol Will I never be able to do their missions now that I pissed them off?

newsguy

Somnia said:
So...I was doing some HVT's and the PLAV are really really mad at me now :lol Will I never be able to do their missions now that I pissed them off?

Just talk to the girl in your HQ and there will be a bribe option. It's expensive.

Capoeira

Unregistered007 said:
you seem pretty insecure about the 360 version being weak..:lol :lol
If you were any more transparent, you'd be invisible.

*puts on ignore list*

Oh look, now you are.

pr0cs

Unregistered007 said:
one more for the ignore list.

hopefully once school starts next week the kiddies will be less busy on GAF.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Unregistered007 said:

I will unleash the Spirit of Fenrir on you Troll! For ODIN!!!!!!!!!! BATTLEEEECRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

raYne

newsguy said:
Just talk to the girl in your HQ and there will be a bribe option. It's expensive.
How expensive?

I'm pretty much in the same situation, but I've been gambling with the crew (trial tests) and with that and normal playing, I've have built up almost 8 million. Haven't really gotten into the air strikes yet though and with fuel costs added, I don't want to use up my fortune needlessly.

Top Bottom