• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Y2Kev said:
Ugh, I knew GT was garbage with this but now I have proof.

They didn't let the friggin texture load on the 360!

rocksmall.jpg

and a yuge comparison if you want to see

http://www.catanzareti.com/images/Kevin/rockfullsize.jpg

Yikes, they must be trying hard to make the PS3 version look comparable if that is true.

2mmv3tt.jpg

I seen less jaggies on PS2 launch games than the PS3 version of this game:
ridge-racer-v-3.jpg

raYne

newsguy said:
I paid something like 1 mil for the PLAV once, and like 1.6 mil for the UP another time.
Hmm.. Considering you can make +.5 million in like two mins via the aforementioned squad gambling, that's not that bad.

I was expecting something ridiculously huge.

newsguy

raYne said:
Hmm.. Considering you can make +.5 million in like two mins via the aforementioned squad gambling, that's not that bad.

I was expecting something ridiculously huge.

I barely do those minigames but I guess I should start.

Bribes can get really expensive, but I just did a mission where they payed me 10 million, so I'm all good.

I don't think I will ever try and get the billion achievement, because I'm close to finishing it and I'm at 70 million or so.

Can anyone confirm is this game supports Southpaw in the control menu, also known as "Switch Thumbsticks"?

Kind if a seller for me.

raYne

Linkzg said:
Bribes can get really expensive, but I just did a mission where they payed me 10 million, so I'm all good.

I don't think I will ever try and get the billion achievement, because I'm close to finishing it and I'm at 70 million or so.
There's a billion achievement? The hell...

There better be a New Game+.

permutated said:
Can anyone confirm is this game supports Southpaw in the control menu, also known as "Switch Thumbsticks"?

Kind if a seller for me.
Nope. Basic inverted/non-inverted sticks is the extent of the control customization in the game. :/

DuckRacer

permutated said:

Kind if a seller for me.
It does.

And by "it does" I mean "it doesn't support any control customization at all ignoring sensitivity settings".

Duck said:
It does.

And by "it does" I mean "it doesn't support any control customization at all ignoring sensitivity settings".

Hey bud, your Puppy is alive and well, and by alive and well I mean he was run over several times by a bus, then set on fire, then flung into outerspace only to be hit by a meteor.

Want a lollie?

newsguy

newsguy said:
Also, I have a question about throwing beacons, smoke, etc. Is it possible to equip the damned things? I want to equip them so I can run up to whatever building and throw it with the touch of a button. So far the only option I see is to enter the D-pad menu and wherever I'm standing is where I throw the thing. I don't remember it being that way uin the orginal but I really don't remember. Help anyone?

I promise it's the last time I ask this, but I'm sure one of you has an answer. Is there truly no way to "equip" the smoke/beacons from the D-Pad menu? It sucks to stand still and go thru the D-Pad menu while armies shoot at me.

Just had my first co-op session with Brannon. Lots of fun! We cut it short a bit when we got disconnected, but we blew a ton of shit up while we were in game. Lots of fun!

raYne

newsguy said:
I promise it's the last time I ask this, but I'm sure one of you has an answer. Is there truly no way to "equip" the smoke/beacons from the D-Pad menu? It sucks to stand still and go thru the D-Pad menu while armies shoot at me.
Doesn't seem to be, 'cause you'd have your answer already if there were.

Particularly since this is a control option issue.. and you know how this game is with controls.

newsguy

raYne said:
Doesn't seem to be, 'cause you'd have your answer already if there were.

I just figured people were more concerned with superior versions and Anti Aliasing lessons to bother with a question about the actual game. Thx anyway, seems laser guiding will be my way to stay aways from the gunfire.

Teknoman

Duck dont forget to add my tag to the 360 list:

TeknomanEX

Also anyone feel free to jump in and help out at anytime on my friends list.

newsguy said:
I just figured people were more concerned with superior versions and Anti Aliasing lessons to bother with a question about the actual game. Thx anyway, seems laser guiding will be my way to stay aways from the gunfire.

I've been calling in a lot of artillery strikes to destroy buildings so far, and and while the system is a bit awkward, it does work. On the other hand, lasing a target probably won't always work, depending on the type of weapon you're using. You really should just get use to it.

It really helps if you clear out the majority of the resistance before calling in the strike.

Kingpen

Is there anyway to get a different vehicle to start out with at the mansion? I'm tired of hearing that Tea Leoni look-alike nag me out everytime for taking her pink muscle car out! :lol

I know i can call in a vehicle, but that costs oil and money.. I'm pretty much loving this game right now.

After putting a pile of hours in, i just have one question.

how many thumbs do the folks at pandemic have?

some of the button layouts are retarded. while your driving, R3 should be shoot, trigger should be gas, R3 should be aim gun

here, you have the choice of aiming or being on the throttle.

pr0cs

I spent all night playing the game, I initially wasn't going to buy it but I wanted to complete my 'set' of merc1 and mercs2 and looked at my "buy" list and nothing appears on it until late September so figured I could get away with it.
The game is fun, the explosions are pretty cool and when you time your stunts properly they can be pretty nifty too. There feels like there are a lot of vehicles and weapons (even early in the game) so it should maintain some of its interest for a while.
The game as a whole is pretty weak though, it should be mercs 1.5, they improved on some things but overall the game really feels last gen. I said it before, developing the PS2 version in tandem really hurt this game and to be honest I can't help but feel the PS2 version was also the reason why the game was delayed as well.
The world feels very sterile, very sandboxy. The endless repetition (voice) from the NPCs and main characters totally sucks you out of the game as well. The physics can be fun but often you'll get some really bizarre scenarios. The graphics are really weak save for the explosions, the destruction is pretty good but it takes a while to get to save up for/fine weapons that 'shock and aweable' so it feels like a lot of 'been there done that' gameplay to get to the exciting part.
The game doesn't really stand up well against games like GTA4 and Crackdown in terms of polish and doesn't look that good against ancient games like Saint's Row.
I'm hoping I get to play it a bit coop this week, hopefully it will improve my impression of the game.
It's fun but there is no way it's worth the full price of admission.

Kingpen

pr0cs said:
I spent all night playing the game, I initially wasn't going to buy it but I wanted to complete my 'set' of merc1 and mercs2 and looked at my "buy" list and nothing appears on it until late September so figured I could get away with it.
The game is fun, the explosions are pretty cool and when you time your stunts properly they can be pretty nifty too. There feels like there are a lot of vehicles and weapons (even early in the game) so it should maintain some of its interest for a while.
The game as a whole is pretty weak though, it should be mercs 1.5, they improved on some things but overall the game really feels last gen. I said it before, developing the PS2 version in tandem really hurt this game and to be honest I can't help but feel the PS2 version was also the reason why the game was delayed as well.
The world feels very sterile, very sandboxy. The endless repetition (voice) from the NPCs and main characters totally sucks you out of the game as well. The physics can be fun but often you'll get some really bizarre scenarios. The graphics are really weak save for the explosions, the destruction is pretty good but it takes a while to get to save up for/fine weapons that 'shock and aweable' so it feels like a lot of 'been there done that' gameplay to get to the exciting part.
The game doesn't really stand up well against games like GTA4 and Crackdown in terms of polish and doesn't look that good against ancient games like Saint's Row.
I'm hoping I get to play it a bit coop this week, hopefully it will improve my impression of the game.
It's fun but there is no way it's worth the full price of admission.

I'm sorry, but considering going that much on about graphics looking terrible, and then mentioning how it doesn't stand up to something like Saints Row isn't exactly fair. Every other Sandbox game out there does not have *everything* destructible + plus a layer of reserved processing power in case there is a co-op situation going on. I like all the sandbox games on the 360, but just feel that Mercs 2 is getting bagged on about the graphics far too much.

This game worth the price of admission because it is damn fun. I do hope your impression changes once you can put some more time into it....

Lilsnubby

I really liked the dark tone of the first game. This one seems really goofy and bad even without the awful repetitive VO. It's still fun to blow stuff up though. This game doesn't exacly scream "next-gen" and almost seems a step back from the first one, which I really liked.

raYne said:
How expensive?

I'm pretty much in the same situation, but I've been gambling with the crew (trial tests) and with that and normal playing, I've have built up almost 8 million. Haven't really gotten into the air strikes yet though and with fuel costs added, I don't want to use up my fortune needlessly.

I believe bribes are some sort of percentage based on your total money total. When I was starting out, bribes were just 100K, but when I had around 40 million, bribes were 8 mil. I think the highest I've seen a bribe is around 12 million, but I had nearly 100 mil by then.

Sectus

pr0cs said:
Well, that can't be true. A different company worked on the PS2 version. So having a lastgen version being developed had no effect besides requiring a bigger budget.

I think i fucked my save.

I didn't do anything with the allies, finished the storyline and now i can't get any missions from them, they aren't giving me an HVTs or shit to destroy.

31 hours in, i caught all the other HVTs, destroyed everything, but it doesn't look like i'll ever be able to 100% the damn game on this save.

Edit: My last manual save is right before the endgame starts. the option is there to do missions for the allies, but i can't do it since i'm on the last mission, and it won't let you cancel that contract. :(

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
SIP YEK NOD said:
Edit: My last manual save is right before the endgame starts. the option is there to do missions for the allies, but i can't do it since i'm on the last mission, and it won't let you cancel that contract. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, that always sucks when that happens in a game, however... thank you for the warning!

p.s. I played this for 4 hours last night. The bugs are still so embarrassing, but... me and my friend had so much fun in co-op. Blowing up UP boats is a fucking blast (no pun intended). If you haven't done that... take a boat, pull that bitch up next to the UP boat, call in the air strike and get the fuck out.

It's awesome watching this huge boat sink in the water... it's weird when said boat starts to sink through the earth below.

Kingpen said:
I'm sorry, but considering going that much on about graphics looking terrible, and then mentioning how it doesn't stand up to something like Saints Row isn't exactly fair. Every other Sandbox game out there does not have *everything* destructible + plus a layer of reserved processing power in case there is a co-op situation going on. I like all the sandbox games on the 360, but just feel that Mercs 2 is getting bagged on about the graphics far too much.

This game worth the price of admission because it is damn fun. I do hope your impression changes once you can put some more time into it....

I agree. People are acting like the game looks like complete shit or something, and I'm tired of hearing how this looks like a PS2 game, which is far from the case. At times it looks damn good, but it's not on par with something like GTA IV. Of course, Mercs has a lot of things going on that didn't happen in GTA either, and a higher level of interactivity.

I've heard a couple of people say the world is too sterile and I'd like someone to explain that for me, because for me, this isn't a sterile world at all. There is stuff going on all over the place, and I've come across random firefights all over the map. I see lots of traffic, both military and civilian, people moving about, aircraft flying, sometimes several in formation, and all kinds of stuff happening. For me, this feels about as a "alive" as any sandbox game I've played really.

pr0cs

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've heard a couple of people say the world is too sterile and I'd like someone to explain that for me, because for me, this isn't a sterile world at all. There is stuff going on all over the place, and I've come across random firefights all over the map. I see lots of traffic, both military and civilian, people moving about, aircraft flying, sometimes several in formation, and all kinds of stuff happening. For me, this feels about as a "alive" as any sandbox game I've played really.
The world is devoid of any sense of being real, the pedestrians are there but only to get in your way, certainly not to make it feel like the world is alive. The vehicles drive around but not with purpose, again to be there to get in the way, they don't feel at all like people out doing their business. Games like GTA4 and SR the pedestrians and traffic move with purpose they feel like they belong in the world and that they have their own 'agenda'. In mercs2 they feel like setpieces and are there only to fill some bullet-point on some checklist somewhere.

Sectus said:
Well, that can't be true. A different company worked on the PS2 version. So having a lastgen version being developed had no effect besides requiring a bigger budget.
That doesn't mean that they don't share a lot of the same game assets and mechanics of the game. The game feels very last gen, not just in graphics but in overall feel. maybe that's just the lack of polish but not a lot of the game feels next gen.

Kingpen said:
I understand what you're saying and I suppose it makes sense but couple the lesser graphics with the overall sterile feel of the game world (in the high population areas especially) and it makes the game come off feeling worse than maybe it is.

pr0cs said:
The world is devoid of any sense of being real, the pedestrians are there but only to get in your way, certainly not to make it feel like the world is alive. The vehicles drive around but not with purpose, again to be there to get in the way, they don't feel at all like people out doing their business. Games like GTA4 and SR the pedestrians and traffic move with purpose they feel like they belong in the world and that they have their own 'agenda'. In mercs2 they feel like setpieces and are there only to fill some bullet-point on some checklist somewhere.

Personally, I don't feel that the GTA IV or Saint's Row pedestrians and traffic are all that much better or different than those in Mercs. How can you tell that the pedestrians in those games are moving with any more purpose than they do in Mercs? Granted, I think the traffic patterns are more intelligent in GTA IV and the banter on the streets is a lot less repetitive, but the pedestrians and traffic are more or less to get in the way in that game as well.

pr0cs

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Personally, I don't feel that the GTA IV or Saint's Row pedestrians and traffic are all that much better or different than those in Mercs. How can you tell that the pedestrians in those games are moving with any more purpose than they do in Mercs? Granted, I think the traffic patterns are more intelligent in GTA IV and the banter on the streets is a lot less repetitive, but the pedestrians and traffic are more or less to get in the way in that game as well.
They'll stop at stoplights, react to your driving in a realistic way. They feel like they have someplace to go, a lot more so than Mercs2. In the overall purpose of the game it's a non-issue but as far as making the game feel believable they play a big part, for me anyway.

Mercs2 is a fun game, it just could have been so much better and against it's competition doesn't fare very well IMO. I still paid full price for it.

So I'm playing the Playstation3 version as you all know and while, overall the game is everything I'd hoped it be, there is one rather large point of contention:

The fucking controls ....mostly the on-foot aiming

On the PS3 version, is waaaay to slow!. To make things worse, different weapons have different looks speeds, so while an AK-74 is bareble (once you turn the look sensitivity ALL THE WAY UP), once you pick up a light MG or automatic MG, looking/aiming becomes painfully slow and debilitating...
It also doesn't help that a large area of the DS3's analog range is hardly even used, so fine tuning aiming becomes a bitch...
So I played for about 2 hours this morning and while I was absolutely gleeful with everything else going on, I kept getting fustrated/hung up on how pooish the aiming is the majority of the time. It just makes overall gunplay rather unsatisfying.

Oh and let me just reiterate one more time how much I detest having sprint mapped to L3

At this point, I'm seriously considering getting the PC version once impressions start rolling out

dak1dsk1

Banned
This is crap. You can't kill civilians. Instead of blood, they spatter sand... Mercenaries1 was fun, but damn Venezuela is BORING.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I want to try this, but not pay $60. I guess I'll wait until a price drop, unless anyone wants a Battlefield:BC (360) for either version of Merc2 :)

GQman2121

Banned
What's up with all these large pallets of money lying around that they're telling me I have to air lift out by chopper? They're not giving me an option to pick up this money, which is what I thought was the entire purpose of killing and blowing up this country to begin with.

GQman2121 said:
What's up with all these large pallets of money lying around that they're telling me I have to air lift out by chopper? They're not giving me an option to pick up this money, which is what I thought was the entire purpose of killing and blowing up this country to begin with.

Pallets are too large. Recruit I chopper pilot, then "steal" the money, and call him in to airlift it out. Super easy and you're $100k richer.

pr0cs

GQman2121 said:
You need to have hired a pilot (play the game normally, you'll get one).
Then you'll have to tag the pallets for pick (Y on the 360).
Then you'll have to call the pilot to tell him to pick them up (D-Pad pickup option).

I found that pretty fucking confusing too.

pr0cs said:
They'll stop at stoplights, react to your driving in a realistic way. They feel like they have someplace to go, a lot more so than Mercs2. In the overall purpose of the game it's a non-issue but as far as making the game feel believable they play a big part, for me anyway.

Mercs2 is a fun game, it just could have been so much better and against it's competition doesn't fare very well IMO. I still paid full price for it.

I do agree with what you are saying, but on the same hand can you blow up every building you see in GTA or Saints Row? Give credit to Merc's for what it does that those games don't as well. I would like a little more variety to the ped's and cars and all that to, but in the context of the game world they really aren't meant to be focused on all that much. You are meant to be out searching for targets or on a mission.

I do think its hilarious though how every random pedestrian seems to know your name.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I do agree with what you are saying, but on the same hand can you blow up every building you see in GTA or Saints Row? Give credit to Merc's for what it does that those games don't as well. I would like a little more variety to the ped's and cars and all that to, but in the context of the game world they really aren't meant to be focused on all that much. You are meant to be out searching for targets or on a mission.

I do think its hilarious though how every random pedestrian seems to know your name.

Right! And I like how if you change something in the Mercs world, it stays changed. For instance, when I was on a mission, I drove through a barricade on my way to a target, and later I had to return to the area, and was expecting to have to break through it again, but it was already destroyed and not replaced. In something like GTA, upon returning to an area you haven't been to in awhile, it's essentially reset.

pr0cs

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yeah, and maybe the game will improve for me once I have a lot more money and access to bigger weapons. Right now I don't have much money, don't have access to a lot of "WMD" type weapons and so I feel stuck at the pedestrian level where they're a lot more obvious.
perhaps once I get my own helicopter of doom, raining down fire and destruction or some crazy guided missles/nukes will the 'sterile' environment not matter when it's burning and in a pile of rubble.

I can't help but think a lot of the first missions should have been with some of the crazy vehicles/weapons to show you what you'll get further along in the game (to whet your appetite for destruction so to speak).
The game for me starts off really slow and hurts the initial impression.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Right! And I like how if you change something in the Mercs world, it stays changed. For instance, when I was on a mission, I drove through a barricade on my way to a target, and later I had to return to the area, and was expecting to have to break through it again, but it was already destroyed and not replaced. In something like GTA, upon returning to an area you haven't been to in awhile, it's essentially reset.

ABSOLUTELY!

This game ACTUALLY RETAINS SHIT!

Like I stole Fiona's car, went and did a mission but left it on the side of the road... I came back to the area like 20 minutes later and the car was still there!

pr0cs said:
I can't help but think a lot of the first missions should have been with some of the crazy vehicles/weapons to show you what you'll get further along in the game (to whet your appetite for destruction so to speak).

I concur

Well, played a decent amount of the game this weekend and overall its a blast. Yet it definetly has issues. The amount of draw in that occurs sometimes is rather weak. Sometimes it works fine, other times suddently a barracade appears in front of my car and I can't do anything but hit it. Maybe its just me, but I also found the game to be very confusing at the begining. I wasn't sure where I bought stuff, what the triangles were for, what were the main missions, etc. Granted now that I've played with the game for a bit, thats all understood yet at the begining I was sorta like "huh".

Now aside from that... blowing shit up has never been better! I did some co-op with a buddy of mine where we had to get on a oil rig and find a certain person on board. Lets just say the chaos and destruction then went down on that mission was INSANE! We were laughing, having a good time, and just causing complete mayhem. Word to the wise. Never send for a airstrike on a oil rig your currently still on!:lol

Overall the game has some visual glitches, odd ends, and at times can seem extrmemly unpolished. Yet at other times, things just come together so well, ending with some rather large destruction in our wake and I can't help but walk away from the game with a big grin on my face. :D

Kingpen

pr0cs said:
Yeah, and maybe the game will improve for me once I have a lot more money and access to bigger weapons. Right now I don't have much money, don't have access to a lot of "WMD" type weapons and so I feel stuck at the pedestrian level where they're a lot more obvious.
perhaps once I get my own helicopter of doom, raining down fire and destruction or some crazy guided missles/nukes will the 'sterile' environment not matter when it's burning and in a pile of rubble.

The game changes into a lot of fun once you can get helicoptors (and grapple up to jack them). I still need to introduce airstrikes into my game as I have not yet, but still having a blast. Tons of stuff to do as well.

Top Bottom