• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

newsguy said:
Edit: I also wanted to throw this out there for people just starting out. You don't only have to throw one C4 at a time. After you stick it, and it shows you the detonater in the HUD, you can tap left on the d-pad again and choose more C4. This wasn't obvious to me at first, but it's good to know because you can put C4 on 4 corners of pretty strong buildings and bring them down.

the_more_you_know2-730685.jpg

didn't know this, thanks!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
pr0cs said:
hope you have time to post impressions after you're a few hours in... also, what platform?

Picked up 360 version, but have the PS3 version coming in the mail from a buddy.

Going to go through the 360 version for the achievements and co-op, most likely. (no chat on PS3?)

newsguy

:lol Oddly, I had something similar happen in co-op, but as soon as the other person signed off the HVT fell to the ground dead and I was reprompted to verify

Kittonwy

Banned
Got game today (along with Disgaea 3), playin as black guy, pretty funny game. I like these EA merc games, Army of Two was kind of fun, I'm playin PS3 version btw, see you guyz online (those on my friends list).
KlintIndifference.gif

Decided to rent Mercs 2. I don't have the cash right now to buy. But I'll pick it up as soon as I can get it on sale.

I played the first 2 missions with random coop. It's decent only after 15 minutes of play. Explosions look nice. Tank controls are really floaty. And holy shit at the screen tearing. I've never noticed tearing in games before. It's terrible here.

I hope to play some coop with a mic before I take it back.

raYne

anddo0 said:
The nade launcher was easy, but forget about the pistol and sniper :|
'Cept for the sniper, they were all easy. The pistol did take me a few trys though as I'd get to the end with enough time left, but some nonsense would happen. Either one of the last targets needing two hits instead of one or bullets flying wild and just missing the target. I supposed it helps that Jen's fast as hell between locations.

I have no clue what's up with the lvl3 sniper though. I tried like 5 times in a row and it seems impossible.

Sectus

Well, fuck.

"Connection failed. The player you are attempting to play with is in a different region than this one."

Brannon

Level 3 sniper is doable if you look left and right and shoot a barrel next to each car (four cars), shoot the statues being carried by the helicopter and the car and scramble to shoot the remaining few portraits. The barrels will blow up multiple portraits for you.

Level 3 Winching Challenge is absolutely pathetic in difficulty. Super-easy money right there!

raYne

Brannon said:
Level 3 sniper is doable if you look left and right and shoot a barrel next to each car (four cars), shoot the statues being carried by the helicopter and the car and scramble to shoot the remaining few portraits. The barrels will blow up multiple portraits for you.

Level 3 Winching Challenge is absolutely pathetic in difficulty. Super-easy money right there!
Makes sense. Never crossed my mind that the barrel/car explosion results is predetermined and would help you do it.

Will try later. :D

raYne

Sinatar said:
The challenges don't change when doing coop, so sniper 3 is easy with 2 people.
Wait.. so in something like the airstrike challenge, which is already easy as hell, you have 4 strikes between the two of you? Jesus.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
raYne said:
Wait.. so in something like the airstrike challenge, which is already easy as hell, you have 4 strikes between the two of you? Jesus.

With that challenge you still only have 2 strikes (1 each).

saunderez

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
And holy shit at the screen tearing. I've never noticed tearing in games before. It's terrible here.

What version? I've played probably 10 hours and the only time screen tearing was noticeable was when I did the boat prototype mission for PLAV.

newsguy

SpudBud said:
Fuel Air RPG = Fucking awesome.

I noticed in co-op that my buddy was driving that buggy with the rockets and I'm pretty sure it's fuel air. He shot one at a medium sized building, I saw what looked ike a swoosh of air and it went down. Badass.

saunderez said:
What version? I've played probably 10 hours and the only time screen tearing was noticeable was when I did the boat prototype mission for PLAV.

I'm playing the US ps3 version. The tearing is the worst in the cutscenes.

raYne

Just beat the lvl3 sniper test (thanks Brannon <3). Seems everyone gets that shitty Chicken suit as one of the costumes.

Catsuit >>>> Chicken Suit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
saunderez said:
Ah alright. I'm playing the 360 version and by and large screen tearing is non-existent.
That might explain why that was the only version at PAX. This was an issue in Battlefield: Bad Company as well. Is it just an EA thing or an industry wide problem?

SpudBud

Beat the last mission, the final fight was
a QTE.
So lame. :/

The nuke was AWESOME but I have yet to find a way to get another one.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Played an hour... so far in the very beginning stages. I just got my "base of operations" and decided to quit and save (and go home for dinner). I did a quick check of my stats and it says 7% completed.

What the fuck? 7% and that was the intro tutorial linear mission?

I really thought the gunplay would be a bit tighter but I can deal with what's here. After all, I played the crap out of Just Cause and other less worthy shooters simply because the game itself is fun. And so far, even in the very first couple missions, Mercs 2 is pretty fun.

Graphically, the game fluctuates wildly between looking pretty great and being completely mediocre (but adequate nonetheless). Like most people have already said, shit blows up real good and the chaos is pretty sweet, even in the first couple missions.

Alright, hope this game has legs and length.

saunderez said:
Ah alright. I'm playing the 360 version and by and large screen tearing is non-existent.
well, my buddy had the 360 version and the tearing is there in the cutscenes from what I've seen. That's the only place i've seen it in the ps3 version, and it's only really horrible during the first scenes. Its just like Kand and Lynch for some reason, horrible tearing right at the first part, then it goes away.

I'm going on in 5-10 minutes for co-op.

chespace said:
Played an hour... so far in the very beginning stages. I just got my "base of operations" and decided to quit and save (and go home for dinner). I did a quick check of my stats and it says 7% completed.

I really thought the gunplay would be a bit tighter but I can deal with what's here. After all, I played the crap out of Just Cause and other less worthy shooters simply because the game itself is fun. And so far, even in the very first couple missions, Mercs 2 is pretty fun.

Graphically, the game fluctuates wildly between looking pretty great and being completely mediocre (but adequate nonetheless). Like most people have already said, shit blows up real good and the chaos is pretty sweet, even in the first couple missions.

Alright, hope this game has legs and length.

You will see the percent shoot up during the intro missions, but percent gaining gets really slow when you are settled in (have all the crew toegether and all that stuff).

raYne

chespace said:

It's been stated a few times, but it's only going fast as you're getting the team together and it doesn't count a lot (any?) of the side missions towards your completion percentage. After that point, the progress slows down considerably.

I have a crap-load of hours into the game, playing at least 6+ hours per day since Sunday and only have a 66% completion status and just unlocked my 3rd faction.

edit:
Just checked my current stats:
Total Play time: 35:39:57
% complete: 66%

Doesn't seem short to me.

saunderez

BobTheFork said:
well, my buddy had the 360 version and the tearing is there in the cutscenes from what I've seen. That's the only place i've seen it in the ps3 version, and it's only really horrible during the first scenes. Its just like Kand and Lynch for some reason, horrible tearing right at the first part, then it goes away.

The cutscenes at the start are all pre-recorded video. The gameplay itself has next to no tearing.

Flunkie

Banned
The more I play this game, the more I love it and overlook any problems I had with it. Bottom line.. it's just mad fun.

Top Bottom