• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

Sectus

"#¤€$!"#¤"!"¤%"#%#¤@

The netcode is actually really really good. I tried some matches with different people, some with me hosting and other games I joined. The experience is flawless, I couldn't feel any lag.

So why the fuck does the game have region protected multiplayer? I'd REALLY like to play with some of my friends in USA.

saunderez

Sectus said:
So why the fuck does the game have region protected multiplayer? I'd REALLY like to play with some of my friends in USA.

Is it region protected by gamertag region or disc? I imported the US NTSC copy and I'll be a little irritated if I can't play with my Aussie mates.

raYne

Duck said:
How do you check your playtime?
Instead of just hitting continue, go to options and select "manage saves" or whatever it is. You can manually load a file from there and it'll have all the info on it.

Sectus

saunderez said:
Is it region protected by gamertag region or disc? I imported the US NTSC copy and I'll be a little irritated if I can't play with my Aussie mates.
It seems to be protected by disc. Remember that the game isn't region free either, so if you're getting a US copy you also need a US 360.

EA should stop this region protection bullshit. It makes no sense.

AkuMifune

Banned
Sectus said:
It seems to be protected by disc. Remember that the game isn't region free either, so if you're getting a US copy you also need a US 360.

How can it be EA when the PS3 version isn't?

Sectus

AkuMifune said:
How can it be EA when the PS3 version isn't?
I'm talking about the region protection put into the actual game which prevents you from playing with people from other regions, not the region protection on the disc (although EA should drop that too from the 360 version). I'm pretty darn sure the PS3 version also has the same region protection. Hopefully the PC version doesn't have a limit like that.

Hammer24

Banned
Got the game yesterday, and its fun. Yes, there are countless glitches, even frustrating ones, but the gameplay thus far outweights this problems. Personally I´d like the game to be a bit more tactical, but this might still come as I´m barely two hours in.

Acid08

Banned
I want to really like this game. Something about it though keeps pulling me away. I hate that factions turn so easily. Still having fun, but I'm bummed I spent $60 on this.

Brannon said:
Level 3 sniper is doable if you look left and right and shoot a barrel next to each car (four cars), shoot the statues being carried by the helicopter and the car and scramble to shoot the remaining few portraits. The barrels will blow up multiple portraits for you.

Level 3 Winching Challenge is absolutely pathetic in difficulty. Super-easy money right there!

thanks

endlessflood said:
Sorry if already posted, but check out this co-op glitch, it cracks me up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/261237.html?playlist=featured

:lol OMG

I already saw it in stores here in the Netherlands, but I'm just going with the PC version that'll come out soon, just because it's cheaper. Not going to do co-op, since none of my friends will be getting this so why pay more.

Llyranor

This is stupid. I bought this game specifically to play with someone in another region (in fact, the ONLY reason I got it). I'll have to try to return it or something, if that's even possible. First Army of 2, now this. Why is EA the only publisher for which their games are multiplayer region-locked? This is bordering on deception - they could have been forthright about it.

MMaRsu

Llyranor said:
This is stupid. I bought this game specifically to play with someone in another region (in fact, the ONLY reason I got it). I'll have to try to return it or something, if that's even possible. First Army of 2, now this. Why is EA the only publisher for which their games are multiplayer region-locked? This is bordering on deception - they could have been forthright about it.

Does it say so on the box? If not that's fucking ridiculous and that IS deception.

saunderez

Sectus said:

Ah well.....that guarantees the only Aussie I'll be playing with is a fellow NTSC owner. I think most of my friends got scared off by the reviews (no matter what I've told them after 15+ hours) so it's not really a big deal I guess.

painey

any tips for the church mission? i was doing fine until the assault from both sides, and then the church fell in seconds

The hijacking is driving me nuts, ESPECIALLY the helicopter jacking.

seems that no matter how fast you tap that damn button, you can't get it on the first try. Not so bad with the tank. But to grapple a heli and to fall about 600 feet to your death is not cool.

saunderez

painey said:
any tips for the church mission? i was doing fine until the assault from both sides, and then the church fell in seconds
I just stayed out the back and kept hijacking their tanks and using them to destroy the tanks as they came in. It's best to stay a bit in front of the grenade launcher and recoilless rifle emplacements but don't get between them and the enemy.

Outcast2004 said:
The hijacking is driving me nuts, ESPECIALLY the helicopter jacking.

seems that no matter how fast you tap that damn button, you can't get it on the first try. Not so bad with the tank. But to grapple a heli and to fall about 600 feet to your death is not cool.
Sounds like your controller is borked. I've only failed a heli hijacking a grand total of once.

Doc Evils said:
How the hell did this game get the green flag to get released with bugs like that. o_O

Because those bugs are few and far between; I know I've never seen anything like that.

MMaRsu said:
Does it say so on the box? If not that's fucking ridiculous and that IS deception.

I'm not near the box now, so I can't check, but I'm not sure why they'd put something like that directly on the box. If anything, it's probably in the EA ToS you automatically agree with when you sign in (available for viewing in the multiplayer options if I'm not mistaken).

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Peronthious said:
Because those bugs are few and far between; I know I've never seen anything like that.

I've had quite a few things like that happen...

Randomly exploding vehicles and jet skis? Check...

Cars like witches? Check...

People flying through the air possessed? Check...

I'd say it happens at least once an hour every time I play.

saunderez said:
I just stayed out the back and kept hijacking their tanks and using them to destroy the tanks as they came in. It's best to stay a bit in front of the grenade launcher and recoilless rifle emplacements but don't get between them and the enemy.

Sounds like your controller is borked. I've only failed a heli hijacking a grand total of once.
No, controller is fine, I'm probably just losing reaction time as I get older. I've successfully jacked ONE chopper. I fell to my death on the last one I tried.

MMaRsu

Peronthious said:

I'm not near the box now, so I can't check, but I'm not sure why they'd put something like that directly on the box. If anything, it's probably in the EA ToS you automatically agree with when you sign in (available for viewing in the multiplayer options if I'm not mistaken).

Imo it's quite deceiving the customer. People assume you can play with people all around the world, like any normal 360 game. For fuck sake EA wth is this crap :S

RavenHawk

Did a bit of co-op with a friend of mine last night and discovered a cheap, yet effective way of destroying VZ outposts, HVT targets, and buildings. I would drive around and locate a VZ jeep, truck, or APC and pick a fight with them. While they were busy shooting at me, my friend, who was hovering above me in his helicopter would drop down and grapple the unsuspecting vehicle. Next step is to fly over to the designated target and "reunite" the vehicle and occupants with the rest of their faction members from an altitude of 300 feet or so. Highly effective, especially when a few C4 charges are added to the vehicle or a fuel tank is in the camp.

Pretty funny bug last night- I was in the pirate camp and I hopped in a truck. When I laid on the horn to attract a nearby clutch of pirates, they immediately ran into the two tables they were standing near, flipping one over. They ran up against it, trapped, until the table broke and they all died. wtf?

One of the smartest additions to the gameplay in Mercs 2 is the resource management system. I love being able to customize your support options and finding resources in the field is a really cool, organic way to suck you into firefights. My big complaint with the system is that shopping is a bitch- every outpost of a faction should sell everything that faction sells so you don't have to go around to every outpost looking for X. Even in a helicopter, it takes a long time to get around.

Loving this game more and more, especially now that I have airstrikes. What's the cheapest laser-guided bomb and where do I get it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So just how large is the game world in comparison to other similar games? Does it even begin to approach the incredible size of the islands in Just Cause?

pr0cs

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You don't have to bribe them. Start going after the HVT's on their wanted lists or destroying buildings that are their targets. You'll soon come up in their estimation and they'll offer you missions. Bribing is just throwing money away in my opinion.

Of course, part of the fun of the game is trying to balance your relationships with the different factions. It's not Mercs if at least one of them isn't shooting at you. :lol
Well at this point I think I'm stuck, I spent an hour last night blowing UP stuff up and all it did was make them hostile to me and PLAV still is hostile.
Talking to Fiona she says I should go talk to PLAV but I can't because they're hostile to me.

I presume bribes are done through Fiona?

Kittonwy

Banned
Acid08 said:
I want to really like this game. Something about it though keeps pulling me away. I hate that factions turn so easily. Still having fun, but I'm bummed I spent $60 on this.

This is no AAA game and was never going to be. I know people like games like this, I bought a copy but it's good but by no means a great game. Good sloppy fun but I think that's really what it is.

Acid08

Banned
Kittonwy said:
This is no AAA game and was never going to be. I know people like games like this, I bought a copy but it's good but by no means a great game. Good sloppy fun but I think that's really what it is.
That's true. Like I said I'm stilll having fun but there's enough amazing games coming soon. I just really wish they had used that extra year and a half of dev time to good use.

Varshes

Okay, I love this game, but I can't play a co-op game on 360. Won't let me connect to the EA servers. I've tried joining a game through the dash, and still nothing...anyone find a real solution to this problem?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sectus said:

Its not necessarily "protection", but more likely a logistical decision. Could very well be a decision motivated by servers and dependence on low ping times in order to keep the online user bases clustered physically close together to keep the experience high. It also could just be a symptom of development, as as getting platform manufacturer approval for cross regional multiplayer is harder given slightly different executables and likely more complex test requirements and longer testing periods.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Y2Kev said:
They gave the original an 8.8. I don't really get that.
Gamespot is pretty irrelevant after most of their talent left. But I don't think anyone expected this to win GOTY anyways. They probably should have shaved a little bit off the price to make up for some of the rough edges.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I seriously dont know whats going on with reviews recently. A lot of his comments seem silly. You can easily get RPG ammo just about anywhere, on top of being able to fucking air drop multiple kits with RPG's in them at any time. Did he really complain about driving from area to area in an open world game? Even if that has been in this type of game since GTA 3 created it, you can get Ewan to take you pretty much anywhere once u found a landing pad. On top of the contracts, you have the 100 spare parts, HVT's, destruction's and bounties take care of. All o fthe shop items to open up as well.

Im not saying he should have givin the game a 9 or 10, but a 5? Seriously? It has bugs, and pop in, and glitches but its not really THAT bad.

dork

Banned
Im assuming it was a gaffer i played with tonight on 360

THanks for your help. Co-op is so much better than singleplayer. Makes things easier.

raYne

_tetsuo_ said:
I seriously dont know whats going on with reviews recently. A lot of his comments seem silly. You can easily get RPG ammo just about anywhere, on top of being able to fucking air drop multiple kits with RPG's in them at any time. Did he really complain about driving from area to area in an open world game? Even if that has been in this type of game since GTA 3 created it, you can get Ewan to take you pretty much anywhere once u found a landing pad. On top of the contracts, you have the 100 spare parts, HVT's, destruction's and bounties take care of. All o fthe shop items to open up as well.

Im not saying he should have givin the game a 9 or 10, but a 5? Seriously? It has bugs, and pop in, and glitches but its not really THAT bad.
There's a lot of stuff that's factually wrong in the review, but I have no idea if it's a result of the reviewer not paying attention or the day one patch fixing a bunch of issues. Probably a mix of both.

Weapons feel weak, it's difficult to hit moving targets, and the damage they cause is inconsistent
-Headshots drop enemies in one hit.
-The control issue is his own considering the game has quite a bit of aim magnetism and then you'd only have to lead the target.
-Soldiers have different degrees of armor, so duh some are easier to take out than others. Though headshots with rifles/snipers etc still drop them in one hit.

Heavier weapons such as rocket-propelled grenades are great and can destroy almost anything they hit, but the amount of ammunition (which, for some reason, you have to hit a button to pick up) is so limited that you won't be able to use them often.
-RPG ammo is all over the place. Not only dropped RPGs from dead soldiers, but they'll often be in ammo crates.
-You only have to manually pick up ammo from a dropped weapon. Otherwise you just run over an ammo box (which are also all over the place, in ammo crates, dropped by soldiers etc) and those get picked up automatically.

one stray bullet can anger an entire faction
-Wrong. It's a hostility meter, not an on/off switch. A stray bullet, hell a stray tank shell, may anger the troops in the immediate area, but no one outside of that 20 foots radius cares. Plus, if you leave the area and return they've already forgotten about it.

random friendly soldiers will blow up your cars
-If you're disguised in an enemy vehicle, yes.

and helicopters are frequently shot out of the sky by missiles that rarely miss
-Even anti-air missles can be easily avoided can if you've ever played a game in your life. Everything else can be dodged by changing direction or moving 2 feet.

It's too bad that airstrikes are of limited value, because you often can't get close enough or avoid being shot long enough to line up the target.
-So use the satellite guided strikes or the laser guided ones from safety. Even the smoke beacon guided strikes are easy to use. All you do it select it from safety, run to where you want to toss the beacon and the next time you hit up, it'll already be at the option you want. So it's all of two button presses (1 second) to call in those.

Enemy AI is horrific. If you're injured you can just run behind a building to regenerate--soldiers won't make much of an effort to find you.
-I've had multiple soldiers, tanks and choppers chase me around buildings to get to me. They aren't particularly good, but they certainly aren't dense.

Combat falls flat because shooting guys takes longer and is more difficult than simply running up to them and killing them with one punch;
-Nope. See headshot usage/reviewer control issue.

As for a bunch of other non-bug complaints, he's basically complaining that it's Mercenaries. :lol

edit:
Oh, I finally saw a shipping crate floating in mid-air earlier. So this makes a total of one bug that I've experienced.

Llyranor

The lack of cross-region play completely ruins the game for me (whole point was to co-op with a buddy from the UK). I'll trade it in for Infinite Undiscovery or something.

Top Bottom