• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

Sectus

Can anyone confirm this?

In the NTSC version, when capturing HVTs you have to subdue the target and call in an extraction chopper.

In the PAL version, when capturing HVTs you only have to subdue them.

Does it work like that for everybody with PAL and NTSC versions?

If so... what the heck? Why is it different for each version?

Brashnir

PjotrStroganov said:
Got the urge to buy the game today and decided to check this topic again and some some reviews.

Ehrm, what's the next 'too get' game for Xbox 360?

Rock Band 2. (assuming you already have or aren't interested in Viva Pinata 2)

Sectus said:
Can anyone confirm this?

In the NTSC version, when capturing HVTs you have to subdue the target and call in an extraction chopper.

I've got the PAL PS3 version and I have to subdue the HVT and then call in the extraction chopper.

mileS said:
How big is the install on PS3?

Just under 3gbs.

Sectus

Bootaaay said:
I've got the PAL PS3 version and I have to subdue the HVT and then call in the extraction chopper.
Hmm, alright. Perhaps it's specific to the 360 version. By the way, can you check if PS3 version has region protected multiplayer? Can you play with people in USA?

So what's up with almost every other billboard in the game promoting that new Deniro/Pacino movie that comes out next weekend? It started to get a little distracting after a bit.

Huggy

ThirdEngine said:
So what's up with almost every other billboard in the game promoting that new Deniro/Pacino movie that comes out next weekend? It started to get a little distracting after a bit.

Are you kidding? Wow. Guess that's another reason the game connects with the EA servers at boot.
I always start my game before it's connected.

S1kkZ

Sectus said:
Can anyone confirm this?

If so... what the heck? Why is it different for each version?

do you have the german version of mercs 2?

MattyH said:
what billboards
ive had none
must be a us only thing
I just started to notice them last night. Red billboards promoting 'Righteous Kill' with Deniro and Pacino on it. They were fucking everywhere.

Huggy said:
Are you kidding? Wow. Guess that's another reason the game connects with the EA servers at boot.
I always start my game before it's connected.
Haha I figured that's where it was coming from. Why EA would put those in the game is beyond me. Connect to the servers before starting if you want a good laugh.

Sectus

S1kkZ said:
do you have the german version of mercs 2?
Nope, it's the normal PAL release. Can anyone else with the PAL 360 version check if they have to call for extraction helicopters when capturing HVTs?

I've played it a bit more (currently a bit past when the AN and china rush in), and I'm still surprised at how easy this game is. I've gone through several missions that the game made seem like they were much harder than they actually were, what with Fiona recommending total devastation for a cakewalk.

Stupid AI mistakes aside (rockets and point blank range next to a fuel tank, destroying the structure they're standing on, etc.), the enemies do not seem even as smart as they were in Mercs 1. The guys on Giant Bomb were spot on when they said the combat doesn't require much at all; melee = instant kill = >_<.

Going back to Mercs 1 again, it may just be the way this game is presented, but the first one seemed a lot bigger. Right at the beginning you knew you had 52 people to kidnap/kill, and it was made out to be quite an adventure, not even counting the numerous side quests floating around. Much more of the stress in Mercs 2 seems to be placed on the side quests; the massive checklist on the Log screen shows that perfectly.

And the health system...ugh, 1-20 is the same as 20-100. I realize the game is meant to be very arcade-like, but I should not be able to jump out of a chopper at full height and survive, even with 1 health remaining (which itself may as well be 20 health). On the same note, a direct hit with a rocket launcher, or even a close by one, should kill me when I have less than 50 health.

Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy the game for what it is, and that's a fun "blow shit up" game. Fun for fun's sake isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the co-op really is a blast, but there are definite annoying flaws.

Duck said:
I'm loving Mercs 2, but I'd try to find it at $30/$40 if you're buying it.

This.

DuckRacer

PjotrStroganov said:
Got the urge to buy the game today and decided to check this topic again and some some reviews.

Ehrm, what's the next 'too get' game for Xbox 360?
Rock Band 2 definitely. I'm loving Mercs 2, but I'd try to find it at $30/$40 if you're buying it.

raYne

ThirdEngine said:
You do know that they aren't extra billboards, right? They just changed the ads on the existing billboards in the game. So they really cant be any more distracting than they were in the first place.

On the plus side, you can always blow them up if they bother you so much and, just like the "normal" billboards, you'll get 5K a pop as well.

Argyle

M_A_C said:
People having PC problems, turn off the motion blur. It looks and runs amazing, on my 8800gt at 1080p, after I did that. It looks 10 times better than the PS3 version I rented.

That being said, the game is kinda meh.

I bought the PC version for shits and giggles, and I was surprised at how poorly it runs with water effects turned on.

Q9300 @ 3.07GHz
4850 x 2 CF
Vista 64

I get 1080p with 8xAA, 60fps for the most part with everything turned on but water effects. The moment I turn that on, bam, 15fps :p Is anyone else seeing that on the PC version? (maybe it needs more than 512MB of VRAM?)

Haruspex

Banned
My brother bought this game despite me warning against and after watching him play I can confirm it is boom-boom dipshit fodder for teenage boys. Not to mention there are technical problems abound, shoddy AI and cheap attempts to rein the player in to specific areas of the map.

Javaman

SailorDaravon said:
Wow, here's a new one; my friend who is playing as Jen joined another friend's (not mine) game where his character was Mattias. When he joined, his Jen character became Mattias...permanently. Now on his main profile/game screen, the character portrait and name are blank, and in-game he is permanently Mattias now. Wow :lol

Same thing happened to me the other day...

Javaman said:
I joined someone else's game tonight and had a blast (went from $4,000,000 to $45,000,000) but whenever I loaded the game my character is now the mohawk dude instead of the chick. WTF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12676400&postcount=947

Freaking bullshit. I'm going to have to start my career over.

Gigglepoo

The mohawk guy is one of the most hideous looking protagonists around. Jen could walk with a limp and only use a butter knife and she would still be a better character.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gigglepoo said:
The mohawk guy is one of the most hideous looking protagonists around. Jen could walk with a limp and only use a butter knife and she would still be a better character.
>GigglePoo
RaptorRex.jpg

I disagree

decon

Just got the game, I'm 20% in according to my score stats. Here's a question; how do you pick up cash and weapons that you find on the map? The ones that needs to be picked up by a chopper. I walk up to the item and press /_\ and an icon pop ups saying that there's a chopper on the way. Nothing really happens though, and if I take a look in my PDA I can see that I haven't got more cash/weapons. What am I doing wrong?

Zabojnik

It's probably me and not the game not giving a fuck about explaining what certain icons mean, but still: what am I supposed to press here (PC version)?

Merc2.jpg

Also, any tricks to the resolution problem? I can only get it as high as 1280x720 in widescreen mode, not much higher in 4:3. Yet I hear some people are playing the game at 1920x1200. What gives?

decon

Zabojnik said:
It's probably me and not the game not giving a fuck about explaining what certain icons mean, but still: what am I supposed to press here (PC version)?

Also, any tricks to the resolution problem? I can only get it as high as 1280x720 in widescreen mode, not much higher in 4:3. Yet I hear some people are playing the game at 1920x1200. What gives?
It's jump in the PS3 version. Looks like a jump icon :p

Fowler

I think there is something I'm fundamentally "not getting" about Mercenaries, because I cannot beat one of the first freaking missions.

I'm on the UP mission where you need to drop three towers to triangulate the location of a hostage. I keep getting wiped out on the southernmost base. Between the tank and the MAGIC BUILDING FULL OF TROOPS WITH ROCKET LAUNCHERS nothing I've tried has worked. I tried sniping, leading UP Ravens in, calling in cluster bombs, charging straight in, raining grenades from a hill... NOTHING has worked. @()#*)$)*)@($@)$*)*@#)@*$)$

Fowler said:
I think there is something I'm fundamentally "not getting" about Mercenaries, because I cannot beat one of the first freaking missions.

I'm on the UP mission where you need to drop three towers to triangulate the location of a hostage. I keep getting wiped out on the southernmost base. Between the tank and the MAGIC BUILDING FULL OF TROOPS WITH ROCKET LAUNCHERS nothing I've tried has worked. I tried sniping, leading UP Ravens in, calling in cluster bombs, charging straight in, raining grenades from a hill... NOTHING has worked. @()#*)$)*)@($@)$*)*@#)@*$)$

Toss c4 on the building where they keep spawning. 1 pack will blow it up. Or an RPG works. And cluster bomb will only take out troops, not buildings. Use artillery or bombing run for that.

raYne

Fowler said:

Jack the tank.
Blow up the Rocket house.
???
Profit.

I play as a sniper, so I take out the guards near the alarm from long distance if possible. That way, the rocket house never gets activated. But if they do, you can just C4 it and take it out.

raYne

Flunkie said:
Ending spoiler:

The ending was lame. A QTE? Really?

Nuclear Bunker Buster and Fuel-Air RPG/Airstrike FTW!
Yeah, someone revealed that sometime last week. Oh well.

I have a question since you're done. You can continue to play after you finish the story, right? I'm wondering if I should finish off my HVTs and target buildings for the various factions first..

Flunkie

Banned
raYne said:
Yeah, someone revealed that sometime last week. Oh well.

I have a question since you're done. You can continue to play after you finish the story, right? I'm wondering if I should finish off my HVTs and target buildings for the various factions first..
Oh, definitely. You can keep playing after you beat the main story. I'm planning to go through and get all the HVTs tonight.

raYne

Flunkie said:
Oh, definitely. You can keep playing after you beat the main story. I'm planning to go through and get all the HVTs tonight.
Nice. :D I'll probably do the same and finish up the story and then take on the other side missions afterwards.

On a side note, I manual saved at the point where you have to
choose between the Allied or Chinese forces
. Finshed one off last night and will reload to finish off the other one later just to see the difference. The end result is probably the same though.

You can still do HVTs and targets and standing bounties, but no more side missions. Make sure you do those before you finish the story.

Duck said:
Rock Band 2 definitely. I'm loving Mercs 2, but I'd try to find it at $30/$40 if you're buying it.

It's my luck that my brother buys a lot more games than me, including Mercs 2, so I guess I will be borrowing it for a while after he's done with it. Both the Rock Band and Viva Pinata franchises don't do much for me but the Pure demo struck a cord.

Pimpbaa

WrikaWrek said:
q9450
4GB
Hd4870

I can run Crysis on DX10 well, can't believe this shit runs so bad. I messed up with the setting, btw, the resolution options are HORRIBLE, 1024*768 then it jumps to 1280*920 or some shit, and no higher.

I finally figured out a way to get better performance, put shaders on low but still this game is running at sub 30 fps, and i ain't turning off shadows and shit like that.

And i have AA off btw. Uninstalling.

Glad I jumped the gun and got the 360 version (was impatient about hearing how it performed on pc). Anyway, I love this game. As a Mercs 1 fan, I am not let down in any way.

Vyer

decon said:
Just got the game, I'm 20% in according to my score stats. Here's a question; how do you pick up cash and weapons that you find on the map? The ones that needs to be picked up by a chopper. I walk up to the item and press /_\ and an icon pop ups saying that there's a chopper on the way. Nothing really happens though, and if I take a look in my PDA I can see that I haven't got more cash/weapons. What am I doing wrong?

You have to drop the marker as well. On 360 this is just pressing up on the dpad and hitting A to toss the smoke grenade.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
This game sure is buggy. :p

And its missions are the same thing over and over again.

So why can't I stop playing it?

jrricky

Banned
WTF at the post above.:lol:lol

I love this game by the way.

Heres a story though. I had a glitch the other day when I started my saved file.
Started running around outside,but didnt see anyone on the roads, not one car or person.
I was empty on RPGs so I throw out a smoke bomb to call up an RPG supply drop, and I heard a woman scream (WTF?:lol ) and I looked around but the place was barren.
I started to get creeped out by the way lol. The supply heli never came either but I heard the sound of it. So I continued to follow the road by running and I found houses that were so blurry and low textured it was creepin the hell out of some more.

Then the fog sets in, lol. So I kept running to find a city that was alive, but i couldnt see much cause the fog was thick as hell. After a while of running senselessly my chara started to fall for 5 secs (I was panickin as hell too lol). I FELL IN THE OCEAN OF NO RETURN. I was so shocked, I turned the game off for atleast 10 minutes and booted up back with everything workin again. My disk was haunted lol.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
chespace said:
This game sure is buggy. :p

And its missions are the same thing over and over again.

So why can't I stop playing it?

The missions are as varied as you want them to be. If the game is repetitive it's only because you're playing it that way.

Gowans

I was gona skip this and picked up viva and IU instead, not clicking with IU so gona swap it back for this.

Anyone up for a co-op run through in a couple of hours let me know, in the mood for some mindless fun.

Darklord

Banned
Whats the replay value on this game? I probably won't be doing much co-op so is single player worth it? I don't mind bugs, I find the best games are riddled with them but is it the type of game you play, finish and never pick up again?

decon said:
Can no one tell how to get the chopper to pick up cash, weapons etc. on the map? :(

press y when you are at a cash dump or fuel tank, after that press up on the d-pad and choose pick-up it's a chopper icon.

no one

Top Bottom