• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

Kabuki Waq said:
the IGN score puts this firmly in Rental zone for me.

Sad to hear that, especially that you reference the score and not the review. I'll definitely be picking it up in a few hours regardless; replaying Mercs 1 hyped me for this to no end.

calder

Ugh, the reviews all talk a great deal about constant bugs and shitty AI. The IGN review makes a passing reference to the game being somewhat short (I loved getting every card in the first game, really took my time with it and completed every single mission). Not so sure about this anymore... but damn I want a game to play for the rest of the long weekend.

squicken

Since it's the same reviewer . . . Nick, are you saying this game is just ever so slightly better than Alone in the Dark? That's not a ringing endorsement.

Teknoman

Doesnt 1up usually rate games harder than most sites? At least I was under that impression for quite awhile. Its strange too because Hilary gave both Infinite Undiscovery and Mercs 2 a 7.something score, yet 1up gave both games B range scores.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
*waits for PS3 impressions before opening wallet*

GTA4 left me want some decent sandboxy games : (

Playstation3 was the lead platform....I'm sure you'll be fine

But I'll be picking it up in a few hours if you really need the endorsement

Kingpen

My most wanted game since Jan 2005 will be in my hands in 10 minutes. I don't think I was anticipating a game as much as this one. Hell yea. Leaving now to get it.

For the sake of it...was playing Mercs1 on PS2 the other day

FUUUUUUUUCK I forgot how amazing the music was!!! :D :D :D

Unfortuntely I'd gotten too used to playing the Xbox version and couldn't stand the lack of 5.1 (which was a BIG deal in Mercs1) and the framerate. So I had to get rid of it....will have to rebuy the xbox version again at some point

Teknoman said:
Doesnt 1up usually rate games harder than most sites? At least I was under that impression for quite awhile. Its strange too because Hilary gave both Infinite Undiscovery and Mercs 2 a 7.something score, yet 1up gave both games B range scores.

A 7. something at IGN means "Good," a B something from 1up means "Good," what's the problem?

a 7.9 is on the high range of "Good" a B+ is on the high range of "Good."

Xater

AgentOtaku said:
dude...cmon.

It's a "good" score

What, you have to exclusively play 8.5 and up games only?

Sheesh

Nope but in a fall this crowded it looks like I can pass on it. It's just a money thing for me.

I have no problem with lower rated games because I was the one who quite liked Army of Two.

I may end up just renting it somewhere down the line who knows.

Timber

AgentOtaku said:
For the sake of it...was playing Mercs1 on PS2 the other day

FUUUUUUUUCK I forgot how amazing the music was!!! :D :D :D

Unfortuntely I'd gotten too used to playing the Xbox version and couldn't stand the lack of 5.1 (which was a BIG deal in Mercs1) and the framerate. So I had to get rid of it....will have to rebuy the xbox version again at some point
IGN's review doesn't mention the music at all and it gets a 5.0 in the sound department. Overlooking such a major element in a review is bad enough in itself, but I get the feeling he judged the sound purely on the voice acting and NPC banter (or lack thereof). A shame, because the soundtrack in the first Mercenaries was fantastic, if a little repetitive. You don't expect a sandbox action game to have a sweeping orchestral score, but they pulled it off. It added a lot of atmosphere to the game, moreso than the game's visuals.

Xater said:
Nope but in a fall this crowded it looks like I can pass on it. It's just a money thing for me.

I have no problem with lower rated games because I was the one who quite liked Army of Two.

I may end up just renting it somewhere down the line who knows.

ah ok then

Peronthious said:
Sad to hear that, especially that you reference the score and not the review. I'll definitely be picking it up in a few hours regardless; replaying Mercs 1 hyped me for this to no end.

Sorry i meant after watching the video review and impressions around the net. also Agent Otaku seems to be all over this game which is a warning sign for me :p

I can always rent and see if its good on my own i just want buy it day one.

I played the first two missions and did some of the shooting challenges, and so far I am enjoying it. Only thing I dislike is that I didn't pick Chris as my character. I was hoping the alt costume for Mattias would be as cool as it looked in the picture, but it wasn't. Although the extra health does help.

SpudBud

Well I finish the first 2 missions, the game lacks polish but it's fun so far.

If anyone wants to play co-op later add me. SpudxBud

Timber said:
IGN's review doesn't mention the music at all and it gets a 5.0 in the sound department. Overlooking such a major element in a review is bad enough in itself, but I get the feeling he judged the sound purely on the voice acting and NPC banter (or lack thereof). A shame, because the soundtrack in the first Mercenaries was fantastic, if a little repetitive. You don't expect a sandbox action game to have a sweeping orchestral score, but they pulled it off. It added a lot of atmosphere to the game, moreso than the game's visuals.

I am disappointed that Hilary doesn't mention the music at all in his review (being as I wrote it), but honestly, it's pretty much the lowest priority, and the least of the average person's concern when it comes to the game. Music in game reviews is rarely mentioned very rarely mentioned.

squicken said:
Since it's the same reviewer . . . Nick, are you saying this game is just ever so slightly better than Alone in the Dark? That's not a ringing endorsement.

stop that! not all games need to be compared, especially two that are quite obviously very different for one another. that's as bad as simply saying game x > game. but since you ask, i would personally call AiTD a "must play" for trying so many interesting things and having so many unique moments. i like mercs because it's fun, but it doesn't need to be experienced. but that has little to do with how i review them and what i score them. own merits, yeah?

Freedom = $1.05 said:
*waits for PS3 impressions before opening wallet*

GTA4 left me want some decent sandboxy games : (

PS3 version looks a bit better and loads a bit faster (after an initial install time, of course). weirdly, the triggers and bumpers are swapped, but unless you're going between versions it won't matter.

Chris Tilton said:
I am disappointed that Hilary doesn't mention the music at all in his review (being as I wrote it), but honestly, it's pretty much the lowest priority, and the least of the average person's concern when it comes to the game. Music in game reviews is rarely mentioned very rarely mentioned.

i'm also surprised that he didn't mention it, as IGN is usually very point-by-point with each element. i myself didn't mention it because while i liked it (before it got a little repetitive due to how much of the game i played) it wasn't crucially influential on the experience one way or the other for me. same reason i didn't mention the visuals -- they're fine, but they should be fine, so i don't have much to say about them. so don't be disappointed, you did a good job :)

Teknoman

Linkzg said:
I played the first two missions and did some of the shooting challenges, and so far I am enjoying it. Only thing I dislike is that I didn't pick Chris as my character. I was hoping the alt costume for Mattias would be as cool as it looked in the picture, but it wasn't. Although the extra health does help.

Is the music anything like Mercs 1, or is it more of a tropical style to fit with its locale?

rocksolidaudio said:
stop that! not all games need to be compared, especially two that are quite obviously very different for one another. that's as bad as simply saying game x > game. but since you ask, i would personally call AiTD a "must play" for trying so many interesting things and having so many unique moments. i like mercs because it's fun, but it doesn't need to be experienced. but that has little to do with how i review them and what i score them. own merits, yeah?

oh shit...it's on!

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
oh shit...it's on!

Like Simon le Bon!
rusty.jpg

newsguy

Most of you have it by now, but it's Mercs 1 with better explosions and a few new things like minigames and tweaks to the way you get airstrikes etc. It's exactly what I expected, graphics are a mixed bag, mainly because this is definitely a PS2 game. Physics are fun and they're done well with most stuff, but cars still handle wonky. On the upside, if you use the handbrake and you don't want to crash, the game offers the same tight turning with any vehicle to you can get from point a to point b quickly. I am really enjoying it right now, the fun factor is just as high as the first one, and remember that this is a game that really gets better as you play more because many things need to be unlocked. I agree with Suttner.

Teknoman

newsguy said:
Most of you have it by now, but it's Mercs 1 with better explosions and a few new things like minigames and tweaks to the way you get airstrikes etc. It's exactly what I expected, graphics are a mixed bag, mainly because this is definitely a PS2 game. Physics are fun and they're done well with most stuff, but cars still handle wonky. On the upside, if you use the handbrake and you don't want to crash, the game offers the same tight turning with any vehicle to you can get from point a to point b quickly. I am really enjoying it right now, the fun factor is just as high as the first one, and remember that this is a game that really gets better as you play more because many things need to be unlocked. I agree with Suttner.

That actually sounds pretty good, but what do you mean by it being a "PS2 game"? I thought the current gen and last gen versions were handled by two different teams?

Also with everyone saying its basically Mercs 1 but better, does that go for the music as well?

Teknoman said:
That actually sounds pretty good, but what do you mean by it being a "PS2 game"? I thought the current gen and last gen versions were handled by two different teams?

Also with everyone saying its basically Mercs 1 but better, does that go for the music as well?

Cause if you watch footage of Mercs2 on PS2, it very much looks like they just used the same engine for the HD version

dork

Banned
I had to work at 11 today and got there to a line of people wanting mercs 2, we sold out of extra copies, only had reserves left on 360

newsguy

AgentOtaku said:
Cause if you watch footage of Mercs2 on PS2, it very much looks like they just used the same engine for the HD version

Precisely. And you know, while it would be nice to have a ground up next-gen build of it, nothing beats watching a bunker buster level an entire city block that was just full of life seconds ago. This is one of those games that puts a smile on your face.

Timber

Chris Tilton said:
I agree that a game's soundtrack isn't of the highest priorities to most, but lowest is really underselling it in my opinion :) Folks who read game reviews, they tend to be more into videogames than your average person and are looking for different things when it comes to games. Plot isn't particularly important in most games, either, still it always gets mentioned in reviews because people do want to know about it. It's a reviewer's task to paint their audience as complete a picture of the game they can, and soundtrack is definitely part of that picture. In this case it's especially jarring as he does mention other aspects of the audio. A few sentences wouldn't have hurt anyone :)

Can't wait to hear the music for Mercs 2, by the way :) Loved your score for the first one and soundtrack is one of the most important things to me when it comes to games.

edit: cant spel

Teknoman said:
Is the music anything like Mercs 1, or is it more of a tropical style to fit with its locale?

It's still orchestral, but I added a lot of percussion and guitar playing. Sometimes it's just the guitar by itself... so it's a bit more varied.

Timber said:
I agree that a game's soundtrack isn't of the highest priorities to most, but lowest is really underselling it in my opinion :) Folks who read game reviews, they tend to be more into videogames than your average person and are looking for different things when it comes to games. Plot isn't particularly important in most games, either, still it always gets mentioned in reviews because people do want to know about it. It's a reviewer's task to paint their audience as complete a picture of the game they can, and soundtrack is definitely part of that picture. In this case it's especially jarring as he does mention other aspects of the audio. A few sentences wouldn't have hurt anyone :)

Can't wait to hear the music for Mercs 2, by the way :) Loved your score for the first one and soundtrack is one of the most important things to me when it comes to games.

edit: cant spel

Thanks. Yeah he could have mentioned it, but well, what are ya gonna do. There's going to be an iTunes/AmazonMP3 soundtrack release sometime in September.

PS I like how the forum is making me wait in between posts. :p

Teknoman said:

I don't remember the music from Mercs 1 too much, but it sounds similar I think.

Vehicle control is really hard with regular buttons. I would buy the PS3 version if it had analog button support.

Wow, I didn't know this game let you go first person with vehicles...that is so unexpected.

Teknoman

Linkzg said:
I don't remember the music from Mercs 1 too much, but it sounds similar I think.

Chris Tilton said:
It's still orchestral, but I added a lot of percussion and guitar playing. Sometimes it's just the guitar by itself... so it's a bit more varied.

Awesome. Just what I was hoping for actually.

My impressions after about 5-6 missions in.

Graphics are good overall. Explosions are nice. Textures are good to ok. The main merc looks really nice but some of the jungle/ground textures are fairly poor. Framerate held up well even with lots going on, at least so far. The controls feel just like the first mercs. Driving is weird till you master the e-brake.

I like the music so far, its not over the top and fits well with whatevers going on. Has a definite Latin influence. Guitars and orchestrated numbers. Much better than the 1 liners from the ped's and merc's. Still Mattias is pretty funny with that accent. Game has a good overall sense of humor like the first one. Weapon sounds are good, shotgun stands out well, but 50cals should have more punch.

A few glitches I ran into, the first couple movies skipped quite a bit. Hasn't happened with the later ones. Also a tree fell on a HVT and seemed to "pin" him into the ground. I dunno though maybe thats more realistic than anything, lol?

The GPS/PDA feature works well. Menu system and button layout are very easy to grasp. Good fun so far. If you liked the first one I would not hesitate to recommend it. I'll try out the co-op later today, but that sounds like it runs pretty smooth. If I had to put a number score to it i'd give it a good 8.0+ at this point.

rocksolidaudio said:
i'm also surprised that he didn't mention it, as IGN is usually very point-by-point with each element. i myself didn't mention it because while i liked it (before it got a little repetitive due to how much of the game i played) it wasn't crucially influential on the experience one way or the other for me. same reason i didn't mention the visuals -- they're fine, but they should be fine, so i don't have much to say about them. so don't be disappointed, you did a good job :)

Don't worry, I'm not really disappointed. It is expected that the music isn't mentioned. It's just a delightful bonus when it is (unless the reviewer hates it of course) And your complaint that it repeats from playing the game a lot is certainly fair, but I suppose that happens with any game you play a lot.

Teknoman

SuperEnemyCrab said:
My impressions after about 5-6 missions in.

Graphics are good overall. Explosions are nice. Textures are good to ok. The main merc looks really nice but some of the jungle/ground textures are fairly poor. Framerate held up well even with lots going on, at least so far. The controls feel just like the first mercs. Driving is weird till you master the e-brake.

I like the music so far, its not over the top and fits well with whatevers going on. Has a definite Latin influence. Guitars and orchestrated numbers. Much better than the 1 liners from the ped's and merc's. Still Mattias is pretty funny with that accent. Game has a good overall sense of humor like the first one. Weapon sounds are good, shotgun stands out well, but 50cals should have more punch.

A few glitches I ran into, the first couple movies skipped quite a bit. Hasn't happened with the later ones. Also a tree fell on a HVT and seemed to "pin" him into the ground. I dunno though maybe thats more realistic than anything, lol?

The GPS/PDA feature works well. Menu system and button layout are very easy to grasp. Good fun so far. If you liked the first one I would not hesitate to recommend it. I'll try out the co-op later today, but that sounds like it runs pretty smooth. If I had to put a number score to it i'd give it a good 8.0+ at this point.

360 purchase confirmed.

Definity

Anyone having trouble playing co-op online (360 version). I always get booted out with the lovely message "you have been disconnected from the EA servers". Arrrgghhh.

Just shoved it in the 360 and the first bit is loading now. Is anyone going to be playing someone besides Mattias? I can't really see the benefit of being anyone else.

Teknoman said:
360 purchase confirmed.

I bought the 360 version a few hours ago. I haven't run into the FMV skipping glitch described above, but I've seen a couple other odd things (crate disappearing, etc). Nothing groundbreaking.

If you enjoyed the first Mercs, then you cannot go wrong with Mercs 2.

Pimpbaa

Peronthious said:
Just shoved it in the 360 and the first bit is loading now. Is anyone going to be playing someone besides Mattias? I can't really see the benefit of being anyone else.

I am going to play Jen. I can't see the benefit of being anyone else!

Cobra84

Peronthious said:
Is anyone going to be playing someone besides Mattias? I can't really see the benefit of being anyone else.

I've been playing as Chris Jacobs and I'm really liking the extra ammo with the RPG as I never had enough in Mercs 1.

Teknoman

Peronthious said:

Chris for me. I hate running out of ammo in run n gun style action games.

Lord Helmet said:
If you enjoyed the first Mercs, then you cannot go wrong with Mercs 2.

I've heard this comment enough times in various places to feel safe about buying it.

Looking forward to co-op. It was the main thing I thought the first game really needed. Felt lonely driving those multi-position vehicles without someone in the other spots. NPC gunners just aren't the same.

Top Bottom