• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

TheExodu5

Banned
Flunkie said:
I understand that literally everything is destructible, but the graphics still look muddy and just overall.. bleh. The character models look really bad; the textures are extremely low-res; and there's hardly any AA that I can tell, which makes it worse. The whole presentation is a total clusterfuck; it seems like it was just thrown together at the last minute. Granted, I'm not that far into the game, but the whole free roam stuff is really bad so far. The cutscenes and story are a huge joke - I think the cutscenes actually look worse than the gameplay, lol.

I did have one funny moment just awhile ago, when playing with white tattoo mohawk guy. (Very, Very Early Spoilers) Okay, so I go on this mission to retrieve a thing called something "big and bad" sounding, like "The Destroyer" or something similar (I already forgot), and when I get there, there's this huge tank, and the dude goes, "Yes!" Then I realize that the GPS marker isn't pointing to the tank. So I go around the wall by the tank, and there's a little pink scooter that I have to drive back to a base. I thought that was pretty funny. I hope there's more stuff like that later on.

These are just early impressions so far.

The videos we've seen recently looked pretty decent. Some things may be under par, but as long as it holds a steady framerate as we've seen in videos, it's worth it. Framerate > graphics. Can you confirm that the framerate holds steady?

edit: nvm, looks like it's coming out on PC. Wooot.

TheExodu5 said:
The videos we've seen recently looked pretty decent. Some things may be under par, but as long as it holds a steady framerate as we've seen in videos, it's worth it. Framerate > graphics. Can you confirm that the framerate holds steady?

edit: nvm, looks like it's coming out on PC. Wooot.
Frame rate is all over the place when in large gun fights.

calder

Fuck that, Walmart didn't have it and the jackass douche at EB told me he has the game but can't sell it yet but hey come back tomorrow at noon when we open (dude, I get you can't sell it but don't tell me how many boxes of it you have in the back like I give a shit how well stocked you're going to be tomorrow).

Really annoying since we went to the one part of town that was not close to any Futureshop or BB where I know they've been selling it for almost a week now. So lame. :lol

KGKK

Banned
Went to Rogers and EB games today. Both stores refused to sell me the game eventhough they have it in stock. They said their store would get fined and they would be fired. Rogers said to come back on Tuesday, EB games said to come back tomorrow. I probably won't go till next weekend now.

Spruchy

KGKK said:
Went to Rogers and EB games today. Both stores refused to sell me the game eventhough they have it in stock. They said their store would get fined and they would be fired. Rogers said to come back on Tuesday, EB games said to come back tomorrow. I probably won't go till next weekend now.

You show em'.

dork

Banned
KGKK said:
Went to Rogers and EB games today. Both stores refused to sell me the game eventhough they have it in stock. .

How is that different than ANY other street dated game?...

Ill pick mine up tomorrow during work, short or not, should be fun.

Median

I've been playing it for a little while now (maybe two hours) and I'm enjoying it. It's basically Mercenaries 1 with prettier graphics, better explosions, etc. That's certainly not a complaint, I loved Mercenaries 1. You now have to not only pay for air strikes and supply drops, but they also use fuel. You get a limited amount of it at a time and can apparently upgrade your fuel amount by doing missions with the different factions. Right now, I've got two factions unlocked and I kinda inadvertently pissed off one by shooting some of their people. I'm also at 20% completion after doing 5 or so missions, which kind of worries me. However, I haven't found any of the HVTs yet so I imagine the main story missions will take up the majority of the completion percentage and the rest will be HVTs and other collection stuff.

I want to stress again that I was a huge fan of Mercenaries 1 and I'm probably quite biased towards this new one but...so far I'm loving it. I haven't hit any particular point that's been overly buggy (yet) or any real poor design choices. I think Mercenaries fans are really going to love it

Median said:
I've been playing it for a little while now (maybe two hours) and I'm enjoying it. It's basically Mercenaries 1 with prettier graphics, better explosions, etc. That's certainly not a complaint, I loved Mercenaries 1. You now have to not only pay for air strikes and supply drops, but they also use fuel. You get a limited amount of it at a time and can apparently upgrade your fuel amount by doing missions with the different factions. Right now, I've got two factions unlocked and I kinda inadvertently pissed off one by shooting some of their people. I'm also at 20% completion after doing 5 or so missions, which kind of worries me. However, I haven't found any of the HVTs yet so I imagine the main story missions will take up the majority of the completion percentage and the rest will be HVTs and other collection stuff.

I want to stress again that I was a huge fan of Mercenaries 1 and I'm probably quite biased towards this new one but...so far I'm loving it. I haven't hit any particular point that's been overly buggy (yet) or any real poor design choices. I think Mercenaries fans are really going to love it

Quoted for utmost importance

Can't wait for tommorow! :D

Flunkie

Banned
For the people complaining about the percentage, I felt the same way up until about 40%. It starts slowing down at 40% for some reason.

Median

Flunkie said:
For the people complaining about the percentage, I felt the same way up until about 40%. It starts slowing down at 40% for some reason.

Good to hear. I also wanted to mention that I really enjoyed the helicopter mini game at the PMC. There's a small, red toolbox sitting in a target area which, to win, you have to get it perched at a certain height. This involves winching in cargo containers and other objects in the area to stack them. I'm glad to see mini games are back :D

SSnake

Okay you get the costumes from completing level 3 challenges from Fiona

Here is what I unlocked for Jen

Tactical
Sleeveless
Catsuit
Chicken

sorry if old

SSnake said:
Okay you get the costumes from completing level 3 challenges from Fiona

Here is what I unlocked for Jen

Tactical
Sleeveless
Catsuit
Chicken

sorry if old
not old...thanks!

Can't wait to see Mattias' costumes!

Flunkie said:
Umm Hilary's review is going up at 12:01 AM PST. That's in about an hour and 15 minutes.

IGN does exclusive reviews, so i can't vouch for them. the embargo sheet that arrived with the retail copies simply said "aug. 31", but we were previously given an embargo time of 8 a.m., which is what we're following.

Ten-Song

rocksolidaudio said:
IGN does exclusive reviews, so i can't vouch for them. the embargo sheet that arrived with the retail copies simply said "aug. 31", but we were previously given an embargo time of 8 a.m., which is what we're following.

Well, guess that confirms it won't get anything less than an 8 from IGN. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game either way, but yeah, I'd rather wait on embargo lifted reviews to see what people think.

Teknoman

Ten-Song said:
Well, guess that confirms it won't get anything less than an 8 from IGN. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game either way, but yeah, I'd rather wait on embargo lifted reviews to see what people think.

Not really. IGN had an "exclusive" review on Infinite Undiscovery and it got a 7.something.

Acid08

Banned
rocksolidaudio said:
Well you already said "Buy it" on 1up FM. Can EA have you killed for breaking embargo like that :0

Barso

Banned
Anyone have a honest 360, PS3 comparison.
Sorry but I really want the better version.
IGN no help.
Thanks to all help and replies.

slider

Ugh, I saw a review of this on the TV this morning. They said it was very easy, that the missions could do with a bit more structure, but it was fun.

The most interesting part was the plot. Talk about a step into the real world. If no one else thinks there aren't parallels with those bastards at Sandline I'd be very surprised.

Barso said:
IGN no help.

I have been trying to find out the same thing... the only thing I've found is a couple of people saying the PS3 version seems sharper, but the 360 version seems smoother.

While that certainly isn't much to go on, I'm headed out to purchase the 360 version because of controller preference, and sountracks. Plus the upcoming HDD installs should benefit sandbox games the most. Just my two cents.

Xater

DevelopmentArrested said:

Have not read or watched it yet but i have to say that a 7.9 is kinda disappointing especially from IGN. I expected more from this title. No buy I guess. I have enough to paly with FF4 and DQ4 anyway.

Weenerz

Banned
I was kind of shocked at the 7.9 until I realized Hilary reviewed it and immediately dismissed the review.

Also, fucking Wal-Mart and Kmart stores in my area didn't receive their copies, wtfux.

Zaphod

Barso said:
IGN no help.

Me three, I want to go out and pick this up but I wonder which one is better.

Jirotrom

Xater said:
Have not read or watched it yet but i have to say that a 7.9 is kinda disappointing especially from IGN. I expected more from this title. No buy I guess. I have enough to paly with FF4 and DQ4 anyway.
why dont you play it first by renting it or something... you know you just may like it. I can understand if you had no interest at all... but you obviously do.

Xater said:
You expected more? Did you not play the original ?

Xater

Jirotrom said:
why dont you play it first by renting it or something... you know you just may like it. I can understand if you had no interest at all... but you obviously do.

why should I? It's not like there isn't enough other games to play that I am even more interested in. Doesn't look like the game did enough for a sequel + I am really pissed of when I encounter stupid glitches like the ones in the IGN review. I generally prefer a really polished experience.

dork

Banned
Llyranor said:
The better version will be the one in which you have friend who'll want to co-op with you.

/thread

Im getting it on 360 and need a coop partner

dorkimoe is the tag, i will be on around 3-4 pm central after the cubs game

Xater said:

dude...cmon.

It's a "good" score

What, you have to exclusively play 8.5 and up games only?

Sheesh

Hellz yeah....nice to see my boy Nick reviewed it :D

Top Bottom