• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Firestorm

Jive Turkey said:
He's a monkey that's on fire. Really your own fault for not realizing the awesomeness of this early on.
Yeah, honestly. I saw a monkey with its ass on fire and I knew who I'd pick right away. I also pick the fire type each generation so that helped.

mattso

Wii Will Rock U said:
Look at how sad you made your Staravia. He knows he is going to be deleted...
Muku_DRAMA_by_Cotton_gravy.gif
this is why I'm really glad I have diamond and platinum

Now if I ever get the urge to restart all I have to do is move everything over to diamond

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Jive Turkey said:
He's a monkey that's on fire. Really your own fault for not realizing the awesomeness of this early on.
Coincidentally, this is the exact reason why I'm never going to use him, ever.

Turtwig, bitches!

Captain N said:
Do all Pokemon evolve at level 14? My Chimchar just did and I wasn't sure if I should hit B to cancel it or not..Does it make a difference if I were to let him evolve?

What the hell? Have you every played a Pokemon game before? "Do all Pokemon evolve at 14?" What kind of question is that?!? :p

Jiggy

Well, as I think I predicted somewhere in the first two pages, most of my favorite changes in Platinum are the ones that go completely unreported. I'm not that far, as I haven't even gotten my fourth badge yet, but here's what I've seen already:

1) There's a guy in Veilstone City who tells you your Hidden Power type. Those with IV calculators will know how this can help.

2) A decent number of trainers have four or more Pokemon. If there's one thing I disliked about Diamond/Pearl single-player moreso than other Pokemon games' single-player, it was that, aside from a few gimmick teams like six Magikarp and five Bidoof (the latter of which has sadly been eliminated), it seemed as though GameFreak was purposely limiting every enemy trainer to three or fewer Pokemon. Look, I plow through the single-player as fast as I can anyway, so I'm the last person who should be wanting it to last longer, but in this case I think the extra variety helps. When there's a guy who's tossing a team of six at me and it consists not of random commons like Staravia or Kricketune but instead
Skorupi, Tropius, Tangela, Carnivine, Croagunk, and Yanma
, the single-player feels much less like it was purposely designed to be as easy as is humanly possible. Of course, this is offset somewhat by the enemy AI seeming even dumber than before, as it goes really heavy on spamming stat boost moves consecutively withoue ever attacking, but in terms of being moderately interesting I'll take something like that or the
Jolteon + Flareon + Vaporeon
team over literally every enemy trainer team in D/P.

3) Enemy trainers lying around where no enemy trainers existed before. One example would be that there are trainer battles inside Pokemon Centers now, but my favorite example is the challenge to
defeat five maids
in a given number of turns at the Pokemon Mansion. I haven't actually done this yet, but just in principle it reminds me of that old bridge sequence in Cerulean City where you fight for a Nugget. [Edit: Okay, I just took it. Their actual Pokemon selection is dumb, although I have hope that it'll change since they want me to come back again the next day to do the whole thing all over again, but it's still a cool little gimmick.]

Points 2 and 3 remind me of Emerald, although Emerald had to go further--that game took the series' most barren and boring region and made it interesting by simply upping the number of trainers and double battles, while Platinum is just taking an already-good region and making it better by increasing the number of Pokemon per trainer.

Captain N said:
Thanks again Wii Will Rock U! is there any way to change their names from Japanese to english?
Since my game is an import, maybe, but I doubt it since they are traded.

That said, the seal's name is Spheal and evolves into this guy:
Sealeo.gif

And then this guy:
Walrein.jpg

Needless to say, he is worth training.

The ant thing, Trapinch, on the other hand, evolves into:
329_vibrava.jpg

And then this beast:
Flygon.jpg

So yeah, raise them early and you'll have two awesome Pokemon by the time you get to where I am in the game. I got a Spheal and Trapinch given to me when I first got Platinum and I was only at the first gym. I wanted to continue the tradition. :)

jimmbow said:
wait how do you make a squirtle egg?
I'm assuming you either transfer the egg straight from FireRed or LeafGreen, or transfer a Squirtle over, and then breed it with another Squirtle or a Ditto.

There are no Squirtles in Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Emerald, Ruby or Sapphire, so it had to be from FireRed/LeafGreen.

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
Since my game is an import, maybe, but I doubt it since they are traded.

That said, the seal's name is Spheal and evolves into this guy:

And then this guy:

Needless to say, he is worth training.

The ant thing, Trapinch, on the other hand, evolves into:

And then this beast:

So yeah, raise them early and you'll have two awesome Pokemon by the time you get to where I am in the game. I got a Spheal and Trapinch given to me when I first got Platinum and I was only at the first gym. I wanted to continue the tradition. :)

Does the guide say what level they will evolve?

Captain N said:
Does the guide say what level they will evolve?
Sure lemme check...

Trapinch evolves into Vibrava at level 35 and then Flygon at level 45.

Spheal evolves into Sealeo at level 32 and then Walrein at level 44.

So yeah, you have a lot of training ahead of you but it's worth it, trust me.

mattso

Jiggy said:
3) Enemy trainers lying around where no enemy trainers existed before. One example would be that there are trainer battles inside Pokemon Centers now
really? Looks like I should start talking to the people in the pokemon centers..

Firestorm said:
Yeah, honestly. I saw a monkey with its ass on fire and I knew who I'd pick right away. I also pick the fire type each generation so that helped.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is the first series I didn't pick the fire type. I like penguins too much not to pick piplup.

Captain N

If anyone has any extra eggs I'd be a really happy trainer right now! I plan on playing it a lot and will repay anyone who shares with me now.

kafka rock opera said:
Holy shit i need this guy, where can i get one?
Evolve a Spheal, into a Sealeo, into him. :D
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is the first series I didn't pick the fire type. I like penguins too much not to pick piplup.
It's funny you said that.

Platinum is the first in the series where I haven't chosen the water type. I like monkeys too much not to pick Chimchar.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone be willing to help me out by letting me trade them a Pokemon holding a Water Stone, so they can trade it back to me on my Platinum cart? I want to evolve my Eevee.

So, as far as I know (haven't played a Pokemon since Gold/Silver)...I can only get the other two starting pokemon through one of you guys breeding one, right?

Captain N

Cocopjojo said:
Would anyone be willing to help me out by letting me trade them a Pokemon holding a Water Stone, so they can trade it back to me on my Platinum cart? I want to evolve my Eevee.

I'll help you and can sign on now..just PM me your code.

Ravidrath

Captain N said:
Thanks again Wii Will Rock U! is there any way to change their names from Japanese to english?

If you evolve them, they'll revert to their Pokemon names if they aren't nicknamed.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, thanks a lot, Captain N! I really appreciate it, dude. And sorry for the confusion, I should have explained it better beforehand.

Teknoman

Are there more Pokemon series newcomers/ non-RSE generation players returning than last time with D/P? Wasnt with GAF when D/P released.

mattso

I was wondering why my cubone wasn't the powerhouse I know they can be...

then I remembered I forgot to give it my thick club. Fixed.

Haven't went through a PKMN since Fire Red, and I skipped everything between that and Yellow. Is Platinum worth the playthrough for a fan of the original PKMN? I'm not too partial to the item holding system, is it integral to winning most battles (later on, I assume)?

Killa Sasa said:
Haven't went through a PKMN since Fire Red, and I skipped everything between that and Yellow. Is Platinum worth the playthrough for a fan of the original PKMN? I'm not too partial to the item holding system, is it integral to winning most battles (later on, I assume)?

Item holding in what way? What the pokemon holds? I mean, now that the player has pockets, general inventory is no longer an issue. But it's still one item held per pokemon. That being said, it's still just fire and forget. Give Pikachu Light orb, or whatever floats your boat. The elemental items help you do more damage but outside of competitive play they aren't crucial to your survival.

Firestorm

Killa Sasa said:
Doesn't matter in single player. Integral in multiplayer. Most of my Pokemon on my multiplayer team wouldn't even work without the items they hold...

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone wants any of the starters from any gen, I just realized I have two of each already bred that I can trade away.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wii Will Rock U said:
Could I get a Turtwig, Bulbasaur, and Treecko? :)
Sure.

My FC is 2577 9624 6920, you logging on now?

Cocopjojo said:
If anyone wants any of the starters from any gen, I just realized I have two of each already bred that I can trade away.
Id kill to get that aligator starter from silver but would i have to have the national dex to get it?

mattso

kafka rock opera said:
Id kill to get that aligator starter from silver but would i have to have the national dex to get it?
no it just wont show in your dex until you have the national

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Hold up, Wii, I grabbed the wrong Turtwig. Let me back out and get the right one.

Thanks for the Pokemon, Coco! I really appreciate that you got me those grass starters! My dream team can now be assembled to take on the Elite Four.

Sorry, I took so long to audibly respond, I wasn't used to voice chat and I had my volume down, :lol

I do appreciate it either way though, thanks a bunch. I'm gonna breed the ones you traded me! :D

mattso

kafka rock opera said:
Well then well then! Any chance i could convince you to trade for my very rare bidoof?
I have one left from breeding that knows ice punch/waterfall/dragon dance if you're interested but I'd need a little bit of time before I could trade

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
kafka rock opera said:
Well then well then! Any chance i could convince you to trade for my very rare bidoof?
Haha, yeah, sure thing.

2577 9624 6920. Post or PM me your code.

EDIT: Or you can trade with that guy. Mine's just a normal one, no egg moves.
Wii Will Rock U said:
Thanks for the Pokemon, Coco! I really appreciate that you got me those grass starters! My dream team can now be assembled to take on the Elite Four.

Sorry, I took so long to audibly respond, I wasn't used to voice chat and I had my volume down, :lol

I do appreciate it either way though, thanks a bunch. I'm gonna breed the ones you traded me! :D
Haha, no problem, dude. Yeah, I figured you had your volume turned down.

mattso said:
I have one left from breeding that knows ice punch/waterfall/dragon dance if you're interested but I'd need a little bit of time before I could trade
Hey that sounds rad. I can wait for you im trying to figure out how to get my wifi usb dongle to work anyhow dont wanna make coco wait

Top Bottom