• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

mattso

kafka rock opera said:
Hey that sounds rad. I can wait for you im trying to figure out how to get my wifi usb dongle to work anyhow dont wanna make coco wait
ok. pm me with your friend code when you're ready and I will pm you mine and when I'm good to get on if not then

Firestorm

20090323.jpg

Porkfry is at the forefront of Pokemon husbandry, as has been well established - his "Living Pokedex" is a beacon to the field. It wasn't until the last round of Pokemon releases that it was absorbed by our group generally, and for some of us, it penetrated those membranes which cradle our most crucial organs. Very early on, I felt as though I glimpsed the overall shape of Pokemon play. I couldn't push through it. As fascinating as the endgame of Pokemon is - and fascinating, as a word, is barely sufficient - I couldn't build a roster myself because the grind on low-level Pokemon play is just too brutal. Gabe was able to manage it, but for him (and presumably others) playing Pokemon is something you do while you are doing something else - autonomic, not a conscious act but rather a function of the body.

He's was having a hard time playing the new Pokemon at first, something we talk about a bit in the podcast for today's strip. It's a quick one today, but that's how it is sometimes. I'll get it uploaded here in a second.

Jiggy

Just in case anyone was living in fear about the prospect of having to spend hours in the underground digging for shards to get moves from the tutors, I just found that in
Fuego Ironworks
you can trade a Star Piece for one of each shard type.

vanty

Cocopjojo said:
If anyone wants any of the starters from any gen, I just realized I have two of each already bred that I can trade away.
If you've still got a spare Charmander I'd love to get it.

Just started playing Diamond again thanks to this thread after originally stopping soon after the 7th gym, and I don't think I have even seen a single wild fire type apart from Ponyta (I regrettably chose the water starter). I still have good memories of using almost nothing but my lvl 90-something Charizard and eventually Mewtwo as a kid playing through Red. At the 8th gym town now, will do it after getting a few more Pokemon up to around lvl 50, though an electric type gym seems like it'd be quite easy.

Squirtle and Bulbasaur would be great as well, but that's probably asking too much and there's no rush for them.

Netto-kun

Cocopjojo said:
If anyone wants any of the starters from any gen, I just realized I have two of each already bred that I can trade away.
Oh, if it's not too much trouble for you, I'd like all the Johto starters plus Torchic and Mudkip. I figure it's probably late where you are living, so I'll PM you my Platinum code when you are available.:D

2 days, 8 hours. To find an adamant natured Poliwag. I don't even worry about IV's as long as they are not below average I am not super competitive. 8 hours :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anerythristic said:
2 days, 8 hours. To find an adamant natured Poliwag. I don't even worry about IV's as long as they are not below average I am not super competitive. 8 hours :lol
Lern2syncrhonize, nub.

I'm taking it rather slow, myself. Just finished Eterna Forest, got a team of five at level 15 or so.

larvi

Caught a Burmy early on in one of the honey trees and evolved it into a plant cloak Wormadon and finding it to be a decent pokemon. It's got good defenses, decent attack stats and good type coverage right now (bug bite, razor leaf, confusion and hidden power ground). Gotta watch out for the 4x weak to flying/fire but have my Monferno I can switch into fire attacks and a Shieldon that I got from a fossil that I'm using for the flying types right now but eventually want to pick up a rhydon (that I'll evolve into Rhyperior)

Artadius

Ok, I'm really thinking of diving in on this one as my first... explain something to me though.

I've read that these TMs which add special moves to your roster can only be used once. Does that mean you use the item once and its gone... but you can get more of said item? Or will you only ever and ever get one of each TM and you can only use it once and that's it... you'll never get that move added to another pokemon ever again?

i.e. the 'Too Awesome To Use' videogame trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

The above link mentions TMs, but still doesn't specifically answer the question.

I'm trying to decide what to pick up first when i get my new dsi, this or chrono trigger? I've never played Chrono trigger whereas I've played most of the Pokemon games besides the last two before this. The main time I'll be playing is on my commute to and from college which is about an hour each way.

Artadius said:
Ok, I'm really thinking of diving in on this one as my first... explain something to me though.

I've read that these TMs which add special moves to your roster can only be used once. Does that mean you use the item once and its gone... but you can get more of said item? Or will you only ever and ever get one of each TM and you can only use it once and that's it... you'll never get that move added to another pokemon ever again?

i.e. the 'Too Awesome To Use' videogame trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

TMs are single use only unlike HMs. You teachit to one PKMN and it's gone. You can buy more TMs, find some in the wild, through Pickup ability, or Mystery gift.

Sixfortyfive

Artadius said:

Most TMs can be purchased or obtained from other sources as many times as you need. There are usually a few worthwhile ones that are one-time-only, though. If you're really worried about it, consult a FAQ first.

However, you can trade items with other people, so if you fuck up and use something you didn't mean to, it can still be remedied. And if you're really desperate, you can sometimes pass the move onto other Pokemon via breeding.

larvi

Artadius said:

Each TM is single use so it will be gone once you use it. However some TMs you can get more of pretty easily, such as buying them from a store but others are gone unless you trade one over from another game. I usually have a version that I reset over and over and play through quickly to farm TMs and other unique items, i.e. master balls.

Here's a faq that list which TMs can be gotten again in D/P, may not be 100% correct for Platinum though but probably pretty close:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/48477

Sixfortyfive

Anerythristic said:
Another quick question which site has the best tier discussion (Uber, OU, UU?)
Smogon is more or less the end-all-be-all of competitive Pokemon theory. Just be aware that their metagame is geared towards online simulators that eliminate the breeding/training aspect of the game and cut straight to the battles. Therefore, some of the strategy that is common in their metagame is not entirely practical on the real deal.

For example, if you're ever looking at a Smogon article or moveset for strategy ideas, and it contains the phrase "Hidden Power," you had best just ignore that particular passage and move onto another.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
To those who were asking about the starters, I get off work around 5-6est, and I'll send out PMs then.

Captain N

Some Pokemon need Happiness to evolve...how do I give them that? also..it needs to be night time for Chingling to Evolve.

Jiggy

Sixfortyfive said:
Smogon is more or less the end-all-be-all of competitive Pokemon theory. Just be aware that their metagame is geared towards online simulators that eliminate the breeding/training aspect of the game and cut straight to the battles. Therefore, some of the strategy that is common in their metagame is not entirely practical on the real deal.

For example, if you're ever looking at a Smogon article or moveset for strategy ideas, and it contains the phrase "Hidden Power," you had best just ignore that particular passage and move onto another.
Don't ignore it--read what the intent is, and if you can manage something reasonably close that exists somewhere else in the Pokemon's move pool, go with that.

e.g. If you're "supposed" to be using Hidden Power Fighting because it hits Heatran and Tyranitar, and you don't feel like breeding, but your Pokemon is capable of learning Focus Blast or Water Pulse/Brine, you could go with one of those. (I'm not sure there are any Pokemon that would want HP Fighting and can learn Water Pulse yet can't learn something better like Surf, but it's just an example.) Or in a less direct comparison: if you're supposed to be using Hidden Power Fire in case of switch-ins from Scizor and Metagross, but can learn Will-O-Wisp or Reflect or (in the case of wanting to fight Scizor only) Charm, then that's not going to KO but it's going to serve the same general purpose of preventing the enemy KO.

Likewise on a lot of general status afflictions: obviously hitting Salamence with Hidden Power Ice is best (unless it has a berry), but it's not going to appreciate Thunder Wave terribly much either. And there are at least a couple of defensive Water-types whose ability to take repeated hits will be neutered by something like Yawn or Encore if you can't get HP Grass.

And so on.

larvi

Captain N said:
Some Pokemon need Happiness to evolve...how do I give them that? also..it needs to be night time for Chingling to Evolve.

Walking around with them in the party is the one way, if you give them the soothe bell it doubles the amount of happiness they get per step. They also get a certain amount of happiness for every level they make so if you keep leveling them they will eventually evolve. If you want to have them evolve by a certain level then attach the soothe bell and ride back and forth on the bike for a while.

I picked up my copy yesterday morning, and have been playing it practically nonstop ever since. I'm currently grinding up for my fourth badge, but after spending a ton of time pulling up shitty Pokemon I've finally made everyone useful.

Don't remember the exact levels (it's not in front of me), but right now they're ranging between 24-27.

Grotle (I played with Chimchar in Diamond and didn't want Piplup, so Turtwig seemed like a decent choice.)
Onix
Gyarados (Doesn't actually have any water-type moves yet, but Bite and Dragon Rage are still letting him kick some ass.)
Kadabra
Staravia
Luxio

I'm missing a fire-type right now, so I might swap out Onix once Grotle evolves and gets the ground-type. I eventually want to swap out Luxio for a Jolteon and bring in a new flyer, but Grotle, Gyarados, and Kadabra feel like they could stay useful throughout the rest of the game.

I just need to get the trade-evolve on for Kadabra. Hopefully I can find somebody else here who wants to see my pokemans.

My copy still hasn't come from Amazon yet...:(

...so I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought it anyways...I'll just return/sell the Amazon copy.

With my Chimchar and Starly right now, and I'm going home to start my journey. I really hate the first 30 minutes of each Pokemon game. :(

mattso

Captain N said:
Is it best to keep all six Pokemon at pretty much the same level?

pretty much

its alright to have one or two a little under leveled and one or two a bit higher than the group but your avg level should be on par with the random trainers you're fighting if not higher

Man, my team is so old school right now. I mean I have a level 23 Prinplup, 22 Luxio, but the rest of my important pokemon are from the first game. :lol

Level 21 Machoke
Level 20 Psyduck
Level 19 Ponyta

lol

mattso

BrandNew said:
Man, my team is so old school right now. I mean I have a level 23 Prinplup, 22 Luxio, but the rest of my important pokemon are from the first game. :lol

Level 21 Machoke
Level 20 Psyduck
Level 19 Ponyta

lol
not as old school as my ivysaur, wartortle, charmeleon, hitmonlee and cubone

mattso said:
not as old school as my ivysaur, wartortle, charmeleon, hitmonlee and cubone

I kinda want to round my party off with the rest of the starters from each game. Since I have this game's water starter, I would like someone to trade me a Charmander from Red/Blue, and a Chikorita from Gold/Silver. I don't care for any of the starters from Ruby/Sapphire.

larvi

Captain N said:
Is it best to keep all six Pokemon at pretty much the same level?

I find it better to level only 3 or 4 and keep the other 2 for utility/HM slaves. You don't have to grind as much to be elite 4 ready that way, since your 3 or 4 are higher level than if you tried to do 6.

How did you get Psyduck so early? Don't you need Surf?

Psyduck would totally make my team kickass:

-Turtwig
-Starly
-Machop
-Ponyta
-Bidoof
-Psyduck

TheGrayGhost said:
How did you get Psyduck so early? Don't you need Surf?

Psyduck would totally make my team kickass:

-Turtwig
-Starly
-Machop
-Ponyta
-Bidoof
-Psyduck

He just showed up at the bottom of that first cave between the first two cities...the one where you need Rock Smash to advance down. I forget the names haha.

BrandNew said:
I kinda want to round my party off with the rest of the starters from each game. Since I have this game's water starter, I would like someone to trade me a Charmander from Red/Blue, and a Chikorita from Gold/Silver. I don't care for any of the starters from Ruby/Sapphire.

I'm pretty sure I have both on my Diamond...let me check.

Balb

Would someone mind trading me a legit baby turtwig? I have the other two starters and I just need a turtwig.

Guled

Captain N said:
What kind of Pokemon are usually banned in major Pokemon Tournaments? Legendary Pokemon?
Ubers, so Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Manaphy, Darkrai and Arceus

Jiggy

Captain N said:
What kind of Pokemon are usually banned in major Pokemon Tournaments? Legendary Pokemon?
Pretty much the same stuff that's banned from the in-game Battle Tower/Frontier, which means legendary Pokemon that are neither in a trio nor a Latias or Latios. (And Latias and Latios themselves will be banned if carrying Soul Dew, but that's highly unlikely in an in-game context--you would have needed access to two GBAs, at least one game out of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, a link cable, an e-Reader, and a special e-Reader card only given away at an event that happened in some limited number of cities that I forget.)

Them and Wobbuffet.

mattso

Jiggy said:
Pretty much the same stuff that's banned from the in-game Battle Tower/Frontier, which means legendary Pokemon that are neither in a trio nor a Latias or Latios. (And Latias and Latios themselves will be banned if carrying Soul Dew, but that's highly unlikely in an in-game context.)

Them and Wobbuffet.
I haven't been following but wasn't garchomp as well? Maybe the idea was still just being tossed around.

I never really cared but you know, its serious business.

vanty

What's the issue with Wobbuffet? I've never used one in the game, but just based on Smash Bros and what I've seen of the anime I've always assumed he was just a joke Pokemon and would be useless.

mattso

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Wait, why is Wobbuffet banned? :lol
wobbuffets ability trapping you in, the ability to use encore to make sure you attack, and then having both counter and mirror coat make it pretty lethal, a bit uncounterable, and made it so everyone would want one overcentralizing the metagame.

or so the story goes.

I remember on shoddy for awhile (possibly still so) they unbanned wobby to test it out and I didn't think it was so bad but the boys up at smogon disagreed.

Top Bottom