• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Jiggy

mattso said:
I haven't been following but wasn't garchomp as well? Maybe the idea was still just being tossed around.

I never really cared but you know, its serious business.
Well, Garchomp was indeed voted uber on Smogon--and as far as I can tell, Latios (but not Latias) is listed as uber regardless of Soul Dew. But in a thread about the physical Pokemon game, with a question about most Pokemon tournaments in general, I wouldn't say they're banned from most tournaments. I mean, official Nintendo tournaments typically don't even ban the likes of Groudon.

mattso

Jiggy said:
Well, Garchomp was indeed voted uber on Smogon--and as far as I can tell, Latios (but not Latias) is listed as uber regardless of Soul Dew. But in a thread about the physical Pokemon game, with a question about most Pokemon tournaments in general, I wouldn't say they're banned from most tournaments. I mean, official Nintendo tournaments typically don't even ban the likes of Groudon.
I mean I guess when they asked about tourneys I assumed they meant on here and that the general rulesets they used would be followed.

I wasn't around for your guys diamond/pearl tourneys unfortunately so I guess I don't know how you decided to do it.

Jiggy said:
(And Latias and Latios themselves will be banned if carrying Soul Dew, but that's highly unlikely in an in-game context--you would have needed access to two GBAs, at least one game out of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, a link cable, an e-Reader, and a special e-Reader card only given away at an event that happened in some limited number of cities that I forget.)

*Fist pump*

E3 can be useful sometimes. :lol

EDIT: That being said, wasn't the card also given away in an issue of Nintendo Power once?

larvi

Crazymoogle said:
*Fist pump*

E3 can be useful sometimes. :lol

EDIT: That being said, wasn't the card also given away in an issue of Nintendo Power once?

TRU had an event where they gave away both the card and the Eon ticket so you could go to southern island and catch the Lati. I still have my card from that event (as well as an e-reader). Once you scanned in the card you could also mix records with someone and pass the Eon ticket over to them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need a turtwig/turtwig egg.

What's the best way of getting one without hax or trading (fuckers want mews).

Firestorm

Captain N said:
What kind of Pokemon are usually banned in major Pokemon Tournaments? Legendary Pokemon?
Depends on what you mean by "major Pokemon Tournaments". If you mean the major tournaments held in the community, that'd be Smogon's. The following would be CURRENTLY banned. Remember that Smogon has been testing Pokemon on a systematic basis for the past year or so and the list is changing constantly:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Garchomp
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latios
Lugia
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

If you mean tournaments held by Nintendo, they change their rules constantly but for their next tournament, the following Pokemon are banned:

Dragonite (unless from Toys R Us)
Mew
Mewtwo
Tyranitar
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys
Rotom
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Smogon does LV100 singles battles 6v6 for the most part. Nintendo does LV50 double battles of 3v3 for the most part.

There are a couple of banned moves and items as well.

larvi said:
TRU had an event where they gave away both the card and the Eon ticket so you could go to southern island and catch the Lati. I still have my card from that event (as well as an e-reader). Once you scanned in the card you could also mix records with someone and pass the Eon ticket over to them.

I remember heading to that event and on the way some dudes in a Pikachu beetle just gave me a couple of those cards. I was like, sweet, because I thought Nintendo themselves beamed the Ticket to you with a link cable so you wouldn't need an e-Reader. I already had an e-Reader (still do, in fact) so it was a matter of borrowing cousin's GBA.

mattso

Halycon said:
That would be greatly appreciated, what do I have to do?
just pm me your fc and i'll hit you up with mine. anything is fine, a have quite the collection of traded bidoofs on my diamond I could add yours to.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mattso said:
just pm me your fc and i'll hit you up with mine. anything is fine, a have quite the collection of traded bidoofs on my diamond I could add yours to.
Done!

Jiggy

Teknoman said:
GAF tournaments better not have any silly clauses. You know the ones im talking about.
If I were making one, I'd probably kick Species Clause right out as long as people didn't try to get cute with having three Salamence (or whatever) all named SALAMENCE for the sake of mindgames. Everybody except me would hate it, though, which is just one reason I'm not bothering!

Firestorm

Divvy said:
I've heard that Garchomp is banned now too. Is this true?

EDIT: thanks below
wait a second. You're not Adumaha. People should not have the same avatar as someone else.
Edit: wait yes you are. you changed your name you tricky bastard

Jiggy

With enemies in Victory Road pulling out the likes of
Magnezone
Blissey
Clefable
Mamoswine
, and
Torterra
on me, in addition to various other trainers in the mid-game carrying stuff like
Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon
on the same team, or
Espeon and Umbreon
on the same team, and others I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's really nice to see that the enemy trainers now use real Pokemon who at least resemble something threatening. For just this reason, Platinum's single-player is almost infinitely better than that of Diamond/Pearl.

Which is to say that it's about at a B instead of a B-.

Edit: And there come
Staraptor
and
Lickilicky
. And
Machamp
, but I think I remember that already being there. And
Dusknoir
. Edit 2:
Porygon-Z
Tangrowth
, and
Empoleon
on the same team. Ouch.

mattso said:
wobbuffets ability trapping you in, the ability to use encore to make sure you attack, and then having both counter and mirror coat make it pretty lethal, a bit uncounterable, and made it so everyone would want one overcentralizing the metagame.

or so the story goes.

I remember on shoddy for awhile (possibly still so) they unbanned wobby to test it out and I didn't think it was so bad but the boys up at smogon disagreed.

So why hasnt team rocket won yet?

Jiggy

jamesinclair said:
So why hasnt team rocket won yet?
They rarely try to use Wobbuffet in real battles, and one of the few times I remember Jessie trying, she kept confusing which move out of Counter and Mirror Coat returned physical and special attacks. Though in one episode she did remember to Counter some move from a Larvitar and the resulting force was so powerful that it blasted the characters into the Larvitar's memories.

And no, I don't know why I remember this either.

Jiggy

[22:57] <JiggyDW> Must beat this game in just under an hour to say I beat it on 3-24-09...
[22:58] <JiggyDW> Hopefully DD Gyarados can do it. D:
[22:58] <IamCanadian> On my end, you've got two minutes. :p
[22:58] <JiggyDW> blasted daylight savings time D:
[22:59] <JiggyDW> I could have had another hour!
[22:59] <IamCanadian> This is why it must be abolished!
[22:59] <Halyscrewed> the rest of the world doesn't observe DST
[22:59] <Halyscrewed> if you don't say anything I won't

[insert time jump here in the interest of brevity; final rival battle going on]

[23:18] <JiggyDW> Round 5: L53 Porygon (yes, unevolved Porygon) vs. L47 Roserade
[23:19] <IamCanadian> :O
[23:19] <JiggyDW> Despite its 55% accuracy, Grasswhistle connects, but Porygon wakes up in one turn and paralyzes with Tri Attack, then wins on a second hit.
[23:19] <JiggyDW> FINAL ROUND: L52 Gyarados vs. L51 Infernape
[23:19] <IamCanadian> :O
[23:20] <JiggyDW> It uses Focus Blast and criticals, negating type disadvantage, but Waterfall is an easy OHKO.
[23:20] <JiggyDW> Now on to the actual Elite 4. D:
[23:20] <JiggyDW> Gotta buy Revives too, and dump off the HM slave so she doesn't appear in my records.
[23:21] <JiggyDW> Here we go. L54 Porygon, L50 Giratina, L52 Torterra, L52 Gyarados, and L53 Jolteon vs. the Elite 4 and championi!
[23:21] <JiggyDW> *champion!
[23:21] <JiggyDW> Championi. XD
[23:22] <JiggyDW> 39 minutes for five trainers.
[23:22] <IamCanadian> FEEL THE PRESSURE
[23:22] <JiggyDW> First up: Bug Loser Aaron.
[23:22] <JiggyDW> Awesome profile pic of the main character. :O
[23:23] <JiggyDW> L49 Yanmega lead lands me in swift trouble as I kick off with Torterra, but he's Double Teaming. I switch to Jolteon and Thunder.
[23:23] <Milatto> the pic is just as appropriate as the song heh
[23:24] <JiggyDW> Dilly the Gyarados Intimidates an enemy Heracross and Dragon Dances, but a missed Stone Edge from the enemy proves this isn't the time. Waterfall!
[23:24] <JiggyDW> Play by play <3
[23:24] <JiggyDW> It uses Stone Edge and hits for almost half damage, but Dilly survives and I win. In comes Vespiquen on their side and I bring back Torterra because Vespiquen is a tank.
[23:25] <JiggyDW> Leech Seed, take an Attack Order, retreat back to Gyarados for Intimidate + type advantage + recovery, but she uses Defend Order. Then she uses Power Gem, a SPECIAL Rock-type attack.
[23:25] <JiggyDW> I win anyway because Vespiquen sucks.
[23:26] <JiggyDW> Drapion in for them, Torterra back for me since it's the only thing Drapion is weak against--but it has Ice Fang! But I survive and hit Earthquake.
[23:26] <IamCanadian> XD
[23:26] <JiggyDW> He survives too.
[23:26] <JiggyDW> Sitrus Berry kicks in and I spam a Hyper Potion.
[23:26] <JiggyDW> His second Ice Fang does like 50 damage more than the first and I use a Hyper Potion again. :|
[23:27] <JiggyDW> Another Ice Fang and Torterra's at 3 HP, but hits Earthquake and wins.
[23:27] <JiggyDW> TO THE WIRE
[23:27] <JiggyDW> Scizor's in and Gyarados is playing MVP again with Intimidate.
[23:27] <JiggyDW> Plus Bug and Steel resistance, so we'll see how this plays out. Yep, best Scizor can do is Night Slash.
[23:28] <JiggyDW> Double Dragon Dance followed by Waterfall ends Scizor and this battle.
Look at what fun you all are missing by not being in IRC. Edit: It's not usually nearly ten percent this fun, actually, but that won't stop me from pretending it is.

And yes, I did this for the entire Elite 4 and champion--and yes, people other than me eventually started talking by the third of the Elite 4 or so, but I didn't want to spoil the entire experience. I did just make my deadline, as my trainer card records the victory at exactly 23:59. :D

Captain N

Where can I get more items for my fashion case AND does anyone have a list of where berries make what with the poffin case?

Masked Man

I said wow
Jiggy said:
Look at what fun you all are missing by not being in IRC. Edit: It's not usually nearly ten percent this fun, actually, but that won't stop me from pretending it is.

And yes, I did this for the entire Elite 4 and champion--and yes, people other than me eventually started talking by the third of the Elite 4 or so, but I didn't want to spoil the entire experience. I did just make my deadline, as my trainer card records the victory at exactly 23:59. :D

I'll have to pop in again sometime soon. D:

But congrats on making your deadline! Although I can't say that I'm surprised that you did. You of all people would certainly be able to do so. :D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Captain N said:
Where can I get more items for my fashion case AND does anyone have a list of where berries make what with the poffin case?
The combination of your avatar and the frequent rate at which you ask these questions is... somehow aggravating. lol

But seriously, why not just check some dedicated sites for this stuff? It'd probably be faster than waiting for a response here. Gamefaqs, Serebii, Bulbapedia, Pokegoons, etc.

Captain N

Sixfortyfive said:
The combination of your avatar and the frequent rate at which you ask these questions is... somehow aggravating. lol

But seriously, why not just check some dedicated sites for this stuff? It'd probably be faster than waiting for a response here. Gamefaqs, Serebii, Bulbapedia, Pokegoons, etc.

Alrighty...sorry for all the questions. I'll stop asking any.

DarkWish

Blu_LED said:
Is there a legit version of Arceus anywhere in the world? Did they give him out in Japan yet?
No, not yet. Japan should be getting him sometime this year, and so the US will probably get it at the end of this year or early next year.

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
The guide I have says that it is in a hidden square on last patch of grass in the route directly below Veilstone City. Use the itemfinder and you'll find it.

Thanks!

Sixfortyfive

Two badges down. The changes they made to the Eterna City gym are so pointless. What, did they think the D/P style was too difficult to navigate or something? Lulz.

The current team:
-Turtwig lv17
-Staravia lv17
-Bibarel lv17
-Shinx lv17
-Kricketune lv17
-Bronzor lv16

Giard

..Can someone explain to me why Dragonite and Rotom are banned from Nintendo Tournaments?

Trying to beat Crasher Wake, but I have no grass and no electric moves...
Kinda hard.

Sixfortyfive

Giard said:
..Can someone explain to me why Dragonite is banned from Nintendo Tournaments?
I think it's because it doesn't evolve before level 50. This is why only the Toys R Us event version is permitted.

Yes, it's stupid.

Giard

Sixfortyfive said:
I think it's because it doesn't evolve before level 50. This is why only the Toys R Us event version is permitted.

Yes, it's stupid.

Okay..

Oh, and anyone else think it's weird that Garchomp was banned before Blissey was? There were many more complaints about Blissey IIRC...maybe she's just too overused.

Balb

Giard said:
Okay..

Oh, and anyone else think it's weird that Garchomp was banned before Blissey was? There were many more complaints about Blissey IIRC...maybe she's just too overused.

Blissey is nowhere near the level of Garchomp.

Verilligo

Sixfortyfive said:

Yes, it's stupid.
No, the really stupid part is there's pokemon far more dangerous than Dragonite which aren't banned. Salamence comes trippingly to the tongue, among others. But hey, tournament rules were always bizarre to me, so this isn't a first.

Giard said:
Okay..

There's a two-fold reason for Garchomp's banning. Speed and power. These two aspects are the most important part of battles, if you can go before the enemy and knock him out instantly then you have won. This, compounded with an excellent movepool and defenses that... actually ain't none too shabby makes for a lethal weapon. Of course, I prefer a Scizor straight to the face.

Teknoman

Masked Man said:
To his credit, Bulbapedia has been on the fritz for the past few days, and Serebii was giving me problems yesterday, too. ;)

This is just like when D/P released, and Serebii exploded.

Firestorm

Whoever gave Garchomp 102 speed should be fired really.

And yeah, Dragonite banned due to evolving at LV55. Rotom banned for god knows what reason.

Jiggy

Masked Man said:
I'll have to pop in again sometime soon. D:

But congrats on making your deadline! Although I can't say that I'm surprised that you did. You of all people would certainly be able to do so. :D
It came really close, as the champion eliminated my Gyarados (the only way I could handle her much higher levels) with two consecutive Special Defense drops off Shadow Ball and I had to soft reset. Went in there, hit X Guard to boost Special Defense and stop Spiritomb, Dragon Danced up six times with three Full Restores dropped in intermittently, and blasted through one-shooting everything. Then, as my computer clock read 11:58, I was mashing through text, hoping that it would get around to saving before midnight. Just barely did! :O

In all seriousness, if I hadn't devoted myself to writing play by play on everything simultaneously to actuallay playing it, I would have easily made my time--but it also would have been very, very much less fun on my end. :D

Giard said:
Blissey can prevent enemy sweeps, but but is very rarely effective in initiating them for her own side since merely taking hits repeatedly never has won and never will win a battle for anyone. She even has more difficulty forcing switches than other walls who can actually attack (Donphan, Dusknoir, Weezing, defensive Heatran, non-defensive Heatran, Swampert, Suicune) or phaze (Skarmory, Suicune again, Donphan again, Swampert again), so even in the sense of helping to build up residual damage with Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes she's not that great.

She's not a threat to enemies, but a hindrance. It can be really annoying to see her on almost every last team, though, which is why I sometimes make a point to use other lesser special walls and/or Light Screen support instead.

Edit: Got caught up in the replies and forgot to post what I actually came here to post, which is that the Battle Factory was in Emerald and is in Platinum the best that single-player Pokemon has ever aspired to, by far. And it's even better in Platinum. Emerald eased you in slowly with wuss Pokemon competing against wuss Pokemon and gradually built up to the good stuff; Platinum hands you rentals like Garchomp, Infernape, and Weavile the bat instead of making you putter around with Granbull and Vibrava until you can trade up.

I dont remember needing to do the contests for the 3rd badge in the jpn version.

how do i get the gym boss back to her gym again?

Top Bottom