• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Jiggy

Okay, I had turned on my DS to compare with Diamond and at first I did think Platinum was looking smoother in addition to the animation, but then I realized the difference between D/P Eterna's and Platinum Eterna's ground tiles accounted for it. Yes, it's just the bike animation.

Teknoman

They made surfing faster too.

Oh and review from IGN
http://ds.ign.com/articles/965/965092p1.html

Overall

8.5 Presentation
Though the great Diamond and Pearl are the foundation, the two year gap means extra elements like better online and an extra area to explore.

6.5 Graphics
Game Boy imagery looked dated in the DS originals, and though you'll find a bit of clean-up plus a new 3D world, the visuals still have low standards.

6.5 Sound
The generic soundtrack from Diamond and Pearl remain intact, with some newer pieces that have a bit more personality. But just a bit.

9.0 Gameplay
Rag on it all you want for being "kiddy," Pokemon is still one of the deepest RPG experiences around with a tremendous focus on strategy.

10 Lasting Appeal
Even when the 40+ hours of adventuring is over, you've still got multiplayer, trading, and other local and online elements to experience.

Dont agree with the sound score, but there you go.

I just picked up the game, and the strategy guide. I was surprised to learn that the strategy guide was made by the Pokemon Company. When Nintendo Power stopped making Player's Guides, it was really the end of an era, so perhaps this means that Nintendo has given up on making them just yet.

I've flipped through it, its pretty nice. However, do you guys think I can get by on it alone? Is serebii.net now irrelevant? Because the book pretty much has everyone, except for perhaps the more technical aspects like those berries which take away EV's. Or does it?

Blizzard

Banned
I thought I had finally outgrown pokemon, perhaps. I went into Toys R Us for the Darkrai giveaway, and braved the talk of the teenagers in there about which pokemon might be most powerful, and about breeding, and so forth. The last couple of legendaries, I just didn't have the motivation. I didn't even have the motivation to drive up outside Toys R Us and try to pick up the signal through the wall for a cute little legendary hedgehog recently. And to think that once I made a battle simulator, and combed through tons of details to try to understand everything just right. (and even so, I was never competent at battling)

And yet, when I heard about the recent release of the platinum-mon game, I felt the irrational urge. I was compelled to get it, even for the excessive price of $35 instead of $30 (with some melted-down plastic abomination of a figure).

So I went to Wal-mart tonight and perused the electronics section. I saw the game, with its high price and its unusually large box, on the bottom of the DS section. I was gazing at it thoughtfully when a middle-aged black gentleman made his way through the crowds of people in the electronics section. He asked if I needed assistance with anything, and I told him the game I wanted...so, he got it out, and weaved past all the young hipsters staring at the hottest Wii and 360 games and accessories.

I grabbed Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon for $12 on the way to the checkout, in an effort to appear slightly less weird...me, a yuppie fresh out of engineering grad school, buying the pokemans.

As the aging gentleman fumbled at the checkout, he muttered something, and I thought it must be giving him trouble. Then he said it again, shaking his head... "I can't believe it's still selling, after all these years." I tried to make small talk, "Yeah, I played it years ago, and I figured I'd just..." He shook his head again, choking back the emotion rising in him.

"It's okay, I still even play the game myself. I heard it on NeoGAF, the preeminent online gaming forum. They killed gaming. They're the reason KillZone 2 didn't sell well. It's all the...the casuals with their [censored] pokemon. It's all the casuals..."

I left him there in the electronics section, a shattered husk of a man. As I went out into the fluorescent glare of the Wal-Mart parking lot, I had gotten what I came for. I had the pokemans. But, I reflected...at what price?

Disclaimer: Only parts of this story may be true.

Jiggy

"Generic soundtrack"? I love Pokemon music and it's one of the things that sustains me through the single-player. It's one of the series' best traits.

Visually I think its has a great style because that no matter what way you look at it, its Pokemon.

I guess reviewers feel the need to compare this to something like Zelda, or GTA, which I guess is fair, but not at all how I look at it.

mattso

so I can catch rotom now or I can wait until I decide which nature I like best

hmmm

can the appliance rotom forms be used online even? if not I guess it doesn't matter too much

Shiggie

Blizzard said:
As the aging gentleman fumbled at the checkout, he muttered something, and I thought it must be giving him trouble. Then he said it again, shaking his head... "I can't believe it's still selling, after all these years." I tried to make small talk, "Yeah, I played it years ago, and I figured I'd just..." He shook his head again, choking back the emotion rising in him.

"It's okay, I still even play the game myself. I heard it on NeoGAF, the preeminent online gaming forum. They killed gaming. They're the reason KillZone 2 didn't sell well. It's all the...the casuals with their [censored] pokemon. It's all the casuals..."

I left him there in the electronics section, a shattered husk of a man. As I went out into the fluorescent glare of the Wal-Mart parking lot, I had gotten what I came for. I had the pokemans. But, I reflected...at what price?

Disclaimer: Only parts of this story may be true.
:lol :lol I lol'd.

Teknoman

mattso said:
so I can catch rotom now or I can wait until I decide which nature I like best

hmmm

can the appliance rotom forms be used online even? if not I guess it doesn't matter too much

Im sure they can, wouldnt make any sense to even have them in game if you couldnt battle with em.

mattso

Teknoman said:
Im sure they can, wouldnt make any sense to even have them in game if you couldnt battle with em.
I remember hearing something when the new forms were first revealed about how when you went to go in the union room rotom would go back to its origin form

I guess that was just hooplah then?

Teknoman

mattso said:
I remember hearing something when the new forms were first revealed about how when you went to go in the union room rotom would go back to its origin form

I guess that was just hooplah then?

Really? I hope not, because Mow Rotom looks great. Didnt see anything mentioned at Serebii or official Nintendo site.

mattso

Teknoman said:
Really? I hope not, because Mow Rotom looks great. Didnt see anything mentioned at Serebii or official Nintendo site.
yeah I can't find anything on it either so I guess I don't know

I think I'll try a few times to catch a bold one (seems to be the best nature for the appliance ones to me) tonight and if not I'll wait til later on in the game

maybe I'm confusing giratina or shaymin or something I have no idea

Teknoman

Well they'll revert to normal form when fighting against a non-platinum version I guess...

I know Giratina and Shaymin can retain forms with certain items, but most likely have to revert when fighting against D/P. Im not sure though, so we probably should wait till someone tries it out/confirms it.

This needs to be renamed "I'm 20+ and I play Pokémon"

Seriously I don't care about your age. It's not that amazing that you are 20+ and playing a game.

Anyway, I have Monferno...and brought the Pokétopia Pikachu over that has Surf & Volt Tackle...but I don't know who else to use on my team. I don't really play competitively, I just use my favorites. Last time it was Houndoom, Lucario, Luxray, Staraptor, Roserade, and Empoleon...

Delio

Welp i have four badges now and headed for Wake's Gym. Been rocking it with a Eved Honchkrow,Monferno and Rotom. All i have really needed at the moment although i plan on getting a Vaporeon trained up.

Jiggy

There's something beautiful and glorious about being able to bike in Hearthome City to Hearthome City music, thanks to the bike not canceling itself in those checkpoint buildings between towns. This'll make breeding so much nicer.

Edit: Oh hey, free insta-
Eevee
in Hearthome--best Pokemon giveaway since they dumped Eevee and Lapras in your lap in R/B/Y. Now to go test that Menu Giratina Shriek = More Fun Soft Resetting theory since I want a good one of these.

Captain N

I still haven't delivered the package to my rival that his mother gave me. Hopefully I will get to play it a little bit more before I head to bed tonight and some more tomorrow in the morning.

Ravidrath

Man, game reviews have sort of become a parody of themselves... and I say this as a long-time professional reviewer.

While it still is (very intentionally) trying to keep a 16-bit, pixel-centric presentation, the game is super polished and attractive for that kind of art. While I can see appreciating pixel art not being terribly mainstream, the game is pretty attractive by DS standards - it's very well tailored to the system's capabilities, and more 3D would not help this game look any better.

The music is great, too - it feels nostalgic, but it's pretty epic and high-energy almost all the time. There's a wide variety of styles, but it all sounds like Game Freak music... I don't see how anyone can say that it's generic, because nothing else really has the same style of music.

Captain N

Ravidrath said:
Man, game reviews have sort of become a parody of themselves... and I say this as a long-time professional reviewer.

While it still is (very intentionally) trying to keep a 16-bit, pixel-centric presentation, the game is super polished and attractive for that kind of art. While I can see appreciating pixel art not being terribly mainstream, the game is pretty attractive by DS standards - it's very well tailored to the system's capabilities, and more 3D would not help this game look any better.

The music is great, too - it feels nostalgic, but it's pretty epic and high-energy almost all the time. There's a wide variety of styles, but it all sounds like Game Freak music... I don't see how anyone can say that it's generic, because nothing else really has the same style of music.

I love the look of the game and agree with you about it being very polished.

Delio

Jiggy said:
There's something beautiful and glorious about being able to bike in Hearthome City to Hearthome City music, thanks to the bike not canceling itself in those checkpoint buildings between towns. This'll make breeding so much nicer.

Edit: Oh hey, free insta-
Eevee
in Hearthome--best Pokemon giveaway since they dumped Eevee and Lapras in your lap in R/B/Y. Now to go test that Menu Giratina Shriek = More Fun Soft Resetting theory since I want a good one of these.

Heh i got a nice Calm female one soft resetting for a bit. Gonna work with it

I'm at the Galactic HQ right now and I'm using the Tropius I caught in the Safari Zone. I forgot how awesome that Pokemon is.
357Tropius.png

Captain N

Delio said:
Welp i have four badges now and headed for Wake's Gym. Been rocking it with a Eved Honchkrow,Monferno and Rotom. All i have really needed at the moment although i plan on getting a Vaporeon trained up.

What level will your Pokemon listen to you at after you've got 4 badges?

I want to level up Pokemon, but I was also wondering if I should level 1 Pokemon up a lot more then the rest or try to get them all equal.

Delio

Captain N said:
What level will your Pokemon listen to you at after you've got 4 badges?

I want to level up Pokemon, but I was also wondering if I should level 1 Pokemon up a lot more then the rest or try to get them all equal.

That only effects traded stuff you know. The pokemon you cacth will obey you no matter what. I'm not to sure what level the 4th badge lets you control though :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Delio said:
That only effects traded stuff you know. The pokemon you cacth will obey you no matter what. I'm not to sure what level the 4th badge lets you control though :/

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Delio said:
You know, I once spent hours trying to nail down these numbers. No where on the internet could seem to agree.

Turns out it's in the manual (page 29; oh, and it even says "Badges" in the table of contents on the first page).

0 Badges - up to level 10
2 Badges - up to level 30
4 Badges - up to level 50
6 Badges - up to level 70
8 Badges - any level

perfectchaos007 said:
Are the EV eliminating berries exclusive to Platinum? And wouldn't giving that to your pokemon make their stats worse??

EV reducing berries have been around since Emerald. They don't reduce EVs as a held item in battle, only if you feed them to Pokemon outside of battle. The purpose is to eliminate unwanted EVs so you can retrain Pokemon with messed up EVs.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
shykyoichi said:
Very awesome. I myself use it as an HM Slave.
Pokemon are not meant to be used as slaves.... :(((((((

Ravidrath

Are there any other good HM slave other than Bibarel for the physically-oriented HMs?

Was thinking I'd use a Mantine for Fly/Surf/Defog/Waterfall... anything other than a Bibarel in the game that can use the other four?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tropius can rock smash, strength, cut, and Fly.

The big problem these days is what the heck can rock climb and cut besides Mew... I'm not sure anything can.

Ravidrath

Man God said:

The big problem these days is what the heck can rock climb and cut besides Mew... I'm not sure anything can.

Bibarel can do both of those, I know... looks like I may be going with a Toxicroak for those last four moves.

Grr... I could've sworn Mantine could use Fly, but it can't... gotta be a way to get all 8 moves on two non-legendary Pokemon.

Ravidrath said:
Are there any other good HM slave other than Bibarel for the physically-oriented HMs?

Was thinking I'd use a Mantine for Fly/Surf/Defog/Waterfall... anything other than a Bibarel in the game that can use the other four?

Man God said:

See? Tropius is on the same level as Bidoof. I also use Tentacruel but I haven't tried it in D/P.

Blizzard

Banned
Aww, no one else apparently saw the similarity of Professor Rowan. :(

I need to quit to go to sleep, but I got as far as Sandgem Town. Granted, I haven't played in forever (i.e. since diamond and pearl probably last year), but the music is actually amazingly soothing...even the synthesized piano in Sandgem Town is nice!

Too bad battle text is still slow and running up stairs is still slow and all text is still slow even on fast skippable text mode. >_>

Ravidrath

OK, so... the only way I can see to get all 8 HMs into two Pokemon w/ D/P/Pt-obtainable Pokemon is...

Skarmory
Fly
Defog
Cut
Rock Smash

Bibarel
Surf
Waterfall
Strength
Rock Climb​

...Problem is that Skarmory is only obtainable in D/P/Pt with the Pokeradar.

Blastoise, Feraligator and Poliwrath can also use all the moves Bibarel can, but the thought of demeaning a starter as a HM slave doesn't sit well with me. So Poliwrath it is, I guess!

mandiller

Is there anyone that wants to jump on wifi to help me evolve a few pokemon that need to be traded? I need my Haunter, Porygon, Kadabra traded. I'd certainly appreciate it.

My friend code is: 3437 8860 3841.

Jiggy

mandiller said:
Is there anyone that wants to jump on wifi to help me evolve a few pokemon that need to be traded? I need my Haunter, Porygon, Kadabra traded. I'd certainly appreciate it.

My friend code is: 3437 8860 3841.
4125 0880 4827
[Edit: Trainer name is Colette but my name is not, etc. :p]

And come in here if you want (not just you, but anyone else reading who might need this kind of thing in the future):

Firestorm said:
GAF Nintendo WiFi Connection IRC Channel is #gaf_wfc on irc.globalgamers.net
So if you have an IRC client, use that to connect there and if enough Pokemon people start using it it'll get MUCH easier to coordinate battles. [...]

Or just use your web browser. http://www.mibbit.com/
Server: irc.globalgamers.net
Channel: #gaf_wfc

Guled

I really don't like the way HM works, they should change it for the next round of games. Being able to use the skill in the wild shouldn't have to take up a move slot

Masked Man

I said wow
Guled said:
I really don't like the way HM works, they should change it for the next round of games. Being able to use the skill in the wild shouldn't have to take up a move slot

That would be wonderful, actually. Granted, you should still be able to teach Pokémon an HM as an attack if you would like (i.e. Surf is really useful in and of battle), but that option would be really nice, I think. At least you could just travel around with a party of six--as opposed to a party of five with an HM Slave. ;P

Top Bottom