• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Captain N

Do all Pokemon evolve at level 14? My Chimchar just did and I wasn't sure if I should hit B to cancel it or not..Does it make a difference if I were to let him evolve?

Ravidrath said:
...Problem is that Skarmory is only obtainable in D/P/Pt with the Pokeradar.
My 650 page guide says otherwise. Once you beat the Elite Four and
get to the Battle Frontier,
Skarmory can be found right outside of
Stark Mountain

Also, just for kicks, here's my in-game team as of right now. I am currently at Galactic HQ and have 7 badges:

Scare the Lv. 27 Scizor
Icy the Lv. 39 Mamoswine
Giga the Lv. 40 Tropius
Light the Lv. 40 Luxray
Bird the Lv. 41 Staraptor
Fira the Lv. 45 Infernape

Also, as a weird side note, all of my Pokemon are captured with Pokeballs except for the ones where you have to use something different to catch them (i.e. Safari Balls in the Safari Zone). I don't know why but I feel like using the other balls like the Great, Ultra, and Dusk balls take away part of the challenge and I have ALWAYS played like that since the original games.

Giard

Captain N said:
Do all Pokemon evolve at level 14? My Chimchar just did and I wasn't sure if I should hit B to cancel it or not..Does it make a difference if I were to let him evolve?
No. For example, Gastly evolves at level 25.

The only advantage of cancelling evolution is that the less evolved you are, the faster it is to learn new level-up moves. Some pokemon can even learn moves that can't be learned by their evolved form that way, but not a lot.
Evolved forms have superior stats, so the choice is yours.

Quick EV Questions. I never tried a competitive team.

If you catch a Level 54 wild Pokemon does it have any EV points against it's total yet?

How do the vitamins work towards the EV totals?

Cynar

Anerythristic said:
Quick EV Questions. I never tried a competitive team.

If you catch a Level 54 wild Pokemon does it have any EV points against it's total yet?

How do the vitamins work towards the EV totals?

first question: no ev's
second question: vitamins add 10 ev's to a particular stat per vitamin I believe

Teknoman

31USS93iWRL._AA280_.jpg

xSL4INx

My current team is:

lvl 33 Golduck
lvl 23 Grotle
lvl 27 Gengar
lvl 28 Gabite
lvl 27 Golem

About to get my 3rd badge

Blizzard

Banned
Captain N said:
Can you get the other two starting Pokemon without trading?

I think this happened once in the history of Pokemon, in Pokemon Yellow. It only happened then because you started with pikachu, not a normal starter. :lol

Guled

Captain N said:
Do the Pokemon in your PC level at all?
the only way pokemon level up is by being in battle or if they are in the daycare center. There is also an item that shares battle experience with another pokemon in the party

Firestorm

I'd recommend trading for eggs rather than the actual Pokemon. That way when they hatch they'll be yours and will listen to you no matter what level they are.

Captain N

Firestorm said:
I'd recommend trading for eggs rather than the actual Pokemon. That way when they hatch they'll be yours and will listen to you no matter what level they are.

How do I get eggs?

Also what are some really good pokemon to look out for in the early goings.

mattso

Captain N said:
How do I get eggs?

you have to breed at the daycare center or trade with someone

I have a squirtle egg handy if anyone wants it

I have a ton of eggs on my diamond I don't even remember what breeding project they were from

Firestorm

Captain N said:
How do I get eggs?

Well if you breed Pokemon they'll lay eggs which hatch into the same species as the mother (Father if breeding with a Ditto). However, you don't get to do that until a city much later in the game. Just trade someone for an egg of the Pokemon you want. That's what I did for Piplup and Turtwig.

Captain N

mattso said:
you have to breed at the daycare center or trade with someone

I have a squirtle egg handy if anyone wants it

I have a ton of eggs on my diamond I don't even remember what breeding project they were from

Could I get that egg?

Teknoman

Think im going with Chimchar as a starter this time. Started with Turtwig in Diamond...and I don't like Piplup's design.

Teknoman

Wii Will Rock U said:
Just got to the Distortion World, I'll try to catch Giratina tonight. Jeez, Tropius and Mamoswine are SOOOOOO useful.

Anything else show up in there Pokemon wise?

Also you guys must be charging through the game.

Ravidrath

Wii Will Rock U said:
My 650 page guide says otherwise. Once you beat the Elite Four and
get to the Battle Frontier,
Skarmory can be found right outside of
Stark Mountain

Ah, OK - I just saw on Serebii that it had some kind of qualifier by it, which usually goes with PokeRadar.

My general point sort of still stands, though - without trading, you can't get it down to two Pokemon within the game's main quest, but need to get through that and do additional content first.

Forkball

Didn't this game come out yesterday? How the hell are some of you guys this far?

The second I meet someone who will let me borrow their DS for a few days I will buy Platinum and trade all my Diamond Pokemon over.

mattso

Captain N said:
Thanks for the egg! What cities can I get the egg hatched? I have no idea how to do it.
just keep it in your party and it will after about 5000 steps I believe for squirtle

Netto-kun

Teknoman said:
Nope, no catchable Pokémon other then Giratina.
Though the Lake trio will show up and give you hints on some of the puzzles. (wait, does this even need a spoiler-tag?)

Teknoman said:

Also you guys must be charging through the game.
On the contrary, I have 27 hours clocked in. I've had the import for about a month.

P.S.: Just caught a Lv. 38 Abomasnow on Mt. Coronet's Peak. Holy crap is he ever useful.
ArtYukinooh.png

And yes, as always, I caught it with a regular old Pokeball.

P.P.S.: I just found a Dubious Disk item and I looked in my player's guide and saw that this evolves Porygon 2 into Porygon Z. Anyone willing to trade-trade back with me so I can evolve my Porygon 2?

Sixfortyfive said:
There are a few things that can only be done on certain days. Drifloom on Fridays, battling the rival in front of the Battle Tower on weekends, etc. Don't know how much of this was changed from D/P to Pt though.

Im glad to hear they brought it back. I never understood the downgrade from G/S to the GBA games.

As for world size...how does this pokeworld compare to previous ones?

Again, my reference is Pokemon Gold, where after beating the new world they let you play through all of Kanto.

Firestorm

PusherT said:
Don't have plantnium but have pearl willing to battle anyone here. No legends though
fuuuuck my articuno :(
No Legendaries is such a stupid arbitrary rule.

Anyone else following this thread even though they have no intention of buying Platinum?

Ravidrath

Captain N said:
Thanks for the egg! What cities can I get the egg hatched? I have no idea how to do it.

Put it in your party, and walk around with it.

Protip: If you put a Pokemon with the ability Flame Body in the first spot in your party, it'll hatch twice as quickly.

Ravidrath said:
Protip: If you put a Pokemon with the ability Flame Body in the first spot in your party, it'll hatch twice as quickly.
Pro-pro-tip: Magmortar has Flame Body, I have a Magmortar (traded my Fuego Ironworks Magmar over to mattso and traded back), and I'll let you borrow it so you can quickly hatch your egg.

mattso

Wii Will Rock U said:
On the contrary, I have 27 hours clocked in. I've had the import for about a month.

P.P.S.: I just found a Dubious Disk item and I looked in my player's guide and saw that this evolves Porygon 2 into Porygon Z. Anyone willing to trade-trade back with me so I can evolve my Porygon 2?
I always liked p2 over pz. Pretty awesome wall.
I guess I can since I have you registered

mattso said:
I always liked p2 over pz. Pretty awesome wall.
I guess I can since I have you registered
Sweet, I'm logging on now. :)

EDIT: Done and done, no problems, as always matt. I see your Tyrogue evolved! Thanks again! I now have a Porygon Z! Time to catch Giratina and conquer the 8th gym! :D

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
BrandNew said:
I picked Piplup early on and regret it already. Chimchar is the fucking shit.
He's a monkey that's on fire. Really your own fault for not realizing the awesomeness of this early on.

Teknoman

Anyone not planning on getting platinum should still join the Pokemon revival with Diamond/Pearl. Restart or not, its always good to have diverse competition.

xSL4INx

RagnarokX said:
What will be your 6th pokemon, Gardevoir?

To be quite honest, I hadn't even realized everyone's name in my team started with the letter G. I don't know who my 6th Pokemon will be.

Just got my 3rd badge, 12 hours in.

PusherT

Firestorm said:
fuuuuck my articuno :(
No Legendaries is such a stupid arbitrary rule.

Anyone else following this thread even though they have no intention of buying Platinum?
Fuck it bring on Articuno. My FC is 1289-4687-7542 "J-Stab" I will battle you

Top Bottom