• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Shiggie

Wii Will Rock U said:
WOAH. I just found one of these while surfing. WTF.

369Relicanth.png

It's a Water-Rock Type that doesn't take recoil damage and when I looked in the guide it says it's a Pokemon named Relicanth from Ruby and Sapphire (Though I had Ruby and never remember this guy).
Its a very rare pokemon. Its used to be able to catch the Regis.

Wii Will Rock U said:
WOAH. I just found one of these while surfing. WTF.

369Relicanth.png

It's a Water-Rock Type that doesn't take recoil damage and when I looked in the guide it says it's a Pokemon named Relicanth from Ruby and Sapphire (Though I had Ruby and never remember this guy).

Man I remember spending an hour or more underwater looking for this damn thing in Ruby version.

Jiggy

Fun fact: if neither Pokemon has a boost of any kind, then neutral nature Relicanth Head Smash will hit harder than Attack+ Tyranitar Stone Edge.

Relicanth is a huge liability defensively, though, but it's still interesting. To me, at least.

Jiggy said:
Fun fact: if neither Pokemon has a boost of any kind, then neutral nature Relicanth Head Smash will hit harder than Attack+ Tyranitar Stone Edge.

Relicanth is a huge liability defensively, though, but it's still interesting. To me, at least.
Holy crap, I'm going to raise this Relicanth then.

Did anyone watch that youtube video yet? lol

mattso

Jiggy said:

Relicanth can have a pretty huge defense stat but the typing screws it.

Fighting weakness is never a good thing.

Captain N

Can you Dive in Platinum?

Seriously...this is the first Pokemon game I spent this much time on. 40 hours and still ticking! The most I spent on any other Pokemon game would probably be around 10 hours.

also..is the best fishing rod the 'good rod'. I keep getting the same fish whenever I use it.

mattso

Captain N said:

Seriously...this is the first Pokemon game I spent this much time on. 40 hours and still ticking! The most I spent on any other Pokemon game would probably be around 10 hours.
pokemon can learn it but I don't think you ever use it out of battle

Wii Will Rock U said:
As long as I can use it in the Battle Frontier, I'll use it.

You can use whatever you like, its more fun that way.

I'm just playing some theorymon in my head... which I'm pretty out of practice on

Chozo

Captain N said:

No. Pokemon can learn Dive via the move tutor, though I'm at a loss as to why you'd want to.

Of course, they replaced Dive with Defog =\ Good job on reducing the need for HM slaves, guys.

also..is the best fishing rod the 'good rod'. I keep getting the same fish whenever I use it.

No, same as previous games: Old Rod->Good Rod->Super rod. Super rod is post National Dex IIRC.

mattso

larvi said:
Ah true, I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet they probably do then. I may have to transfer my ttar over from diamond to find out. Is it the same challenge everyday or does it change? And yes, it is like the battle discs in XD, I really liked those too.

Is there a pokemon that learns imprison and endure? That might be another way to beat it but you would need to have a least one that doesn't use endure on the 1st turn and you can kill in 1 round.
I beat it with mach punch infernape and venusaur with sleep powder... and a bit of luck

the prize for it though?
I was a tad let down, woop dee doo a battle with a blissey.

Firestorm

colinp said:
Ah jeez, conflict already! I went with chimchar.. No worries, not sure I really like turtwig as a character anyway. Appreciate the advice though GrayGhost.
Uh no. You picked the right pokemon. Infernape is the best of the three starters in a competitive sense. Torterra is great for in-game I'd say. Empoleon is the only one I found useless for both, but he makes a decent HM slave. Going with anything is fine. Just pick who you like.

mattso

Firestorm said:
Uh no. You picked the right pokemon. Infernape is the best of the three starters in a competitive sense. Torterra is great for in-game I'd say. Empoleon is the only one I found useless for both, but he makes a decent HM slave. Going with anything is fine. Just pick who you like.
I used an empoleon competitively pretty well

It was a special wall mostly built to take draco-meteors and set up stealth rock if it could
it had
yawn
stealth rock
surf
ice beam

yawn really messes with people and it was able to do some decent damage

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Firestorm said:
This pretty much covers it. Empoleon is good as a wall, but walls have limited usefulness in the single-player game. Infernape and Torterra are generally much better at dealing straight-up damage.

I tend to stick with Turtwig as it just doesn't seem right for Dawn to not have Piplup or the rival to not have Chimchar.

And I've got four badges down. The team:

Turtwig lv26
Staravia lv27
Bibarel lv26
Shinx lv26
Kricketune lv26
Bronzor lv26

Jiggy

Empoleon gets to switch in for free on every Steel and Ice attack around, the latter of which is always great for protecting your Dragons, and it pretty much takes any Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor/Air Slash/Shadow Ball/Psychic/Surf/Hydro Pump for free also. Then add on that it only takes half-damage from Stealth Rock while getting to ignore Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Sandstorm, and all I can say about Empoleon is that it's one of the few Pokemon I want to breed for that I haven't already.

All that said: yeah, it's kind of lame to use in single-player. I think all the starters this gen are, honestly, but that's fine. In general, it seems to me that the worse a starter is for single-player, the better off it is in competitive play.

Not to mention the fact that Empoleon is perhaps the best Kingdra counter in the game (resisting its STABs obviously helps). And Kingdra is a scary mofo' now that it can learn Outrage.

Sixfortyfive

Jiggy said:
I think all the starters this gen are, honestly, but that's fine.
Pfffft.

STAB Earthquake + Wood Hammer wrecks the shit out of any NPC Poke that doesn't resist them. Infernape is probably even better. I wouldn't know, as I hate monkeys and would never use one for any reason. :D

Jiggy

Empoleon and Torterra are in the same boat where they're both so slow that the gauntlet of enemy trainers that is single-player takes them down methodically but surely. I guess this actually wouldn't be such a downside if I was willing to use things like Full Restore, but I tend to avoid using healing items in RPGs for whatever reason. :p

Sixfortyfive

Jiggy said:
Empoleon and Torterra are in the same boat where they're both so slow that the gauntlet of enemy trainers that is single-player takes them down methodically but surely. I guess this actually wouldn't be such a downside if I was willing to use things like Full Restore, but I tend to avoid using healing items in RPGs for whatever reason. :p
Yes, that is sort of why potions are plentiful and cheap. Though I also make return trips to Pokemon Centers far more often than what I would consider to be sensible.

In my first run through Pearl, I hit the $999999 limit well before the endgame. I'm pretty stingy on cash.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone inform me of major changes between this and Sapphire?

I got clued in on the EV and IV stuff already.

Stuff like more pokemon contests?

Battle tower?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wha? Infernape and Torterra are great in singleplayer, especially considering you can heal through recoil moves! :lol

I guess if you don't use items you'd be limited to just STAB EQing or Close Combating everything to death! :lol

Empoleon is annoying in game. Whole bunch of water moves, whoopdie do. EV it while going through, however, and you get either a decent special attacker or a decent light wall against a lot of attacks, so it's not all bad.

NeoForte

Relicanth! I've loved this pokemon cause I love the fish it's based on. It's a neat little pokemon to mess aorund with. Can be pretty surprisenly strong.

Also I choose Empleon as my start this time :( Eh He's never going into my final team so meh.

CiSTM

Banned
Yay, first badge ! And now I'm at some weird pedo forest with tons of poison pokemons.

My Current team

- Luxio Lv. 20
- Machop Lv. 17
- Geodude Lv. 18
- Dustox Lv. 15
- Prinplup Lv. 20
- Buneary Lv. 13

... I need a fire pokemon :mad:

CiSTM said:
Yay, first badge ! And now I'm at some weird pedo forest with tons of poison pokemons.

My Current team

- Luxio Lv. 20
- Machop Lv. 17
- Geodude Lv. 18
- Dustox Lv. 15
- Prinplup Lv. 20
- Buneary Lv. 13

... I need a fire pokemon :mad:

I would just focus on Geodude there...he should have Magnitude by now which will blow the doors open on grass or poison types. A flyer will also put the hurt on grass or bug types (Dustox should have Gust?) Machop should excel against Bidoof types.

Sixfortyfive

Crazymoogle said:
I would just focus on Geodude there...he should have Magnitude by now which will blow the doors open on grass or poison types. A flyer will also put the hurt on grass or bug types (Dustox should have Gust?) Machop should excel against Bidoof types.
Magnitude doesn't blow the doors off of anything. It's way too unreliable. I also don't think ground moves are particularly effective against grass types. I believe the opposite is true.

Jiggy

I'd probably look a lot more favorably on Infernape if it got Flare Blitz sooner than level 57, but I'm never at that point by the time I've already beaten the game, so I just end up running around with the choice of either low power (Flame Wheel) or low PP (Fire Blast via inexpensive TM).

On a semi-related note to what I was saying about my refusal to use healing items and whatnot earlier, I was buying stuff for the
house
you acquire in the post-game and got this dialogue from Lucas: "Are you collecting
furniture
, too, now? Are you one of those people who can't stand to use Technical Machines? One of those types that end up with a TM collection out of hoarding?" I promptly considered the 11 Dragon Claw TMs, 7 Earthquake TMs, and various other things I have lying around Pearl and thought, well, Lucas, you got me there. :(

Sixfortyfive

Five badges down.

Grotle lv31
Staravia lv31
Bibarel lv31
Shinx lv31
Kricketune lv31
Bronzor lv30

Looks like I'm going to start evolving Shinx at lv33, as he doesn't learn anything worthwhile after that. Actually, he sort of doesn't learn anything worthwhile ever, which is why no sane person would ever use him, but whatever.

EDIT: Being able to avoid getting stuck in the marsh is by far the best change in Plat that I've noticed up to this point.

Sixfortyfive said:
Five badges down.

Grotle lv31
Staravia lv31
Bibarel lv31
Shinx lv31
Kricketune lv31
Bronzor lv30

Looks like I'm going to start evolving Shinx at lv33, as he doesn't learn anything worthwhile after that. Actually, he sort of doesn't learn anything worthwhile ever, which is why no sane person would ever use him, but whatever.

EDIT: Being able to avoid getting stuck in the marsh is by far the best change in Plat that I've noticed up to this point.
Agreed, I actually LIKE going to the Marsh now plus, now that I have the National Dex, I can catch Kanghaskhan, Exeggcute and all the usual Safari Zone Pokemon along with Croagunk, Tropius, Quagsire, etc.

Also, I notice you are still using a Kricketune. Very surprising considering even at high levels they are extremely weak.

EDIT: SHIT, I double posted. FUCK, I meant to edit this into my pervious post. :(

Sixfortyfive

Wii Will Rock U said:
Also, I notice you are still using a Kricketune. Very surprising considering even at high levels they are extremely weak.
I intend to play through the entirety of Plat with a team of 6 Sinnoh-only 'mons that are all found early in the game. No HM slaves on this team, either.

Captain N

I noticed there is still you would put in a house in one of the big shops. Do you get a house to put them in or is it all just a tease?

Teknoman

Sixfortyfive said:
I intend to play through the entirety of Plat with a team of 6 Sinnoh-only 'mons that are all found early in the game. No HM slaves on this team, either.

I think im going to do that to, up until the point where we start having tournaments. Friendly battles, i'll just use what I caught on Platinum. Besides, I might catch some of the same stuff with better natures.

And yeah, Relicanth is cool.

Captain N

I've got two eggs and was wondering if it's random as to if it'll be a male or female. I don't want to keep turning the system off and on if it'll always be a male.

mattso

Captain N said:
I've got two eggs and was wondering if it's random as to if it'll be a male or female. I don't want to keep turning the system off and on if it'll always be a male.
I'm pretty sure once you're given the egg by the daycare people everything is determined about that poke, although I may be wrong.

Depending on the poke there is a certain percent it will be male or female. Some are leaned towards one side.. for instance all starters have something like 87.5% chance to be male.

Ravidrath

Captain N said:

It's randomly determined at the time you get the egg, so saving right before it hatches won't help you.

The chance of it being male or female varies with the species. For most Pokemon, it has even odds of being male or female, but rare Pokemon like starters, Eevees, etc. only have a 1/8 change of being female.

Hatching goes much faster, BTW, if you put a Pokemon with the Flame Body ability in the first spot. Magby/Magmar/Magmortar and Slugma/Magcargo are good options for this.

this guy

I caught this Azelf on my first try:

Azelf Level 52
Naive nature
HP: 27, 28
Atk: 31
Def: 22, 23
SpAtk: 8,9
SpDef: 3, 4
Spd: 30, 31

The Special Attack IV sucks, but I could make it a physical Azelf and surprise my opponents.

Jiggy

Captain N said:
It's random, but gender (along with stats, and nature, and ability, and shiny/non-shiny status) is determined when you say yes to the daycare guy to pick up the egg. So you can save in front of him and pick up the same egg repeatedly to get whatever you want, but once an egg is already in your lineup, it's set.

Captain N

Jiggy said:
It's random, but gender (along with stats, and nature, and ability, and shiny/non-shiny status) is determined when you say yes to the daycare guy to pick up the egg. So you can save in front of him and pick up the same egg repeatedly to get whatever you want, but once an egg is already in your lineup, it's set.

I got the eggs from an online trade..so I imagine they were set in stone when he got them.

Nitsuj23

Hey I just started up my Diamond game again. For some reason I stopped playing when I got to the Elite Four. If anyone has a Bulbasaur or Squirtle egg they could trade me I'd really appreciate it! Also, I've never done any Pokemon breeding, but I have a female Infernape so what would I have to breed that with to get a baby Chimchar? Thanks.

mattso

Nitsuj23 said:
Hey I just started up my Diamond game again. For some reason I stopped playing when I got to the Elite Four. If anyone has a Bulbasaur or Squirtle egg they could trade me I'd really appreciate it! Also, I've never done any Pokemon breeding, but I have a female Infernape so what would I have to breed that with to get a baby Chimchar? Thanks.
anything in its egg group thats male + ditto will be able to breed

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/392.shtml they can be found at the bottom of the page there

If the male knows any moves in the egg moves list there the baby chimchars will know them

Top Bottom