• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

mattso

Firestorm said:
Nope. Most Ice Beams won't kill him actually as a lot of the types that use Ice Beam are defensive water types that can't get past his ridiculous stats. I remember my Milotic had a 0% chance of OHKOing him so I had to use an Expert Belt over leftovers just for that.
doesn't/didn't the recommended milotic build have special attack evs in it just so milotic could ohko 'chomp

harSon

Banned
Looks like I won't be playing Platinum for a while, I was 11-12 hours in and I turned on my DS to find that my save is mysteriously gone. I'm not the kind of person that likes to replay games either so I doubt I get back to it anytime soon....... :(

CiSTM

Banned
God, the game is so slow. Now I remember why I didn't like these games :lol Oh well, I bought it so I might as well try to enjoy it.

Captain N

CiSTM said:
God, the game so slow. Now I remember why I didn't like these games :lol Oh well, I bought it so I might as well try to enjoy it.

it speeds up if you play with battle scenes off and ride around on your bike all the time. Make sure text speed is set to fast as well.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Captain N said:
I had a quick question...

How come the Pokemon I got from Trade don't have numbers?
You don't have the National Dex yet.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Although I'm not participating in this thread much, I sure hope it doesn't become a Garchomp thread. Please.

And we all know the real uber Dragon is;

2021151769_14a1045b16_o.jpg

Balb

For clarification, sand veil is also a big reason why Garchomp is banned. If your ice beam misses the match is probably over.

Jiggy

CiSTM said:
the game is so slow. Now I remember why I didn't like these games :lol
Only this generation. :( It was much faster in GBA days.

Edit: Well, the lack of a run button in R/B/Y and G/S/C sucked too, but that mainly affected indoor areas where the bike couldn't be used.

Captain N

So I can breed Pokemon at the day care if I have a guy and girl staying there at the same time, right? I was just wondering why I had two totally different Pokemon in there and one of them laid three eggs.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Captain N said:
So I can breed Pokemon at the day care if I have a guy and girl staying there at the same time, right? I was just wondering why I had two totally different Pokemon in there and one of them laid three eggs.
If they're in the same "egg group," they can breed.

Goddamn it I can't get a trade going. I'm at the mid-40s, so I feel like at this point I need to get Kadabra evolved or swap him for a new Pokemon. The problem is I can't get on the school WiFi with my DS, and my old DS Phat isn't here. And on top of that, I can't find anybody with a DS that I could borrow to trade it with my old Diamond cart.

So, until I find somebody with a DS I can use or buy a WiFi dongle, I'm screwed. I really don't want to get a new psychic-type. I put a lot of effort into getting my Kadabra (catching an Abra was a pain, and leveling it to 16 with no attacks was a bigger pain) and do like it a lot, so I want to get him evolved and keep him around. It sucks.

Teknoman

Banana Kid said:
Goddamn it I can't get a trade going. I'm at the mid-40s, so I feel like at this point I need to get Kadabra evolved or swap him for a new Pokemon. The problem is I can't get on the school WiFi with my DS, and my old DS Phat isn't here. And on top of that, I can't find anybody with a DS that I could borrow to trade it with my old Diamond cart.

So, until I find somebody with a DS I can use or buy a WiFi dongle, I'm screwed. I really don't want to get a new psychic-type. I put a lot of effort into getting my Kadabra (catching an Abra was a pain, and leveling it to 16 with no attacks was a bigger pain) and do like it a lot, so I want to get him evolved and keep him around. It sucks.

Any McDonalds in your area?

Chozo

mattso said:
doesn't/didn't the recommended milotic build have special attack evs in it just so milotic could ohko 'chomp

You need 266 special attack to guarantee a OHKO on Garchomp with a non-STAB Ice Beam. The problem is that for a lot of Pokemon that could come in on 'chomp getting that required them to go significantly out of their way EV wise to hit that number. And that wasn't taking into account Sand Veil or Yache berry.

Oh well, I'm enjoying abusing Garchomp in the Battle Hall, at least.

Teknoman said:
Any McDonalds in your area?
I could get to one, but the problem is I'd have to go there, log on to get my friend code, post it here, and then go back to McDonalds to do the trade.

Unless there's something new in Platinum for this. Would I be able to communicate with another person not registered as a friend to ask about a back-and-forth?

Even then, I'm not sure I would trust some random other person not to just disconnect and steal my Pokemon.

Captain N

Banana Kid said:
I could get to one, but the problem is I'd have to go there, log on to get my friend code, post it here, and then go back to McDonalds to do the trade.

Unless there's something new in Platinum for this. Would I be able to communicate with another person not registered as a friend to ask about a back-and-forth?

Even then, I'm not sure I would trust some random other person not to just disconnect and steal my Pokemon.

Check your PM

Michan

TenshiOni said:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

The OU (overused) Pokemon, primarily. Though it's not like some UU (underused) and Limbo Pokemon can't shine in the OU metagame.

Just keep in mind that the Uber Pokemon can't be used in the OU metagame (which is what most people play). And OU can not be used in the UU only metagame.

Thank you. So basically, the Uber Pokemon are the tournament banned Pokemon?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm 50 hours in and still stuck at the Elite 4, stupid addictiveness.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Michan said:
Thank you. So basically, the Uber Pokemon are the tournament banned Pokemon?
For the vast majority of tournaments, that's right.

Masked Man

I said wow
larvi said:
Crap, I saw my 1st shiny in platinum, a houndour, but unfortunately it roared before I could catch it.

Bummer. =/ I saw a Shiny Abra a while back, but it Teleported before I could snag it. It's okay, though, because Shiny Alakazam is kind of ugly. :lol

I've traded a couple Shinies, but the ones I still have on-hand are a Shiny Floatzel and a Shiny Gloom. I'm trying to decide on which Shiny I like better, Vileplume or Bellossom. (Of course, the nature isn't ideal for either, but it will just be nice to have.)

larvi said:
Crap, I saw my 1st shiny in platinum, a houndour, but unfortunately it roared before I could catch it.
Oh man thats sucks.

Still to this day, after playing every single Pokemon game I have never seen a shiny Pokemon on my own. Granted I didn't even know what a shiny Pokemon was in G/S or R/S, so I've probably missed a shit load.

Guled

Blu_LED said:
Oh man thats sucks.

Still to this day, after playing every single Pokemon game I have never seen a shiny Pokemon on my own. Granted I didn't even know what a shiny Pokemon was in G/S or R/S, so I've probably missed a shit load.
I think it was silver, but I saw a shiny pokemon at the very start of the game, before you even got pokeballs. I have yet to see a shiny pokemon since

Jiggy

My Japanese Pearl was blessed or something since it gave me a shiny Staraptor, Gastrodon, and Mothim all on its own. From other games I did get a shiny Gyarados (Emerald) and Tentacruel (Leaf Green), though, but having so many from one game... Just odd stuff.

On the other hand, the Staraptor, Gastrodon, and Mothim have rather lame natures and/or stats, whereas my Gyarados came out during IV breeding and is pretty good (though not the best) and my Tentacruel was caught as a wild Tentacool yet still managed to get a Speed+ nature and a 31 Speed IV.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
one time when i first started on my pokemon adventure i saw this shiny bird flying over a lake

Ravidrath

I have a few Shinies, but only one I actively like - Shiny Flygon. Caught it as a shiny black Trapinch when I way playing through the Japanese Ruby... I think it was only the second I'd ever seen, too.

I also have a Shiny Cleffa, Exeggcute, and Bellossom.

...Strangely enough, all but one of those came from Japanese carts. Clearly the Shiny rate is higher in the Japanese carts!

Guled said:
I think it was silver, but I saw a shiny pokemon at the very start of the game, before you even got pokeballs. I have yet to see a shiny pokemon since

You run into a shiny Gyrados, I believe, as a mandatory plot event to introduce the whole concept.

I think the shiny appearance rate for me was roughly 1/100hrs in Pearl, although actually catching one was an entirely different problem - I'm 0/5, with 1 carryover I found in Ruby, as I recall. (Getting hard to remember the full chain of events though, possibly another GBA one I forgot?)

NeoForte

Oh man addicted again....oh man Pokemon! I've had a few shinies from Diamond I got from using the PokeTech method. Though it's a tedious grind to get them....and so easy to fuck up ><

Think my shiny list is Ralts x3, Budew (My First one), Roselia x5, Bronzor, Phanphy, Nosepass x4 and a Ditto.

mattso

I caught a shiny starly in my diamond which I traded and hatched a shiny bulbasaur while breeding which I've been using for my platinum playthrough

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I put 300+ hours into DP and I never noticed this. I don't even know what you guys are talking about now... I'm going to have to get my DS and load it up to see.

FAIL

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Michan said:
Is there an easy way to tell what the Pokemon's IVs are when they hatch from an egg?
I use this with Rare Candies until it gives me a definitive answer. Then write down the Pokemon's infoz, reset, and move on to the next.

Michan

Cocopjojo said:
I use this with Rare Candies until it gives me a definitive answer. Then write down the Pokemon's infoz, reset, and move on to the next.
...Is there an easy way to acquire Rare Candies? ;-;

Blizzard

Banned
Captain N said:
I'd like to know this too! I like me some rare candies.

Well back in the day, people just cloned millions of rare candies. Nowadays such cheating is frowned upon, and you just use one of the DS devices to hack yourself a few hundred.

(there are few rare candies ingame...instead of using them, just fight a million random battles)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Michan said:
...Is there an easy way to acquire Rare Candies? ;-;
Not in DP that I'm aware of. I have a bunch that I cloned using the Emerald trick that I moved over to DP to use for this purpose.

Captain N

is a Shiny Pokemon just for looks?

I also was wondering..how does a site like serebii get the actual sprites of all the Pokemon?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Captain N said:

I also was wondering..how does a site like serebii get the actual sprites of all the Pokemon?
I'm sure they have cart readers and just dump all of the data and then pick it apart.

NeoForte

Captain N said:

Yea they sparkle when they come out and have a different color. Other than that they are just like normal pokemon.

Top Bottom