• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Giard

I can't remember....does the Pokerus mutliplier apply itself after the Power items bonus or before?

(1 + 4) x 2
or
1 x 2 + 4
?

this guy

How does EV distribution work if you have the Pokemon you're EV training hold Exp. Share while a higher level Pokemon does all the battling?

Giard said:
I can't remember....does the Pokerus mutliplier apply itself after the Power items bonus or before?

(1 + 4) x 2
or
1 x 2 + 4
?

Doubling is applied after the +4 modifier.

this guy said:
How does EV distribution work if you have the Pokemon you're EV training hold Exp. Share while a higher level Pokemon does all the battling?

Pokemon holding Exp Shares also get the EVs. Obviously, they don't get any bonus for EV items held by the higher level Pokemon though.

Giard

this guy said:
IIRC, the pokemon both get the EVs, not divided in any kind of way.

Thanks to the poster above!

Masked Man

I said wow
Jiggy said:
So, I was about 75% through with collecting data on the teams of every trainer in the game before it occurred to me that someone else has probably already done it. But nonetheless, I've already collected my info anyway and might as well share it. So here's everything you should ever want to know about the enemy trainers you can have rematches with.

:O

This is FABULOUS. I love you, Jiggy. <33

PusherT

Say you fight a Graveler who give you an EV of +2 defense. If you have the item "Power belt" you then get 2+4 (PB bonus) or 6. Remember you need a total of 4/4 EV to equal one stat increase so with that 6 EV of defense you are 6/4= 1.5 Defense increase. Add in Pokerus and you would then double that 6. 6x2= 12/4= 3 defensive increases with a Pokerus + Power Belt+ Graveler (Iron Island).

Jiggy

Random helpful tools, since some questions just came up in IRC:

IV calculator by MetalKid - If you can, please just download the offline version of his program so that we don't wind up crashing this thing with the power of GAF traffic. :p

IV breeding probabilities - Find out how likely it is that your Pokemon's eggs will inherit a given stat from its parents. Emerald has the same odds as D/P/P; don't use the Ruby/Sapphire calculator.)

Defense calculator - If you're making a defensive Pokemon or just have some EVs to spare, and you want to know how to balance your points between HP, Defense, and Special Defense, then use this to find out. It only analyzes individual Pokemon, though, so don't let it do all the work. For example, if four members of your team have issues with physical attackers, then it's probably best to take steps to prevent that by making a physical wall Dusknoir/Spiritomb/Cresselia/Uxie/Bronzong/Suicune/whatever instead of aiming for balanced stats that only favor the individual.

Firestorm

Jiggy said:
So, I was about 75% through with collecting data on the teams of every trainer in the game before it occurred to me that someone else has probably already done it. But nonetheless, I've already collected my info anyway and might as well share it. So here's everything you should ever want to know about the enemy trainers you can have rematches with.

Note: These are the trainers' upgraded teams. Some trainers will not level up their teams this far until you've hit the triggers that will allow them to, such as beating the Elite 4, obtaining the National Dex, and catching Heatran. If you haven't done those things, then be sure to check how far the trainers will go on your own copy of the game before blindly jumping in with Pokemon you really want to train and risking the possibility of needing berries to reverse your mistake.

Short Attention Span Version (AKA where to go and who to fight)

• HP: Route 213. Tuber M Jared gives 6 EVs, and Tuber F Chelsea is right next to him and gives 3.
  • Attack: Route 203 for 8 EVs from Youngster Dallas if you don't mind switching out of Golem. Otherwise, go to Cycling Road for 6 Attack from Cyclist John.
  • Defense: Route 207 or 228. Hiker Kevin and PKMN Ranger F Krista each give 4 EVs.
  • Special Attack: Rainy Route 212's Scientist Shaun nets 5 EVs. If you don't mind needing a switch out of Lickilicky, Route 215's Ace Trainer F Maya grants 6 EVs.
  • Special Defense: Beauty Devon, Route 214, 6 EVs.
  • Speed: On the west side of Route 211, Ninja Boy Zach for 8.
  • Money: Route 212. Gentleman Jeremy or Socialite Reina for 24,400 each.

[sic]
By somebody else, do you mean you? You're the one who wrote the guide on where to EV train in DP in the first place. It's the one that was copy+pasted everywhere.

Jiggy

Well, I'm assuming somebody else did it for Platinum since the fact that I did it for Diamond/Pearl could have led people to want a similar guide for Japanese Platinum, and then make their own with that version months before I just got around to it yesterday and today.

I could be wrong, though.

Edit: Went back and stuck some bolding all over the Long Attention Span Version to call--well--attention to the route and number of EVs specifically.

I always get halfway through a Pokemon game and then just lose interest entirely. Things like unclear objectives on where to go next and having to keep "HM Slaves" really stinks up the games.

After the inevitable Gold/Silver remake, I'd really like to see the series shaken up a hell of a lot. Its also ridiculous we've never seen a genuine console effort.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear of me. I just remember getting stuck in Emerald on not knowing where to go next and ended up circling the ocean for hours until I went back to some building to trigger an event that would unblock a route. Its annoying archaic rpg gameplay. I'd like it to be fully open ended so I could tackle any gym at a certain point, not be forced down the same route all the time.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SecretBonusPoint said:
Sorry, that wasn't very clear of me. I just remember getting stuck in Emerald on not knowing where to go next and ended up circling the ocean for hours until I went back to some building to trigger an event that would unblock a route. Its annoying archaic rpg gameplay. I'd like it to be fully open ended so I could tackle any gym at a certain point, not be forced down the same route all the time.
There's alot I dislike about Diamond but it doesn't suffer through the idiotic ocean maze that Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald did. Also, while I and probably everyone else agree that the series needs to be shaken up badly, I don't think making the gyms open-ended is the answer. How would that even work since you are constantly gaining levels? It would destroy the difficulty curve worse than it did in Prince of Persia (360)!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
grandjedi6 said:
There's alot I dislike about Diamond but it doesn't suffer through the idiotic ocean maze that Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald did. Also, while I and probably everyone else agree that the series needs to be shaken up badly, I don't think making the gyms open-ended is the answer. How would that even work since you are constantly gaining levels? It would destroy the difficulty curve worse than it did in Prince of Persia (360)!
Well, it's not like they couldn't make it so that the first gym you clear always has low levels or under-evolved dudes, and the last one always has better ones. Heck, I think I went through all of RBY once without fighting Lt Surge until I got stopped by the guard on Victory Road and was all WTF?

But yeah, even though I often find Pokemon to be more addictive than fun, making the single-player less linear would probably be near the very bottom of the list of changes that the series really needs.

I find this baffling, but when depositing Pokemon in Box's at the center, do you really have to keep coming out of the menu and back in depending on whether you want to deposit or withdraw? Because that is frustratingly stupid. Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time..

Sixfortyfive

SecretBonusPoint said:
I find this baffling, but when depositing Pokemon in Box's at the center, do you really have to keep coming out of the menu and back in depending on whether you want to deposit or withdraw? Because that is frustratingly stupid. Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time..
You are, in fact, doing it wrong. Choose "Move Pokemon."

I don't know why they keep the Deposit/Withdraw options around either.

oneHeero

Does anyone know where I can find a list of pokemon I cannot obtain in Platinum? I dont have any of the previous games nor do I have access to any.

How many pokemon do I lose out on? How the heck do I get a national pokedex?

oneHeero said:
Does anyone know where I can find a list of pokemon I cannot obtain in Platinum? I dont have any of the previous games nor do I have access to any.

How many pokemon do I lose out on? How the heck do I get a national pokedex?

If you don't trade with anybody (either locally, here, or using the easy GTS), then this is the list of pokemon you won't have access to. Not sure if it discounts the GBA-cart method.

You earn the Nationaldex by seeing (not owning necessarily) all 210 Pokemon in the regular campaign and then beating the Elite 4. Go talk to Prof. Rowan for the upgrade.

colinp

Banned
Does the global trade thing ever get goofy and refuse to trade? I have the damn pokemon this person is asking for but it won't let me select it. WHY DO YOU CURSE ME SO?!

Crazymoogle said:
You earn the Nationaldex by seeing (not owning necessarily) all 210 Pokemon in the regular campaign and then beating the Elite 4. Go talk to Prof. Rowan for the upgrade.
Not necessarily in that order, I might add. Also, it's entirely possible (and extremely easy) to get all 210 Pokedex entries without having to go online or link up or whatever. Use an FAQ to fill in your missing holes (it ended up being Wooper for me).

oneHeero

Crazymoogle said:
If you don't trade with anybody (either locally, here, or using the easy GTS), then this is the list of pokemon you won't have access to. Not sure if it discounts the GBA-cart method.

Would anyone mind copy and pasting the pokemon list here? I'm at work but would really like to go over this stuff since I'm so bored. The site is blocked.

Captain N

oneHeero said:
Would anyone mind copy and pasting the pokemon list here? I'm at work but would really like to go over this stuff since I'm so bored. The site is blocked.

#001 Bulbasaur
#002 Ivysaur
#003 Venusaur
#004 Charmander
#005 Charmeleon
#006 Charizard
#007 Squirtle
#008 Wartortle
#009 Blastoise
#150 Mewtwo
#151 Mew
#152 Chikorita
#153 Bayleef
#154 Meganium
#155 Cyndaquil
#156 Quilava
#157 Typhlosion
#158 Totodile
#159 Croconaw
#160 Feraligatr
#198 Murkrow
#200 Misdreavus
#243 Raikou
#244 Entei
#245 Suicune
#249 Lugia
#250 Ho-oh
#251 Celebi
#252 Treecko
#253 Grovyle
#254 Sceptile
#255 Torchic
#256 Combusken
#257 Blaziken
#258 Mudkip
#259 Marshtomp
#260 Swampert
#328 Trapinch
#329 Vibrava
#330 Flygon
#366 Clamperl
#367 Huntail
#368 Gorebyss
#380 Latias
#381 Latios
#382 Kyogre
#383 Groudon
#384 Rayquaza
#385 Jirachi
#386 Deoxys
#429 Mismagius
#430 Honchkrow
#431 Glameow
#432 Purugly
#434 Stunky
#435 Skuntank

Sixfortyfive

Six badges down. The team:

Torterra lv38
Staraptor lv38
Bibarel lv38
Luxray lv38
Kricketune lv38
Bronzong lv38

Things are coming together quite nicely. Not even Kricketune is the dead weight I expected him to be. At least he learns Slash and Night Slash in Plat.

And I'm really not looking forward to trading over all the stuff I had on my Pearl cart... I used up almost the entire set of PC boxes, and I probably have enough desirable items on that cart to justify transferring over every single 'mon. That's going to take an evening all in itself.

If there's one thing Pokemon excels at, it's making even the most rudimentary tasks into an infuriating grind.

Jiggy

I usually don't like open-ended worlds, but in a few cases like Final Fantasy VI or Dragon Quest IV it's worked out for me, and I do think it could be cool to see in Pokemon. They'd need to apply some kind of level balancing system to keep the enemy trainers and especially the gym leaders ahead depending on what you'd already cleared, though. Maybe the first and final gym leaders could be done in a fixed order and then the others in any order, or something like that. Whatever the case, it does seem odd to me that a single series can give so much freedom for choosing a team, yet so much restriction about where to go and when.

...I don't know if I'd want that kind of change in a mainline game, though. I mean, I've played through every mainline Pokemon region except Johto at least five times, so obviously I for one could benefit from having things mixed up on different playthroughs, but honestly, I'm okay with the linearity and I don't mind needing to talk to everybody. Actually, it's a lot better in Pokemon than most RPGs because so many dozens of NPCs give you free TMs, hold items, useable items, berries, Poke Balls, and other cool stuff that there's no reason not to talk to everybody.

And I don't see how the game's unclear, either. When playing through Diamond and Pearl in Japanese, without knowing Japanese, the only thing I couldn't figure out how to trigger without consulting a guide was the part where you chase a Team Galactic grunt--I had figured he'd run away and disappeared entirely--and that part is very, very clear in English. All other problems were solved just by virtue of exploring everything and bringing up everybody's text boxes (despite not understanding them).

Sixfortyfive said:
And I'm really not looking forward to trading over all the stuff I had on my Pearl cart... I used up almost the entire set of PC boxes, and I probably have enough desirable items on that cart to justify transferring over every single 'mon. That's going to take an evening all in itself.

If there's one thing Pokemon excels at, it's making even the most rudimentary tasks into an infuriating grind.
It was amazingly easy to transfer hundreds of Pokemon from one game to another with Pokemon Box. And Pokemon Stadium 2. And Pokemon Stadium 1. But oh no--My Pokemon Ranch can't let you do what its predecessors did. :/ No easy transfers for you!

...Nintendo should be ashamed.

Edit: Speaking of My Pokemon Ranch, I just checked and it hasn't been updated to recognize Platinum yet. It's actually kind of unintentionally hilarious--you get to hit the Connect to Wii option, but then it tells you "Diamond and Pearl only" and shuts the DS off.

Sixfortyfive

Jiggy said:
And I don't see how the game's unclear, either.
It isn't, unless you happen to put the game down for a few weeks only to come back and be at a loss as to what you were doing, so I could see how it could be frustrating. The Journal isn't always helpful.

Captain N said:
Does anyone know if this game will work online with the DSi?
Of course it will.

P.S. everyone, I just caught an Electrike because there was a swarm at the Valley Windworks and I am currently on Stark Mountain looking for two of my all-time favorite Pokemon: Torkoal and Skarmory.

Teknoman

Kinda off-topic, but do you REALLY have to fully charge a new portable system during its first use, or can you just play it while charging? The last few chargeable portables i've gone through suggested a full charge before turning it on for the first time...but im not sure if thats really necessary.

Teknoman said:
Kinda off-topic, but do you REALLY have to fully charge a new portable system during its first use, or can you just play it while charging? The last few chargeable portables i've gone through suggested a full charge before turning it on for the first time...but im not sure if thats really necessary.

Suggestion, not a requirement. A full drain and recharge makes the battery calibration system have a much easier time of telling exactly how much life you have left (and not prematurely give you low battery warning signs) but this isn't the old days of nickel cadmium.

I try to find some time to do a full drain once in awhile, but it's not going to hurt your battery not to.

this guy

Going back to changes in future Pokemon games, I think that HMs need a retuning. I think that a good way to get rid of HM slaves would be to have HMs be usable only outside of a battle by default.

They would still be listed in blue in the menu, but they would no longer take up one of a Pokemon's four move slots. The player could be given an option to teach a Pokemon an HM for use outside of battle only, or both inside and outside of battles.

Surf and Waterfall are good moves in battle, but the rest range from mediocre to bad. It's irritating to have to carry Pokemon around that you don't want or have room for because they can learn these useful, yet useless moves.

colinp said:
That's possible even though none of my pokeymans are near lvl 50?

The game levels up your Pokemon to lv50 temporarily. The only difference between yours and a normal level 50 would be EV points and whatever moves you might have learned.

this guy

Are there any requirements needed to see special Pokemon with a GBA game inserted? I'm EV training in the Old Chateau and have yet to see a Gengar, or even a Haunter for that matter.

EDIT: I forgot vitamins gave EVs! goddamit

Teknoman

Little Green Yoda said:
I'm guessing they never "fixed" the lack of auto-level up in local wireless matches for Platinum?

Someone should check that out. That was one of my main D/P complaints. Anyway, I guess level 50 set for friendly and 100 set for tournaments would work best.

Captain N

I just played for a total of an hour and a half earlier and went to go play it again now and I forgot to save it last time before I turned it off!

this guy said:
Are there any requirements needed to see special Pokemon with a GBA game inserted? I'm EV training in the Old Chateau and have yet to see a Gengar, or even a Haunter for that matter.

I think it might only work after you beat the game and get the Nationaldex? Not sure though.

this guy

Crazymoogle said:
I think it might only work after you beat the game and get the Nationaldex? Not sure though.
Yeah I did some searching and you need the National Dex, which I have. I must just be having bad luck. A 4% appearance rate isn't that low....

this guy said:
Yeah I did some searching and you need the National Dex, which I have. I must just be having bad luck. A 4% appearance rate isn't that low....

The only other thing I'd say is to make sure you put in the cartridge when the power was off?

Teknoman

Captain N said:
I just played for a total of an hour and a half earlier and went to go play it again now and I forgot to save it last time before I turned it off!

Always save every few minutes I say.

Top Bottom