• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

PusherT

Cought my first shiny in Pkm Ruby it was a wingul, now it a shiny Pelipar I think I spent close 220 hrs on that game. On my pearl my only shiny to this day is a shiny aridos 389 hr still going

Firestorm

Captain N said:
I imagine it shows off who is a true trainer. I hope to see some of you with Shiny Pokemon soon!
More like it shows off who's a script kiddie with an action replay. Gotta love kids with six shiny Pokemon saying "no they're legit. i traded for them and they said they're legit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Firestorm said:
More like it shows off who's a script kiddie with an action replay. Gotta love kids with six shiny Pokemon saying "no they're legit. i traded for them and they said they're legit.

Haha, I remember some kid way back in the gold/silver days trying to convince me his Legendary dogs, Ho-oh, and Lugia were all legit. :lol

Only one I've ever found was a ponyta with a meh nature and bad IVs in Diamond. Blue fire looked cool, tho.

Jiggy

Michan said:
...Is there an easy way to acquire Rare Candies? ;-;
I don't know about easy per se, but Pickup Pokemon who are level 41 and up have a 10% chance (I think it's 10%) that the item they pick up will be a Rare Candy.

Just get ten or so Rare Candies that way, and don't use any of the ones that the game gives you as items lying around, and you'll probably be good with a lot of Pokemon you'd want to check. They start out at level 1, so in a worst-case scenario you just take them around and have them share experience from a single enemy trainer who has some level 58+ Pokemon who'll kick it up 10-14 levels in one battle.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
3 badges down. The team:

Turtwig lv22
Staravia lv22
Bibarel lv22
Shinx lv22
Kricketune lv22
Bronzor lv22

Woo, even building. Not sure if postponing evolution for Turtwig or Shinx is really worth it, but they can still hold their own for the most part.

Almost a week and only 3 badges? I'm really dragging my feet.

Captain N

I'm having a hard time with badge number 5. My main is fire and I can't seem to beat them with anyone else. I just got a Pikachu and plan on getting it up to a level 40.

I got a few Pikachus and am breeding them if anyone wants an egg let me know.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I thought I heard there was a easy way to migrate your pokemon over from D/P. How do you do that, or was it just a rumor?

Captain N said:
I'm having a hard time with badge number 5. My main is fire and I can't seem to beat them with anyone else. I just got a Pikachu and plan on getting it up to a level 40.
You didn't catch a Shinx in the beginning of the game? If you would have raised a Shinx up until this point (he would've evolved twice already into Luxio and then Luxray), the water gym would've been no problem for you at all.
Sixfortyfive said:
Woo, even building. Not sure if postponing evolution for Turtwig or Shinx is really worth it, but they can still hold their own for the most part.
Turtwig it doesn't really matter but Shinx you should evolve ASAP. He reaches his 3rd form at level 30 so evolve him at lv. 29 into Luxio and then at level 30 Luxio will evolve to Luxray giving you a powerhouse very early in the game. That's what happened in my game.

Teknoman

DrForester said:
So I thought I heard there was a easy way to migrate your pokemon over from D/P. How do you do that, or was it just a rumor?

We want an easy way (some kinda Wii channel or DSi app) but for now, its just find another local DS and trade with it. Either that or find someone who is willing to help you out online.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Teknoman said:
We want an easy way (some kinda Wii channel or DSi app) but for now, its just find another local DS and trade with it. Either that or find someone who is willing to help you out online.

yeah Im doing a trade so I have a fresh start in Platinum right now...

My starter party...

Riolu, Pikachu, Mew (thank you toys r us event 3 years ago), Bulbasaur, and Cyndaquil

DrForester said:
yeah Im doing a trade so I have a fresh start in Platinum right now...My starter party...Riolu, Pikachu, Mew (thank you toys r us event 3 years ago), Bulbasaur, and Cyndaquil

If you start the game with Mew you will ruin the experience for yourself.

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
You didn't catch a Shinx in the beginning of the game? If you would have raised a Shinx up until this point (he would've evolved twice already into Luxio and then Luxray), the water gym would've been no problem for you at all.

Turtwig it doesn't really matter but Shinx you should evolve ASAP. He reaches his 3rd form at level 30 so evolve him at lv. 29 into Luxio and then at level 30 Luxio will evolve to Luxray giving you a powerhouse very early in the game. That's what happened in my game.

I totally forgot I had a Luxray on my PC. I beat all three of them very easily.

Ravidrath

shykyoichi said:
Make Mew your HM Slave. He's perfect for that role.

God, that is such a waste of a Mew...

Earlier in the thread, I figured out the only ways to get all 8 moves on two Pokemon, without using Mews.

Skarmory
Fly
Defog
Cut
Rock Smash

Poliwrath / Blastoise / Feraligator / Swampert / Bibarel
Surf
Waterfall
Strength
Rock Climb

Jiggy

mattso said:
just got to the maid challenge for the first time yesterday. stupid endure clefairys:lol
I love that thing. And although it didn't affect my battles, what would be really genius is if they gave them Magic Guard to prevent residual damage from breaking through the Endure.

It reminds me of Battle CDs in Pokemon XD, which were the very best part of that game in that they established various offbeat battle situations that a person wouldn't ordinarily have to face but could really demonstrate the diversity of the battle system.

larvi

mattso said:
just got to the maid challenge for the first time yesterday. stupid endure clefairys:lol

Yeah, same here. I would have made the challenge in 9 turns but the last one got endure to work twice in a row. A sandstream or snow warning pokemon would make the challenge easy though.

Jiggy

larvi said:
Yeah, same here. I would have made the challenge in 9 turns but the last one got endure to work twice in a row. A sandstorm or snow warning pokemon would make the challenge easy though.
Not if they had Magic Guard. ;)

I don't know if they did, though.

larvi

Jiggy said:
Not if they had Magic Guard. ;)

I don't know if they did, though.

Ah true, I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet they probably do then. I may have to transfer my ttar over from diamond to find out. Is it the same challenge everyday or does it change? And yes, it is like the battle discs in XD, I really liked those too.

Is there a pokemon that learns imprison and endure? That might be another way to beat it but you would need to have a least one that doesn't use endure on the 1st turn and you can kill in 1 round.

Okay, I'm setting out today to go to a McDonalds or somewhere that I can use the WiFi from. Anyone going to be on and able to trade?

Thankfully, I can get to NeoGAF on my phone, so I can PM my friend code once I get there. Just need a volunteer to help me out.

Captain N

Banana Kid said:
Okay, I'm setting out today to go to a McDonalds or somewhere that I can use the WiFi from. Anyone going to be on and able to trade?

Thankfully, I can get to NeoGAF on my phone, so I can PM my friend code once I get there. Just need a volunteer to help me out.

Feel free to text message me and I'll sign on and trade with you.

Dubble

So I have not played Pokemon since Gold/Silver and picked this up sometime last week because of several friends pressing me to snatch it. Good gravy I am in love with this game.

I remember things in relation to Pokemon games being so simple. Considering I skipped an entire generation and a half this is all a huge leap from the simple black and white pokemon I was used to as a kid. When did the stats and movesets get so freaking intricate and involved. It's almost overwhelming how much versatility the game has.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ravidrath said:
God, that is such a waste of a Mew...

Earlier in the thread, I figured out the only ways to get all 8 moves on two Pokemon, without using Mews.

Skarmory
Fly
Defog
Cut
Rock Smash

Poliwrath / Blastoise / Feraligator / Swampert / Bibarel
Surf
Waterfall
Strength
Rock Climb
Tropius can learn all the HMs Skarmory can, and you don't have to waste an awesome pokemon to do it.

I'm looking for a Spheal, or, preferably, a Sealeo. Any nature/IVs/EVs would be fine since I'm breeding it anyway.

Found where I can ge them~

I'll ask again just to see if anyone is willing:

Can someone trade me a low level or egg Charmander and Chikorita? I can only offer a Shellos and Kricketot, but you'd be helping a fan of the old school Pokemon games out. :D

Thanks to Captain N for helping me evolve Kadabra. Now that everyone's evolved, I'm just doing a little more grinding before I go take on the Elite Four.

Kawaii

BrandNew said:
I'll ask again just to see if anyone is willing:

Can someone trade me a low level or egg Charmander and Chikorita? I can only offer a Shellos and Kricketot, but you'd be helping a fan of the old school Pokemon games out. :D
Gimme a few minutes so ill get you the eggs, FC: 1761 9250 6043

edit: Done,, ill wait for you.

E2:

Eh you can trade from diamond/pearl to platinum right? 'Cause this is my Diamond FC.

Captain N

Halycon said:
Tropius can learn all the HMs Skarmory can, and you don't have to waste an awesome pokemon to do it.

I'm looking for a Spheal, or, preferably, a Sealeo. Any nature/IVs/EVs would be fine since I'm breeding it anyway.
I've got a male Sealeo if you send me 2 eggs!

Kawaii

Captain N said:
Any chance I could one of each of those as well?
Yeah sure, i'll get you one of each, give me a few minutes.

My FC is above, what's yours?

Allright done,, ill go online as soon as i have your FC.

Kawaii said:
Gimme a few minutes so ill get you the eggs, FC: 1761 9250 6043

edit: Done,, ill wait for you.

E2:

Eh you can trade from diamond/pearl to platinum right? 'Cause this is my Diamond FC.

Hey sorry, I was fooling around with my turntable. I really appreciate it. My FC is: 1376 3099 7692. I'll be waitin' for ya.

mjc

So I take it that Diamond has most of the original 151 sans the starting three, legendaries, and mew right?

this guy

I figured I'd post and say that I got this game two days ago and am really enjoying it so far. I traded in my copy of Diamond pretty soon after I got it because I got sick of it so quickly. I had followed the game way too closely, and I sped through the single player so that I could transfer my Pokemon from the GBA games.

I hadn't followed Platinum at all, so this game feels almost as fresh as Diamond did, despite being so similar. And though I've been blasting through the game (I'm about to face the 8th gym leader), it's not because I'm racing to finish, but because I've just been playing the game so much!

I'm looking forward to beating the Elite Four, and then training a competitive team.

colinp

Banned
Picked up Platinum and am going through the intro right now. Satoshi and Shigeru are rivals once again! :lol

Damn these games are so charming. Think I'm going to start with chimchar this time around. Any reason not to?

mattso

colinp said:
Picked up Platinum and am going through the intro right now. Satoshi and Shigeru are rivals once again! :lol

Damn these games are so charming. Think I'm going to start with chimchar this time around. Any reason not to?
nope. Arguably the best choice because of the lack of good fire types available until you get the national dex

colinp said:

Very soon into the game, you'll encounter a Machop and Ponyta. In Diamond, I they made my Chimchar a second-stringer. I would go with Turtwig or Piplup. Personally I would with Turtwig because you'll encounter a Psyduck which is a good enough water-type.

Just beat the Elite Four! My in-game team that I beat them with (on the first try mind you):

Tropius Lv. 49
Walrein Lv. 48
Mamoswine Lv. 48
Luxray Lv. 50
Giratina Lv. 50
Infernape Lv. 51

Time to transfer my Ruby Pokemon into Pal Park and start with the Battle Frontier!

EDIT: CRAP! My Import Platinum won't read my English Ruby version. :(

colinp

Banned
Ah jeez, conflict already! I went with chimchar.. No worries, not sure I really like turtwig as a character anyway. Appreciate the advice though GrayGhost.

mattso

TheGrayGhost said:
Very soon into the game, you'll encounter a Machop and Ponyta. In Diamond, I they made my Chimchar a second-stringer. I would go with Turtwig or Piplup. Personally I would with Turtwig because you'll encounter a Psyduck which is a good enough water-type.
machop and ponyta can't really play the same role as chim can though

speedwise he'll beat chop and I'm pretty sure he will ponyta but I haven't looked it up so I may be wrong

He is better at being able to mix up between physical/special attacking which is pretty good for the main game and he gets a pretty awesome list of moves to choose from that chop/ponyta can't really match without breeding

WOAH. I just found one of these while surfing. WTF.

369Relicanth.png

It's a Water-Rock Type that doesn't take recoil damage and when I looked in the guide it says it's a Pokemon named Relicanth from Ruby and Sapphire (Though I had Ruby and never remember this guy).

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
WOAH. I just found one of these while surfing. WTF.

369Relicanth.png

It's a Water-Rock Type that doesn't take recoil damage and when I looked in the guide it says it's a Pokemon named Relicanth from Ruby and Sapphire (Though I had Ruby and never remember this guy).

Did you catch it and where were you surfing when you ran into it?

Top Bottom