• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Jiggy said:
And XD went one step further and granted completely exclusive moves.
I don't know. That's not something I'm real fond of.

I remember training a Snorlax from scratch on D/P with the intent of teaching it Selfdestruct/Explosion (forget which), only to find out after I started that he only learns it from one of the Gamecube games. Lame.

larvi

Little Green Yoda said:
Wait, what does its release date have to do with it being "about as fast as Emerald duping"? :lol

I also don't understand the multiple copies thing some people have when it comes to Pokemon games. 1 of each version is somewhat understandable but 2 Emeralds? 2 Pearls? Professional help might not be a bad idea. :lol

I guess you better put me in that category then. I have 2 emeralds, the 2nd I bought specifically for the JAA tournament in the event they took my cart. I didn't want to chance loosing everything else on my good copy of emerald. I also have 2 Diamonds but only 1 Pearl and 1 plat (so far).

As for duping, I never saw the need. I have enough master balls just from all of the play throughs that I did on all of the various games, although I did use the glitch in Colesseum that allowed you to throw a master ball without using it up.

Smogon has spoiled me too much. :lol I was fighting the rival on the way to Solaceon, and it was just driving me nuts that his starter was Staravia with a moveset of Double Team, Wing Attack, Endeavor and Quick Attack. It's a textbook banned move system:

1. Double-team up 2-3 times.
2. Use Endeavor to drop their HP to match yours (presumably Double Team left you open!)
3. Quick Attack to knock them out while they struggle to hit you.

The only real way to overcome this situation is to get lucky with super-effective moves, or have a substantial level advantage. And then hope you didn't take enough team damage for Monferno. It's clever design, although not entirely fair.

Sixfortyfive

He opens with 2 Double Teams every time. It's infuriating. I just want to yell "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!"

Pokemon is the only game in which I've ever come close to all-out ragequitting.

Jiggy

Crazymoogle said:
Smogon has spoiled me too much. :lol I was fighting the rival on the way to Solaceon, and it was just driving me nuts that his starter was Staravia with a moveset of Double Team, Wing Attack, Endeavor and Quick Attack. It's a textbook banned move system:

2. Use Endeavor to drop their HP to match yours (presumably Double Team left you open!)
At least they gave it to Staravia and its awful defenses, instead of his later Snorlax. Though that Snorlax is still a pain anyway. :(

On the bright side, that very Staravia moveset is rather common in level 50 Battle Factory and pays ridiculous dividends--even without using Double Team, which I don't.

Captain N

What is it that allows some Pokemon to attack with two moves in one round? They can also use an item Plus attack in the same round as well.

Jiggy

Captain N said:
What is it that allows some Pokemon to attack with two moves in one round? They can also use an item Plus attack in the same round as well.
That can't happen, so I'm not sure what you've been seeing... But it might have been one of these possibilities:

1) Some moves hit multiple times with a low base damage for each individual hit, like Fury Attack, Fury Swipes, Double Kick, Triple Kick, Bullet Seed, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast (I think it was Rock Blast), and Comet Punch. Generally these attacks are much weaker than a single strong-hit counterpart, but on rare occasion one might find a use for them in breaking through Substitutes. (And I mean very, very rare occasion.)

2) Some moves hit a low base damage on their first hit, but then deal a fixed percentage of damage for the next several turns and prevent the target from switching for either as long as they last, or until the Pokemon who used the move switches out itself. Examples include Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb, and Bind, which sap 1/16th of your HP for two to five turns. During that time, the Pokemon who used the trapping move can use other moves.

3) Focus Punch. Text will indicate that it's charging at the beginning of the turn, and if the Pokemon using the move gets through the turn without taking damage from a direct attack, then Focus Punch will be used at the end of the turn. It's only one move, but the text may be confusing.

4) Leech Seed. It saps 1/8th of the target's HP every turn, and gives that HP to the side who used Leech Seed, until the targeted Pokemon switches out or uses Rapid Spin. Like Fire Spin/Whirlpool/etc., this move is designed to accumulate slow residual damage instead of getting in a strong single hit. Unlike Fire Spin/Whirlpool/etc., Leech Seed is not only not an awful move, but one of the most helpful moves in the game. Many Pokemon who would otherwise counter Grass-types don't like risking the chance of losing HP and healing the opponent.

I'm going to give an example of Leech Seed not because you asked for it, but because here we have a move that actually merits discussion. It'll be a simplified example since things like Wish and Spikes and Pain Split and Sandstorm change things around, but it'll do. Let's look at three possibilities:

1) An Adamant Heracross with no training in Special Defense, carrying Choice Scarf, switches in and eats damage from a Timid Roserade's Leaf Storm. This does 38-45% damage to Heracross, quite a lot for a "not very effective" attack. (Leaf Storm is the strongest Grass attack in the game, and Roserade has one of the game's best Special Attack stats.) Heracross uses Megahorn because that would OHKO a Roserade with no Defense, but the Roserade user switches to Dusknoir, who takes 21-24% from Megahorn.

In this example, the player with Roserade and Dusknoir has, at best, sacrificed 21% of one Pokemon's HP in order to take out 45% of an enemy's HP. At worst, the player gave up 24% to take out 38%.

2) The same Heracross switches in on the same Roserade, except that Roserade uses Leech Seed. This does 12.5% damage to Heracross, which will be about 37 HP. Roserade is healed by up to 37 HP, which on Roserade's end is actually more than 12.5% due to her lower HP stat; it's about 14.2%. The Roserade player switches out and brings in Dusknoir, who again takes 21-24% from Megahorn. Heracross loses another 37 HP, and since Dusknoir is probably using max HP, it should have a similar but slightly lower HP stat, and will recover about 12.6%.

In this scenario, the player with Roserade and Dusknoir has done 25% damage to Heracross. At absolute worst, the player has taken 11.4% damage in order to accomplish that. At best, the player took 8.4% damage on Dusknoir's end, but recovered as much as 14.2% on Roserade's end, for a net gain.

3) See the above example, except that the Heracross player switches out immediately after being hit with Leech Seed. This isn't necessarily an uncommon move; the Heracross player might only have brought Heracross in so that the opponent would switch in a wall, which would provide valuable knowledge about what the opponent's team consisted of. ("Ah, I see. So if I just get rid of Dusknoir at some point, then Heracross should have more free reign.")

In this scenario, Leech Seed has done 12.5% damage to Heracross (for the turn it was used). At worst, the player just did 12.5% damage and took none. At best, the player did 12.5% damage and healed 14.2% HP. Whether things will turn out good or bad for the Roserade player beyond that point is unknown; it depends on whether the Heracross player's switch-in can take Dusknoir.

this guy

Would anyone be willing to trade me a Life Orb? I want one for my Gengar, but I don't think that I have a team that can hold its own in Fight Area (is that the name?), so I can't get one myself.

I can offer TMs that I don't need for myself, other items, and Pokemon from the GBA games that I could transfer over. Just let me know what you want in return.

mattso

oh man
1st giratina I catch is a pretty decent iv'd (high 20s in both defenses) bold one
I have a pretty good impish one on my diamond cart (a little better in hp but nothing big)

now I can build a physical wall set and a calm mind set with the 2 for the ubers teams I think I want to make this time around

happy happy happy

There must be some kind of coordination (assuming they're not all the same person) between this Pokemon twitter thing. Honestly, it's kind of amazing reading these stories they manage to put together between all the sides, and the personalities given to them all.

From what I've gathered, Arceus is like Jesus on South Park, Milotic is a slut, Psyduck is a paranoid nutjob, and Smeargle is an emo. Oh, and Gary Oak is the "GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK" the internet knows and loves. It's great.

larvi said:
I guess you better put me in that category then. I have 2 emeralds, the 2nd I bought specifically for the JAA tournament in the event they took my cart. I didn't want to chance loosing everything else on my good copy of emerald. I also have 2 Diamonds but only 1 Pearl and 1 plat (so far).

As for duping, I never saw the need. I have enough master balls just from all of the play throughs that I did on all of the various games, although I did use the glitch in Colesseum that allowed you to throw a master ball without using it up.

Hey, long time no see!

I agree that Master Ball duping isn't all it's cracked up to be since there are only so many legendaries to catch anyway. But duplicating rare TMs is extremely helpful if you're into competitive battling. I also like duplicating certain great Pokemon so I can have a version with different moves/EVs in a pinch. <_<

Crazymoogle said:

The only real way to overcome this situation is to get lucky with super-effective moves, or have a substantial level advantage. And then hope you didn't take enough team damage for Monferno. It's clever design, although not entirely fair.
I just used Taunt once the battle started.

Oh and I died at the Hearthome city Gym Leader today.

I think that's the first time I ever died vs a gym leader.

Sixfortyfive

Snow Cloak and 3 Double Teams? Fuck you, Candice!

Seven badges down.

Torterra lv40
Staraptor lv41
Bibarel lv40
Luxray lv40
Kricketune lv41
Bronzong lv41

Bronzong is outspeeding things that he really shouldn't be, even with a speed-decreasing nature. Might end up feeding him some of those EV reducing berries to make Gyro Ball more effective.

Teknoman said:
So you can buy the next Wii partner game...which better be the best damn stadium style game EVER...this time around.
PBR seems nice, but the lack of any sort of stat tracking makes it completely pointless to me.

Sixfortyfive

viewtiful_dru said:
Oh and I died at the Hearthome city Gym Leader today.

I think that's the first time I ever died vs a gym leader.
That Mismagius tore through like 5 of my mans before I put it down.

Good thing Turtwig and Shinx learn Bite.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just want to go to the Battle Factory, why do I have to fight Team Galactic again.

X_x

RaidenZR

Has anyone gotten the Wii Message feature to work? I've had it send my Wii a message four times now with nothing. I can't finish the process.

larvi

Little Green Yoda said:
Hey, long time no see!

I agree that Master Ball duping isn't all it's cracked up to be since there are only so many legendaries to catch anyway. But duplicating rare TMs is extremely helpful if you're into competitive battling. I also like duplicating certain great Pokemon so I can have a version with different moves/EVs in a pinch. <_<

Yeah, I haven't really done much in the way of competitive battling since r/s/e but looking forward to tearing up the battle tower in platinum soon. I really miss the pokemon box features though, Ranch just doesn't cut it in that regard.

viewtiful_dru said:
I just used Taunt once the battle started.

Not likely that anyone is going to have a pokemon who can outspeed Staravia AND use Taunt around the lv.30 mark, but it's a fair strategy if it works.

Playing against the AI definitely has some weird results though. I would put my game odds at around 25% chance to hit if immediately after Double Team, and between this and Pearl my rounds in confusion state (say, if hit by confuse ray) are typically 3:1 or 4:2. Ugh :(

mattso

Crazymoogle said:
Not likely that anyone is going to have a pokemon who can outspeed Staravia AND use Taunt around the lv.30 mark, but it's a fair strategy if it works.

Playing against the AI definitely has some weird results though. I would put my game odds at around 25% chance to hit if immediately after Double Team, and between this and Pearl my rounds in confusion state (say, if hit by confuse ray) are typically 3:1 or 4:2. Ugh :(
monferno can

mattso

I mean just stick something sturdy in there against it and it shouldn't be too much of an issue. double team might make it annoying but if it endeavors you just heal up before it tries to quick attack next turn.

or use a ghost so quick attack won't work.

larvi

Just beat the E4 with the following team:

Infernape lvl 53
Jolteon lvl 50
Wormadam (Grass Cloak) lvl 52
Bibarel lvl 53
Ambipom lvl 51
Staravia lvl 28

Ambipom, Staravia and Bibarel are pretty much just HM slaves. Although Bibarel's surf came in handy quite a bit and I had to abuse revives and Staravia's intimidate to get by a couple of the tougher battles.

Now time to complete my pokedex and head on over to the battle frontier/island/park/whatever it's called.

JCX

If I had the money ( and a fully functional DS), I'd so get Platinum. I guess I'll wait for the summer.

Sixfortyfive

41 Dusk Balls, 1 Ether, and maybe a couple dozen or so rounds of attacking/switching/healing later...

Giratina - #487 (Impish)
HP: 30
Att: 26 - 27
Def: 18 - 19
SpA: 24 - 27
SpD: 1 - 2
Speed: 12 - 13

Special Defense is a kick in the balls, but I think I'm going to keep it. I doubt I'll be able to do much better than this without investing quite a lot of time in soft-resetting.

Considering that Giratina only has 30 PP total, he was probably getting close to Struggling himself to death when I finally caught him.

Tenks

I don't know why but I absolutely love Haunter. He was one of my main pokemon last time I played (Blue) and I was thrilled to see a Ghastly pretty early on. Currently the three Pokemon I use are:

Monferno
Haunter
Machop

I'm trying to figure out what to add next. As soon as I can get Strength I was planning on raising up a Garchomp.

mattso

Tenks said:
I don't know why but I absolutely love Haunter. He was one of my main pokemon last time I played (Blue) and I was thrilled to see a Ghastly pretty early on. Currently the three Pokemon I use are:

Monferno
Haunter
Machop

I'm trying to figure out what to add next. As soon as I can get Strength I was planning on raising up a Garchomp.
you dont need strength to catch gible in this game

larvi

Sixfortyfive said:
41 Dusk Balls, 1 Ether, and maybe a couple dozen or so rounds of attacking/switching/healing later...

Giratina - #487 (Impish)
HP: 30
Att: 26 - 27
Def: 18 - 19
SpA: 24 - 27
SpD: 1 - 2
Speed: 12 - 13

Special Defense is a kick in the balls, but I think I'm going to keep it. I doubt I'll be able to do much better than this without investing quite a lot of time in soft-resetting.

Considering that Giratina only has 30 PP total, he was probably getting close to Struggling himself to death when I finally caught him.

Nice HP IV, you'll be able to get over 500 HP if you give it some EVs there. I wasn't sure what nature I wanted to shoot for so I fled from Giratina in distortion world. Once I figure out what I want I will be able to go to turnback cave and bring a synchronizer to make it easier.

Tenks

mattso said:
you dont need strength to catch gible in this game

Do you just enter the cave via the secret entrance? I thought it said on YouTube I'd need strength to get to the correct location.

mattso

larvi said:
Nice HP IV, you'll be able to get over 500 HP if you give it some EVs there. I wasn't sure what nature I wanted to shoot for so I fled from Giratina in distortion world. Once I figure out what I want I will be able to go to turnback cave and bring a synchronizer to make it easier.
bold and impish are the best 2 if you want a wall. Adamant for a choice band set, modest for choice specs

Tenks said:
Do you just enter the cave via the secret entrance? I thought it said on YouTube I'd need strength to get to the correct location.
for diamond and pearl you needed it, in this game you can just by going in the secret entrance.

I caught 2 and got my earthquake tm well before I had strength

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my 5th badge. This is my first playthrough of this Pokemon generation. Here's my team:

Prinplup
Kadabra
Luxray
Gyrados
Houndour

I feel pretty good about this team and I've whooped the blond kid's ass ever time, even though his Pokemon are usually a higher level than mine.

Tenks

mattso said:
for diamond and pearl you needed it, in this game you can just by going in the secret entrance.

I caught 2 and got my earthquake tm well before I had strength

Thanks for the tip, just added him to my roster

JCX

Captain N said:
What happened to your DS? Weren't we just played the other day?

This DS has a cracked top screen, so I can only really see the right side of the screen well, which does not do me any favors during battles.

I was interested in "competitive" Pokémon teams/battling last week. A few posters pointed me toward Smogon, thank you. The site is full of useful information.

What I don't like or can't understand is how competitive these people are. They have literally removed all the fun out of playing the game. Every stat is put under a microscope, every choice made must be accompanied by a written explanation for the community.

If you build a fun team using Pokémon that you like for enjoyment, I have actually seen the established forum members literally not be able to comprehend why this was done.

Is there prize money to be won or something in actual competitive play? I will definitely use the info that site provides but have literally no interest in that type of serious game play, with the math calculations and battle theory and all.

When I take teams online I really do hope there are players that are a notch below.

I just needed to vent.

vhfive

Anerythristic said:
I was interested in "competitive" Pokémon teams/battling last week. A few posters pointed me toward Smogon, thank you. The site is full of useful information.

What I don't like or can't understand is how competitive these people are. They have literally removed all the fun out of playing the game. Every stat is put under a microscope every choice made must be accompanied by a written explanation for the community.

If you build a fun team using Pokémon that you like for enjoyment, I have actually seen the established forum members literally not be able to comprehend why this was done.

Is their prize money to be won or something in actual competitive play? I will definitely use the info that site provides but have literally no interest in that type of serious game play, with the math calculations and battle theory and all.

When I take teams online I really do hope there are players that are a notch below.

I just needed to vent.
i agree i thought about creating a competitive team but when i saw smogon i was overwhelmed. i probably will still make a team but i will pick pokemon that are my favorites and not care if my team sucks or not.

Captain N

JCX said:
This DS has a cracked top screen, so I can only really see the right side of the screen well, which does not do me any favors during battles.

That sucks! Can't you return it to Nintendo?

Okay so I just finished at the third lake and got rock climb. I don't know what to do after I finish that final lake.

Jiggy

Anerythristic said:

What I don't like or can't understand is how competitive these people are. They have literally removed all the fun out of playing the game. Every stat is put under a microscope every choice made must be accompanied by a written explanation for the community.

[...]

I took third in GAF's first Pokemon tournament, if I remember correctly, and for the second one I swept the winners' bracket. It never finished due to people no-showing, but I would have been second at least!

Despite this, I think I'm pretty pathetic compared to the online players and I don't dare mess with them. I haven't even tried Shoddy out of fear for what it'll do to my self-esteem, but I can say that in GBA days with NetBattle I lost at least 80% of the time. Probably more. (Granted, though, that in NetBattle I was constantly using UU favorites, which didn't help me much.) So if you're just playing on GAF, don't be too worried... I mean, the mere fact that you're reading those articles already brings you a huge step up in the knowledge realm, and I got as far as I did around here with nothing to aid me except those very same Smogon posts.

And shoot, some people around here don't even breed or EV train. :p
Hi, JCX. The fact that my base 85 Speed Pokemon outruns your base 110 Speed Pokemon is going to give me nightmares until the end of time. :(

vhfive

Captain N said:
That sucks! Can't you return it to Nintendo?

Okay so I just finished at the third lake and got rock climb. I don't know what to do after I finish that final lake.
iirc

you have to go team galactic hq in veilstone

Top Bottom