• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

beje

Banned
I decided to beat Pearl raising the most strange, unused or downright crappy, non-evolving Pokémon

So, for this quest I need the following eggs...

pachirisu
farfetch'd
dunsparce
shuckle
corsola
mawile

I can only give filler crap in return as I still haven't beaten the first gym :(

I'd apreciate if the eggs weren't hacked stats-wise as I want to play nice, though I don't mind if it's just a cloned just hatched legit pokemon or a cloned egg. I don't care either about natures or abilities.

0001-9928-9836 Beje

Thanks

On the subject of the music in this series, despite my hate for FireRed and LeafGreen tarnishing my memories of original RBY, RSE's Elite 4 battle theme blew my mind. I was mildly disappointed that DPP's E4 theme was an arrange of the gym leader theme but that one's a great track already so it wasn't hard to be good still.

The closest we have to this is the anime background music collection releases, but we seriously need a 'live' show group performing the great music throughout the series in a Pokemon-themed show.

beje

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
My only availability time is usually around 8-9pm pst, and then random hours on the weekend. Sorry :/

Nevermind then, thank you anyway.

Edit: can anyone else help me? It doesn't have to be all those, just one is fine too :p

Edit 2: I'm off to bed. If someone is willing to help, I'll be back and available to go online with the DS in around 18 hours

xSL4INx

Ok, I know that when you breed Pokemon, the male passes down moves to the baby regardless of the newborns gender, but how does it work for non-gendered pokemon? Like, if I breed a Porygon that knows Tri-Attack with one of my Dittos', will the newly hatched Porygon know Tri-Attack?

larvi

xSL4INx said:
Ok, I know that when you breed Pokemon, the male passes down moves to the baby regardless of the newborns gender, but how does it work for non-gendered pokemon? Like, if I breed a Porygon that knows Tri-Attack with one of my Dittos', will the newly hatched Porygon know Tri-Attack?

Nope, it doesn't work for genderless unfortunately

Forkball

Does anyone ever check out the Pokemon GTS website? It's actually really well-made and pretty detailed. The GTS Journal is also bizarrely interesting. Did you know that Victreebel trades have increased almost 100% in the past two weeks? I sure didn't.

Kletian said:
So all the Pokemon hype has gotten me into playing Diamond again. I need some help in rounding out my team, keeping in mind that I'm going to just be playing casually (i.e. no EV training etc) with friends and our only rule will be no Legendaries.

Drapion
Gliscor
Garchomp
??? (Dusknoir?)
??? (Drifloon - Baton Pass +critchance to Drapion)?
???

I'm thinking I need something with special attacks, something with high defenses and water/grass/ice/electric moves to round it out but I'm not sure what I want to use. Help? :D
I think both Drifloon and Dusknoir cover the same role (bulky ghost).

Kletian

Yeah I'm changed the team up a tad.

Drapion
Dusknoir
Gliscor
Heracross

I dropped Garchomp just because I don't like using TMs (because I don't have multiples and that's the only way he get's Earthquake) I'd like to get Ludicolo but I don't have Sapphire unfortunately. If I can get him I now need some sort of heavy hitter that can use Earthquake.

I may be tempted to play with Torkoal, I know he's not the best but he may be fun and hey, it's casual play with friends, not like they'll be throwing Tyranitars all over the place.

larvi

beje said:
Nevermind then, thank you anyway.

Edit: can anyone else help me? It doesn't have to be all those, just one is fine too :p

Edit 2: I'm off to bed. If someone is willing to help, I'll be back and available to go online with the DS in around 18 hours

I've got them all except for the farfetched and working on that now. I should be available to trade later.

beje

Banned
larvi said:
I've got them all except for the farfetched and working on that now. I should be available to trade later.

Thanks, I'm available right now. Can you please give me your code? I'll go online as soon as I see your post ;)

Kletian said:

Drapion
Dusknoir
Gliscor
Heracross

Well, I can throw you a lotad if you can wait out my bizarre hours. To be honest I would avoid Torkoal if for no other reason than he's another ground weakness you should probably avoid. If you still want to go tough and slow, Aggron/Rhyperior are a bit more interesting. Bulky water is a lot easier to find than Bulky fire though.

Kletian

Thanks moogle but I forgot I have Lotad on my Emerald cart :lol

And the only reason I went with Torkoal is because I wanted a different type (fire) that also learned Earthquake, I don't want to use my TM and I don't want to give the move to Drapion.

I though about Aggron/Rhyperior when I first started constructing the team but that brings me back to having two ground types. Keeping steel in mind I thought about Metagross as well.

larvi

beje said:
Thanks, I'm available right now. Can you please give me your code? I'll go online as soon as I see your post ;)

Sorry, busy at work right now but should be free in about 2hrs. I'll pm you when I can get online.

beje

Banned
Looks like I finally managed to get a Mawile egg. Now let's go walk 5000 steps without bike!

larvi said:
Sorry, busy at work right now but should be free in about 2hrs. I'll pm you when I can get online.

kk

larvi

beje said:
Looks like I finally managed to get a Mawile egg. Now let's go walk 5000 steps without bike!

Took a quick break from work to trade, sorry about the connection drops. Did you get everything you needed?

Devo

xSL4INx said:
Can anyone help me out in a huge way and let me borrow their male Scizor that knows Bullet Punch so I can breed myself an adamant Scyther with Technician ability that knows Bullet Punch?

I'll give it right back, I just really need to get a Bullet Punching Scizor.
Actually, if you take Scizor (has to be Scizor, Scyther can't do this) to the Move Relearner in Pastoria, for a Heart Scale (found fairly easily in the Underground) he can teach Scizor Bullet Punch. For some reason Scizor learns Bullet Punch incredibly early on, but it's impossible to get him to learn it through leveling up. Hope that helps.

xSL4INx

So, I've been breeding a crapload in an attempt to get new Pokemon to train for my competitive team, and of course I'm stuck with tons of leftovers that aren't needed. So, if anyone wants any of the following Pokemon, all are level 1 and infected with PokeRus. They are as follows:

Scyther, moves: Leer, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Roost
Gible, moves: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Sandstorm, Tackle
Eevee, moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Helping Hand, Rain Dance

There's also lots of Misdrevious, but I don't remember the movset, but they're up for trade also. Just let me know on here if anyone wants one. I'm not asking for anything much in return (if someone has an eeveelution that knows wish, is male and would let me borrow it to breed, that would be awesome!), so if you just got some junk Pokemon to throw away that'll be fine too. I'll be free for trading sometime later tonight.

Kletian

I don't have anything to give but I'd love the Gible and Scyther. I'll be around most of the night.

Poke-code

2835 6569 1975

I can give trash and a Duskskull that knows Pain Split

xSL4INx

Kletian said:
I don't have anything to give but I'd love the Gible and Scyther. I'll be around most of the night.

Poke-code

2835 6569 1975

I can give trash and a Duskskull that knows Pain Split

Ok, I'll be on later tonight.

I guess I should clarify that I don't just have 1 of each of these Pokemon. I have around 20 Eevees, and 3 or 4 boxes full each of Scythers and Gibles, so, that's around 90-120 each of those guys.

beje

Banned
Oops, this is going to be harder than expected. My only usable Pokémon against Roark is Corsola, and at lvl12, it's already ignoring my orders and turning back XDDDDD

larvi

beje said:
Oops, this is going to be harder than expected. My only usable Pokémon against Roark is Corsola, and at lvl12, it's already ignoring my orders and turning back XDDDDD

Yeah, that can be a problem for the first 2 or 3 gyms. I guess I should have traded you eggs instead as they would have had your OT ID when they hatched. Time to overlevel that Mawile and use it until you get some levels. Of just hope you get the others obey you (I think you have a 25% chance they will)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
beje said:
You should have traded them to yourself in egg form so that they hatched with you as the original trainer.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

Ravidrath

Holy shit, I just hatched a shiny Shroomish using the "Masuda Method." And, wow, I lucked out, too... it was on my 100th egg.

As I said before, I made some eggs, and hatched some on a Japanese cart, and some on a U.S. cart. Then moved them to another cart and let them go at it.

All in all, it took about 3 hours, including bathroom breaks and not-totally-paying-attention-and-running-into-walls.

I've named him Psilocybin, after the psychoactive compound found in magic mushrooms, 'cause I was pretty sure I was seeing things when he hatched. :p

This went so well, I'm probably going to be doing more of this...

Kletian said:

Drapion
Dusknoir
Gliscor
Heracross

I dropped Garchomp just because I don't like using TMs (because I don't have multiples and that's the only way he get's Earthquake) I'd like to get Ludicolo but I don't have Sapphire unfortunately. If I can get him I now need some sort of heavy hitter that can use Earthquake.

I may be tempted to play with Torkoal, I know he's not the best but he may be fun and hey, it's casual play with friends, not like they'll be throwing Tyranitars all over the place.
You should add someone with SpAtk as it's primary stat. Most of your PKMN are physical-based. And ignore Torkoal.

Ravidrath said:
Holy shit, I just hatched a shiny Shroomish using the "Masuda Method." And, wow, I lucked out, too... it was on my 100th egg.

As I said before, I made some eggs, and hatched some on a Japanese cart, and some on a U.S. cart. Then moved them to another cart and let them go at it.

All in all, it took about 3 hours, including bathroom breaks and not-totally-paying-attention-and-running-into-walls.

I've named him Psilocybin, after the psychoactive compound found in magic mushrooms, 'cause I was pretty sure I was seeing things when he hatched. :p

This went so well, I'm probably going to be doing more of this...

That sounds all kinds of awesome.

Gonna go for a Shiny Ralts just to have a Pokemon with the nickname 'Rei' or 'Nagato'. Yeah yeah. /sigh

Captain N

My game save got busted after 100 hours of playing the game! Does anyone have any extra eggs? That could help me out big time.

Kletian

I'm going to assume there is no way to breed Ice Beam and Toxic onto a Ludicolo without the use of TMs eh?

Also, is there a site out there where you can figure out a breeding chain without racking your head too much. Something where I can plug in a move, a pokemon I want to learn the move and it will tell me the chain of sex my pokemon must be involved in to get there?

larvi

Kletian said:
I'm going to assume there is no way to breed Ice Beam and Toxic onto a Ludicolo without the use of TMs eh?

Also, is there a site out there where you can figure out a breeding chain without racking your head too much. Something where I can plug in a move, a pokemon I want to learn the move and it will tell me the chain of sex my pokemon must be involved in to get there?

I believe the Metal Kids program can do that:

http://www.metalkid.info/pokemon/OfflineProgram/Default.aspx

joelseph

Kletian said:

You can buy/win/trade for the good TMs. I battle tower to and from work just to save up for Earthquakes and such. Takes a while but it is doable.

Ravidrath

Kletian said:

I don't know about Ice Beam, but my level 100 Linoone picked up an Earthquake TM last night.

Holy anal dildoes.

I was just checkin IV's of the pokemon I caught and had in boxes via the serebii IV calculator and i had the following IV's for my nosepass.

HP 25-26
A 26-28
D 0-1
SP.A 29-31
SP.D 28-30
Spd 27-29

Nature Calm (110 SP.D 90 A)

Considering nosepass has sp.d as its best stat and sp.a as its highest attack stat, I think I found a pretty game good pokemon. Granted, its typing may not be the best, but I'm just damn surprised I lucked into a pokemon that has these IV's. No EV's put into it yet. Thinking of maxing Sp.A and SP.D + 1 point in HP.

Edit: Hmm, Naughty gabite

Stat min max
HP 4 5
Atk 20 22
Def 19 21
Sp.Atk 25 26
Sp.Def 22 24
Spd 27 28

Ravidrath

Earthstrike said:
Holy anal dildoes.

I was just checkin IV's of the pokemon I caught and had in boxes via the serebii IV calculator and i had the following IV's for my nosepass.

HP 25-26
A 26-28
D 0-1
SP.A 29-31
SP.D 28-30
Spd 27-29

Nature Calm (110 SP.D 90 A)

Considering nosepass has sp.d as its best stat and sp.a as its highest attack stat, I think I found a pretty game good pokemon. Granted, its typing may not be the best, but I'm just damn surprised I lucked into a pokemon that has these IV's. No EV's put into it yet. Thinking of maxing Sp.A and SP.D + 1 point in HP.

Edit: Hmm, Naughty gabite

Stat min max
HP 4 5
Atk 20 22
Def 19 21
Sp.Atk 25 26
Sp.Def 22 24
Spd 27 28

Good stuff, except for it being a Nosepass... I think and Probopass might be my most hated Pokemon!

Such a waste of a Moai Pokemon. :\

Eteric Rice

FUCK I WAS IN THE SAFARII ZONE AND A SHINEY APPEARED AND IT RAN AWAY!

fuuuuu.jpg

Ravidrath

Eteric Rice said:
FUCK I WAS IN THE SAFARII ZONE AND A SHINEY APPEARED AND IT RAN AWAY!

fuuuuu.jpg

Really sorry to hear that... What was it? :\

I had a shiny Exeggcute appear in my recent Fire Red playthrough, and I was really afraid that it would get away... but I got it.

Eteric Rice

Ravidrath said:
Really sorry to hear that... What was it? :\

I had a shiny Exeggcute appear in my recent Fire Red playthrough, and I was really afraid that it would get away... but I got it.

It was a Bibarel or whatever they call it.

The evolved beaver. :(

Hey ravidrath. Do you know any online lists of all the dual types that don't exist in any pokemon yet? A quick google search didn't yield much.

Shiggie

Earthstrike said:
Hey ravidrath. Do you know any online lists of all the dual types that don't exist in any pokemon yet? A quick google search didn't yield much.
Also, there is no stand alone flying types. I find that strange.

Alright, I was bored so I decided to go ahead and see what dual-types don't exist yet. Frankly, I've always thought dual types were a neat idea and though nintendo could really exercise creativity exploring the set of all dual types. However, they've only made pokemon for 53%. Not including the normal type, which arguably shouldn't undergo much dual typing, they've only paired up 57%.

I made an excel file that had all types listed along two axes, and each cell got a point for a pokemon evolution chain that had that dual type. (for instance, bulbasaur, venusaur and ivysaur would only count for one point towards grass-poison, while oddish gloom and vileplume would altogether add one more point)

The most common dual type was bug-flying with 9, followed by normal flying at 7. Bug/poison had 5, and grass/poison, ground/water, water/rock, water/ice all had 4.

Wormadam's evolutionary line contributed 4 points total for mothin and the 3 wormadams.

One dual type is not present in any pokemon's fully evolved form. (surskit, water/bug)

The type that had the greatest variety of other type pairings was flying, missing only one combination. Factoring out zapdos, it is tied with water, in terms of dual type variety.

The type with the least variety is dragon, with only 6 combinations. 3 ignoring legendaries.

Flying is present in the most non-legendary evolutionary chains. 33 of them. Followed by water at 28 and bug at 25. Electric has the least with 3, followed by dragon and fire at 6.

Including legendaries, flying has 40, water 29, bug 25. Least, electric 4, ghost 7, normal 9. (7 normal/flying, one normal/water, and one normal/psychic)

Here's the list of all non-existent dual types.
If legend is in the list, it means only a legendary pokemon has that dual-type.

Normal/poison
Normal/grass
Normal/fire
Normal/elec
Normal/steel
Normal/dark
Normal/ghost
Normal/fighting
Normal/ground
Normal/rock
Normal/bug
Normal/dragon
Normal/ice

Flying/elec (legend)
Flying/Fighting

Poison/fire
Poison/elec
Poison/steel
Poison/psychic
Poison/rock
Poison/dragon
Poison/ice

Grass/fire
Grass/elec
Grass/steel
Grass/dragon
Grass/ghost

fire/elec
fire/water
fire/steel (legend)
fire/ghost
fire/psychic
fire/bug
fire/dragon
fire/ice

Elec/dark
Elec/psychic
Elec/fighting
Elec/ground
Elec/rock
Elec/bug
Elec/dragon
Elec/ice

water/ghost

steel/dark
steel/ghost
steel/dragon (legend)
steel/ice

dark/psychic
dark/fighting
dark/ground
dark/dragon
dark/bug

ghost/psychic
ghost/fighting
ghost/ground
ghost/rock
ghost/dragon (legend)

psychic/bug
psychic/dragon (legend)

fighting/rock
fighting/ground
fighting/dragon
fighting/ice

rock/dragon
rock/ice

bug/dragon
bug/ice

dragon/ice

Ravidrath

Heh, that's pretty interesting.

For a while, I had a little drawing assignment for myself where I would try to draw monsters, one a day, and I was using Pokemon dual-typing to give it a little structure.

...Sadly, I think I got about three days into it before crunch hit or something and stopped it. :p

Top Bottom