• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Shiggie

yup.
Also, why isnt togekiss a standalone flying type? I honestly dont think well see one. This upsets me for some reason.

NeoForte

Shiggie said:
yup.
Also, why isnt togekiss a standalone flying type? I honestly dont think well see one. This upsets me for some reason.

Probably cause even the Pokemon birds aren't just pure flying?

Well Togepi was always a flagship normal type anyways. It gained flying with Togetic/Togekiss but was never really a hardcore flyer in moveset.

Jokey665

Shiggie said:
yup.
Probably for the same reason it can PUNCH THINGS when all it has are wings that don't even look like they should be able to move.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a Naive Ditto that I could borrow for about ten minutes? I'd really appreciate it.

larvi

To get the trainer star for the national pokedex to I need to just seen the pokemon or do I just need to obtain them? I finally got to 492 seen but didn't get the start (I only have 392 obtained). I guess I actually need to obtain them or is there someone I need to talk to?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, thanks to the guy that traded me one. I am done with him now (what I needed didn't take long) and ready to trade back. He's not naive anymore though, for some reason his nature changed to quiet.

Cocopjojo said:
Okay, thanks to the guy that traded me one. I am done with him now (what I needed didn't take long) and ready to trade back. He's not naive anymore though, for some reason his nature changed to quiet.

MONSTER!

I am trying to see all Sinnoh Pokemon but I'm at the Old Chateau and I don't see Rotom anywhere? I think I'm in the right room, the one with the TV on which says it's looking at me or somethign like that... am I doing something wrong?

Teknoman said:
Whats the point of Amity square? Also how do you get to the blocked off sections?

Amity Square is a weird place. Once you enter with one of the 11 eligible pokemon, there are various items to find, plus your pokemon finds a new item if you talk to it, roughly every 200 steps. The items are all contest related.

I don't really remember any blocked off sections. I do know that going inside the house places and taking a different direction exits out to a different spot, though.

Teknoman

Crazymoogle said:
Amity Square is a weird place. Once you enter with one of the 11 eligible pokemon, there are various items to find, plus your pokemon finds a new item if you talk to it, roughly every 200 steps. The items are all contest related.

I don't really remember any blocked off sections. I do know that going inside the house places and taking a different direction exits out to a different spot, though.

Yeah its like...one house with a fat guy in front of it that I cant seem to get to. Didnt really spend much time there in Diamond, but now i've got to get to that one spot :lol

NeoForte said:
Probably cause even the Pokemon birds aren't just pure flying?
That's one of the greatest mystery of the PKMN world. Why is there no pure flying type PKMN? And Doduo/Dodrio should be pure normal.

Jiggy

Teknoman said:
Yeah its like...one house with a fat guy in front of it that I cant seem to get to. Didnt really spend much time there in Diamond, but now i've got to get to that one spot :lol
There are two entrances to Amity Square. Sad to say, I have four copies of D/P and still couldn't remember that fact by the time I got to Platinum.

Woo, got my Pokemon Platinum just now.

Just a question to update me. Which pokemon/features can be obtained through Nintendo events. When do these events take place, and finally, am I right in saying no events require you to travel to a Toys R Us in Milton Keynes to obtain them?

Hobbun

I picked up Fire Red/Leaf Green awhile back but have not played them. I also have Platinum.

I plan to buy the upcoming Gold/Silver remakes (probably one of the two), should I bother to play any of the other GBA Pokemon games (Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, etc.)?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm trying to IV-breed a Chimchar... I've got one that has awesome stats, but he has a ZERO for his attack. The rest of his stats are like 28-31, though! If I pump his attack stat full of EVs, will that make up for it? Or should I just keep breeding?

Teknoman

Dabookerman said:

Just a question to update me. Which pokemon/features can be obtained through Nintendo events. When do these events take place, and finally, am I right in saying no events require you to travel to a Toys R Us in Milton Keynes to obtain them?

If you have wi-fi at home, just wait for a wi-fi mystery gift event to happen. I think one is going on right now for the secret key. Download it to access a room that lets you change Rotom's form.

Chozo

Cocopjojo said:
So I'm trying to IV-breed a Chimchar... I've got one that has awesome stats, but he has a ZERO for his attack. The rest of his stats are like 28-31, though! If I pump his attack stat full of EVs, will that make up for it? Or should I just keep breeding?

At level 100, 252 EVs in a stat will give you 63 points. That means that you're getting 63 points with an IV of 0 at 100 vs. 94 points with an IV of 31 at 100.

As far as that being acceptable...it depends on what you want your Infernape to do. If it's going to be special sweeping, you can probably get away with it: you'll likely only need a physical attack (read: Close Combat) for Blissey, and Close Combat is a solid 2HKO on a Blissey with max defense/HP even if Infernape has 0 IV/EVs in attack and a neutral nature. If it's going to be a mixed/phsyical attacker, then missing those extra 31 points hurts too much to be acceptable, even if its other stats are awesome.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Chozo said:
At level 100, 252 EVs in a stat will give you 63 points. That means that you're getting 63 points with an IV of 0 at 100 vs. 94 points with an IV of 31 at 100.

As far as that being acceptable...it depends on what you want your Infernape to do. If it's going to be special sweeping, you can probably get away with it: you'll likely only need a physical attack (read: Close Combat) for Blissey, and Close Combat is a solid 2HKO on a Blissey with max defense/HP even if Infernape has 0 IV/EVs in attack and a neutral nature. If it's going to be a mixed/phsyical attacker, then missing those extra 31 points hurts too much to be acceptable, even if its other stats are awesome.
Thanks. I think I am going to see if he has any 31s and then use him as a parent to keep breeding.

Dabookerman said:

Almost all legendary pokemon. Some poketch app and some items.

Can anyone here trade me a baby Torchic/ Charmander or baby Milotic? The people Im in talks with over at Serebii are all takeing their sweet ass time . . . we have been replying to each other over PM sence Thr!

Oh, and I think Im going to pick up Pokemon Platinum today. Might as well seeing as I have to go get something for mother's day.

CassSept

In preparation for Heart Gold I've FINALLY ordered Platinum. Time to actually understand what I'm doing in Sinnoh:lol

Can anyone give me links about competitive play, best EV leveling, best natures etc? I forgot all of them, so I'm looking for some help >.>

CassSept

One more question, about Pal Park. Will trasnfering from PAL game to NTSC Platinum within same language work, or does it have to be same regon too?

Chozo

CassSept said:
I remember Serebii and sometimes even visit it, the site I've meant was Smogon >.>

What I use for EV training:
-HP: The Bidoof on the first route in the game. In D/P there was a trainer south of Solaceon that had five Bidoof (IIRC), but I believe her team got switched up in Platinum so she may not be as good of a source anymore.
-Attack: I use the route west of Pastoria. The Bibarel and Kricketune give 2 EVs each.
-Defense: Oreburgh mine has nothing but Geodude and Onix during the day. If you train at night just remember to run from the odd Zubat and you should be good.
-Special Attack: Old Chateau. Gastly (and if you run into them, Haunter and Gengar) give only special attack EVs.
-Special Defense: The Tentacool/cruel zerg on any water route.
-Speed: the 6 Magikarp dude on the bridge west of Eterna city.

It ain't Smogon, but it's a decent starting list. Most competitive Pokemon forums will probably have a list floating around about ideal locations, but I'm lazy and can't be arsed to find one ATM.

Ravidrath

So, thinking about the 5th Gen game...

Are there any "trends" or patterns from past games you'd like to see continued in the next generation game?

Some that come to mind for me...

1. Jynx seemed to be following the same pattern as Electabuzz and Magmar in past games, despite not being a "pure" Ice-type, so give her an evolution

2. Give Banette an evolution, to match Dusknoir

3. Match Feebas by creating other super-rare Pokemon that evolve on when the other Contest-stats are maxed

4. Seems that a majority of the Pokemon with "baby" versions have second evolution - finish this out with Mr. Mime, Chimecho, Mantine, Sudowudo, Wobbuffet, etc.

5. Obligatory call for MOAR Eeveelutions - we still need Fighting, Flying, Bug, Ground, Rock, Poison, Ghost and Dragon!

...And any Pokemon you'd like to see get new evolutions?

For me, I'd like to see Kecleon, Absol, and Torkoal get evolutions.

larvi

Finally completed my national dex and got my 5 star black trainers card. Does anyone know if Pokemon Ranch has been updated yet? I'm pretty much out of storage space now.

Eteric Rice

So I'm playing diamond.

So far my team is Staraptor, Kadabra, Luxray, and Empoleon. I mean really, these are the only ones I really like to level up so far. The others that I want I can't get yet because they're on that stupid goddam island AFTER the elite four.

And what the hell is with Ponyta being like, the only fire Pokemon I can find up until now? -_-

Any reccomendations on something I should catch and train to the 50s/60s for the elite four? I caught just about everything that I could find, but none other than those four are something that I like.

I was thinking Sneasel, but I dunno.

Firestorm

Gyarados. Believe me.
Gyarados with Dragon Dance + Waterfall.

I think my friend killed the entire Elite 4 with just him. Maybe a ground type to take the electric attacks.

Ravidrath

larvi said:
Finally completed my national dex and got my 5 star black trainers card. Does anyone know if Pokemon Ranch has been updated yet? I'm pretty much out of storage space now.

Nope, still hasn't been updated. :\

Eteric Rice

Firestorm said:
Gyarados. Believe me.
Gyarados with Dragon Dance + Waterfall.

I think my friend killed the entire Elite 4 with just him. Maybe a ground type to take the electric attacks.

I just caught a Gible.

What.

The.

Fuck.

That thing pretty much 4 shotted my level 49 Staraptor.

AND IT WAS ONLY LEVEL 15 WHAT THE FUCK.

Dragon Breath = OP omfg.

Firestorm

Oh right you can get one of those before the Elite 4.
Yes you want one of those. It's Ground / Dragon.

Also broken. Friggin' Game Freak :mad: It's like they tweaked his stats to be unbelievably strong by JUST the right amount in all categories.

Teknoman

So....how about that GAF Pokemon Summer tournament... :D

EDIT: Also whats the advantage of going waterfall over aqua tail?

Nevermind, see that waterfall has the chance to make something flinch. I never knew that. So I guess waterfall for a fast Pokemon, aqua tail for a slow one.

xSL4INx

Black-Wind said:
Can anyone here trade me a baby Torchic/ Charmander or baby Milotic? The people Im in talks with over at Serebii are all takeing their sweet ass time . . . we have been replying to each other over PM sence Thr!

Oh, and I think Im going to pick up Pokemon Platinum today. Might as well seeing as I have to go get something for mother's day.

If you still need a Charmander, I've got like 60 just sitting in a few boxes.

Top Bottom