• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Jiggy

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Also whats the advantage of going waterfall over aqua tail?

Nevermind, see that waterfall has the chance to make something flinch. I never knew that. So I guess waterfall for a fast Pokemon, aqua tail for a slow one.
Aqua Tail also has 90% accuracy. Not bad for some Choice Banders, but for something like Dragon Dance Gyarados, an attack that fails to land can ruin you.

Ravidrath said:
4. Seems that a majority of the Pokemon with "baby" versions have second evolution - finish this out with Mr. Mime, Chimecho, Mantine, Sudowudo, Wobbuffet, etc.
Wobbuffet owns even without an evolution. That's why he's banned in competitive play.

Eteric Rice said:
Chansey still banned? I remember in one gen someone said Chansey was banned.
Chansey? I think not. Wobbuffet and possible Wynaut are the only PKMN banned from all tiers in competitive play.

rocK` said:
what does wobbuffet have?
He doesn't have a counter. If he's used, it's a guaranteed kill on 1 or more of the opponents pokemon.

Sp Attackers -> Mirror Coat
Phy Attackers -> Counter

Encore ensures the predictability of moves.
Safeguard prevents status infiction.
Leftovers regenerate HP.
Shadow Tag (his ability) - prevents escape.

Kletian

Corss posting this from the other pokemon thread because I got confused because there's too many threads :p

Does anyone have a Trapinch that they bothered to level up high enough to learn Earthquake? I need to get that move onto my Gliscor and Trapinch is the only one who learns it that he can breed with.

Problem is Trapinch doesn't learn the move til fricking 75.

I'm recommending someone use this set:

Cacturne w/ Leftovers
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch

Saw one literally sweep an entire team and it is an AMAZING set.

332.jpg

joelseph

Kletian said:
Corss posting this from the other pokemon thread because I got confused because there's too many threads :p

Does anyone have a Trapinch that they bothered to level up high enough to learn Earthquake? I need to get that move onto my Gliscor and Trapinch is the only one who learns it that he can breed with.

Problem is Trapinch doesn't learn the move til fricking 75.

Wouldn't earthquake have to be an egg move for Gliscor to inherit it from a Trapinch?

Teknoman

I really dont like it when you encounter...say a...Scyther, fail to catch it, and then it turns out to be a semi-rare appearance.

Just got Platinum today, played it till the DS went out. Just beat the first gym . . . blasted his whole team with Geodude :lol (picked the fire starter this time and it was fucking useless seeing as it was lev 12. Geodude wasonly at like lev 9 and kept going up the more I owned the leader's pokemon! Only had Rock Smash/ tackle/ polish and some non-attack move I nevered used).

Teknoman said:
I really dont like it when you encounter...say a...Scyther, fail to catch it, and then it turns out to be a semi-rare appearance.
Try shiny hunting one . . .

And that SAME thing happened to me with Feebas years ago! Never saw another one in the wild . . . just got one in a Wi-Fi trade along with a Milotic for my Shiny Delcetty.

Chozo

Wii Will Rock U said:
I'm recommending someone use this set:

Cacturne w/ Leftovers
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch

Saw one literally sweep an entire team and it is an AMAZING set.

Cacturne's cool. The sucky thing about it is that almost all of its viable sets pretty much require you to be a prediction God, so it can blow up in your face as often as it owns your opponent's.

Chozo said:
Cacturne's cool. The sucky thing about it is that almost all of its viable sets pretty much require you to be a prediction God, so it can blow up in your face as often as it owns your opponent's.
I haven't seen a Cacturne being used except in Sandstorm teams.

Pachimari

So this month I am looking to buy a Nintendo DSi and Pokémon Platinum. The last one I played in the series was Pokémon Red, so what new features am I in for? I hear stuff about baby pokémons, dark pokémons, shiny pokémons, cellphone, email, more pokéballs, someone care to set an old lad into the game again?

Eteric Rice

Anastacio said:
So this month I am looking to buy a Nintendo DSi and Pokémon Platinum. The last one I played in the series was Pokémon Red, so what new features am I in for? I hear stuff about baby pokémons, dark pokémons, shiny pokémons, cellphone, email, more pokéballs, someone care to set an old lad into the game again?

Okay, firstly, there aren't 151 anymore. There are about 493 (this includes evolutions and stuff) Pokemon. Secondly, you can now breed Pokemon, which in some cases will give you a baby form. Like Pichu, for instance.

172Pichu.png

Whom is the pre-evolution of Pikachu now.

There are berries now. Basically, you can plant or pick berries that you can give to your Pokemon. And at a certain point (if it's health is low, or something else) it will trigger the berries effect (which could be to heal it, and stuff like that).

You can also give your Pokemon items, now.

There are two new types of Pokemon. Dark, and Steel. Dark was put in because Phsychic Pokemon were fucking Godly and they needed a type to offset them. Steel was put in to be cool as hell.

Houdoom and Scizor for example.

229Houndoom.png

212Scizor.png

And what else... There's other stuff, I just can't think of it right now. OH! You can now battle and trade online! That's a big one.

And since you asked. Shiny Pokemon are a rare color variation that you have a 1 in 8100 chance of encountering. You'll know you've encountered one because of the sparkle that appears around it... Also, the different color that it will be.

First is a normal Charizard, second is a shiny Charizard.

006charizard.png

006charizard.png

Jiggy

Anastacio said:
So this month I am looking to buy a Nintendo DSi and Pokémon Platinum. The last one I played in the series was Pokémon Red, so what new features am I in for?
Dark type
Steel type
Changes to resistances and weaknesses, e.g. Poison is neutral on Bug and Ice now resists Fire
Special is split into Special Attack and Special Defense
Moves are physical or special depending on the individual move instead of the type
Natures that give +10% to one stat and -10% to another
Pokemon abilities that are inherent or activate upon switching in
Pokemon gender
342 new Pokemon
Breeding
Trainer rematches
Gym leader rematches
A run button (after you get running shoes a few minutes in)
A bike with two speeds
Pokemon can hold items
Dozens of new moves
New functions or base power for some old moves, e.g. Roar and Whirlwind force a switch in a trainer battle and Dig has 60 power
Dozens of new items
Playable female trainer
Pokemon contests
92 TMs instead of 50, 8 HMs instead of 5
Weather conditions that affect battle
Other conditions that affect battle, e.g. Trick Room (for five turns, the slower Pokemon moves first) or Gravity (everything can be hit by Earthquake, evasion decreases)
New stones to evolve with
Pokemon can be moved to and from boxes without separate commands for withdraw and deposit
The option to use L as an A button equivalent

I could probably think of other things, but let's end it there. Suffice it to say you're in for a lot.

Edit: Haly is reaming me for neglecting to mention day/night! Edit 2: And the ability to make an underground base. And mining for fossils and evolution stones in a minigame. Edit 3: And online.

Pachimari

Okay, so.. wow. I am overwhelmed. I guess I should do with the basics at first (the game hits my country at May 22), and read up on all the new Pokémon in an online Pokédex.

How many Pokémons can you travel around with? 6? Cause I am set to make up my starting team of Pokémons.

Eteric Rice

Anastacio said:
Okay, so.. wow. I am overwhelmed. I guess I should do with the basics at first (the game hits my country at May 22), and read up on all the new Pokémon in an online Pokédex.

How many Pokémons can you travel around with? 6? Cause I am set to make up my starting team of Pokémons.

Yup, still 6. Not much has changed there.

Ravidrath

I'm completely out of PC room on my Platinum cart, so I'm going to have to stop importing from my GBA games until Ranch appears.

Any update on the Ranch update? :\

Ravidrath said:
I'm completely out of PC room on my Platinum cart, so I'm going to have to stop importing from my GBA games until Ranch appears.

Any update on the Ranch update? :\
There was a rumor that there was going to be an update for NA. But nothing came.

Phionoxx

I am looking to see if anyone would be willing to set aside time to trade some 'mons with me for a bit. I have a few pokemon that I would like to trade to get them to evolve (mainly scyther --> scizor), and then obviously trade them back.

If anyone else needs to do something similar, that works out great - otherwise I would appreciate any help.

My friend code is 2149 4931 9323.

Thanks

xSL4INx

shykyoichi said:
There was a rumor that there was going to be an update for NA. But nothing came.

I'm still waiting for this too. Nintendo did it so fast for Japan, but nothing here for U.S. users. Makes me sad :(

Insaniac

can someone explain to me very simply what Egg moves are? I want to get blaze kick on my bred Riolu, how do I do this? (I have a female Lucario and a male Infernape)

Firestorm

Insaniac said:
can someone explain to me very simply what Egg moves are? I want to get blaze kick on my bred Riolu, how do I do this? (I have a female Lucario and a male Infernape)
Breed a male Pokemon with Blaze Kick with a female Lucario. The child will inherit Blaze Kick from the father as long as Blaze Kick is an egg move of the child.

Insaniac

okay i don't have blaze kick, but I got an adamant natured Riolu, so I have one more noob question before I start EV training:

Does evolving my Riolu at level 1, or level 30 matter in terms of stat growth? or will the stat change when it evolves into lucario be the same?

Jiggy

Insaniac said:
Does evolving my Riolu at level 1, or level 30 matter in terms of stat growth? or will the stat change when it evolves into lucario be the same?
It'll be the same no matter when you evolve.

Teknoman

Hmm...

http://www.destructoid.com/would-you-play-a-pokemon-action-game--132781.phtml

"Yes, I have thought of doing something new, and it makes me very excited to think of new elements for the game," said game director Junichi Masuda to Game Informer. "... This is just an idea but ... as you know, Pokémon is a role-playing game. But, personally, I really like the action type of games, so we just talk about that sometimes. We probably want to add some kind action element to the game."

Jiggy

They'd need some serious brainstorm sessions to figure out how to make Pokemon like Slowbro and Snorlax not worthless in an action RPG, as well as making Agility and Ninjask not broken. Unless it was just a minimal timed mechanic thing, but I'm trying to ignore that possibility because so far I've disliked those 80% of the time. (Mother 3 and Baten Kaitos 1 defending being the 20% that worked for me.)

Personally, I'm all for a Pokemon action RPG, but only if kept in the context of a spinoff series.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Go play Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger or something. The core series would straight up lose its charm as an action game.

Jiggy said:
They'd need some serious brainstorm sessions to figure out how to make Pokemon like Slowbro and Snorlax not worthless in an action RPG, as well as making Agility and Ninjask not broken. Unless it was just a minimal timed mechanic thing, but I'm trying to ignore that possibility because so far I've disliked those 80% of the time. (Mother 3 and Baten Kaitos 1 defending being the 20% that worked for me.)

Personally, I'm all for a Pokemon action RPG, but only if kept in the context of a spinoff series.

Iunno about Action RPG, but what if they basically spun off the Smash Bros engine and made a Pokemon game with combat reminiscent of the anime?

Firestorm

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Iunno about Action RPG, but what if they basically spun off the Smash Bros engine and made a Pokemon game with combat reminiscent of the anime?
Would be a fun, but probably broken and shallow, spin-off series. Would be horrible for the main games though.

Jiggy

Super Smash Pokemon in theory is one of my three biggest dream crossovers of series with different mechanics and settings. In practice it would basically be what Firestorm said, because there's no way around it: any kind of real-time Pokemon game would have to be severely limited in Pokemon selection or moveset diversity (per character), if not both. I'd still buy it without hesitation, though--and that's even assuming its gameplay turned out like my least favorite of the three Smash games.

Jiggy said:
Super Smash Pokemon in theory is one of my three biggest dream crossovers of series with different mechanics and settings. In practice it would basically be what Firestorm said, because there's no way around it: any kind of real-time Pokemon game would have to be severely limited in Pokemon selection or moveset diversity (per character), if not both. I'd still buy it without hesitation, though--and that's even assuming its gameplay turned out like my least favorite of the three Smash games.
Though wouldn't it be difficult to make since there are now 400+ PKMNs in existence?

For anyone with a Roselia, which move is better, Aromatherapy or Synthesis? I would have gone with Synthesis straight away but as its dependent upon the weather, I don't want to have to teach her Sunny Day for maximum HP restoration. Is it any good in normal weather conditions?

Just trying to decide on the final move set before I evolve her into Roserade.

God damn the GTS is stupid. Why the hell won't it let me trade pokemon I'm seeking?

There's a Lucario I want, dude wants Mr Mime, which I have, yet Mime is faded out, I cannot select it..

rdellw

EV training question: You know those EV boosting items that add 4 EVs to one stat, what happens if for example, i battle a pokemon which naturally gives 2 defence EVs, but while holding the item that gives 4 special def EVS, do i gain 2 def and 4 sp def? Do i even gain the extra EVs at all? cheers.

Dabookerman said:
God damn the GTS is stupid. Why the hell won't it let me trade pokemon I'm seeking?

I'm not sure myself, but my best guess is that it's related to the GTS exploit that's currently ruining the system right now - basically, folks use Pokesav to spoof a different pokemon's ID (you'll usually see this because it may say "Alakazam" but then be, say, Lugia artwork.) There are ones without the art tell though, so I'm not sure what's going on with that either.

It sucks that Nintendo isn't doing more to police the GTS server, but unfortunately it's probably just people screwing up the system.

I probably have some spare lv.60+ pokemon, btw...but my hours for pokemon wifi are pretty irregular. :/

Crazymoogle said:
I'm not sure myself, but my best guess is that it's related to the GTS exploit that's currently ruining the system right now - basically, folks use Pokesav to spoof a different pokemon's ID (you'll usually see this because it may say "Alakazam" but then be, say, Lugia artwork.) There are ones without the art tell though, so I'm not sure what's going on with that either.

It sucks that Nintendo isn't doing more to police the GTS server, but unfortunately it's probably just people screwing up the system.

I probably have some spare lv.60+ pokemon, btw...but my hours for pokemon wifi are pretty irregular. :/

Yeah ;x Just don't want to spend ages grinding.

rdellw said:
EV training question: You know those EV boosting items that add 4 EVs to one stat, what happens if for example, i battle a pokemon which naturally gives 2 defence EVs, but while holding the item that gives 4 special def EVS, do i gain 2 def and 4 sp def? Do i even gain the extra EVs at all? cheers.

2 def and 4 sp def

Dabookerman said:
Does anyone want to offer me a Lv 60+ poke for a Manaphy?

If not, anyone know of a good grinding area, pre Elite Four?

I have a 60+ pokemon, but like Moogle, my hours are screwed up. maybe this weekend, if you can wait a couple of days, I will have one for ya.

I am currently grinding in Stark Mtn, with that trainer following me. Levelling up my Altaria, and it is getting boring.

I'm alright now, I realised the only thing you lose by losing at the Elite Four is a few thousand pokemon money. the equivalent of 1 win. So I will just grind it.

Top Bottom