• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
Insaniac said:
would you say surf over hydropump?

Also is toxic spikes worth hanging on to?
Depends on your preference. Surf for accuracy; Hydropump for power.

Toxic Spikes is great on Tentacruel if he's for support. But I thought you requested a Special Sweeper moveset?

Insaniac

shykyoichi said:
Depends on your preference. Surf for accuracy; Hydropump for power.

Toxic Spikes is great on Tentacruel if he's for support. But I thought you requested a Special Sweeper moveset?

This is true, so I guess I'll ditch the toxic spikes.

Insaniac said:
This is true, so I guess I'll ditch the toxic spikes.
Btw, is Tentacruel your fav? There's lots of better water PKMN for the Special Sweeper role.

Also, it's better if Tentacruel have Liquid Ooze.

Hero

Maybe some of you hardcore guys can help me beat my one friend. Last night his level 100 Gengar wrecked me. I'm kind of stumped with the team I have right now to defeat him. I'm not really all that into the super EV training and stuff though I did try it on two of my Pokemon. I'm gonna list my Pokemon and stats and moves and maybe get a few suggestions.

Charizard from FireRed that I didn't put much thought into is at level 100
Relaxed nature.
HP 310
Attack 215
Defense 224
Sp. Atk 267
Sp. Def 184
Speed 238

Dragon Claw
Sunny Day
SolarBeam
Flamethrower

Zapdos from FireRed, again not much thought about him. Level 65
Modest nature.
HP 206
Attack 142
Defense 138
Sp. Atk 199
Sp. Def 147
Speed 174

Thunder Wave
Thunder
Fly
Light Screen

Now back when Diamond came out I looked up a little EV training and all that so I tried doing it with a new Charizard.

Adamant nature, level 91.
HP 266
Defense 155
Sp. Atk 231
Sp. Def 187
Speed 228

Earthquake
Flare Blitz
Belly Drum
Flamethrower

And same with a Heracross I put some training into

Adamant Nature, level 86.
HP 254
Attack 323
Defense 144
Sp. Atk 81
Sp. Def 195
Speed 223

Megahorn
Reversal
Close Combat
Endure

Off the bat my level 100 Charizard probably is really bad and I don't think my Zapdos is very good either. What are some good, balanced movesets I can give them?

With my new Charizard I think Flare Blitz is kind of redundant. And Heracross having both Reversal and Close Combat with Endure seems kind of weird.

So if anyone could give me some suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it! Like I said, right now my friend's level 100 Gengar is completely wrecking my day.

Oh, and I want to round out my team a little bit. I remember before I stopped playing I wanted a particular Staryu/Starmie. He's a good Water Pokemon, right? Or would Milotic be a better choice? I was also considering an Espeon or Umbreon.

Jiggy

Charizard: Substitute over Flamethrower, Fire Punch over Flare Blitz. Flare Blitz is just going to end Charizard's reign even quicker due to the recoil.

Heracross: drop Endure/Reversal, replace with Night Slash and Stone Edge (or if you really don't like SE's accuracy, Rock Slide). Heracross won't go down in one hit to Gengar without a critical, but Gengar is likely to be gone. Too many new priority moves in D/P to get by with Endure strategies for long, and also

Zapdos: I really don't know much about Zapdos, but Thunder Wave and Light Screen both stop a Gengar sweep and you should be safe to set them up since Gengar can't OHKO Zapdos even with its strongest possible attack (Modest nature, Choice Specs held, Sludge Bomb used). Get rid of Fly for practically anything else since it sucks, with Roost being a decent option.

Starmie: is great. Go for it. Be aware that Ice Beam/Thunderbolt, a rather popular pairing of attacks, will be able to hit super-effective on three of four Pokemon--but that can be taken care of with whatever else you add. Doesn't make Starmie a poor choice, either, since adding one gives you a safe switch-in against Surfs meant for Charizard, Psychics and Flamethrowers and Fire Punches meant for Heracross, and Ice Beams meant for Zapdos.

Hero

Thanks Jiggy, just a few questions

Jiggy said:
Charizard: Substitute over Flamethrower, Fire Punch over Flare Blitz. Flare Blitz is just going to end Charizard's reign even quicker due to the recoil.
Can Charizard learn Fire Punch? I thought I remember I read somewhere that he can only learn it in Emerald or something. And Substitute is to protect my Charizard while also letting his HP drop to activate Salac Berry, right?

Zapdos: I really don't know much about Zapdos, but Thunder Wave and Light Screen both stop a Gengar sweep and you should be safe to set them up since Gengar can't OHKO Zapdos even with its strongest possible attack (Modest nature, Choice Specs held, Sludge Bomb used). Get rid of Fly for practically anything else since it sucks, with Roost being a decent option.
Yeah, I think the issue was my Zapdos was only level 65 going against a level 100.
Starmie: is great. Go for it. Be aware that Ice Beam/Thunderbolt, a rather popular pairing of attacks, will be able to hit super-effective on three of four Pokemon--but that can be taken care of with whatever else you add. Doesn't make Starmie a poor choice, either, since adding one gives you a safe switch-in against Surfs meant for Charizard, Psychics and Flamethrowers and Fire Punches meant for Heracross, and Ice Beams meant for Zapdos.

Gotcha. What type of moveset would you suggest for Starmie?

And also I hear Blissey is a great tank. But I'm not sure if that will go well with my Heracross/Charizard's sweeping.

Firestorm

Yeah you can't learn Fire Punch anymore. I dunno if Belly Drum is for your Charizard. You could try a Choice Band Charizard? Check out the Analyses on http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ I remember a lot of different movesets for Charizard there.

Also screw you Jiggy Fly is awesome :(

Yes get rid of Fly on Zapdos. I'd give him Thunderbolt over Thunder as well.

Starmie is smecksy <3 Use that.

Hero

Firestorm said:
Yeah you can't learn Fire Punch anymore. I dunno if Belly Drum is for your Charizard. You could try a Choice Band Charizard? Check out the Analyses on http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ I remember a lot of different movesets for Charizard there.

Also screw you Jiggy Fly is awesome :(

Yes get rid of Fly on Zapdos. I'd give him Thunderbolt over Thunder as well.

Starmie is smecksy <3 Use that.

I have two Charizards listed, the first one is a junk raised one from Fire Red. The other one I raised with EVs and stuff to maximize its stats, or at least I think. Are its stats for a level 91 low for a Bellydrummer?

Wes

venison crêpe
How much am I hindering myself by not getting traded pokemon to raise?

I don't fancy changing my routers encryption system to WEP just so I can trade :|

Hero said:
Thanks Jiggy, just a few questions

Can Charizard learn Fire Punch? I thought I remember I read somewhere that he can only learn it in Emerald or something. And Substitute is to protect my Charizard while also letting his HP drop to activate Salac Berry, right?
If your opponent is using SR, make sure charizad's HP is an odd number. SR's damage + BD leaves 1 hp and activates salac. If there's no SR user, make sure your HP is
divisible by 4, for maximum efficiency of salac.

Hero said:
Gotcha. What type of moveset would you suggest for Starmie?
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Psychic

Special Sweeper Stamie. Modest or Timid. Depends on your overall strategy.

Hero said:
And also I hear Blissey is a great tank. But I'm not sure if that will go well with my Heracross/Charizard's sweeping.
Blissey is the best special tank. Though Machamp doesn't fear Blissey.

I managed to capture all 28 Unown yesterday. Do I get to do anything special with them?

Other than getting a shitty rare candy above the ruins ;p

Dabookerman said:
I managed to capture all 28 Unown yesterday. Do I get to do anything special with them?

Other than getting a shitty rare candy above the ruins ;p

You get to write obscene messages in pokeseals? Althought you only really need F,U,C,K,Y,E,A,H to do the best one.

Hero

Anybody around right now that might be able to trade me a good Starmie or Garchamp? Need it for regionals tomorrow, decided to participate last minute.

Hey GAF I am in a dilemma right now.

I'm trying to breed a Choiced special sweeper Froslass. I've hatched two potential candidates. One has perfect SpAtk and Speed IVs, but the other ones aren't anything to write home about, and it has something around 8 HP IVs. The other one has "relatively superior" IVs across the board in all categories except for speed, which is abysmal.

Should I keep one of those two dudes or keep trying to breed a better one while crying myself to sleep every night?

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Hey GAF I am in a dilemma right now.

I'm trying to breed a Choiced special sweeper Froslass. I've hatched two potential candidates. One has perfect SpAtk and Speed IVs, but the other ones aren't anything to write home about, and it has something around 8 HP IVs. The other one has "relatively superior" IVs across the board in all categories except for speed, which is abysmal.

Should I keep one of those two dudes or keep trying to breed a better one while crying myself to sleep every night?
Since it's a Sp Sweeper, SpAtk and Spd are its vital stats. Sweepers aren't expected to last; they just need to hit - hard and fast.

Two more questions.

Unlike in the real world, Trick won't permanently switch your hold item with the other Pokemon in the Battle Frontier and in trainer battles, right?

Also, I'm trying to flesh out a moveset for Gallade to round out my team.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Surf
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Bomb
Blizzard (kind of impossible for me to get Rapid Spin lolz)

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Trick

Gardevoir @ ???
Psychic
Will-o-Wisp
Wish
Focus Blast

Milotic @ Leftovers
Surf
Ice Beam
Recover
Hypnosis

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Aerial Ace

Gallade @ Life Orb
Swords Dance
???
???
???

Probably going to give him Close Combat and Night Slash at the very least. I also want to give him Leaf Blade since I really hate Water/Ground types, but apparently that's not recommended?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I picked Plat back up recently to finish off a few singleplayer odds and ends and continue working toward a complete Pokedex.

My in-game team of six are all up to level 82. I don't think I've ever gotten close to that level for an entire team in previous versions, especially without the boosted exp from trades.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Surf
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Bomb
Blizzard (kind of impossible for me to get Rapid Spin lolz)
Ice Beam > Blizzard unless you use a Hailstorm team.

Also, is Tentacruel your lead?

Neo Child

Banned
Looking to TRADE!

I can offer Electabuzz, Feebas and Mudkip eggs.

I would like any starters from Kanto aswell as chikorita and cyndaquil and torchic.

nli10

IS Platinum automatically harder than Pearl? I seem to be actually loosing against people that aren't Gym Leaders occasuonally!

I did give myself a no trades, no starters, no legendaries all under 50 until fighting Elite 4 rule to keep it interesting though.

Just working on getting Quake on my Piloswine for the 8th Gym now.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Well in that case I haven't thought that far yet. I just kind of assumed a spiker/spinner would make for the best lead.
Well, like I said before, it depends on your team synergy. In the past, I have used an Electrode (opener) to inflict status before exploding and a Starmie (sweeper) to counter most of the usual leads. I also use Infernape to set up SR at the same time countering other leads.

Hey everyone, sorry for the bump but I had a question that I didn't think would warrant an entire new thread.

Basically, which Pokemon are seen as the most popular in Japan? I know Pikachu is pretty much the worldwide favorite but are there Pokemon that get more attention in Japan than in the US and vice versa?

Can you guys think of any examples?

DuckRacer

Wii Will Rock U said:
Hey everyone, sorry for the bump but I had a question that I didn't think would warrant an entire new thread.

Basically, which Pokemon are seen as the most popular in Japan? I know Pikachu is pretty much the worldwide favorite but are there Pokemon that get more attention in Japan than in the US and vice versa?

Jigglypuff?

Wii Will Rock U said:

Japanese boys love Lucario for some reason. Not so much here.

Blu_LED said:
Japanese boys love Lucario for some reason. Not so much here.
Yeah, I know Lucario is a way bigger hit in Japan than he is in America but I'm still trying to think of others.

Isn't Lopunny much more popular in Japan than in America?

Ashodin

I would figure Legendaries are more popular over here than any singular pokemon.

I bet Charizard is still a favorite, however.

Sixfortyfive

Wii Will Rock U said:
Isn't Lopunny much more popular in Japan than in America?
Somehow the American Pokefans mistook her forearms for boobs, so she's probably more popular here for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, I know.

Masked Man

I said wow
Still need one, Bookerman? I have a female Glameow, if you're interested. If you have a Surskit, that would be fabulous.

Name: Matt
FC: 1031 9881 3754

492 Pokemon seen, 492 Pokemon captured. Oh yeah!

Not only that, but I have one of each pokemon all in National Dex order all deposited in my PC.

Now to get 5 stars on my trainer card.

Sixfortyfive

Dabookerman said:
492 Pokemon seen, 492 Pokemon captured. Oh yeah!

Not only that, but I have one of each pokemon all in National Dex order all deposited in my PC.

Now to get 5 stars on my trainer card.
Ha! I'm going for the same, but a bit further behind. I still haven't completed RSE, so some of those legendaries have to wait.

I've been trying to get that star for the 100-win streak in the Battle Tower for the past few days. Close, but no cigar. My last run ended with a curb-stomping from a Trick Room Hypnosis Dream Eater Bronzong in match 76. Stupid Battle Tower and its stupid lack of stupid Sleep Clause. ò_ó

It's weird. Back in the RBY days I always lost interest and dropped the game around the point where I'd have 100 or so in the Pokedex, but now I'm determined to fill the whole damn thing up for the first time even though it's much more of a hassle to do now.

Masked Man

I said wow
'Grats, 'Bookerman! :D I'm only at about 455, but I'm slowly making my way up there. Perhaps the sad thing is that the only legendary that I need is Entei; the rest are just various evolutions of Pokémon that I haven't had the time or patience to raise yet. =/

Cirruss

Currently playing this for the first time, haven't played a pokemon game since Yellow, all this new content feels so awesome.

Currently just finished the distortion world and captured Giratina and the 3 legendary pokemon have gone back to their caves on their respective lakes. I've already captured 2 of them (took me like 45 mins of just throwing various balls at them while they were on one hp) but all that's left is Mespirit being a bitch to catch. Can i just leave it and come back to it after I finish the 8th Gym and Elite Four or is now my only chance to catch it?

Blizzard

Banned
I hadn't played Pokemon in forever, and I didn't even totally finish Diamond/Pearl (despite owning sealed extra copies of them, and some of the older GBA games). I have only played a tiny bit of Platinum, usually if I'm in the bathroom or something. I just wanted to say that the music is actually nice in some places. I've just been letting route 204 music play while I was surfing the web. :D

Masked Man

I said wow
Cirruss said:
Currently playing this for the first time, haven't played a pokemon game since Yellow, all this new content feels so awesome.

Currently just finished the distortion world and captured Giratina and the 3 legendary pokemon have gone back to their caves on their respective lakes. I've already captured 2 of them (took me like 45 mins of just throwing various balls at them while they were on one hp) but all that's left is Mespirit being a bitch to catch. Can i just leave it and come back to it after I finish the 8th Gym and Elite Four or is now my only chance to catch it?

You and my brother should commiserate. :lol He's long since finished the Elite Four in his copy of Diamond--probably two years ago at this point, and he still hasn't caught Mesprit.

Masked Man said:
'Grats, 'Bookerman! :D I'm only at about 455, but I'm slowly making my way up there. Perhaps the sad thing is that the only legendary that I need is Entei; the rest are just various evolutions of Pokémon that I haven't had the time or patience to raise yet. =/

I guess you could say I caught themm all pretty quick. 145 hours I've hit on platinum.

But then, I had completed Ruby, Leaf Green and Colloseum. So I had easy access to most. Plus I had all the other carts. I pretty much stripped all those games of all their pokemon lol.

I also received a Pokemon from gts on my pearl cart that had an Azure flute attached to it...

So I uh got myself a semi hacked Arceus. So that's all 493. Neato. I got legit Shaymin and Darkrai, event pokeys.
05072009361.jpg

05072009362.jpg

Also!
My Articuno with its Sheer Cold/Mind Reader combo overcame the battle tower.. thank god for that really...

05072009360.jpg

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just got a dsi and platinum, and I was wondering if anyone had any cool baby pokes they could throw me?

anything like bulbasaur, mudkip, modest abra, ghastly, adamant machop, skiploom, eevee, dratini, scyther, calm/bold chikorita(sp), adamant parasect, cool pokes in general?

Does anyone have extras of the legit event Shaymin and Darkrai? I never got to go to the events...

I have 490/493 (actually in the boxes too!) so those two would be awesome to have.

How can I tell if all of the super-rares I've got are legit?
-The Mew has OT MYSTRY: ID 06930. (Got it from GTS)
-Lugia has OT ASH: ID 63057. (I think it might be from Pokemon XD. It's the main one I am worried about, got it off GTS)
-Ho-oh I got myself from Coliseum GCN.
-Celibi has OT 10 ANIV: ID 00010. (Got it from GTS)
-Jirachi has OT WISHMKR: ID 20043. (Got it from GTS)
-Deoxys I got from the GameStop event.

Can anyone help me find the real deals if any of these are fake?

Everyone else I caught myself (the 500+ hours across games is proof)! I can help you guys out with anything I can get eggs from.

FSLink

Banned
Dabookerman said:

So how much extra room do you have after having 1 of every Pokemon in National Dex order? I was thinking about doing this, and perhaps have each Pokemon eventually be EV Trained (with baby Pokemon up to Lv5 with Egg moves to use in Little Cups and such)

Top Bottom