• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
Thought I would give everyone a heads up in the UK there is going to be a regigigas event for platinum over the next 2 months, this regigigas unlocks special areas in platinum so you can find regirock,ice and steel.

Sunderland air show 25th-26th july
Nottingham river festival 31st july-2nd August
Bristol ballon fiesta 6th-9th August
Eastbourne airshow 13th-16th August
Weymouth carnival 18th-19th August
Liverpool one shopping center 22nd-24th August
Braehead shopping center (glasgow) 28th-31st August
Westfield shopping center derby 3rd-7th september

Closest to London is the Eastbourne one which is still abit far for a non driver

kyo_daikun said:
Thought I would give everyone a heads up in the UK there is going to be a regigigas event for platinum over the next 2 months, this regigigas unlocks special areas in platinum so you can find regirock,ice and steel.

Closest to London is the Eastbourne one which is still abit far for a non driver

Yeah.. I mean seriously.. what the fucking fuck..

What the hell is wrong with wifi distribution.. that's what it's there for. Nutters.

OMG Aero

kyo_daikun said:

Wow, they had such a good coverage of locations with the Shaymin distribution before and then for this one decide to just throw that out the window.
Thankfully it's just Regigigas and not an event only Pokemon or I would rage.

larvi

Ondore said:
So has anyone here put up a good streak in the Battle Frontier? Specifically, the Battle Hall.

I was going in with a Salamence that supposedly put up a 300+ win streak:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Aqua Tail
~ Flamethrower (for Shedinja and Steels)
Adamant, max Attack/Speed, Focus Sash equipped.
My streak was at 99 when I got to the 10th level Rock type - Tyranitar (L92). It survives the Earthquake and gets a critical hit Stone Edge, then Sandstream takes out the last hit point. (insert rage here).

One mistake was leaving rock type until the near the end. The opponents get higher level in the Battle Hall as your streak increases so always get the types you are weak to done at the start. I did it with Garchomp and made sure I did ice/water/dragon/dark (for weaville) at the start and saved the types where I match up well such as fire for the end. That Tyranitar would have been a much lower level if you had done rock up front and most likely would have died to the EQ.

Rainstadt

Neo Member
I'm trying to put together a team to finally get me through the Elite Four and I've put a Rotom up on the roster. The only issue is that I want to make it into a Rotom-F so it gets blizzard. This puts me in a position to levitate over the quakes, smack Gallade with ghost attacks and just generally be an annoyance with Electric attacks.

The only issue is that I had the misfortune of purchasing the game far after the secret key was accessible. I believe that is a way to get the key from a friend, but I'm not 100% on this. Am I totally screwed?

Ondore

The only way to get the actual gift to do it yourself would be to get someone who got the Japanese gift to send it to you.

I can't recall off the top of my head if you can bring the alternate forms into the Wi-Fi trading area (if you traded Friend Codes) - I know it'll revert in the Union Room. If I could get on wi-fi I'd use my Key on it, but my router's b0rked.

mattso

would anyone be interested in battling sometime in the near future? I haven't battled an actual person in about a year now and I'm getting the itch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
mattso said:
would anyone be interested in battling sometime in the near future? I haven't battled an actual person in about a year now and I'm getting the itch.
I can do it right now if you like. None of my teams are particularly good though.

EDIT: Friend code is 2750-6983-3519.

mattso

Sixfortyfive said:
I can do it right now if you like. None of my teams are particularly good though.

EDIT: Friend code is 2750-6983-3519.
my ds is currently in the mail from being repaired. I believe it should come back tomorrow so I will post my friend code then and hopefully we can battle.

mattso

got my ds back and spent some time in the battle factory to get back into the swing of things

2449-4094-4391

my friend code. send me a pm or post on here when you wanna go at it

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Looking for mudkip/diglet. Have a few things to give, and if the natures were relaxed, and jolly respectably I might be persuaded to part with the impish (best possible nature) giratina I caught today. Not really interested in the whole uber metagame, so I don't put much value on it.

edit: just looking for a diglet now. Jolly would be amazing, but any will work.

larvi said:
That Tyranitar would have been a much lower level if you had done rock up front and most likely would have died to the EQ.
larviavatar.jpg

Aren't you supposed to say Tyranitar would win, no matter what?

FootNinja said:
just looking for a diglet now. Jolly would be amazing, but any will work.
I can get you a Diglett today or tomorrow. It won't be jolly (just whatever I randomly get) so you might want someone else to do it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
UltimateIke said:
larviavatar.jpg

Aren't you supposed to say Tyranitar would win, no matter what?

I can get you a Diglett today or tomorrow. It won't be jolly (just whatever I randomly get) so you might want someone else to do it.
Random diglett is fine, and I should get off work around 11-12pm new york time.

movie_club

Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here it goes. As a kid i was huge into pokemon but only played R/B/Y. Recently i bought a GB micro and leaf green and i am loving it up. I want to get into the series and plan on playing emerald next. However my question is i know the games are very deep if you want them to be for example EVs and breeding an so on. So how do i learn about things like this?

Also i see alot of people mentioning Action Replay and pokesav. Is cheating acceptable in the poke community?

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

That should give you all the basics on the in-depth stuff. I'd also recommend picking up Platinum sometime down the road since they give you a lot of tools to do things that'd normally you'd have to hack to figure out or take copious amounts of time to do (effort ribbons, HP checker, IV rater, etc)

As for using AR/pokesav, everybody who takes competitive battling seriously does so on shoddybattle where they give their pokemon god stats anyways. If you're sticking to Nintendo games obviously cheating is frowned upon by the community, and Nintendo tournaments have some built-in cheat detection.

movie_club

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

That should give you all the basics on the in-depth stuff. I'd also recommend picking up Platinum sometime down the road since they give you a lot of tools to do things that'd normally you'd have to hack to figure out or take copious amounts of time to do (effort ribbons, HP checker, IV rater, etc)

As for using AR/pokesav, everybody who takes competitive battling seriously does so on shoddybattle where they give their pokemon god stats anyways. If you're sticking to Nintendo games obviously cheating is frowned upon by the community, and Nintendo tournaments have some built-in cheat detection.
Thanks for the link! will read over. But through battles or trades set up through GAF is everyone ok with receiving/battling pokemon that were gotten through "cheating" ?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
movie_club said:
Thanks for the link! will read over. But through battles or trades set up through GAF is everyone ok with receiving/battling pokemon that were gotten through "cheating" ?
Depends on the individual community and players.

Generally, if raising Pokemon the "real" way is too time-consuming for you, you should look into Shoddy Battle. But I personally don't care whether you hack or not so long as the hacks are legal (nothing that couldn't be done in the actual games in the first place).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
movie_club said:

If you don't want to go through the methods of breading (which can be fun and rewarding), you should probably just hop on Shoddy. I for one don't really want to play someone's perfectly IVed team with 'giveaway' movesets, and that are all shiny. Unless of course, they're real. :lol

movie_club said:
I'm not fond of cheating Pokemon games and I generally don't associate with people that do so, but if you aren't doing anything too obvious (a full shiny legendary team, using attacks not available to that Pokemon, etc.) most people won't hold it against you.

movie_club said:
sorry for being a newb, but what is shoddy?
An online simulator that you can download to do Pokemon battles. You get to choose everything instead of having to find it in the game and train the Pokemon. It's described in the link Cosmo Clock 21 gave you.

Ondore

Heads up for North American Platinum owners: They announced the dates for distributing the Member Card (item that unlocks Darkrai) over wi-fi today.

It's going to be August 3 to September 13. No word on TRU distribution as of yet. (Source).

Ondore said:
Heads up for North American Platinum owners: They announced the dates for distributing the Member Card (item that unlocks Darkrai) over wi-fi today.

It's going to be August 3 to September 13. No word on TRU distribution as of yet. (Source).
THIS HAD BETTER BE FOR DIAMOND AND PEARL TOO.

Ondore said:

Please distribute Shaymin next.

sn00zer

Bought Diamond for 5 bucks.....kinda regretting it
I was an AVID Blue player but now not recognizing any of the Pokemon, and playing a battle, walking, and text system that desperately needs a turbo button, on top of a very rudimentary story, I totally lost interest

Dear Nintendo,
I will buy every single Pokemon game you ever release if you release a 3D Open World Action RPG where you actually have to find the Pokemon instead of rolling a dice every time you walk through a bush

ismaboof

sn00zer said:
I was an AVID Blue player but now not recognizing any of the Pokemon, and playing a battle, walking, and text system that desperately needs a turbo button, on top of a very rudimentary story, I totally lost interest

Dear Nintendo,
I will buy every single Pokemon game you ever release if you release a 3D Open World Action RPG where you actually have to find the Pokemon instead of rolling a dice every time you walk through a bush

I feel the same way

I jumped from generation to generation, but began losing interest after the G/S/C one. Ruby was cool and I dumped 60 hours into it, but Diamond? I got it two years ago and have maybe 25? I got grossly addicted until Mt. Cornet. I fucking hate Mt. Cornet I cannot figure out where to go. If only I was in elementary school again I'd kick that game's ass.

OMG Aero said:
The Pokemon website is only mentioning Platinum.
That doesn't make sense though. That same item is available for use in Diamond and Pearl too. If this sets a precedent where they don't give me the flute for Arceus, I'll be sooooooooo very pissed.

Teknoman

With so many games coming out and Platinum essentially being the third version (been through it for the most part) it's gotten run over as far as playtime goes :lol Keep saying i'll get back into it...but this time I mean it.That being said, Black Wind, I have your egg now. Sorry about the wait.

EDIT: I'm sure it'll be for all 3 versions. I mean all 3 have wi-fi mystery gift.

TP

Heads up, the Member Card is now available to US Platinum owners
Aug 3 to Sep 13

Bulbapedia said:
The Member Card, an event-only key item that allows players to go to Newmoon Island to encounter the legendary Pokémon Darkrai, will be distributed via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection from Aug. 3 to Sept. 13. This is the first time it will be distributed to players of the North American version of Pokémon Platinum.

In order to obtain Darkrai, players must have unlocked the National Pokédex in their Platinum game. They must have also approached Cresselia on Fullmoon Island and obtain the Lunar Wing when she leaves.

The Member Card can then be used outside the Harbor Inn in Canalave City. Upon entering, players will encounter a man who will send them sleeping. They will then wake up on Newmoon Island, where a Level 50 Darkrai will be available. It will know the moves Hypnosis, Faint Attack, Nightmare and Double Team. The event can be repeated if players flee or defeat Darkrai.

The key item was first distributed to players of the Japanese version of Platinum last Dec. 1 through Jan 15.

So I got the game at launch, played for 50 hours over the course of a week, then put it down at the 8th gym. What the hell is wrong with me? haha. I need to go back and finish it.

OMG Aero

UltimateIke said:
That doesn't make sense though. That same item is available for use in Diamond and Pearl too. If this sets a precedent where they don't give me the flute for Arceus, I'll be sooooooooo very pissed.
Nintendo are probably doing it to try and get Diamond and Pearl players to get Platinum otherwise they can't just get the legendary Pokemon over Wi-Fi.

Also it's worth saying that European Platinum games can also download the Darkrai item from today.

EzLink

Banned
Do you need Mystery Event unlocked for the Darkrai thing? I've never gotten around to it, and I don't even know how

~capsule

Neo Member
EzLink said:
Do you need Mystery Event unlocked for the Darkrai thing? I've never gotten around to it, and I don't even know how
You need the Mystery Gift to receive the Member's Card.

If you want to unlock it...
Go to 3rd floor of the Jubilife TV station and talk the guy next to the girl. Give him the phrase "Wi-Fi Connection" for one of the descriptions (can't remember which question, it's been a while since I did this). Then you'll have Mystery Gift as an option at the main menu when you start Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Darkrai is awesome. It only took me 50+ Pokeballs and one ultra ball to catch him :D.

EzLink

Banned
~capsule said:
You need the Mystery Gift to receive the Member's Card.

If you want to unlock it...
Go to 3rd floor of the Jubilife TV station and talk the guy next to the girl. Give him the phrase "Wi-Fi Connection" for one of the descriptions (can't remember which question, it's been a while since I did this). Then you'll have Mystery Gift as an option at the main menu when you start Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Darkrai is awesome. It only took me 50+ Pokeballs and one ultra ball to catch him :D.

Thanks dude!

Sonos

Banned
about time they did another wifi event.

I also got a Shiny Ccroagunk on the first wild one I saw on Platinum. I think I'd save my poke-cartridge before my parents if both were caught in a house fire.

Teknoman

EzLink said:

Yeah, and its easy. Just check pokemon.com or serebii.net.

EDIT: Beaten.

Sonos

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yeah, and its easy. Just check pokemon.com or serebii.net.

EDIT: Beaten.

I've unlocked the mystery thing for the ROTOM key already. Do I need to do it again? Sorry...pokemon.com is so freakin slow to load it drives me crazy and serebii is difficult to navigate with the endless talk of pokemovies and cards.

Teknoman

Sonos said:
I've unlocked the mystery thing for the ROTOM key already. Do I need to do it again? Sorry...pokemon.com is so freakin slow to load it drives me crazy and serebii is difficult to navigate with the endless talk of pokemovies and cards.

Nope, once mystery gift is unlocked, its a permanent option.

sn00zer said:

Man you hit the nail on the head, except I had been an avid Pokemon player through G/S/C and R/S/E, and although I lost interest in FireRed a little quicker than the others, I was still pumped for D/P.

When I finally got a DS last year, Diamond was the first game I bought. By the time I was at the 3rd gym leader I was already getting bored. I managed to stick with it and beat the Elite 4 + catch all the legendaries, and after that I played maybe a few more times until I was thoroughly sick of Pokemon's gameplay. I also made the mistake of transferring all of my best Pokemon from my other games onto my Diamond, so now I can't even restart it (should I ever feel the need to give the game a second chance). :\

Dear Nintendo,

We have a winrar. Hell, I think Pokemon could even be pulled off as a MMORPG, but perhaps we shouldn't open that can of worms...

You don't need the national dex to get the member's card from wifi, right?

Like if I don't have it yet, I can still download the card, but won't be able to catch Darkrai until I get the national dex sometime down the line...

Sonos

Banned
Absoludacrous said:
You don't need the national dex to get the member's card from wifi, right?

Like if I don't have it yet, I can still download the card, but won't be able to catch Darkrai until I get the national dex sometime down the line...

You can dl the card because I did it before I originally got the dex with the ROTOM key event.

by the by, ROTOM is stupid without the key...totally kickin' with it.

Teknoman

Strange that there hasnt been another Wii Pokemon game yet. You'd think they would pair it with Platium...unless they're waiting for Soul Silver/Heart Gold.

OMG Aero

Teknoman said:
Strange that there hasnt been another Wii Pokemon game yet. You'd think they would pair it with Platium...unless they're waiting for Soul Silver/Heart Gold.
I think at the moment they are just spending their time on Wiiware Pokemon games.

Sonos

Banned
Teknoman said:

Stranger still is how they can't copy the success of their handheld Pokegames on their main console. Ever.

Make a typical Pokemon with Animal Crossing graphics and the typical junky nintendo online. Viola.

OMG Aero

Sonos said:
Stranger still is how they can't copy the success of their handheld Pokegames on their main console. Ever.
The problem is that when they make a console Pokemon game they just won't make a game like the handheld ones.
I think one of the devs said in an interview that they won't make a proper Pokemon game on a console because the point of the games is that you take the game out and trade with people in real life and make friends.

Ondore

Nailed it.

We asked Masuda if there was any chance that we would see the next major Pokémon game on the Wii and whether the series might go fully online, as many fans have expressed a desire for. He seemed skeptical. "At this point, we're not thinking of going in that direction. Trading is a core concept of Pokémon. So when you're trading, you meet with a friend and decide which one you want and which one they want. I would like to emphasize real-world communication. You don't see each other online."

That and if they add any more Pokemon to the series, they'd probably resort to using the My Pokemon Ranch models for it.

EzLink

Banned
Fuck guys, I need some help. I just got the Member's Card but the Inn in Canalave still won't open. Yes, I actually obtained the item in the game through the delivery man in the PokeMart, but nothing is different when I try to go in. What am I missing here?

Top Bottom