• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Ravidrath

UltimateIke said:
Does anyone have extras of the legit event Shaymin and Darkrai? I never got to go to the events...

I have 490/493 (actually in the boxes too!) so those two would be awesome to have.

How can I tell if all of the super-rares I've got are legit?
-The Mew has OT MYSTRY: ID 06930. (Got it from GTS)
-Lugia has OT ASH: ID 63057. (I think it might be from Pokemon XD. It's the main one I am worried about, got it off GTS)
-Ho-oh I got myself from Coliseum GCN.
-Celibi has OT 10 ANIV: ID 00010. (Got it from GTS)
-Jirachi has OT WISHMKR: ID 20043. (Got it from GTS)
-Deoxys I got from the GameStop event.

Can anyone help me find the real deals if any of these are fake?

Everyone else I caught myself (the 500+ hours across games is proof)! I can help you guys out with anything I can get eggs from.

Those 3rd gen event Pokemon are probably legit, although I can't really say for certain without seeing the IVs, etc. But just based on their OTs and IDs, they look legit - given the ease of cloning them, I'm not sure why someone would go through the trouble of hacking them, really.

I can provide all the event Pokemon for you tomorrow, if you like. I backed them all up on a Flash cart, so I can duplicate them whenever. So far, the event Pokemon released in the U.S. are...

Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Special Regigigas
Deoxys
Dragonite​

PM me if interested.

For trades, I'll take Bidoofs... but given the time it takes to generate these, if you have anything better it'd certainly be appreciated! I'm mostly interested in male Pokemon with interesting moves bred/trained/tutored onto them, but Pokemon with good natures, berries, TMs, etc. are all appreciated.

...If you can't spare any of that, then Bidoofs and Zubats, go, go - it's more about making me feel like you're not taking advantage of my good nature, than anything. :p

FSLink said:
So how much extra room do you have after having 1 of every Pokemon in National Dex order? I was thinking about doing this, and perhaps have each Pokemon eventually be EV Trained (with baby Pokemon up to Lv5 with Egg moves to use in Little Cups and such)

There are 540 slots, so you can do it, but it's tight... and without Ranch or something, it can be a major pain to actually do if you have any extra Pokemon at all around for trading, etc.

I wanted to do this on Platinum (I've done it on every game in the past), but I just don't have the room or the will to do it until Ranch gets Platinum support, because I'd have to trade every extra Pokemon by hand between my two DSes, and, uh... fuck that.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
bump for charity request.

Will take any uncommon to platinum baby pokemon. good natures preferred, but I am just looking for a simple hand out.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just finished the 2nd battle with Palmer in a thrilling bout of PP stalling. I lost Gengar to an unlucky freeze, so I had to stall with Togekiss until Cresselia Struggled herself to death.

I finished off Regigigas with 20 HP left! What an exciting conclusion!

FootNinja said:
bump for charity request.

Will take any uncommon to platinum baby pokemon. good natures preferred, but I am just looking for a simple hand out.
I've got everything so pick 6 Pokemon you want and I'll get you eggs (or hatch them for you). I can breed them with either a Modest or Adamant Ditto holding an Everstone, so make a request.

Edit: I should have joined PokéGAF sooner!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
UltimateIke said:
I've got everything so pick 6 Pokemon you want and I'll get you eggs (or hatch them for you). I can breed them with either a Modest or Adamant Ditto holding an Everstone, so make a request.

Edit: I should have joined PokéGAF sooner!
Wouldn't want you to waste time breeding anything, so whatever good/rare pokemon you have with a good battle nature on hand will do.

If I had to choose 6 I would probably pick snorlax, bulbasaur, milotic, gliscor, dratini, paras (adamant please)

once again, not going to be picky at all if you don't have these pokemon readily available with good natures.

FootNinja said:
Wouldn't want you to waste time breeding anything, so whatever good/rare pokemon you have with a good battle nature on hand will do.

If I had to choose 6 I would probably pick snorlax, bulbasaur, milotic, gliscor, dratini, paras (adamant please)

once again, not going to be picky at all if you don't have these pokemon readily available with good natures.
I can do Snorlax, Bulbasuar, Dritini, and adamant Paras. Breeding is no problem.
Milotic and Gliscor are too much!

I never give away the ones I have readily available though. I'm crazy about collecting everything and never trade away a Pokemon unless I have two of them. If I offer to give you Pokemon, it's because I'm willing to breed them.

Pick two more so we can do six. No evolutions!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
UltimateIke said:
I can do Snorlax, Bulbasuar, Dritini, and adamant Paras. Breeding is no problem.
Milotic and Gliscor are too much!

I never give away the ones I have readily available though. I'm crazy about collecting everything and never trade away a Pokemon unless I have two of them. If I offer to give you Pokemon, it's because I'm willing to breed them.

Pick two more so we can do six. No evolutions!
modest abra, jolly hoppip?(doesn't NEED to be jolly, but a hoppip in general would be nice.)

thanks again.

Ravidrath

rainking187 said:
Just curious, has Nintendo announced any more Wifi Mystery Gifts besides the Rotom key thing?

Not yet in the U.S., but Japan has had several.

So far, Japan has had...

Rotom Key
Darkrai Event Key
Shaymin Event Key
Jirachi​

So I'm trying to breed Dittos for Ravidrath, but the old man gives me the response that means they won't have eggs together. Is there something I'm forgetting about Ditto breeding? They are not inbred but do have the same trainer ID.

EDIT: Is it possible to breed Ditto? If not, I've got to bust out Emerald and find some Dittos!

Edit 2: F*ck Ditto. I looked it up. THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE RAVIDRATH. BUT IT SHALL BE DONE.

Edit 3: Ravidrath has shown mercy. There shall be no need for Dittos!

Ravidrath

UltimateIke said:
So I'm trying to breed Dittos for Ravidrath, but the old man gives me the response that means they won't have eggs together. Is there something I'm forgetting about Ditto breeding? They are not inbred but do have the same trainer ID.

EDIT: Is it possible to breed Ditto? If not, I've got to bust out Emerald and find some Dittos!

D'oh...

I swear I've bred them in the past? I'm fairly certain that two Dittos can breed, as long as they have different parents.

Edit: Guess I'm wrong... From Bulbapedia...
Ditto and Manaphy are the only Pokémon that are both able to breed yet unobtainable through breeding. Ditto, however, is the only one of the two that is not available at level 1 legally (legitimately the lowest level it is able to be is 10, in Generation II).

Thanks to Ravidrath I am now at 492/493! And I have the special event Dragonite and Regigigas.

Is there any word on when North America is going to get Arceus? I wish they'd Mystery Gift us the items so we could catch the Pokémon ourselves!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm just here to say, I actually have a disinterest in the (Shoddybattle/Smogon) metagame now, although I don't know if I'd call it hate. This coming from a guy with hundreds of IV bred/EV trained Pokemon, and thousands of hours in this generation. :lol

EvilMario said:
I'm just here to say, I actually have a disinterest in the (Shoddybattle/Smogon) metagame now, although I don't know if I'd call it hate. This coming from a guy with hundreds of IV bred/EV trained Pokemon, and thousands of hours in this generation. :lol
Maybe because you enjoy spending hundered of hours on breeding pkmn.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So I just read that ditto is only available with the national dex, in platinum. anyone have a ditto (nature doesn't matter) they could give me?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
bumping to say that I have a ditto now, but more importantly I could use the g/s/c starters desperately.

after that I should be too busy breeding to ask for anything.

FootNinja said:
bumping to say that I have a ditto now, but more importantly I could use the g/s/c starters desperately.

after that I should be too busy breeding to ask for anything.
Do you want my help again? I actually enjoy helping people get stuff. It only takes me ~20 minutes to get a few eggs.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
UltimateIke said:
Do you want my help again? I actually enjoy helping people get stuff. It only takes me ~20 minutes to get a few eggs.
I feel like a lame ass asking, but I would appreciate it. If you happen to have a seel I could really use that also.

So I've been working on upgrading my Diamond version trainer card (did a Master Rank super contest and captured 50 flags underground), and I've reached four stars (still need 100 Battle Tower wins).

And you know what?
Nurse Joy
scared the fuck out of me. I've talked to her thousands of times and she always says the same thing. Today
Joy
busts out with OMGWTFBBQ and starts saying crazy shit out of nowhere (or so I thought). I finally realize she was impressed with my Gold Card; she said she had seen lots of Silver Cards, but I was the awesomesauce for having a Gold Card.

When that conversation started out, I was certain she was going to say one of my Pokémon had died or some screwed up shit like that.

Now I want to know about the Silver Card. Had I talked to
Nurse Joy
when I got the Silver Card, would she have said something special then too? If I ever manage to get the final card, does anyone in the game react to it?

I also like how every time I use the
Pokémon Center
now,
Joy
greets me differently and asks me if I want the usual.

It's stuff like this that I love about these games. I've got 225 hours put into this game and still finding new stuff. <3

shykyoichi said:
Do other things besides PKMN?
Is that a supposed to be a question or a statement?

I like it. I play it (on average) about 2 hours a week. It's been out since April 2007.

Don't be hatin'.

Did you notice where I said Diamond version?

UltimateIke said:
Is that a supposed to be a question or a statement?

I like it. I play it (on average) about 2 hours a week. It's been out since April 2007.

Don't be hatin'.

Did you notice where I said Diamond version?
Both.:D
Why play Diamond when there's Platinum. /joke
Yes.

jrricky

Banned
OK, Im trying to get into this metagame (again after losing interest b/c of confusion).

What are the steps and tips? I searched the internet and found guides but they are vague on EV training.

I want questions answered like when EV training and my pokemon levels up, are the extra EVs that never made up a stat thrown out or carried over? Those things baffle me.

Can I have 3 EV spreads?

Is there any way to train a pokemons weaker stat and is there a point to?

Sixfortyfive

jrricky said:
OK, Im trying to get into this metagame (again after losing interest b/c of confusion).

What are the steps and tips? I searched the internet and found guides but they are vague on EV training.

I want questions answered like when EV training and my pokemon levels up, are the extra EVs that never made up a stat thrown out or carried over? Those things baffle me.

Can I have 3 EV spreads?

1) Every wild or trained Pokemon you defeat gives a specific number of EVs depending on its species. Magikarp gives 1 speed EV (regardless of its level, move list, or other stats), Bidoof gives 1 HP EV, etc.

2) EVs are carried over from level to level. It takes 4 EVs to increase a stat by one point. The full effect isn't obvious until level 100, though. For example, if you have 252 speed EVs on your Pokemon, then it will have 63 extra points in speed at level 100, but only about 31 or 32 extra points at level 50.

3) Do not actually level your Pokemon to level 100, though. Just use the in-game scaling function to auto-level your Pokemon to either 50 or 100 in multiplayer battles. Once a Pokemon reaches level 100 normally, he can no longer have his EVs changed.

4) You can split your 510 total EVs among each of the 6 stats however you choose, with no more than 255 points per single stat. Sometimes 252/252/4 is the best spread; sometimes it's best to split them between 3 or 4 stats. It really depends on the specific Pokemon and moveset.

5) Sometimes it's worth compensating for a Pokemon's weak points with EVs. Sometimes it's not. For example, Blissey has phenomenal special defense and HP but atrocious physical defense, and most Blisseys run 252 defense EVs to be able to shrug off at least some physical hits. Generally speaking, you should always use Natures to enhance a Pokemon's strength, while EVs can be used to either enhance those strengths further or cover their weaknesses. Again, this sort of stuff really depends on that particular Pokemon.

6) If you're actually going to start EV training, make sure to get Pokerus and the Power items as soon as possible in order to make it easier on yourself. Multiple EXP Shares can help as well if you want to train more than one guy at once.

jrricky said:
Yes, Blissey very much highlight this point.

Blissey's lowest stat is DEF. But giving it 252 Def EV points, you would boost its stat to a respectable level of 119 (assuming neutral trait).

jrricky

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
1) Every wild or trained Pokemon you defeat gives a specific number of EVs depending on its species. Magikarp gives 1 speed EV (regardless of its level, move list, or other stats), Bidoof gives 1 HP EV, etc.

2) EVs are carried over from level to level. It takes 4 EVs to increase a stat by one point. The full effect isn't obvious until level 100, though. For example, if you have 252 speed EVs on your Pokemon, then it will have 63 extra points in speed at level 100, but only about 31 or 32 extra points at level 50.

3) Do not actually level your Pokemon to level 100, though. Just use the in-game scaling function to auto-level your Pokemon to either 50 or 100 in multiplayer battles. Once a Pokemon reaches level 100 normally, he can no longer have his EVs changed.

4) You can split your 510 total EVs among each of the 6 stats however you choose, with no more than 255 points per single stat. Sometimes 252/252/4 is the best spread; sometimes it's best to split them between 3 or 4 stats. It really depends on the specific Pokemon and moveset.

5) Sometimes it's worth compensating for a Pokemon's weak points with EVs. Sometimes it's not. For example, Blissey has phenomenal special defense and HP but atrocious physical defense, and most Blisseys run 252 defense EVs to be able to shrug off at least some physical hits. Generally speaking, you should always use Natures to enhance a Pokemon's strength, while EVs can be used to either enhance those strengths further or cover their weaknesses. Again, this sort of stuff really depends on that particular Pokemon.

6) If you're actually going to start EV training, make sure to get Pokerus and the Power items as soon as possible in order to make it easier on yourself. Multiple EXP Shares can help as well if you want to train more than one guy at once.
Awesome thanks.

Ive been using the IV calculator and trying to understand its uses but I would appreciate it for some breakdown too like what are the effects of having a low IV in one stat and a higher one in the other.

Im also working with this thing called the Pokemon Netbattle Supremacy if anyone has heard of it.

Also I started EV training some pokemon in the middle of the game (the ones that I caught at the beginning, like my starter). Is that necessary and is their a way to gauge how many EVs have went into certain stats already?

One more thing, that weaker stat question pertained to its nature. The stat the decreases in growth 10%, is there a point to training it or is it a dead horse?

Thanks again.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
jrricky said:
Awesome thanks.

Ive been using the IV calculator and trying to understand its uses but I would appreciate it for some breakdown too like what are the effects of having a low IV in one stat and a higher one in the other.

Im also working with this thing called the Pokemon Netbattle Supremacy if anyone has heard of it.

Also I started EV training some pokemon in the middle of the game (the ones that I caught at the beginning, like my starter). Is that necessary and is their a way to gauge how many EVs have went into certain stats already?

One more thing, that weaker stat question pertained to its nature. The stat the decreases in growth 10%, is there a point to training it or is it a dead horse?

Thanks again.
The effects of one IV stat being higher are simply that the end stats will reflect the IV's. The stat will simply be higher if the IV is higher. One IV does not effect the other, and it is very possible to get all around high IV's.

Doubt you can check how many Ev's are in a stat already (without knowing the IV's,) and I don't think it makes too much of a difference i you start ev training a pokemon very late/only use it for in-game. If you plan on using a half ev trained pokemon for competitive battling, don't expect the pokemon to perform the way it should.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I want to start playing my Pokemon again, I have Pearl. But I totally forgot where I was. I have the 4th ( or 3rd? ) gym badge, and I don't know what to do next.

jrricky

Banned
FootNinja said:
The effects of one IV stat being higher are simply that the end stats will reflect the IV's. The stat will simply be higher if the IV is higher. One IV does not effect the other, and it is very possible to get all around high IV's.

Doubt you can check how many Ev's are in a stat already (without knowing the IV's,) and I don't think it makes too much of a difference i you start ev training a pokemon very late/only use it for in-game. If you plan on using a half ev trained pokemon for competitive battling, don't expect the pokemon to perform the way it should.
Well I now know the IVs (or close to what they are) of all the six pokemon in my team. The thing is I did the scaling to lvl100 thing and got the highest stats to calculate the IV but most of these dont exactly have EVs added to them.

Also should I just beat the game and start EV training?

Sixfortyfive

jrricky said:
Awesome thanks.

Thanks again.
IVs are pretty simple. If your guy has a 31 IV in HP, then he'll have 31 more hit points at level 100 than he would have if his IV was 0. Generally, the only IV stat (imo) worth being really picky about is speed, and only for sweepers (powerful attackers that might not be able to take many hits). Having a speed advantage of even a single point means that you still get to attack first in a turn, and that can be a pretty huge difference. For other stats, it's usually not too hard to compensate for low IVs by making up the difference with more EVs. I generally shoot for average IVs overall with 22 speed or higher (sometimes 31 if there are significant threats in the same speed tier).

Do not bother training Pokemon for competitive battling before you beat the singleplayer quest. Just don't. It's not worth it. You certainly don't need it to beat the game, and you will have access to more tools after the Elite Four to make the job easier.

If a Pokemon has a disadvantageous nature for competitive battling, then yeah, it's pretty much not worth using in any capacity besides passing on egg moves or IVs via breeding or something. Natures and EVs are typically the most important factors in a Pokemon's stats, and they can be easily manipulated. Bad IVs are harder to avoid, and they can typically be compensated for.

Harpuia

I know this is plat, but how do you guys level your pokemon to 100 in Diamond with out taking forever? Level 100 seems so far away for a team of 6 pokemon. :(

Harpuia said:
I know this is plat, but how do you guys level your pokemon to 100 in Diamond with out taking forever? Level 100 seems so far away for a team of 6 pokemon. :(
Find wild Chansey and have a Pokemon with Covet or Thief.

Beware though. My brother found one with a Lucky Egg in about 10 minutes; it took me 2 days.

Harpuia

UltimateIke said:
Find wild Chansey and have a Pokemon with Covet or Thief.

Beware though. My brother found one with a Lucky Egg in about 10 minutes; it took me 2 days.

The egg? How much EXP boost does it give?

Sixfortyfive

Harpuia said:
Any particular reason you want to do this? It's a lot harder to do this in Diamond/Pearl than in Plat, as there aren't any really high level trainers to smack around.

Harpuia said:
The egg? How much EXP boost does it give?
- Lucky Egg gives a 50% boost.
- NPC trainer Pokemon give 50% more EXP than wild Pokemon.
- Traded Pokemon get 50% more EXP than ones you catch/breed yourself.

All 3 effects stack, so you can get up to 2.5x the amount of normal EXP depending on the above conditions.

Harpuia

Sixfortyfive said:
Any particular reason you want to do this? It's a lot harder to do this in Diamond/Pearl than in Plat, as there aren't any really high level trainers to smack around.

I lack the Platinum. I could just trade my pokemon over to my brother's copy and train there though.

Sixfortyfive

Harpuia said:
I lack the Platinum. I could just trade my pokemon over to my brother's copy and train there though.
Yeah, but why do you want to level to 100 in the first place?

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, but why do you want to level to 100 in the first place?
Personally, there are always 6 Pokémon I train to 100 as my in-game team. They're there to dominate the Elite 4, etc. and carried while using Experience Share with others. Anything used for shitty metagame purposes only makes it to Level 50 (or whenever they stop learning attacks).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
SixFortyFive you seem to know your stuff. Do you battle on shoddy? After I sold my diamond, I lost all my legit pokemon, so that's the only way I can battle until I raise my platinum teams, but I'd love to battle you.

Sixfortyfive

FootNinja said:
SixFortyFive you seem to know your stuff. Do you battle on shoddy? After I sold my diamond, I lost all my legit pokemon, so that's the only way I can battle until I raise my platinum teams, but I'd love to battle you.
I don't play on Shoddy (but am familiar with it), and I only make stupid gimmick teams that are only good against local friends who aren't super-serious about this stuff. I'm woefully inexperienced in actual play. I just read Pokemon threads on a couple forums and occasionally lurk at Smogon.

Wichu

Also, foreign Pokémon (those traded from a different language version, not just a different region version) gain an additional Exp. boost of 10% or 20% (can't remember exactly).
Also, you have your maths wrong; it's not 1 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5, it's 1 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5. Along with the foreign Exp. bonus, you can get roughly 4 times more Exp. than usual.

jrricky

Banned
Wow. Some great info here. I guess my metagame stops here until I beat this game. The thing is I am making this the definitive game of pokemon that I complete with all the sidequests, pokemon and collectibles done before the other version comes out.
I say that with all the other games too though. My planning fallacy strikes all the time and I hope it doesnt this time.

Ondore

So has anyone here put up a good streak in the Battle Frontier? Specifically, the Battle Hall.

I was going in with a Salamence that supposedly put up a 300+ win streak:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Aqua Tail
~ Flamethrower (for Shedinja and Steels)
Adamant, max Attack/Speed, Focus Sash equipped.
My streak was at 99 when I got to the 10th level Rock type - Tyranitar (L92). It survives the Earthquake and gets a critical hit Stone Edge, then Sandstream takes out the last hit point. (insert rage here).

Sixfortyfive

Unlucky criticals will do that. Such is the way of the Battle Hall.

Personally, I'd take Hydro Pump over Aqua Tail. I only ever used a water attack against Rhyperior, and Aqua Tail is a 2HKO whereas Hydro Pump is an OHKO.

Ondore said:
So has anyone here put up a good streak in the Battle Frontier? Specifically, the Battle Hall.

I was going in with a Salamence that supposedly put up a 300+ win streak:
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Aqua Tail
~ Flamethrower (for Shedinja and Steels)
Adamant, max Attack/Speed, Focus Sash equipped.
My streak was at 99 when I got to the 10th level Rock type - Tyranitar (L92). It survives the Earthquake and gets a critical hit Stone Edge, then Sandstream takes out the last hit point. (insert rage here).
Why not use Draco Meteor over Outrage?
Blu_LED said:
Any reason why there have been no more WiFi Mystery Gifts in the US?
NoA.

Top Bottom