• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
So who are you all picking for your starter?

Went with Turtwig in this game since I've already chose Chimchar (Pearl) and Piplup (Diamond) before. :D

Captain N

Does the new guide book have every single Pokemon in the series covered in there? I would also like it if the guide book showed which spots are good to get rare Pokemon and all that jazz.

Wilsongt

Captain N said:
Does the new guide book have every single Pokemon in the series covered in there? I would also like it if the guide book showed which spots are good to get rare Pokemon and all that jazz.

The guide is a behemoth with a wealth of information, so yeah, it includes both a Sinnoh and complete Pokedex, as well as places to catch rare Pokemon and such.

Firestorm

Does the guide list the actual base stats for the Pokemon or is it a useless pile of crap where it uses some imprecise visual star thingy.

Blu_LED said:
So does Serebii, but its free. :/
So is the guide if you buy the game at Best Buy Canada =P

Captain N

Blu_LED said:
So does Serebii, but its free. :/

True..but Serebii doesn't come with free stickers!

About how many hours does it take to get all the badges so your Pokemon will listen to you no matter what level they are at during the game.

1. Er...there's a pamphlet with the game itself describing how to switch Rotom.
2. Oh god why am I doing this to myself again? Wasn't 492hrs enough!? :lol
3. Firestorm, I hate your bellyzard team so much. :lol

Wilsongt

Captain N said:

About how many hours does it take to get all the badges so your Pokemon will listen to you no matter what level they are at during the game.

Well, it took me about 40 hours to beat Diamond... And the Pokemon you catch and train will obey you no matter what... It's the Pokemon that you trade that won't obey you unless you have the badges, I believe...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Captain N said:
0. If you don't use Pokemon from trades, anyway.

I don't know how long it takes normal people to beat D/P/Pt, as I usually take my sweet time with it.

Touchdown

Banned
Captain N said:

I remember it took me about 45-50 hours to get all the badges and finish the game(Pear Version)

Firestorm

Crazymoogle said:
1. Er...there's a pamphlet with the game itself describing how to switch Rotom.
2. Oh god why am I doing this to myself again? Wasn't 492hrs enough!? :lol
3. Firestorm, I hate your bellyzard team so much. :lol
Bellyzard? Bellymander's where it's at!

Captain N said:

Unless you received them in a trade, they should be fine. Otherwise you need all 8 badges. I'd recommend taking Pokemon you receive in trades and breeding them. Hatch the egg and it's yours. I think I beat the game in 20 hours, spent 80 hours breeding, and the rest battling online.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any way to make up for all of those Pokemon Events over the years that most of us skipped? I'm talking specifically about the special Pokemon that Nintendo has given out in the past...

Jiggy

I think I tend to blaze through in under twenty hours, but that's because the only things I care about catching are TMs so that I can get to the multiplayer.

Edit: "A MAGIKARP living for many years can leap a mountain using Splash. The move remains useless, though." Welcome to Pokemon, where the scale of strength is so obscene that mountain-leaping power does no damage!

Mejilan

:lol

When listing out the main differences between Pokemon Platinum and Diamond/Pearl, I think people failed to mention the most profound one.

Platinum fucking shrieks at you when you leave the title screen! o_O

Just picked up the guide book from Barnes and Noble since I already own the import Platinum and have since February.

This guide is about 650 pages and pure awesome.

Also, to answer some of the questions previously posted:

1. I'm 19 and loving the games still. Nostalgia may be a factor but damn am I still having fun.

2. You can catch Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno without having to do any stupid game switching in this one.

Captain N

Mejilan said:
:lol

When listing out the main differences between Pokemon Platinum and Diamond/Pearl, I think people failed to mention the most profound one.

Platinum fucking shrieks at you when you leave the title screen! o_O

It almost sounded like I was starting up Metroid.

Cynar

Wii Will Rock U said:
Just picked up the guide book from Barnes and Noble since I already own the import Platinum and have since February.

This guide is about 650 pages and pure awesome.

Also, to answer some of the questions previously posted:

1. I'm 19 and loving the games still. Nostalgia may be a factor but damn am I still having fun.

2. You can catch Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno without having to do any stupid game switching in this one.

650 pages? Can you link to the guide so I know which one to look out for? :lol *Wants*

Teknoman

Mejilan said:
Any way to make up for all of those Pokemon Events over the years that most of us skipped? I'm talking specifically about the special Pokemon that Nintendo has given out in the past...

As in legendaries? Or just pokemon with special movesets? Also Nintendo should've included a way to get Deoxys in Platinum. Considering the the environments of Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina...you'd think Deoxys would be an obvious addition.

Ravidrath

Mejilan said:

I'm duping them for people - hit me up in PM if you're interested.

Er, give me a bit, though - I just got home with Platinum, and would like to start building my list on there, which means I'll need to beat the first Gym.

Cynar said:
650 pages? Can you link to the guide so I know which one to look out for? :lol *Wants*
I just took picture of the one I bought so you guys know what to look out for.

Front Cover:

Photo1-1-1.jpg

The Book's Binding Width:

Photo2-1-1.jpg

Mejilan

Ravidrath said:
I'm duping them for people - hit me up in PM if you're interested.

Er, give me a bit, though - I just got home with Platinum, and would like to start building my list on there, which means I'll need to beat the first Gym.

How do you do that, exactly?

Ravidrath

Mejilan said:
How do you do that, exactly?

When I downloaded them from the store, I downloaded them to a CycloDS. I then backed up the saved game, so I can generate more at any time.

Takes a little while for me to dupe them (lots of copying saves), but you're guaranteed a totally unique Pokemon, rather than an exact copy of something I already had.

Mejilan

Kickass. I have a CycloDS Evolution. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to package the save(s) up and upload/email them to me? Pwetty pwease?

Mejilan

I'm wrapping up DQV... it'll probably take me another few days to finish, but once I'm done and I get a grip on what generating event Pokemon entails, I'll surely help ya out. Thanks! :D

Question to really hardcore players out there:

Should I continue training my newly caught Lickitung (On Route 215) so it evolves? The stats in the guide look good and it's move pool looks great too but I'm just curious at to your opinions.

Captain N

I was wonder why giving Pokemon a nickname might be something I want to look into doing. I imagine it would be good for producing pokemon.

mattso

just beat the oreburgh gym
trying to keep the 4 I traded to myself a few levels lower than my monferno and my squirtle (traded the egg so I'd have 2 that always listen)

when I played diamond I had a chimchar and turtwig traded to me and I don't remember them not listening ever being an issue more than a handful of times (one time during a gym fight) so I'm hoping it won't matter much this time either

Stage On

Kickass I asked my mom to pick up my prepaid preorder of Platinum today for me while I was at work and I come home and not only did she get the game she bought me the strategy guide as a treat since they had it on sale!

Talk about rocking. Now to get starting on actually playing the game after dinner xd

Also, if any of you guys who just bought the game want a Spheal or a Trapinch early on, let me know, I am giving them away. I just bred some extras and hatched them (they are at Level 1, untrained). :D

Teknoman

I think the hardest decision to make in the game (for those that can exchange their diamond/pearl pokemon) will be which to keep out of the same pokemon you'll catch between the two.

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
Also, if any of you guys who just bought the game want a Spheal or a Trapinch early on, let me know, I am giving them away. I just bred some extras and hatched them (they are at Level 1, untrained). :D

I'd love one of each and later on I can repay you.

Firestorm

Wii Will Rock U said:
Question to really hardcore players out there:

Should I continue training my newly caught Lickitung (On Route 215) so it evolves? The stats in the guide look good and it's move pool looks great too but I'm just curious at to your opinions.
Don't worry about it and take what you like when you go through the main game. Once finished, start a new team from scratch by breeding. That way you'll get the natures and movesets you want and can keep track of their EVs. Also that way you can make sure you get good IVs if you want to get into that.

Firestorm said:
Don't worry about it and take what you like when you go through the main game. Once finished, start a new team from scratch by breeding. That way you'll get the natures and movesets you want and can keep track of their EVs. Also that way you can make sure you get good IVs if you want to get into that.
Awesome advice, thank you.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Firestorm said:
Yeah, seriously. "Anything works for the singleplayer" is the common saying. At worst, you'll just have to grind more to beat it.

Since my last few playthroughs were easy as hell, I'm going through Plat with a team of common Sinnoh Pokes: Torterra, Bibarel, Staraptor, Kricketune, Luxray, and Bronzong. The majority of these are absolutely terrible in competitive play (and not much better for anything else), but I'm evoking the feeling that we all had when we played through Red/Blue the first time and refused to trade out the dead weight on our team because its "my guy" and we've all come so far together, dangit! No HM slaves here.

Top Bottom