• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

YakiSOBA

Don't do what I did folks:

I played this game and was madly addicted, until I got stupid and used cheats -- got all the epic pokemon that you normally can't get without cheats :( I thought it would be fun to get these pokemon at level 25 or so and train them up but it just ruins the whole experience :(

That arcane pokemon is cool looking though (the one you can't get yet, said to be creator of all pokemon)

I last played Pokemon Gold.

Is the day of the week / time of the day feature still included?

Aka: Lapras can only be found between 6-12pm on Fridays?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
YakiSOBA said:
Don't do what I did folks:

I played this game and was madly addicted, until I got stupid and used cheats -- got all the epic pokemon that you normally can't get without cheats :( I thought it would be fun to get these pokemon at level 25 or so and train them up but it just ruins the whole experience :(

That arcane pokemon is cool looking though (the one you can't get yet, said to be creator of all pokemon)
I use an Action Replay to cut out some of the tedium that comes with breeding/training, but I don't use it to catch unobtainable mons. I always like to have at least something to work towards.

jamesinclair said:

It wasn't in R/S/E/FR/LG, but they brought it back for D/P/Pt, and it uses the DS internal clock.

Jiggy

Wii Will Rock U said:
Question to really hardcore players out there:

Should I continue training my newly caught Lickitung (On Route 215) so it evolves? The stats in the guide look good and it's move pool looks great too but I'm just curious at to your opinions.
Use at least one move that's either:

-Support (Knock Off, Swords Dance, maybe Disable if you ever feel like truly living on the edge with some radical moves)
-A special attack (Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower depending on whether you hate facing Salamence, Gyarados, or Scizor more)
-An off-kilter physical attack (Gyro Ball, Explosion, Power Whip, Hammer Arm)

If you do none of those things, you're basically going to get a Snorlax with worse stats and a worse ability. Lickilicky is distinguished by its movepool: if it were Snorlax, then Tyranitar could come in on anything not carrying Earthquake and set up, as could a particularly defensive Gyarados with Taunt, and most brand of Scizor (although these three do risk paralsys from Body Slam). Skarmory would get to lay down Spikes and Stealth Rock for as long as it wants. Tangrowth or even Meganium could suck up any breed of physical attack from Snorlax, don't care much about paralysis, and will set up Leech Seed. Physically-defensive Ground-types can take Snorlax if they have any kind of head start (i.e. Snorlax has already taken damage).

But with Lickilicky, all of these Pokemon have reason to hesitate facing down a Lickilicky. Tyranitar can't come in on Hammer Arm, and if it Dragon Dances then it's going to hate Gyro Ball. Gyarados and Skarmory should watch for Thunderbolts, and Scizor is afraid of Flamethrower. Tangrowth is also afraid of Flamethrower due to awful Special Defense. (Meganium, on the other hand, can take a number of Flamethrowers.) Even against a heavily damaged Lickilicky, the likes of Swampert and Rhyperior don't want to come in on Power Whip--and unlike Snorlax, Lickilicky outruns Rhyperior and can outrun Swampert with a relatively small investment in Speed. Defensive walls can usually prey on whichever move Snorlax lacks, e.g. Dusknoir will laugh unless it has Crunch--and Forretress doesn't even care if it does have Crunch. But nearly all walls will hate seeing Knock Off and getting their Leftovers eliminated.

So just use its advantages. It's certainly not without them.

jamesinclair said:
I last played Pokemon Gold.

Time of day, yes. Day of week, no.

Sixfortyfive

Jiggy said:
Time of day, yes. Day of week, no.
There are a few things that can only be done on certain days. Drifloom on Fridays, battling the rival in front of the Battle Tower on weekends, etc. Don't know how much of this was changed from D/P to Pt though.

Captain N said:
Anyone starting up a tournament? If it goes down anytime soon I had better get working on it

I plan on starting one in a few weeks, but I've been out of the tournament scene since R/S/E. If I do start one soon, I won't be able to participate in it myself.

Usually, I create a website and dedicated yahoo account just for the tourney. I create web forms which participants have to fill out. Those info forms will be sent to the yahoo account where they will be processed. After a cut-off date or once we reach a certain number, I organize them into brackets and the tournament begins about a day or two afterwards. There's usually a day or two between rounds and trainers will have to report the results after each battle so I could update the bracket. I had 200 people last time I did this. It was a lot hard work, but it was fun.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others starting tournaments, so no worries, there.

sfog

It wasn't in R/S/E/FR/LG, but they brought it back for D/P/Pt, and it uses the DS internal clock.

R/S/E did have an internal clock, but it was only used for really minor things like berry growth, nothing truly related to Pokemon catching. FR/LG had no clock whatsoever.

Jiggy

Sixfortyfive said:
There are a few things that can only be done on certain days. Drifloom on Fridays, battling the rival in front of the Battle Tower on weekends, etc. Don't know how much of this was changed from D/P to Pt though.
Because of what he was saying about Lapras, I was only thinking of the feature as it related to when Pokemon can be caught--but even then, yeah, I forgot about Drifloon.

Firestorm

TheGrayGhost said:
I plan on starting one in a few weeks, but I've been out of the tournament scene since R/S/E. If I do start one soon, I won't be able to participate in it myself.

Usually, I create a website and dedicated yahoo account just for the tourney. I create web forms which participants have to fill out. Those info forms will be sent to the yahoo account where they will be processed. After a cut-off date or once we reach a certain number, I organize them into brackets and the tournament begins about a day or two afterwards. There's usually a day or two between rounds and trainers will have to report the results after each battle so I could update the bracket. I had 200 people last time I did this. It was a lot hard work, but it was fun.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others starting tournaments, so no worries, there.
Save yourself a lot of time with brackets and just use tio. That's what I used for the tournaments I've held.

Download it here: http://allisbrawl.com/news/newspost.aspx?id=380
There was a new version released Friday :eek:

Sixfortyfive

TheGrayGhost said:

I haven't participated for one on GAF, but every online tournament that I have taken part in usually falls flat on its face if it's done in a straight-up bracket format, and doubly so if it spans multiple days. Too many no-shows and scheduling conflicts and whatnot.

I think it'd be easier to do something a little less strict, like letting people challenge random opponents each round instead of being assigned specific opponents, as it lets people get matches out of the way quicker and not have to wait for the other guy to show up. This won't be as fair as a seeded tournament that really takes into account each players' skill level, but I doubt most Gaffers are that serious about Pokeymans anyway.

I'll probably participate no matter how it's set up though.

Sixfortyfive

TheGrayGhost said:
How long does it take you guys to raise a battle-ready Pokemon? Wouldn't it take days?
Sometimes longer. The breeding/training aspect of this game is such a timesink. I eventually cracked and just bought an Action Replay, but even with that I sometimes find the whole process to be way more tedious than it needs to be.

Power items, Macho Brace, Pokerus, vitamins, and all sorts of other features can go a long way in cutting down the time involved in the process, but if you're new to the game and haven't already obtained these items in previous versions, it can take a frustrating amount of time to get them all in D/P by grinding for battle points at the tower. I took a year-long hiatus from Pokemon after I finally snapped from losing one too many fights in the tower due to bullshit hax (95% accuracy moves missing 2 or 3 times in a row). This stuff may be easier to get in Plat. I honestly haven't been keeping tabs on most of the changes.

But once you have all of the equipment and know of good hotspots for specific EVs, training a Pokemon up from level 1 doesn't take terribly long as long as you're willing to make reasonable concessions (not breeding for perfect IVs and such). I could usually crank out a battle-ready Pokemon from scratch in less than a day before I bought the AR. It was still an unreasonable amount of time for me, though.

Honestly, I love these games, but they're a little absurd. Competitive Pokemon play is about 90% preparation, 5% execution, 5% luck.

Jiggy

TheGrayGhost said:
How long does it take you guys to raise a battle-ready Pokemon? Wouldn't it take days?
Breeding: 1-3 days, at least if I have something good that's already in the same breeding group.

Leveling: 2-8 hours depending on how far I have to level: some Pokemon just need to evolve and I'm already done because everything comes from TMs and egg moves, while others need to hit level 61 or whatever to learn some move they can't get otherwise. I'd say it usually hits right around the 4-5 range, though that's probably because whenever I'm considering raising a new team member I look at how far I'd have to level it to get what I want, and I tend to shoot it down if it turns out to be higher than level 55 or so.

EV training: 40-60 minutes, if even that.

Captain N said:
Anyone starting up a tournament? If it goes down anytime soon I had better get working on it
Yeah, Ill try to put a big GAF tourney together. I'll work out the details tonight and maybe I can try and host it Wednesday night, just in time for the Nintendo GDC conference!

Also, if that's the case, I better train up. I've only just beaten the Snowpoint Gym (Gym 7) and I haven't even caught Giratina yet and I've had the game for a month and a half already, :lol (Import)

There is so much in this one that is not integral to the main story but will get you hooked.

Firestorm said:
Save yourself a lot of time with brackets and just use tio. That's what I used for the tournaments I've held.

Download it here: http://allisbrawl.com/news/newspost.aspx?id=380
There was a new version released Friday :eek:

From the overview:

tio is a utility for managing nearly every aspect of a video game tournament.

:eek:

I've never heard of this before. It does everything? I'll have to read about it more, thanks!

Also, if anyone is willing to trade-trade back with me so I can evolve my Porygon and Magmar, it would be much appreciated. I figure I should raise some of my boxed Pokemon stronger before I head off to take down Galactic.

Sixfortyfive said:
I haven't participated for one on GAF, but every online tournament that I have taken part in usually falls flat on its face if it's done in a straight-up bracket format, and doubly so if it spans multiple days. Too many no-shows and scheduling conflicts and whatnot.

I think it'd be easier to do something a little less strict, like letting people challenge random opponents each round instead of being assigned specific opponents, as it lets people get matches out of the way quicker and not have to wait for the other guy to show up. This won't be as fair as a seeded tournament that really takes into account each players' skill level, but I doubt most Gaffers are that serious about Pokeymans anyway.

I'll probably participate no matter how it's set up though.

Yeah, no shows are a reality, no matter what. The way I minimize this is by sending out e-mails twice a week, and trainers will HAVE to respond to each one. That way, I can weed out the slackers from the trainers who are serious about participating. And I've gotten really positive feedback about this process, and I've been complemented as having hosting the best tournaments for this game. I did a few tournaments with D/P, and I even sent messages to the Wiis of participants. It was pretty cool.

Jiggy said:
Breeding: 1-3 days, at least if I have something good that's already in the same breeding group.

Leveling: 2-8 hours depending on how far I have to level: some Pokemon just need to evolve and I'm already done because everything comes from TMs and egg moves, while others need to hit level 61 or whatever to learn some move they can't get otherwise. I'd say it usually hits right around the 4-5 range, though that's probably because whenever I'm considering raising a new team member I look at how far I'd have to level it to get what I want, and I tend to shoot it down if it turns out to be higher than level 55 or so.

EV training: 40-60 minutes, if even that.

That's not as bad as I thought. So you don't level-up to 100? Doesn't the game do that for you when you battle?

Sixfortyfive

Wii Will Rock U said:
Also, if anyone is willing to trade-trade back with me so I can evolve my Porygon and Magmar, it would be much appreciated. I figure I should raise some of my boxed Pokemon stronger before I head off to take down Galactic.
You don't actually have to trade to evolve those Pokemon in D/P. Not sure if this trick still works on Plat or not.

Basically, it works like so:
- Put up your Porygon/Magmar on the GTS and ask for something ridiculous in return so that nobody actually takes it.
- Go complete any other trade on the GTS.
- Take your Porygon/Magmar back. It will evolve upon returning.

Firestorm

Wii Will Rock U said:
Yeah, Ill try to put a big GAF tourney together. I'll work out the details tonight and maybe I can try and host it Wednesday night, just in time for the Nintendo GDC conference!

Also, if that's the case, I better train up. I've only just beaten the Snowpoint Gym (Gym 7) and I haven't even caught Giratina yet and I've had the game for a month and a half already, :lol (Import)

There is so much in this one that is not integral to the main story but will get you hooked.
That would be useless. Nobody has even finished the game yet. The first tournament for DP started June 17th. The game came out in April I believe.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159481
Don't post in the topic. Just for reference.

TheGrayGhost said:
That's not as bad as I thought. So you don't level-up to 100? Doesn't the game do that for you when you battle?
Yeah it auto-levels. It's really recommended to stay below 50 so that your Pokemon are eligible for any tournaments that Nintendo does. Sadly close to impossible if you want to use Dragonite and impossible for other Pokemon who evolve past 50.

Sixfortyfive

Wii Will Rock U said:
Just tried it and it didn't work for me. :(
If the Pokemon requires a hold item to evolve, then you still have to give it that hold item for this trick to work.

Teknoman

Going to be great to finally have access to event item legendary dungeons. I wonder if Darkrai has it's one battle music?

Jiggy

TheGrayGhost said:
Yeah, leveling to 100 manually does more harm than good since once you max out you can no longer re-EV train if you ever want to change anything. Sucks for my GBA-era Alakazam and Ludicolo. :(

mattso said:
I can help you trade to evolve them
My FC: 0560 2519 8174
Name: Roger

PM me back with your info when you are ready to go online.

Thanks again for helping me with this!

I have a Scyther, Porygon and Magmar are ready to be traded and then traded back. :)

Jiggy said:
Yeah, leveling to 100 manually does more harm than good since once you max out you can no longer re-EV train if you ever want to change anything. Sucks for my GBA-era Alakazam and Ludicolo. :(

How do you re-EV train?

jrricky

Banned
Captain N said:
My local Gamestop got tons of extra copies, but no extra figures. I passed on the guide for now. I am starting to think I should just go for it.
Just leavin work and today was rough bcause of pokemon. Anyways we sold out of all the 20 something strategy guides we got which I've never seen done before, sold more than half way through walkins of about 40 copies of the game. Also more than half of all the 60 something reserves were picked up.

Yep pokemon is still huge.:lol

I picked up my copy and strategy guide and can't wait to get home to play.

Thanks to mattso, my Scyther is now a Scizor, my Magmar is now a Magmortar, and my Porygon is now Porygon2! Time to take on Team Galactic and catch Giratina! :D

mattso

Wii Will Rock U said:
Thanks to mattso, my Scyther is now a Scizor, my Magmar is now a Magmortar, and my Porygon is now Porygon2! Time to take on Team Galactic and catch Giratina! :D
No problem

I know you mustve been tempted to just cut and run with my kickass lvl 13 tyrogue, I would have been.

jrricky said:
Just leavin work and today was rough bcause of pokemon. Anyways we sold out of all the 20 something strategy guides we got which I've never seen done before, sold more than half way through walkins of about 40 copies of the game. Also more than half of all the 60 something reserves were picked up.

Yep pokemon is still huge.:lol

I picked up my copy and strategy guide and can't wait to get home to play.

I guess it's all relative, I went to my mall to pick it up and there was literally like 5 people in the mall total and only employees in both stores. I've never seen it so dead. :(

Wilsongt

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I guess it's all relative, I went to my mall to pick it up and there was literally like 5 people in the mall total and only employees in both stores. I've never seen it so dead. :(

Obviously everyone was at home playing Pokemon.

Guled

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
You're lucky. It's around 12 bucks right now, which pisses me off because I ordered it YESTERDAY and it was $13.49 then.
well I live in Canada so its 17$ on amazon.ca (24$ after shipping and taxes)

Giard

Please don't do a tourney so early...

I need to trade my diamond pokes onto my platinum cart and finish single player and get a wifi thingy..

Does anyone else think most of the sprites in Platinum are uglier than those in D/P?

Teknoman

Looking at serebii.net, I think they are better. Magmortar looks alot cooler, and most of the Pokemon seem like they have a more battle ready stance.

Jiggy

I can't figure out whether the framerate is better, the bike is faster, or they simply animated the bike in such a way as to make it look faster. At least one of these things is true, though--the animation looks a lot more hyper, with this sort of blur effect applied.

Giard

Teknoman said:
Looking at serebii.net, I think they are better. Magmortar looks alot cooler, and most of the Pokemon seem like they have a more battle ready stance.
I'm not too far into the game though...that might explain it, maybe I'll have a different opinion then.

Jiggy said:
I can't figure out whether the framerate is better, the bike is faster, or they simply animated the bike in such a way as to make it look faster. At least one of these things is true, though--and I'm leaning toward it being the animation.
It's the animation.

Just noticed that Tyranitar can now learn the elemental punches with the Platinum trainer...awesome.

Top Bottom