• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

GitarooMan said:
I can't be the only one who thinks AltogetherAndrews and pixel monkey care about this game a little too much. It's just abnormal. What did Prototype ever do to you guys?

I was quite excited about Prototype at one point and still believe it will be a lot of fun on a primal level, so consider it progressive, mild disappointment. I really don't think I've been squarely negative about the title either, but the antagonistic martyr attitude around here certainly brings that out. For the record, I don't put much stock in the 4 & 5 of Gamereactor, but it was certainly worth mentioning after that poserdonut dude claimed they had given it an 8/10.

Favre4435 said:
The negative reviews make me sad. I was really looking forward to this game but I can't justify spending $60 on something that is getting panned by most review sites. Will wait until it's $20, which in all reality probably won't take long with this one.

If you honestly like these types of games, do not listen to the reviewers. I cannot, for the life of me, agree with the critic community this time around. They seem to be jaded by playing too much Infamous, which I honestly had just as many problems with.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I was quite about Prototype at one point and still believe it will be a lot of fun on a primal level, so consider it progressive, mild disappointment. I really don't think I've been squarely negative about the title either, but the antagonistic martyr attitude around here certainly brings that out.

Don't worry...be happy!

This is more then likely a love/hate sorta game. Which unless a game is OMG EPIC on a 11 outta 10 scale, happens all the time.

I won't deny the fact that I really enjoyed Web of Shadows, but I'm probably in the minority here. Yet me thinks because of that I will highly enjoy Prototype.:D

I don't think I'm going to either love or hate the game, to be honest. I expect a bit of ridiculous, mad fun because of its Hulk UD heritage, and a bit of disappointment over the fact that it hasn't seemed to evolve much past that heritage. Expectations have been adjusted, so now it's just a matter of playing it.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't think I'm going to either love or hate the game, to be honest. I expect a bit of ridiculous, mad fun because of its Hulk UD heritage, and a bit of disappointment over the fact that it hasn't seemed to evolve much past that heritage. Expectations have been adjusted, so now it's just a matter of playing it.

And there we have it! :D Good way to go into something like this now. :p I swear though if I play it and hate it. I will let people know my thoughts. Yet again, from what Ive seen on the streams, just looks extremely fun to me. Can't say more until after tonight.

I've been hyped about Prototype for a long time. Looked amazingly fun when they first showed it off. But over time, the amount of violence in the game got to me, and I stopped looking forward to it.

I don't really enjoy playing the bad guy. So, that was a pretty major turn off for me. Still, I do want to try it, especially after looking forward to it for so long.

Sysgen

vandalvideo said:
If you honestly like these types of games, do not listen to the reviewers. I cannot, for the life of me, agree with the critic community this time around. They seem to be jaded by playing too much Infamous, which I honestly had just as many problems with.

Agree completely. Open world games are so subjective, moreso than other genres becuase the player can make the game. See Assasins Creed. Very repetitive but many swear by it including myself. Same with Crackdown, etc... Watched some youtube of Prototype and it looks like something I would like. To the guy that gave his opinion and said he didn't care for it or was disappointed it's great that you can contribute as you do but for this type of game your opinion means nothing due to the extreme subjective nature of the material.

JRW

IGN - 7.5 out of 10
IGN AU - 8.5 out of 10
Eurogamer - 7 out of 10
PGNx Media - 9.5 out of 10
Cheat Code Central - 4.9 out of 5
GamePro - 4.5 out of 5

Current score AVG.: 85.60%

I wouldn't exactly call that "bad reviews"?

In comparison Infamous is at a 85.90% AVG score.
(source: http://www.gamerankings.com/)

IMO despite Prototype's flaws the game is just a lot of fun to play, I spent nearly 9 hours playing it yesterday.. I had trouble putting down the controller lol. I played through a couple frustrating segments only to find the solution was easier than I thought. (RUN AWAY!).

What the fuck makes something a 7.8? This goes for that 9.8 too, for that matter. What kind of mind must you have to be able to break down a score like that? :lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
What the fuck makes something a 7.8? This goes for that 9.8 too, for that matter. What kind of mind must you have to be able to break down a score like that? :lol

LOLZ. I sorta get the idea of like the 7.5's and 8.5's, etc when it comes to scoring but yeah, when it gets to that, its like come on now. lol:lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
I was quite excited about Prototype at one point and still believe it will be a lot of fun on a primal level, so consider it progressive, mild disappointment. I really don't think I've been squarely negative about the title either, but the antagonistic martyr attitude around here certainly brings that out. For the record, I don't put much stock in the 4 & 5 of Gamereactor, but it was certainly worth mentioning after that poserdonut dude claimed they had given it an 8/10.

Yeah, I was misinformed, it was a another Swedish magazine that gave it 8/10.

http://level7.nu/spel/spel.php?id=3705&show=text&aid=188298

AltogetherAndrews said:

Maybe they think it's like price tags. Where 9.99 looks cheaper than 10. They don't want to be seen as always giving 8s so they gotta spice it up with some 7.8

Kingpen

Just bought it with store credit....

I loved Crackdown, never played Incredible Hulk UD, and despite the mediocre graphics of Spiderman 3, I actually played that game for about 12 hours and had a decent time with it when it first came out.

This should be good for me I think.

Darkangus

NAVIGATION WARNING!!!

If you are a new PS3 owner (1st time that you are using the console) and you bought [Prototype], you will not be able to install the files to start the game.

Solution: Put some music or movie files on the disc our download a demo so that 500mb get used.
It will install after you do that.

SaggyMonkey said:
Maybe they think it's like price tags. Where 9.99 looks cheaper than 10. They don't want to be seen as always giving 8s so they gotta spice it up with some 7.8

Well, that's just idiotic. The category scores are just as bad.

Sullen

Does the PC version support gamepads? For beat em up/button mashers like this I usually prefer my controller. This has probably been asked somewhere in the thread, but scanning through the last few pages of this has pretty much soured me on reading through anymore.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sullen said:
Does the PC version support gamepads? For beat em up/button mashers like this I usually prefer my controller. This has probably been asked somewhere in the thread, but scanning through the last few pages of this has pretty much soured me on reading through anymore.

I think all "Games for Windows" games support 360 controller no ?

Sullen said:

You can always force it with third party software like Joy To Key.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Felix Lighter said:
It's going to be a 700 MB patch.

whut
you are going to need to change the available space on your hard drive by 700 MB. This can be done in a number of ways including the following:

you only need to free 700MB from your HDD , same problem with Ratchet Future IIRC .

unless it's a joke or pure sarcasm ..then I fail .

EagleEyes said:
All different reviewers.

what the... this really is a love it or hate it game, huh? I'm so torn on picking it up this week (for the TRU $20 GC deal) or if I wanna wait til I can find it used or price dropped for $30... and PS3 vs 360 version is something for me to consider as well, grrrr

EagleEyes

Gryphter said:
what the... this really is a love it or hate it game, huh? I'm so torn on picking it up this week (for the TRU $20 GC deal) or if I wanna wait til I can find it used or price dropped for $30... and PS3 vs 360 version is something for me to consider as well, grrrr
Well if it helps, the only copy Activision sent to IGN was the 360 version. Thats why haven't given a score yet for the PC and PS3 version yet. Could or couldn't be related to quality, who knows.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MacBosse said:
Aw cmon not even the same reviewers? That is ALL over the place.

why they reviewed the same game three times anyway ? I understand it if there is PS2 or Wii version but here it's the same game , you can talk about the the difference between the versions in same review , this is just waste of internet .

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Sullen said:
Yup. 360 controller works like a charm.

JRW said:
IGN - 7.5 out of 10
IGN AU - 8.5 out of 10
Eurogamer - 7 out of 10
PGNx Media - 9.5 out of 10
Cheat Code Central - 4.9 out of 5
GamePro - 4.5 out of 5

Current score AVG.: 85.60%

I wouldn't exactly call that "bad reviews"?

In comparison Infamous is at a 85.90% AVG score.
(source: http://www.gamerankings.com/)

IMO despite Prototype's flaws the game is just a lot of fun to play, I spent nearly 9 hours playing it yesterday.. I had trouble putting down the controller lol. I played through a couple frustrating segments only to find the solution was easier than I thought. (RUN AWAY!).

Holy shit thank you for posting this JRW. This is always the problem with skipping to the last page of a "Official _______ Thread." You always catch the moaners about ohhh the reviews are horrendous I don't think I'm going to buy it anymore blah blah.

It's been said many times "I can't believe you let other people's opinion make up your mind about getting a game." However to be an educated consumer and only acquiring a limited number of games is possible, why would you just get a game with negative reviews by your peers. I find myself straying about middle of the road with 80% of gaf, so if many view it negatively I won't go for it.

In this case after seeing the whiners its relieving to see these scores. Those are NOT bad scores by any means. 4/10 - 6/10 is something I usually rent, borrow, or skip. But over a 7.5? Shit I'm playing that for sure.

Anyway time to get back to this one!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
beast786 said:
GameReactor: Prototype Review

5/10
Yeah, we've been there.

By the way, I'm still adding every review to the OP to anyone who's interested. If you're wondering about reviews, go there.

I gotta buy this game day one, and screw the reviews. I'd buy Infamous too after the ZP "review", but I can't justify spending on a PS3 when I haven't even played all of my 360 games yet.

A bit OT, but I'm noticing that both Metacritic and Gamerankings are very slow with adding some reviews, while others get added minutes after being published. Anyone know what's up with that? Are they submitted by the sites and magazines?

beast786

AltogetherAndrews said:
A bit OT, but I'm noticing that both Metacritic and Gamerankings are very slow with adding some reviews, while others get added minutes after being published. Anyone know what's up with that? Are they submitted by the sites and magazines?

Not just that but the PS3 and 360 version of metacritic scores are different also. o_O

Loudninja

So you're going to take damage, and while there are upgrades for health regeneration speed, maximum health and aerial recovery to unlock, they are all ineffective against the relentless onslaught of your adversaries, who are increasingly difficult to evade.

Hmm :/

Top Bottom