• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

What's the deal with the replay value in this game? I still play inFamous and Crackdown even though I'm maxed out as far as powers go in both games. Will I do the same with this game? Or is the city not interesting or varied enough to keep me playing? I was gonna get this day one until all that chaos in the beginning of this thread :lol

Dizzle24

Legjend said:
What's the deal with the replay value in this game? I still play inFamous and Crackdown even though I'm maxed out as far as powers go in both games. Will I do the same with this game? Or is the city not interesting or varied enough to keep me playing? I was gonna get this day one until all that chaos in the beginning of this thread :lol

There is a NEW GAME+ :D

Restart on same difficulty or lower, with all your powers, upgrade, statistics, etc.

Radical thought of this and I am SO FUCKING HAPPY they decided to include this.

Dizzle24 said:
There is a NEW GAME+ :D

Restart on same difficulty or lower, with all your powers, upgrade, statistics, etc.

Radical thought of this and I am SO FUCKING HAPPY they decided to include this.

Oh wow fucking bought. I love new game+ in games. Too bad InFamous doesn't have it. Anyway Prototype here I come. :D

any other SLi PC owners having performance issues?

i can't believe it's meant to chug like it was chugging last night, but i haven't had any time for experimenting.

Zeliard

Legjend said:

One thing Brad Shoemaker said in his review on Giant Bomb is that when he beat the game, he didn't have close to all of the powers and moves unlocked.

This game might be repetative. But shit if its not one of the funniest games I've played this year so far.

Just too much fun to be had. The developers nailed it. Story is decent so far. I'm already addcited to getting all gold medals on the side missions. WOOHOO!

Alex is BAD ASS!:lol

Graphics are not nearly as bad as some make them out to be but I can see the idea of simplicity in order to keep all the mayhem going on. I will say the opening moments of the game had my mouth drop.

Legjend said:

It has orbs like Crackdown, so you can get replay from just going around trying to find them all. The city itself isn't as memorable or distinct as Crackdown, but it never stops being fun just running down a street, grabbing a car and throwing it at a tank.

Playing the PC version; definitely enjoy the game quite a bit. Traversing the city in under 2-3 minutes is quite awesome and I never thought being able to climb the Empire State building with a car would be so fun. I particularly like the style of the "web of intrigue" cutscenes. The game is just overall tons of fun. I am having issues with framerate; drops almost every 10-15 minutes, sometimes massive. It could be my hardware but I can get near 60fps in certain areas. I'll have to research this more.

I think there is room for both Infamous and Prototype. Two great games that do different things.

Based on fun alone, this game has been a DELIGHT.

Zeliard

I love the stuff they kept from Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. The charged super-jump, the lock-on system, the running and jumping up skyscraper walls carrying anything from a human to a truck, the wanton abuse of helicopters, and just the general feeling of both massive strength and tremendous agility.

Foster

After this thread I have been so confused weather to get it or not but I think I will now :D

Have got a couple of games to trade in so should hopefully get £10 - 15 knocked off it.

Got to be better than Shaun whites snowboarding that I just bought, wow what a pile of crap.

bigdaddygamebot said:
There's been enough precedent set in the past that

No Demo + No Credible Reviews Prior To Launch = Piss Poor Game

It's simple really. If it was a great game, you want to get hype out there so you're sell units on day one.

Atleast I think you want positive hype out "there". Who knows? Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe Activision is onto something. Maybe day one sales just don't matter?

...or maybe it's just a mediocre game and they put an embargo on it to prevent bad reviews from discouraging sales.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Between that and Giant Bomb giving it 4 out of 5.

...fuck.

Looks like I'm buying this.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

backflip10019 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You know who's not lol-ing? My wife when I buy this.

It's not scoring badly...(save metacritic's strangeness of giving a B minus a 67% score)

So why the embargo? It just doesn't make sense.

Now I just need to wait for a used copy.

bigdaddygamebot said:
You know who's not lol-ing? My wife when I buy this.

It's not scoring badly...(save metacritic's strangeness of giving a B minus a 67% score)

Now I just need to wait for a used copy.
Yeah, it defies all logic why the embargo went as late as it did. Oh well, I'm excited for the game. Should be picking it up within the next couple of hours.

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, it defies all logic why the embargo went as late as it did. Oh well, I'm excited for the game. Should be picking it up within the next couple of hours.

The people that make decisions like that don't necessarily play the game. The mediocre graphics could have been enough for an exec or PR person to lose confidence in the title. Who knows?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
teruterubozu said:
Reminds me of -

2e0tu0l.jpg

I said the same thing when my brother was playing it! :lol

Obviously this is better and more fun than State of Emergency, but yeah I made that comparison because of the senseless mindless violence held together by a ridiculous story. I was watching my brother play this game last night:

"So why are you running around killing everyone? What does that have to do with the story, aren't you supposed to be killing bad guys?"

"Yeah, I guess. I just like running around and kill everyone."

".... okay. Is there any reason or motivation for your character to be doing this?

"Well, he doesn't know who he is."

"Right. I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM OR HOW I GOT THESE FUCKAWESOME SUPER POWERS SO I AM GOING TO GO AROUND AND MURDER ANYONE WHO CROSSES MY PATH!"

:lol :lol :lol Fun game, but absolutely everything stereotypical in video game violence flame wars.

Adam Prime said:
I"Right. I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM OR HOW I GOT THESE FUCKAWESOME SUPER POWERS SO I AM GOING TO GO AROUND AND MURDER ANYONE WHO CROSSES MY PATH!"

LMAO well you don't HAVE to kill the civilians... I mean it is your choice... but its just so much FUN! :D:lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
LMAO well you don't HAVE to kill the civilians... I mean it is your choice... but its just so much FUN! :D:lol

I would be amazed to see if anyone can manage to play this game without killing civs - the violence is so random and chaotic, it would almost be impossible. This game is all about civilian casualties.

Davidion

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Playing the PC version; definitely enjoy the game quite a bit. Traversing the city in under 2-3 minutes is quite awesome and I never thought being able to climb the Empire State building with a car would be so fun. I particularly like the style of the "web of intrigue" cutscenes. The game is just overall tons of fun. I am having issues with framerate; drops almost every 10-15 minutes, sometimes massive. It could be my hardware but I can get near 60fps in certain areas. I'll have to research this more.

I think there is room for both Infamous and Prototype. Two great games that do different things.

Based on fun alone, this game has been a DELIGHT.

What're your specs? I'm wondering how well this will run on my 8800gt.

BenjaminBirdie said:
You can carry a CAR up buildings?!?

:O

You can throw an enemy into a helicopter, pick up the exploded shell of the helicopter, run up a building while carrying it, air dash off the building and throw it at another helicopter. The only thing you can't do while holding something is glide.

JRW

plagiarize said:
any other SLi PC owners having performance issues?

i can't believe it's meant to chug like it was chugging last night, but i haven't had any time for experimenting.

Something tells me this game wasn't optimized very well on PC, I get better framerates in Crysis and im running a GTX 260 OC'd to GTX 285 speeds (single card,not sli) The only thing Im not certain of is if Windows 7 is partly to blame or not, I haven't tried it in WinXP yet.

I went back to playing it on 360 where the framerate is nice and stable, plus im already closer to the end of the game on 360's anyhow.

Shearie

Thinking about buying this. Told myself I'd only get Infamous because of money constraints but now I'm not sure anymore.

JRW said:
Something tells me this game wasn't optimized very well on PC, I get better framerates in Crysis and im running a GTX 260 OC'd to GTX 285 speeds (single card,not sli) The only thing Im not certain of is if Windows 7 is partly to blame or not, I haven't tried it in WinXP yet.

I went back to playing it on 360 where the framerate is nice and stable, plus im already closer to the end of the game on 360's anyhow.
i'll let you know if i have any luck tweaking.

Shearie

AltogetherAndrews said:
No rental options around you?

You just reminded me, when I picked up Infamous at the Gamecrazy I pre-ordered at, they gave me a free rental coupon for any game or movie in Hollywood Video.

Davidion said:

Surprisingly I'm running it on my laptop - 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 2600 Mobility. It runs very good for my specs other than the slowdown I mentioned. Your 8800GT should tackle this no problem, yet it seems there are better cards having trouble with this too. It has to be an optimization issue because just playing this my SHIT WAS CHUGGING - I can imagine it was under 10 FPS at one point...

BenjaminBirdie said:
You can carry a CAR up buildings?!?

:O

Yea, that's what I thought when I first did it! It's hilarious to climb way up and throw a taxi off into the distance. Once you get long range throw it's even better...

Sullen

Davidion said:

Game runs very smooth on my 8800gtx. I'm on 4 gigs of ram with a dual core + my 8800gtx and I run everything on high at 1680x1050 with no significant slow downs, even when shit is exploding all around me. I doubt you'll have any issues whatsoever.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
slasher_thrasher21 said:
This game might be repetative. But shit if its not one of the funniest games I've played this year so far.

Just too much fun to be had. The developers nailed it. Story is decent so far. I'm already addcited to getting all gold medals on the side missions. WOOHOO!

Alex is BAD ASS!:lol

Graphics are not nearly as bad as some make them out to be but I can see the idea of simplicity in order to keep all the mayhem going on. I will say the opening moments of the game had my mouth drop.

This post makes me want to buy this game.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yea, that's what I thought when I first did it! It's hilarious to climb way up and throw a taxi off into the distance. Once you get long range throw it's even better...

Its you people that I blame for not having any money whatsoever. Hot damn that sounds awesome.

Double D

Gamefly shipped it. Hopefully it's coming from the Tampa distribution center and I get it tomorrow. Then I'll be able to join the carnage!

DaveKap

Banned
Something I have yet to see anyone else mention, probably because it's so damn vague, is the similarity between Prototype's Web Of Intrigue cut-scenes and the cult hit movie Dark City.

If you've seen Dark City, you might remember the end of the movie when Kiefer Sutherland's character injects years of memories into the main character's brain. The montage that proceeds is incredibly surreal as he hears Kiefer's voice teaching him things as he proceeds through his regular life (it's a fake memory of his past, thus more believable, blah blah movie stuff I don't need to explain.) In any case, Prototype's scenes work almost exactly the same way; the style, the noises, and the echoed voices explaining things.

It really makes the game more enjoyable, even if I am in the dark (on purpose) about wtf the story is even about.

f@luS

More than a member.
how can u change the resolution on pc? its blocked on 1024*768 i want to play with 1360*768 !

DaveKap said:
Something I have yet to see anyone else mention, probably because it's so damn vague, is the similarity between Prototype's Web Of Intrigue cut-scenes and the cult hit movie Dark City.

If you've seen Dark City, you might remember the end of the movie when Kiefer Sutherland's character injects years of memories into the main character's brain. The montage that proceeds is incredibly surreal as he hears Kiefer's voice teaching him things as he proceeds through his regular life (it's a fake memory of his past, thus more believable, blah blah movie stuff I don't need to explain.) In any case, Prototype's scenes work almost exactly the same way; the style, the noises, and the echoed voices explaining things.

It really makes the game more enjoyable, even if I am in the dark (on purpose) about wtf the story is even about.

I love Dark City, so this post alone makes me want to at least rent this.

hulot

Adam Prime said:
"So why are you running around killing everyone? What does that have to do with the story, aren't you supposed to be killing bad guys?"

"Yeah, I guess. I just like running around and kill everyone."
Isn't this how most people play GTA as well? :p

Dead

well not really...yet
So apparently all of the Toys'r'Us stores in the area didnt receive the PS3 version, so I couldn't get the Gift Card, and on top of that, Best Buy refused to price match, despite apparently many people having done so themselves. Fuck. Ended up buying it full price somewhere else :\

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Played it for a little while. There are some neat ideas, but damn the package around it is so rough. Kind of disappointed. This was the triple in my summer triumvirate of InFamous and Red Faction and I like those two far far better.

His powers are pretty cool like I hoped, but the enemies and city aren't really any fun to use them with. Eh, you win some you lose some. It seems like a polarizing game in some ways.

bigdaddygamebot said:
You know what made less sense than the embargo? All the embargo/no demo conspiracy theories that crapped up every thread on this forum in the last week.

There have been plenty of games that had similar embargoes and reviewed just fine. This isn't the film industry. There's no need for a big publisher to hold back reviews on a major title cuz as long as you can get past the title screen it'll at least get an average score of 8.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had one of those "If it's a 9 or up you can publish before this date" deals going on, though.

And it was also awesome how everyone acted like the game was some sort of unknown when it was widely pirated a week before release. And most of the pirates seemed to dig it. Best to ignore them, though. Much better to trust the guy who watched his "friend in the industry" play it for 50 minutes.

OK, I'm being bad. Part of the problem. Sorry! Pretend I didn't say anything.

Game's alright. Not too far in though. Only got up to the first hive or whatever. I didn't think Red Faction would alter my expectations for the genre but when I hopped in the tank and couldn't smash through walls I was really disappointed! I dig the flying though. The action's a bit too spazzy and I am not proud to admit I've died numerous times but thankfully the checkpoints are frequent.

The game's no beauty but it runs at a stable framerate at least.

Rummy Bunnz said:
You know what made less sense than the embargo? All the embargo/no demo conspiracy theories that crapped up every thread on this forum in the last week.
There have been plenty of games that had similar embargoes and reviewed just fine. This isn't the film industry. There's no need for a big publisher to hold back reviews on a major title cuz as long as you can get past the title screen it'll at least get an average score of 8.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had one of those "If it's a 9 or up you can publish before this date" deals going on, though.

I was wrong. I have no problem admitting such but if you look at the past...

No Demo for a brand new IP

Embargo

Activision (as in the royal Activision as an entity, or maybe just Bobby Kotick) is a cock(s)

Those three things thrown into the pot make for a pretty sour and conspiratorial soup. It's really not that unreasonable to think the things that were being thrown around here.

What will be interesting is if they have the whole embargo thing with future titles. Maybe a conditional embargo based on scoring is status quo for them now, or maybe it was just for Prototype?

Anyway...some dimwit already traded it in at Gamestop so...I have my copy and I'll be giving it a spin tonight. :)

Zeliard

Musashi Wins! said:
Played it for a little while. There are some neat ideas, but damn the package around it is so rough. Kind of disappointed. This was the triple in my summer triumvirate of InFamous and Red Faction and I like those two far far better.

His powers are pretty cool like I hoped, but the enemies and city aren't really any fun to use them with. Eh, you win some you lose some. It seems like a polarizing game in some ways.

The game is definitely hurt by its visuals, probably moreso than any game in recent memory.

Especially the city. That aspect of it really is straight out of a last-gen game, with really poor texturing and very simple geometry. In motion things look a bit better, because the game moves so fast and there are such a wide variety of moves that all animate pretty well.

Nightz

I finally caved and bought it since Gamefly was taking too freaking long. Can't wait to give this a shot when I get off work. :D

bigdaddygamebot said:
I was wrong. I have no problem admitting such but if you look at the past...
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to single you out at all. I understand being apprehensive about the game. I just thought all the pre-release hullabaloo was ridiculous.

I am pretty sure the scoring embargo has been used in the past for Rockstar games. And I thiiiink it may have been the case with Assassin's Creed but I'm not entirely sure. It's not unusual for big name games, though.

Zeliard said:
Especially the city. That aspect of it really is straight out of a last-gen game, with really poor texturing and very simple geometry. In motion things look a bit better, because the game moves so fast and there are such a wide variety of moves that all animate pretty well.
Yeah but aren't you always in motion? It's not really a game where you linger. Again, I'm not really crazy about how it looks but it's clean, fast and runs at a stable framerate so I don't care how last-gen it looks. The lack of environment variety may be a bigger issue, though I've only played an hour or two. Maybe they change things up a bit later on. I'm not expecting that though.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah but aren't you always in motion? It's not really a game where you linger. Again, I'm not really crazy about how it looks but it's clean, fast and runs at a stable framerate so I don't care how last-gen it looks. The lack of environment variety may be a bigger issue, though I've only played an hour or two. Maybe they change things up a bit later on. I'm not expecting that though.

Depends. You may linger when searching for orbs and stuff, because they can be super difficult to spot as they only pop in once you're in an area for a set ammount of time. Once you max out travel speed, it is dang near impossible to spot them unless you simmer down.

Top Bottom