• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

DaveKap

Banned
f@luS said:
anyone know how to customize the resolution? i want 1360*768
No guarantees, but after reading WSGF on the matter, either your video card doesn't have enough VRAM or you need to add the custom resolution to your GPU's software settings (very easy to find for nvidia) for the game to read it.

Sullen said:
Game runs very smooth on my 8800gtx. I'm on 4 gigs of ram with a dual core + my 8800gtx and I run everything on high at 1680x1050 with no significant slow downs, even when shit is exploding all around me. I doubt you'll have any issues whatsoever.
here's the weird thing, not only do i have a more powerful graphics card than you, but for me, no matter what resolution and settings i run the game at, i get about 17 to 20 fps. doesn't change when i just run it on one graphics card.

that would mean CPU locked normally... but there's no way this game is CPU locked on my Q6850.

i don't get 'slow down' per se, because it doesn't matter what is going on on screen. i mean, it's perfectly playable and all... but jeez. there has to be something more going on here that i'm missing.

Zeliard

8800GTX + Q6600 here and the game never dips below 30 FPS no matter what's on-screen, with the settings at their max, at 1680x1050. It often goes up to 60, usually when I'm flying up buildings or soaring through the sky and it isn't drawing that much of the environment. Dunno what's up with your rig.

Zeliard said:
8800GTX + Q6600 here and the game never dips below 30 FPS no matter what's on-screen, with the settings at their max, at 1680x1050. It often goes up to 60, usually when I'm flying up buildings or soaring through the sky and it isn't drawing that much of the environment. Dunno what's up with your rig.
something must be. i don't hit 30 on the LOADING SCREEN.

apparently having lots of HID devices can slow it down, and i have a shit load... but that'll be annoying to keep disabling and re-enabling them. eh. going to test.

running on a 9800 gx2, but i get the same problem whether running in SLi mode or not. SOMETHING is limiting the game and it isn't my graphics card or cpu...

Sysgen

Enjoyed what I played last night. The opening sequence was a blast / amazing / fuck wow :lol . The graphics were more than acceptable and the only negative I could come up with through my limited play was that the controls could be tighter.

I've had to turn this off, trying to climb a thin tower to get a collectible made me want to murder the camera creator, I've only just go to Free Roam mode, but I'm not feeling it so far. The city feels generic and the story so far seems ridiculously lame. I'll try it again tomorrow, but I want that damn collectible without having to fight a wall running system that punishes me for trying to climb a thin pillar.

I want to like this as it seems ridiculously manic, but we'll see, I didn't like the way it dropped you in at the beginning, Web of Shadows did that and it didn't work well there either. Maybe this isn't the competitor to inFamous I thought it would be.

f@luS

More than a member.
DaveKap said:
No guarantees, but after reading WSGF on the matter, either your video card doesn't have enough VRAM or you need to add the custom resolution to your GPU's software settings (very easy to find for nvidia) for the game to read it.
i want 1360*768 which is a low resolution, but it seems its not supported :(

Darkflight said:
I've had to turn this off, trying to climb a thin tower to get a collectible made me want to murder the camera creator, I've only just go to Free Roam mode, but I'm not feeling it so far. The city feels generic and the story so far seems ridiculously lame. I'll try it again tomorrow, but I want that damn collectible without having to fight a wall running system that punishes me for trying to climb a thin pillar.

If I remember correctly, you have to jump before you get to the thin pole part and get the peice. If you can't get it, then you need to increase your jump skill.

OK, the PC version of Prototype has pissed me off so badly.

I booted it up today to play some more, and I found myself getting sub 10 FPS. which is crazy since I was getting a steady 60 fps yesterday. So I check to make sure nothing in my background is eating up my resources... nada.

I try lowering the resolution. nada. I turn everything down to minimum, and try running it at 640x480... still sub 10 FPS. So I go to look online, and found this piece of ridiculous bullshit...

if you have any HID device attached to your PC besides a controller, a mouse, or a keyboard, Prototype slows to a fucking crawl.

Now, I have prototype installed on my gaming PC, which is in my living room attached to my TV. I control my PC with a gyroscopic remote which shows up as, you guessed it, a HID device. If I want to play prototype, I have to go behind my TV and disconnect the receiver every time I start up Prototype. I have software which maps a ton of specialized functions to various keys on my remote, but it only works if the remote is plugged in on boot up. So after I'm done playing prototype, I have to shut my PC down, go behind my TV, plug in the receiver, and then reboot my PC, or else I'll have a gimped media remote.

FUCK this is infuriating. Judging from forums I've been reading, Activision is being slow as shit to even address the situation. UGH.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Been trying this out with 8600 GT and 1.5 Gb RAM. Lots of nasty slowdown, which slightly improved with V-Sync switched off. Have everything set to low, with the res set to the second lowest. Is my PC the issue or what?

Very enjoyable so far, can't understand the issues about controls. During the intro I was air dashing, gliding and all kinds of shit with precision before any of the tutorials told me.

What HID devices? I may have some without knowing. How would I check? I have a HDD connected, the 360 wireless thing and the 360 recharge wire too.

Mrbob

Rent it?

I got both the 360 and PS3 versions in my gamerang queue at the moment. Both available so hopefully one ships out in the next day.

I'm loving it on PC with a 360 controller. No view-distance issues on the orbs, I can see them when they're in view, same with everything else. No load times, complete freedom, controls great, and I love slicing people in half. My only gripe is that my controller doesn't like the right stick going to the exact 'UP' position so it's hard to get back to blades...

But that's just my controller.

Dani said:
Been trying this out with 8600 GT and 1.5 Gb RAM. Lots of nasty slowdown, which slightly improved with V-Sync switched off. Have everything set to low, with the res set to the second lowest. Is my PC the issue or what?

Very enjoyable so far, can't understand the issues about controls. During the intro I was air dashing, gliding and all kinds of shit with precision before any of the tutorials told me.

What HID devices? I may have some without knowing. How would I check? I have a HDD connected, the 360 wireless thing and the 360 recharge wire too.

Look in your device manager. It'll tell you what HIDs are connected.

This game is so fucking fun I can't even explain it. There's a fair amount of variety, ALL the powers are bad-ass, movement is awesome once you get all the upgrades and get a knack for the controls. The missions are just...insane, helicopters, tanks, steamrolling countless and countless civilians. The graphics aren't as bad as people say, especially for an "open world" game. Anyone that says this has no replay value obviously hasn't played it!

DrBo42

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This game is so fucking fun I can't even explain it. There's a fair amount of variety, ALL the powers are bad-ass, movement is awesome once you get all the upgrades and get a knack for the controls. The missions are just...insane, helicopters, tanks, steamrolling countless and countless civilians. The graphics aren't as bad as people say, especially for an "open world" game. Anyway that says this has no replay value obviously hasn't played it!
This. I've sunk hours into this game just fucking around, I've only just hit the 20% infected point. Going into the infected areas is great IMO. I like going around and just watching the chaos ensue. Eventually I follow a squad of soldiers and stealth consume the guy in the back, then I help them clear out targets via assault rifle. When I eventually run out of ammo I start doing my crazy melee moves on infected targets, trying to save as many civilians as I can. I'm enjoying it.

JRW

Sysgen said:
Enjoyed what I played last night. The opening sequence was a blast / amazing / fuck wow :lol . The graphics were more than acceptable and the only negative I could come up with through my limited play was that the controls could be tighter.

I cant wait til the day when actual gameplay graphics look like Prototype's opening sequence lol.

hulot

Alright, I'll be honest, when I jump from tall buildings, my heart skips a beat. The sense of falling is quite amazing.

G-Fex

Wow after playing for about an hour and a half I love it, the first three parts in the beginning were awesome. I mean I love it a hell of a lot more than Spider-man web of shadows. Just everything about it is so fucking righteous, from the awesome parkour to kicking shit around to picking up a gun or rocket launcher and jumping around like spider-man and shooting things.

DaveKap

Banned
Sometimes I'll just slowly walk down a sidewalk for fun. Due to the fact that Alex pushes each pedestrian incredibly hard, so much harder than he really needs to, I just crack up laughing whenever they yell at me. I'll just circle, slowly, around some random civ and continually push them around and listen to them calling me a dick. It's just so goofy.

There's something strangely funny about the fact that equipping the shield and then running down a sidewalk means that each person who gets thrown out of the way actually dies. These people aren't being maimed - they won't get up and walk away like any other game that lets you do this - they are just straight up fucking dead. I also find humor in the fact that picking up anybody equates to a death sentence. As far as I can tell, you cannot just put the person down; you have to throw them or eat them and either way they end up dead. I'm seriously never interested in games just for the kill factor, but something about the way Prototype handles it makes me laugh so hard.

DrBo42

DaveKap said:
Sometimes I'll just slowly walk down a sidewalk for fun. Due to the fact that Alex pushes each pedestrian incredibly hard, so much harder than he really needs to, I just crack up laughing whenever they yell at me. I'll just circle, slowly, around some random civ and continually push them around and listen to them calling me a dick. It's just so goofy.

There's something strangely funny about the fact that equipping the shield and then running down a sidewalk means that each person who gets thrown out of the way actually dies. These people aren't being maimed - they won't get up and walk away like any other game that lets you do this - they are just straight up fucking dead. I also find humor in the fact that picking up anybody equates to a death sentence. As far as I can tell, you cannot just put the person down; you have to throw them or eat them and either way they end up dead. I'm seriously never interested in games just for the kill factor, but something about the way Prototype handles it makes me laugh so hard.

Learned that the hard way. I saw a woman in the infected zone surrounded by all kinds of horrors during one of my patrols. I looked around and quickly realized I wouldn't be able to save her by fighting them off so I grabbed her and evac'd her from the area. Stopped in front of an ambulance in the clear zone and then thought to myself "Wow, I'm such a nice guy!" and gleefully pressed E (grab on PC). Pressed it again, nothing happens. A wave of sadness rolled over me, but at least her demise at my hands was quick.

Darklord said:
I still don't know if I should get it or not. It's fun but weak graphics and no replay value? Hmm...

There's a New Game + and apparently no chance of unlocking everything first go around. So I wouldn't say "no". Maybe "little"....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
BenjaminBirdie said:
There's a New Game + and apparently no chance of unlocking everything first go around. So I wouldn't say "no". Maybe "little"....

There is plenty of chance to unlock everything first go. Reviewers don't exactly approach games they have to review with a completionist attitude.

beat

hulot said:
Alright, I'll be honest, when I jump from tall buildings, my heart skips a beat. The sense of falling is quite amazing.
Oh good, it's not just me. I feel the same way.

HMC

DrBo42 said:
Learned that the hard way. I saw a woman in the infected zone surrounded by all kinds of horrors during one of my patrols. I looked around and quickly realized I wouldn't be able to save her by fighting them off so I grabbed her and evac'd her from the area. Stopped in front of an ambulance in the clear zone and then thought to myself "Wow, I'm such a nice guy!" and gleefully pressed E (grab on PC). Pressed it again, nothing happens. A wave of sadness rolled over me, but at least her demise at my hands was quick.

This made me lulz..You play the same way I do. You try to be a good guy, but the game just isn't set up for "good". It doen't help that he throws his victims like C.C. Sabathia. Even if you toss them into some garbage bags, the impact is brutal. I throw civilians in the water and pretend that they survive. :lol

I like how the game always keeps track of how many civilians you've killed, so there always seems to be some consequence, even if it's just your own concience. Ive only finished a couple with no casualties.

Sinatar said:
There is plenty of chance to unlock everything first go. Reviewers don't exactly approach games they have to review with a completionist attitude.

yeah, I'm doing all the side missions and trying to get gold on all of them (just because; not going for achievements or anything) and it seems totally plausable.

Oh, and as soon as the Patsy move is available, go ahead and buy it. It makes the "stealth" stuff so much more awesome.

This game is actually really awesome. I changed my opinion about two things so far. First, it is better than Spider-man web of shadows; second, the camera is actually pretty awful when you need to manage multiple targets.

silly HID glitch aside... the game is phenomenally bad ass.

i haven't done too many missions yet
just the bust freaky lady out of prison one
but i've done a number of the challenges.

no one told me this shit had pilotwings/monkey target in it!

only annoyance so far is trying to get landmark orbs on top of spikes.

i've upgraded my skills a bunch. mainly movement... the sense of movement is amazing. double air dodge + glide... god... i hope there's a third air dodge... not since spider-man 2 have i felt so... free.

that you're a vicious bad ass doesn't hurt either. i love picking up a vehicle and just running through packs of people battering them out of the way.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Curious. Are there any indoor areas in this game? Everything looks like it takes place outdoors.

ultron87

HMC said:
This made me lulz..You play the same way I do. You try to be a good guy, but the game just isn't set up for "good". It doen't help that he throws his victims like C.C. Sabathia. Even if you toss them into some garbage bags, the impact is brutal. I throw civilians in the water and pretend that they survive. :lol

I like how the game always keeps track of how many civilians you've killed, so there always seems to be some consequence, even if it's just your own concience. Ive only finished a couple with no casualties.

I've noticed that pretty much everything you do in this game is probably going to kill civilians. You'll probably even run a few over just running around town.

Every less-than-stellar review seems to be knocking it for having TOO MANY combat options. I don't understand how this can be construed as a negative.

The battles are only "repetitive" if you do the same exact thing to defeat enemies every single time.

BigKaboom2 said:
Every less-than-stellar review seems to be knocking it for having TOO MANY combat options. I don't understand how this can be construed as a negative..

It can if it starts to feel overwhelming, cluttered and difficult to use and manage. And from what I've read, it hasn't seemed to be so much about the amount of powers, but more about unintuitive blending and execution of powers. Sometimes, a narrower but focused selection may be preferable to a sprawling selection.

flintstryker said:
Holy shit Alex is a dick the guy just can't seem to pass anymore without hitting them in the face lol, i love this game.
yeah, me too. you stroll past someone and he just out of the blue slaps them down.

i'm really loving his character.

not for how he's written, but for how he acts when i'm playing, either stuff like that that he just does himself, or stuff like how he can't put down a person without killing them... and then because of the stuff i've done as him.

CerberusE

Neo Member
Got this for the PC and went through the first 2 missions. It's pretty fun so far, and runs really smooth on a 4850. All the pedestrian killing makes me a bit uncomfortable though.

My biggest mistake was to get this and Crackdown at the same time. I think I'll finish Crackdown first, then go to Prototype. Moving between the 2 is messing me up. I do like how different they feel though :D

I'm also playing the PC version.

Everyone has already said why this game is a blast, so I won't even bother.

Quick question, though... Does the game have a frame rate cap?

Dead

well not really...yet
The game is really fun, but I wish they had implemented some actual optional side story missions aside from the main campaign. I seem to blowing through the main story, already done 13 out of 31 in 6 hours, as well as all the challenges that pop up

Top Bottom