• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

Chiggs

Gold Member
Played it for a few hours last night...somewhat cool and somewhat "meh." The controls can be a sloppy mess in certain cituations, and other times they work just fine. The graphics are nearly that of an orginal Xbox game, but a little more beefed up; however, the story does seem sort of interesting and the violence and profanity have been set to 11.

I'll give it a few more hours before deciding on whether to trade it in or not. Have to admit, I enjoyed Infamous and Red Faction: Guerilla far more.

Sysgen

vandalvideo said:
Grab a helicopta, bail out above the needle, and hit the glide buttunz.

I haven't grabbed a heli yet. Is it a power up or do you have to hit B or something when your're near one?

Sanjuro

Maybe if I hadn't just played and beaten inFamous a few weeks ago I would like this game much more. I'm not that far in but to this point the way the story just isn't interesting. The controls are fucking god awful...nothing is smooth. The draw distance is utter shit to. What is the point of collecting orbs when I can only see them on my screen within 10-15 feet or so and not to mention the beautiful skyline of grey when down upon the city.

So far not impressed at all.

Well I must say peoples opinion on this game are up and down. I think that reflects on the scores the game has been getting as well.

I feel this game is just something people will either have a tremendous ammount of fun with or simply look at it as medicore to average and remove it from their memory banks shortly after.

I def fall into the tremendous ammout of fun catergory!

Coin Return

Loose Slot
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Maybe if I hadn't just played and beaten inFamous a few weeks ago I would like this game much more. I'm not that far in but to this point the way the story just isn't interesting. The controls are fucking god awful...nothing is smooth. The draw distance is utter shit to. What is the point of collecting orbs when I can only see them on my screen within 10-15 feet or so and not to mention the beautiful skyline of grey when down upon the city.

Once you get "infected vision", orbs become much easier to see and obtain. As for the controls, you've really have to upgrade air dash, sprint speed and jump power to really get a knack for them, I think. Prototype easily has the best way of traversing the city in any open world game I've played.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I'm 4 hours in and I'm totally in love with it. The only reason I stopped playing was because it was almost 6 AM. :D

I'm just 4 hours in and I can't believe how powerful I feel when playing this game. I've done only 10 story missions and a crap load of side missions and the amount of destruction I can cause with one move makes anything I've seen or played in a game like Crachdown or inFamous look tame. 10 missions in and I'm jumping from rooftop to rooftop taking down giant fucking monsters and helicopters while completely eviscerating [/i the random citizens or police that get in my way. And I'm not exaggerating when I talk about just how violent you become with some of your moves. I don't even feel bad for all the little people I end up killing when they get in the way, cause they die so fast.

Chiggs

Gold Member
AnnSwag said:
and the amount of destruction I can cause with one move makes anything I've seen or played in a game like Crachdown or inFamous look tame.

Play Red Faction: Guerilla if you want destruction.

Sanjuro

The dialog is wonky too.

*Get to your ex-girlfriend Karen Parker*

Barges in her room

You: Karen Parker.
Karen: I thought you were dead!

I bought the PC version on Steam last night.. My laptop has a 2.5Ghz dual core, 4 GB ram, nvidia 8600 GT, and the game defaulted me to 1280x720, low graphics settings.

It runs pretty smooth except for some stuttering every now and then, nothing that interferes with gameplay. I know people had said the engine was kind of janky but I turned the settings up to see and it looks a LOT better than what the default was but is unplayable. At settings where it's playable it looks pretty good... not as good as the 360 or ps3 vids i've seen. I'm going to play around with my settings tonight and try disabling human interface devices to see if I can't get the settings up a bit or remove the stuttering altogether.

I will say it's fun as hell, and I stayed up till 2:30 last night playing it before I realized what time it was. Running up the side of buildings, jumping off, gliding around feels good. As someone said earlier, the sense of falling in this game is great.

JRW said:
I knew there had to be a specific reason the game ran so poorly on my rig even at 800x600 (GTX 260 card) I have a crapload of usb devices (6 show up as HID in device manager) Activision should address this one pretty quick i'd hope.

I've got a bunch of stuff under my HID device list in Device Manager; do you know if these things have to be plugged in to affect the gameplay? Or should I just disable them all?

K' Dash

Sysgen said:
I haven't grabbed a heli yet. Is it a power up or do you have to hit B or something when your're near one?

Me neither, I want to hijack an helicopter :(

Well, I'm like 8 missions in, I could be very far ahead in the game, but I have to buy every upgrade available and play every event before going in to the next mission, so I'm maxed out right now, I'm loving this game SO MUCH, the level of destruction you can make is just awesome and fun.

The game is GREAT fun.

hulot

SanjuroTsubaki said:
The dialog is wonky too.

*Get to your ex-girlfriend Karen Parker*

Barges in her room

You: Karen Parker.
Karen: I thought you were dead!

Come with me if you want to live.
Fixed.

And of course, 'Wait here while there's a huge pulsating monster building across the street while I go pick us up a ride. We'll chill at my pad. Before I get back outside, tell me, do I have enough collars popped?'

Really, the game is hilarious. I can't help but enjoy it.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I've got a bunch of stuff under my HID device list in Device Manager; do you know if these things have to be plugged in to affect the gameplay? Or should I just disable them all?
well, if you disable them all your mouse and keyboard will stop working, so no, don't do that. disable a few, give it a try, rinse repeat.

plagiarize said:
well, if you disable them all your mouse and keyboard will stop working, so no, don't do that. disable a few, give it a try, rinse repeat.

Right, there's stuff like WACOM digitizer, etc...so I'm going to give that a shot. I also updated my chipset and sound drivers as I read last night that it could be a driver issue.

Mrbob

My copy from gamerang shipped today! Should have it early next week.

I look forward to playing this game like a B level direct to dvd movie. If the dialogue and story is as bad as it sounds, that adds to some of the charm.

K' Dash

Baker said:
: Why can't you manually aim weapons except the tank's gun? Do you have to get a tank everytime you want to take down a hive building? I saw no other way to actually hit the things.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong or something, but I only rented the game so I probably won't play it again anyway.

You can trow like 6 cars to the hive/base, you can order an attack, grab a tank, attack it with rocket launchers o make like 6 special attacks 'HOLD Y+B' and it will go down, as far a I'm in to the game, that is, I hope I can hijack helicopters later on, so that woul be another way to take them down.

K' Dash

I see this game support DTS but my setup don't recognize it, is there a way to make it work, I'm I doing somethimg wrong?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
K' Dash said:
I see this game support DTS but my setup don't recognize it, is there a way to make it work, I'm I doing somethimg wrong?

Yeah I'm wondering this as well. This is on the 360 version... I select DTS through the options menu, but my receiver still says "Dolby Digital 5.1".

I didn't think the 360 could output DTS in the first place... how do you get this option to work correctly?

(My receiver handles DTS just fine coming through my optical from my PS3. My 360 is connected to it through optical as well)

Sysgen said:

You get the ability to jack helis later on. I just experimented with orb collection, and you can collect orbs while controlling a heli. So for those that are complaining about controls. Either grab a heli or stop holding down RT.

K' Dash said:
You can trow like 6 cars to the hive/base, you can order an attack, grab a tank, attack it with rocket launchers o make like 6 special attacks 'HOLD Y+B' and it will go down, as far a I'm in to the game, that is, I hope I can hijack helicopters later on, so that woul be another way to take them down.

Helos make hives so easy to defeat. I mean, your helo has the ability to track infected water towers and hives. So you can latch on from the other side of the map and go straight there.

JRW

FlyinJ said:
Yeah I'm wondering this as well. This is on the 360 version... I select DTS through the options menu, but my receiver still says "Dolby Digital 5.1".

I didn't think the 360 could output DTS in the first place... how do you get this option to work correctly?

(My receiver handles DTS just fine coming through my optical from my PS3. My 360 is connected to it through optical as well)

Ya same problem here, perhaps its an HDMI only feature? I can get DTS from my PS3 via Optical as well.

K' Dash

vandalvideo said:
You get the ability to jack helis later on. I just experimented with orb collection, and you can collect orbs while controlling a heli. So for those that are complaining about controls. Either grab a heli or stop holding down RT.

Helos make hives so easy to defeat. I mean, your helo has the ability to track infected water towers and hives. So you can latch on from the other side of the map and go straight there.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Now if someone could help with the DTS question would be great.

Baker

Banned
K' Dash said:
A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Now if someone could help with the DTS question would be great.
It worked on mine last night running through HDMI. At least the light was on and the sound was working. I didn't have it cranked to check out how well it sounded cuz the puppy was sleeping.

K' Dash

Baker said:
It worked on mine last night running through HDMI. At least the light was on and the sound was working. I didn't have it cranked to check out how well it sounded cuz the puppy was sleeping.

mmm, mine is connected through optical, I should try HDMI tonight after work.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played it for a bit yesterday and for now I have to echo what most say. The graphics are ok, they work very well for what you're going to be doing most of the time. The controls have a bit of getting used to and I already feel the game certainly gets better the more you unlock. The combat is average mostly but it's actually deeper than what I expected (at least when you first face those creatures, I just passed that). I like orbs, I like random missions.

The plot is... there. It's point A to point B and it makes me lol sometimes. Just don't go play looking for something with substance. Oh, and don't play this if you feel remorse from killing virtual civilians but that should be obvious by now.

It's overall a pretty fun game. As I said earlier I didn't play neither Hulk UD or Web of Shadows so this also probably makes a difference. Game is great to go crazy and play around, it's so easy to lose yourself in the city doing random things. Sandbox indeed. I'll go play some more right now.

Fuu said:
The plot is... there. It's point A to point B and it makes me lol sometimes. Just don't go play looking for something with substance. Oh, and don't play this if you feel remorse from killing virtual civilians but that should be obvious by now..

After about 30% into the web of intrigue, the plot makes a lot more sense and is actualy quite compelling.

Darklord

Banned
plagiarize said:
i'd play this one with a 360 pad. if you're playing this kind of game on PC and don't have one yet... trust me... it's time.

I don't think games like this NEED a 360 pad. Is this one really that bad though?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
vandalvideo said:
After about 30% into the web of intrigue, the plot makes a lot more sense and is actualy quite compelling.
Ah, that's good to hear. The web of intrigue as a system is interesting.

Sai-kun

Banned
Fuu said:
Oh, and don't play this if you feel remorse from killing virtual civilians but that should be obvious by now.

:lol Oh my god this is so true. It's so hilarious. Oh my god using Shield and running down a sidewalk is the most hilarious thing ever. Hahaha.

luffeN

i also played some hours now and it's really enjoyable. i like it when some of the abilities you start out with are already useful and make you feel powerful. although i normally dont like open world games, prototype has kind of a different feeling to it.

MightyKAC

Beat Infamous a week ago and I still have the "Open world" bug. So I'll prolly pick this one up tomorrow.

Since I have a decently power computer I may go with the PC version if the graphics are THAT much better but if not then I'd rather play it on the big screen.

Darklord

Banned
MightyKAC said:
Beat Infamous a week ago and I still have the "Open world" bug. So I'll prolly pick this one up tomorrow.

Since I have a decently power computer I may go with the PC version if the graphics are THAT much better but if not then I'd rather play it on the big screen.

Apart from higher resolutions I'd say they are near identical.

JRW

SanjuroTsubaki said:
What is the point of collecting orbs when I can only see them on my screen within 10-15 feet or so and not to mention the beautiful skyline of grey when down upon the city.

Huh? You can see orbs from much further away than 15 feet lol.

Case in point:
360_Prototype_Orb__.jpg

^^ From Xbox360 version.

JRW

MightyKAC said:

I have both 360 & PC versions and would recommend console version if its hooked up to a bigger screen, Its just not the same playing it on my 24" PC monitor vs. 50" Plasma.

Darklord

Banned
JRW said:
Huh? You can see orbs from much further away than 15 feet lol.

Case in point:
360_Prototype_Orb__.jpg

^^ From Xbox360 version.

Why does that screenshot look so bad? Holy shit it's like a PS2 game there. None of the other screenshots look like that.

guggnichso

Banned
This game is fucking awesome!

Played 5 hours and I'm having so much fun... what this game lacks in the technical aspect, it makes more than up for in pure hilarous anarchy - dress up like granny and throw cars at helicopters :D :D

Darklord said:
Why does that screenshot look so bad? Holy shit it's like a PS2 game there. None of the other screenshots look like that.

It looks quite a bit better than that. I tried capturing an image, but there was far too much bloodshed going on in my game. Not sure if you can tell;

DSCI0232Small.jpg

MightyKAC

JRW said:
I have both 360 & PC versions and would recommend console version if its hooked up to a bigger screen, Its just not the same playing it on my 24" PC monitor vs. 50" Plasma.

Darklord said:
Apart from higher resolutions I'd say they are near identical.

Votes are in And PS3 Version it is.
Thanks guys.

JRW

Darklord said:

The game is a very mixed bag of bad and decent graphics especially when it comes to the building textures. But most importantly its a lot of fun to play so don't let it bother you to much :D

Top Bottom