• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What's the best way to destroy Hives? Military bases are simple, just jack a tank and blow it, but those hives are annoying, the respawning heavy zombies rip apart the tanks very quickly.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I was planning on getting this on PC, but this version seems to be getting some backlash. Anyone here that has the game running fine?

Dani said:
What's the best way to destroy Hives? Military bases are simple, just jack a tank and blow it, but those hives are annoying, the respawning heavy zombies rip apart the tanks very quickly.

Jacking a tank or AA vehicle near by. There is usually always one. Look for a big white blip.

JRW

Dani said:

Not sure how far in the game you are but a single Critical Pain Devastator attack can destroy hives, I just tried it before posting all I did was target the hive and hold X + B !

Dave1988

dragonflys545 said:
There's custom soundtrack?

Every game on the Xbox360 supports custom soundtracks. This isn't the case on the PS3. Can anyone clarify if PROTOTYPE PS3 has custom soundtrack support?

Just finished the game. The final boss was extremely frustrating and the only way i managed to take it down is by spamming the long range whipfist attack non stop. Otherwise more or less enjoyable, the story kind of falls apart in places and comes together in the others at the end, but really the most interesting bit is just getting those random scenes when you consume key characters.

Playing Prototype for a few hours than jumping right into inFamous is such a jarring experience. The movement abilities of Alex in Prototype (running up walls, faster running, higher jumping, glide, air dash) make Cole feel so weak.

I'm playing both on PS3, and while inFamous looks better in stills, technically it is inferior. Slowdown, and crazy pop in is much much more frequest in inFamous, than Prototype.

Dani said:

Usually I end up throwing cars at it. I also use artillery strikes when I remember that I have them.

mysticstylez said:
I'm playing both on PS3, and while inFamous looks better in stills, technically it is inferior. Slowdown, and crazy pop in is much much more frequest in inFamous, than Prototype.

Prototype should run without slowdown or pop-in, given how flat and undefined it is.

McLovin

So whats the deal with the PC version? No bugs? Performance issues? I have a Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 8800 gts, and 3gb of ram. Think I can get 45-60fps out of it?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Running around doing the random missions is so much fun, I always stop advancing to do all the unlocked ones (I'll aim for gold medals in some of them only when I have more skills though).

Whipfist *bow bow*.

dragonflys545 said:
There's custom soundtrack?
Playing on 360 here. I don't think there's custom soundtrack in the PS3 version though.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Prototype should run without slowdown or pop-in, given how flat and undefined it is.

You should have your name changed to NegativeNancy, you're such a fucking drag. Also, you are delusional to think that any open world game would lack slowdown, pop in, draw in, etc.

mysticstylez said:
You should have your name changed to NegativeNancy, you're such a fucking drag. Also, you are delusional to think that any open world game would lack slowdown, pop in, draw in, etc.

You were the one who brought up graphics, and I'm saying that it damned well should do the things you say since they compromised so many other aspects of graphics.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You were the one who brought up graphics, and I'm saying that it damned well should do the things you say since they compromised so many other aspects of graphics.

Do you think they should have went the route of inFamous with much more detailed world, yet worse performance?

mysticstylez said:
Do you think they should have went the route of inFamous with much more detailed world, yet worse performance?

Nope. Added detail wouldn't serve the same purpose in Prototype as it does in Infamous, so the current approach is probably the best for what they do. Better lightning would certainly be nice, but that too is less important here than it is lightning-based Infamous.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They chose having crazy amounts of people in the streets over higher detail environments. It's a trade off.

Personally I like being able to powerbomb a cluster of 100 people and watch them all fly around.

Sinatar said:
They chose having crazy amounts of people in the streets over higher detail environments. It's a trade off.

Personally I like being able to powerbomb a cluster of 100 people and watch them all fly around.

That and shooting a rocket out of a tank into a crowd and watching them all fly in the air...i love it.

fernoca

What a blast! :)
Running around..jumping..gliding...throwing cars..falling and the impact causing a wave with things/persons flying ..

Love just running around jumping from building to building..and doing the occasional side-mission either to learn more about your past or get more move-upgrades.

JRW

Hmm what is the point in sabotaging the viral detectors again? I did the mission long time ago but it still lets me do it anytime I see one.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Fucking love this game.

Anyways, what's the best way to get those orbs that are REALLY high up on Towers that have those super small, needle-like structures? Alex can't seem to sprint on something that thin and when you use the B button to slowly climb up, he falls off. :(

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Domino Theory said:
Fucking love this game.

Anyways, what's the best way to get those orbs that are REALLY high up on Towers that have those super small, needle-like structures? Alex can't seem to sprint on something that thin and when you use the B button to slowly climb up, he falls off. :(
Try sprinting up the the highest ledge on the tower, jump, and immediately air dash twice after tapping A; you'll dash upwards instead of forwards. It has to be right after you jump, though. Otherwise...try your best sprinting straight up. Good luck!

Pein

Banned
McLovin said:
So whats the deal with the PC version? No bugs? Performance issues? I have a Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 8800 gts, and 3gb of ram. Think I can get 45-60fps out of it?
it'll run fine, but you'd probably get something like 30fps and will probably dip when lots of crazy shit is happening

This game is a rollercoaster ride for all the wrong reasons. It starts off shit with that Metroid thing, then it progressively becomes better for a couple hours, then around mission 24 it becomes bad again where it's a bunch of nonsense happening and one alarm auto-spawns two tanks and four helicopters that all launch missiles at your ass.

I liked the feeling of getting powerful, don't stop that by introducing cheap enemies. The worst is that they do introduce stronger soldiers, yet you can't even fight them as intended (wait for them to get stunned, then do a grab move) because there are about 20 other fodder regular enemies shooting rockets at you along with the aforementioned tanks and helicopters.

I'm hoping there is another fun ride of feeling like a badass later on, because the middle section of the game is way awesome. Plus, the city isn't all ugly shit smeared during that time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Domino Theory said:
Fucking love this game.

Wait until you get your hands on helicopter hijacking then just fly through them.

Fuu

It's pretty intense when you have to face that fuckload of strike teams after
McMullen doesn't land with the heli

Domino Theory said:
Fucking love this game.

Eventually your jump power will be good enough that if you can just work your way to the base of the part that is too narrow to run up you can just jump up to it.

JRW

wayward archer said:
Eventually your jump power will be good enough that if you can just work your way to the base of the part that is too narrow to run up you can just jump up to it.

Or just hijack a helicopter and fly to it.

JRW said:
Hmm what is the point in sabotaging the viral detectors again? I did the mission long time ago but it still lets me do it anytime I see one.

It just lets you walk up to them while disguised as a soldier and turn them off without being noticed.

Nemesis_

Fuu said:
It's pretty intense when you have to face that fuckload of strike teams after
McMullen doesn't land with the heli
Is this in the mission folowing that or the part where you need to outrun / destroy them to complete THAT mission?

Because if it is the latter, I didn't quite find it that hard >_> Mind you I've been grinding my powers like crazy.

Speaking of which I'm up to the boss battle
inside the hive
but haven't completed any missions without alerting the military, have I lost my opportunity? >_>

Fuu

It's the latter, haha. Not finding it really hard, just intense in a good way.

edit: accidentally managed to hide from then, kind of an anti-climax. :lol

Zeliard

Teetris said:
I was planning on getting this on PC, but this version seems to be getting some backlash. Anyone here that has the game running fine?

Yes. 40+ FPS at virtually all times on max settings at 1680x1050, often going up to 60. It should be running at a fairly constant 60 with any good rig considering the tech it's pushing, or rather the lack thereof, but it's still an acceptable port.

There's apparently a bug if you have too many HID devices attached to your computer that causes the game to slow down, though. Might want to check on that. Wasn't an issue for me.

outsida

McLovin said:

I have a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz paired with a 4890 940/1100 and 4 gigs of ram. With everything cranked... no matter what its pretty much locked at 35 fps. for what its worrth it runs very, very smooth though doesn't even seem to be that low.

outsida

Zeliard said:
There's apparently a bug if you have too many HID devices attached to your computer that causes the game to slow down, though. Might want to check on that. Wasn't an issue for me.

I wonder if this is why my system doesn't go higher then 35fps...

Movement

Ugh the controls are just terrible. If it controlled like Infamous, it would be so much better.
There's almost no weight to the character, and when sprinting I hate it how the game makes your character jump for you. It just feels loose and sloppy, which ruins it for me. It is fun, but definately not great.

The graphics reminded me of Spider man 2 on PS2, developed by Treyarch, I forgot for a moment I was playing a PS3 game. :0

Zeliard

outsida said:
I wonder if this is why my system doesn't go higher then 35fps...

Possibly, but I don't know exactly how that bug slows the game down (as in whether it cuts the max FPS down or causes it to stutter, or both). Check your device manager for any unnecessary HID devices you have attached that you can remove.

It's a strange bug. Don't think I've ever seen it before.

outsida

Zeliard said:
Possibly, but I don't know exactly how that bug slows the game down (as in whether it cuts the max FPS down or causes it to stutter, or both). Check your device manager for any unnecessary HID devices you have attached that you can remove.

It's a strange bug. Don't think I've ever seen it before.

Yup I had like 12 or so listed in my device manager for some reason but I only have an external HD hooked up and one thumb drive... wierd. I disabled like 6 of them and the frames are now in the 45-60 (45- 80+ range wit v-sync off) range. I'm gonna try and disable more and see how high it goes. i'm actually kinda pissed that I've played through half of this game with lower frame then I could have had. It looks so much smoother now >=( actually posting this from the game via the steam web browser.

JRW

lol I decided to try disabling all HID devices except for mouse+keyboard and the framerate went up an average 10-15fps, This same problem occurs in Win 7 and XP (dual booting) What a weird bug.

Nikorasu

I actually wasn't really paying any attention to this game at all, but I just got an Impulse coupon for 20% off from a Demigod promo, so I picked this up on a whim. Downloading at 1.8mbps :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Weird, guess I'll wait for a patch to fix it then before buying. From the little bits I played I really liked the game alot. Like Spider-Man on speed.

Linkzg said:
I liked the feeling of getting powerful, don't stop that by introducing cheap enemies. The worst is that they do introduce stronger soldiers, yet you can't even fight them as intended (wait for them to get stunned, then do a grab move) because there are about 20 other fodder regular enemies shooting rockets at you along with the aforementioned tanks and helicopters.

There are 2 cheap enemies in the game if you don't count the boss fight and that is the super soldiers and the leader hunters. But i don't see why you are complaining about tanks and helicopters when it takes seconds to steal or destroy them.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Is the Wolfenstein trailer in the extra menu censored for everyone? I have the UK 360 version and the swastika are blurred.

Darklord

Banned
I'm still not sure what version to get. I want the PC one but so far 2 people have told me the controls suck and 2 have told me there fine. I think I might just buy it and find out for myself.

Sidzed2

Hmmm, just beat the game, and I have to say that it was one of the sloppiest, most erratic, duct-taped-together titles I have ever played.

The controls were messy, the graphics were mediocre and the story was hokum (but terribly-presented hokum).

There were moments of fun and carnage in between the lacklustre missions but overall, I think it is a weak title which coasts on its gore and the lure of special abilities.

GAH! This game annoyed me very much. I know we're not supposed to compare them, but InFamous trumps this on about a dozen levels.

At least I was compelled to finish it.

It's a 6.5 out of 10 - just above average.

Turfster

Darklord said:
I'm still not sure what version to get. I want the PC one but so far 2 people have told me the controls suck and 2 have told me there fine. I think I might just buy it and find out for myself.
The PC version is a game of chance, really.
If you're lucky, it runs fine.
If you're not (like me and quite a lot of other people all over the world), you get random "we don't really give a shit about the PC version" port bugs like no or broken sound/4fps/no AA/limited controller support and many many more...

Top Bottom