• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Sorry to ask again but could someone please check if the Wolfenstein trailer in the extra menu is censored? I wonder if I somehow bought a censored version of Prototype.

kamorra said:
Sorry to ask again but could someone please check if the Wolfenstein trailer in the extra menu is censored? I wonder if I somehow bought a censored version of Prototype.

Do you happen to shop at Walmart? :D

Zeliard

Felix Lighter said:
Giant Bomb Quick Look

Definitely looks fun. The graphics don't look great but I've been playing a lot of open world games lately, so I've become accustom to graphical compromises. They don't seem nearly as offensive as I was lead to believe though.

The graphical issues only bother me when I'm flying up buildings and running along rooftops and such. The textures on the buildings are some of the worst I've seen, honestly, and I don't put an amazing amount of weight on the visuals especially in an open-world game (I think GTAIV despite its visual issues is one of the best-looking games this gen).

But when I see a single muddy texture repeated ad infinitum all over every building in the game, it takes me out of it a bit. And then I glide down to the street and eat some fucker's heart, and all is well again. The moves all animate pretty well so the game is easier on the eyes when everything on-screen is moving, which is often.

Just saw a massive zombie attack on a military base. At least once while playing you should get up on a roof and just watch, especially late in the game when most of the city is infected... kinda cool to watch it unfold.

Zeliard said:
The graphical issues only bother me when I'm flying up buildings and running along rooftops and such. The textures on the buildings are some of the worst I've seen, honestly, and I don't put an amazing amount of weight on the visuals especially in an open-world game (I think GTAIV despite its visual issues is one of the best-looking games this gen).

But when I see a single muddy texture repeated ad infinitum all over every building in the game, it takes me out of it a bit. And then I glide down to the street and eat some fucker's heart, and all is well again. The moves all animate pretty well so the game is easier on the eyes when everything on-screen is moving, which is often.

He stays in constant motion in the quick look and there's lots of action so I guess I never had an opportunity to see the worst of graphical problems.

Movement

Sidzed2 said:
Hmmm, just beat the game, and I have to say that it was one of the sloppiest, most erratic, duct-taped-together titles I have ever played.

The controls were messy, the graphics were mediocre and the story was hokum (but terribly-presented hokum).

There were moments of fun and carnage in between the lacklustre missions but overall, I think it is a weak title which coasts on its gore and the lure of special abilities.

GAH! This game annoyed me very much. I know we're not supposed to compare them, but InFamous trumps this on about a dozen levels.

At least I was compelled to finish it.

It's a 6.5 out of 10 - just above average.
Yea I completely agree.

Zzoram

I rented this game and it is pretty fun. The framerate is rock solid, and you guys are being way too picky about graphics, they look fine to me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I love how this game is completely unoptimized for the PC. I can change the settings from max at 1920x1200 to medium at 1280x800 and get the same framerate lol.

Zzoram

_tetsuo_ said:
I love how this game is completely unoptimized for the PC. I can change the settings from max at 1920x1200 to medium at 1280x800 and get the same framerate lol.

That can also be a sign of being CPU limited. What is your CPU/GPU?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zzoram said:
That can also be a sign of being CPU limited. What is your CPU/GPU?

Don't think Prototype would be the game for that. I have a Phenom 9750 with a slight overclock on it.

JRW

_tetsuo_ said:

Yea the game definitely seems to have some optimization issues, Have you tried disabling any undeeded HID devices in device manager? I was able to gain 10-15fps by doing so. The game needs a patch to address this, more info here: http://forums.activision.com/viewforum.php?f=47&sid=ff72df07ad597e61b0270b68421067a3

Sanjuro

I honestly can't understand the praise this game has. I dislike almost everything about it. The controls make me want to die.

Dave1988

K' Dash said:

Yeah, you really showed him. Your arguments are flawless.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I honestly can't understand the praise this game has. I dislike almost everything about it. The controls make me want to die.

I think you just have to approach this game with a specific mindset. This game is just mindless unltrviolent fun and as such it should be perceived.

Sanjuro

Dave1988 said:
I think you just have to approach this game with a specific mindset. This game is just mindless unltrviolent fun and as such it should be perceived.
I get that. I was looking for something to play in my free time until Ghostbusters. I think having played inFamous it just makes this game's weaknesses stick out like a very sore thumb.

Captain N said:
How does this game compare to HULK that they made?
I didn't know the same team made the Hulk. If you are talking about the Ultimate Destruction I enjoyed that game much more.

JRW

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I get that. I was looking for something to play in my free time until Ghostbusters. I think having played inFamous it just makes this game's weaknesses stick out like a very sore thumb.

I didn't know the same team made the Hulk. If you are talking about the Ultimate Destruction I enjoyed that game much more.

Something tells me you haven't spent enough time with Prototype yet.

PBY

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I've spent at least four or five hours with the game.
Thats just kind of crazy talk then, because H:UD was one of my go to games last gen, in the sense that every once in a while i'd pop it in and destroy shit. Prototype is similarly rough around the edges, but the gameplay is better- more fighting options, more parkour options, and the ability to jack vehicles. Its basically a reskinned Hulk game with more options for HD consoles

Sanjuro

peterb0y said:
Thats just kind of crazy talk then, because H:UD was one of my go to games last gen, in the sense that every once in a while i'd pop it in and destroy shit. Prototype is similarly rough around the edges, but the gameplay is better- more fighting options, more parkour options, and the ability to jack vehicles. Its basically a reskinned Hulk game with more options for HD consoles
It does feel similar to the Hulk in terms of control. In terms of story and missions they feel very opposite. Hulk had a much better variety of missions than this game does. This game suffers from much more graphical problems than the Hulk did as well regardless of the more powerful hardware.

JdFoX187

Banned
I got a new stereo hooked up last night and tried this thing this morning. Started out by attacking one of the military bases and wow. I love the surround sound on it.

It took me a little while to get used to the controls. But now that I am, Prototype is insanely fun. I'm trying to get my movement upgraded just so I can run around and do crazy shit :lol.

I don't see what everyone is complaining about when it comes to the graphics. For everything this game does, I say they're pretty good.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
It does feel similar to the Hulk in terms of control. In terms of story and missions they feel very opposite. Hulk had a much better variety of missions than this game does. This game suffers from much more graphical problems than the Hulk did as well regardless of the more powerful hardware.

Not really seeing that, i'm on day 12 and the missions feel pretty varied. Just played one where you have to consume a helicopter pilot and support the military as they attack 3 different infected sites and it's pretty much completely different from any other mission i've played. Not to mention the ability to use disguises gives you multiple ways to beat most of them.

GAZERK said:
How does this control on PC? Is it kind of wonky on a keyboard or will I be fine?

I tried it briefly and, well... i'd highly recommend getting a 360 pad.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Who are you trying to fool? The controls are amazing. You just can't ajust to them fast enough, not the game's mistake.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sai-kun said:
How the hell do I use Critical Mass attacks?
Having Critical Mass means you can get extra health (the blue bar). The Devastator attacks are separate upgrades you have to buy that you can unleash while you're in Critical Mass (or during Adrenaline Surge).

The command is shown when you buy them, for intance "Groundspike Graveyard Devastator" = [hold]X+Y (this one appears in the Combat>Area Effect list).

hulot

SanjuroTsubaki said:
This game suffers from much more graphical problems than the Hulk did as well regardless of the more powerful hardware.
It's been a long time since I've played Hulk. What graphical problems are worse?

For my playthrough, I've done about half the missions and sure they're sloppily presented but the fact is that most of them have so many different avenues of approach making the game that much more dynamic. Graphics really aren't important but considering how much chaos this game can generate and still keep a solid framerate, I'd say this game does just fine. And of course, gameplay is fantastic. People who flat-out don't like it just aren't really looking for an over-the-top supervillain game it seems. There are valid complaints to be made but this 'x is better stuff' is played out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really like this game that much. The movement is pretty fun but the missions are really sloppy to me and often the controls trip me up-- some of the special powers have sort of arcane or unintuitive command schemes that don't really replicate other third person action controls. I just did a mission where I had to take out patrols searching for Dana's apartment and it was like I had to take out 8 or 9 waves of them...I was driving around in such a slow moving tank...it was just so freaking boring.

Also, as a New Yorker, this city sucks. I tried to find where I work and where I live but the scale is just totally off and it feels so soulless.

Sai-kun

Banned
Fuu said:
Having Critical Mass means you can get extra health (the blue bar). The Devastator attacks are separate upgrades you have to buy that you can unleash while you're in Critical Mass (or during Adrenaline Surge).

The command is shown when you buy them, for intance "Groundspike Graveyard Devastator" = [hold]X+Y (this one appears in the Combat>Area Effect list).

So it's not Hold X then press Y, it's hold X and Y? D:

JdFoX187

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I don't really like this game that much. The movement is pretty fun but the missions are really sloppy to me and often the controls trip me up-- some of the special powers have sort of arcane or unintuitive command schemes that don't really replicate other third person action controls. I just did a mission where I had to take out patrols searching for Dana's apartment and it was like I had to take out 8 or 9 waves of them...I was driving around in such a slow moving tank...it was just so freaking boring.

Also, as a New Yorker, this city sucks. I tried to find where I work and where I live but the scale is just totally off and it feels so soulless.
I completed that mission earlier. I got to the point where I bailed out of the tank and ran to the next patrol, jacked a tank and rinse and repeat. It would have been better if there weren't so many waves.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sai-kun said:
So it's not Hold X then press Y, it's hold X and Y? D:
Yup, hold both buttons. Mercer will start doing a pose instead of attacking normally, just keep holding it until he unleashes. The same applies to Tendril Barrage, but with Y+B.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
GAZERK said:
How does this control on PC? Is it kind of wonky on a keyboard or will I be fine?
It isn't wonky, but some things are awkward. Its probably easier for targetting though, especially if you assign targetting and switch ability to your extra mouse buttons.

JRW

wayward archer said:
It just lets you walk up to them while disguised as a soldier and turn them off without being noticed.

Yea I meant I forgot how they effected gameplay but I figured it out through trial & error ..if you walk into a base as a soldier the detection meter will still slowly rise until red alert if there's any viral detectors around.. So its best to sabotage them.

ultron87

Fuu said:
Yup, hold both buttons. Mercer will start doing a pose instead of attacking normally, just keep holding it until he unleashes. The same applies to Tenoril Barrage, but with Y+B.

Tendril Barrage is so ridiculously useful in a few of the missions. Especially the one
where you have to stop the patrols from getting to your sister's place. I pretty much just grabbed enough civilians in between patrols so I could just let off a tendril barrage as I arrived at each patrol. That made the mission really easy.

I'm about halfway through, and the only missions that I had serious problems with was the series where
they pull the damn "Take Away Half Your Powers" card. But then force you to have to kill like 12 tanks. Getting the armor and blade at the end of those missions made it all worth it though.

Sidzed2

Mr. Durden said:
Who are you trying to fool? The controls are amazing. You just can't ajust to them fast enough, not the game's mistake.

The game's controls are certainly not 'amazing' in my opinion. I'd say sloppy, clumsy and cluttered. No 'amazing'.

Top Bottom