• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

bathala

Banned
graphics r not as good as infamous but the powers r fun

i was blown away during the tutorial when I was fighting one of those the monsters MID-Air

Sidzed2 said:
The game's controls are certainly not 'amazing' in my opinion. I'd say sloppy, clumsy and cluttered. No 'amazing'.

I think they're fine. I never get frustrated by them, and I can pretty much pull off any move and get pretty much anywhere I want to be at will, even in the middle of a huge fight.

Most importantly while the game is really hard at some points is I never feel like I die because of the controls. That's a game breaker for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I find there to be no really comfortable way to keep my hands on the sticks and hold X AND Y together.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I traded this game in. After beating the encounter with
the hunters inside the building with all the fuel tanks
, I decided this game wasn't for me. While the controls are nice and all when you're leaping over buildings and gliding down to the streets, in the midst of a heated battle, just trying to stop and pick something up can be a huge pain in the ass.

I did like the story quite a bit (the little I saw of it), so I'l have to Youtube the cinematics when they're all available.

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
Speaking of which I'm up to the boss battle
inside the hive
but haven't completed any missions without alerting the military, have I lost my opportunity? >_>
Quoted again >_> I just completed the mission where Dana
is taken away by the Leader Hunter
and I've finished one mission without alerting the military. Are there at least two more which I can complete without alerting the military.....I want my achievement. =(

fernoca

Chiggs said:
, I decided this game wasn't for me. While the controls are nice and all when you're leaping over buildings and gliding down to the streets, in the midst of a heated battle, just trying to stop and pick something up can be a huge pain in the ass.
That's like Mission 3 or something.. :p ..plus there's an upgrade/move to pick stuff as you run..(if that's what you meant)

Oh well..

ultron87

fernoca said:
That's like Mission 3 or something.. :p ..plus there's an upgrade/move to pick stuff as you run..(if that's what you meant)

Oh well..

Is there ever a consume stuff while on the run move? Because if that existed I would pretty much never die.

Zzoram

So I am on mission 27? out of 31 for the main story.

This boss fight is total bullshit. I've been at it for 2 hours and finally I gave up, because my hands hurt. I don't even want to play this game anymore.

If anyone beat this boss easily, let me know.
It's where you fight Greene as a giant tentacle monster, you have to kill the tentacles for her weak spot to get exposed, you hit it a bit then you have to kill stronger tentacles to get to her weak spot, and it keeps repeating but gets harder each time. She shoots homing acid at you constantly, along with rocks, and there are an unending stream of hunters that attack you. What the fuck are you supposed to do. I got her down to half health using the whip arm to poke her, tossing a few cars, and having to eat constantly, and it took forever to get her down to half health

Nemesis_

ultron87 said:
Is there ever a consume stuff while on the run move? Because if that existed I would pretty much never die.
There is one where you can grab people while running, that's what I do. Basically, grabs someone while running and just run up to a building and consume them. =P

Zzoram

Chiggs said:

I did like the story quite a bit (the little I saw of it), so I'l have to Youtube the cinematics when they're all available.

If you thought that was frustrating, good thing you traded it in now. There is a similar fight to that later but
against super soldiers and marines
and it drove me nuts, it took me 10 tries on Normal. Then there is the boss fight on Mission 27, which is several degrees more frustrating than those encounters.

ultron87

Nemesis556 said:
There is one where you can grab people while running, that's what I do. Basically, grabs someone while running and just run up to a building and consume them. =P

That works until there's about 4 helicopters following you everywhere and constantly firing rockets at you. The animation for consuming is just long enough to let them get a bead on you and stop you from actually consuming the person.

Nemesis556 said:
and I've finished one mission without alerting the military. Are there at least two more which I can complete without alerting the military.....I want my achievement. =(

You can still get it, the missions you do for Ragland is where I got mine.

hulot

Nemesis556 said:
There are a few more, the ones involving a doctor.

Nemesis_

ultron87 said:
That works until there's about 4 helicopters following you everywhere and constantly firing rockets at you. The animation for consuming is just long enough to let them get a bead on you and stop you from actually consuming the person.
Well, I used that method in Normal and I got by fine. Get better. :D

Captain N

Some of these trophies seem tough/ time consuming.

Does anyone know if DC is making a [Prototype] comic? I noticed a few DC Comics ads.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chiggs said:

I thought that mission was fucking AWFUL, but I laughed so hard at "THEY KEEP COMING, I KEEP KILLING" that I continued to play for the lulz. But I think I'm about done.

Justin

Zzoram said:

This boss fight is total bullshit. I've been at it for 2 hours and finally I gave up, because my hands hurt. I don't even want to play this game anymore.

It's where you fight Greene as a giant tentacle monster, you have to kill the tentacles for her weak spot to get exposed, you hit it a bit then you have to kill stronger tentacles to get to her weak spot, and it keeps repeating but gets harder each time. She shoots homing acid at you constantly, along with rocks, and there are an unending stream of hunters that attack you. What the fuck are you supposed to do. I got her down to half health using the whip arm to poke her, tossing a few cars, and having to eat constantly, and it took forever to get her down to half health

Use the blade, run to the top of one of the near by buildings, jump off and use the attack where you hold y in the air. It takes off a ton of life. If you start to get low on health there are like 1000 dudes to eat if you just run a block down

MightyKAC

Captain N said:
Some of these trophies seem tough/ time consuming.

Does anyone know if DC is making a [Prototype] comic? I noticed a few DC Comics ads.

There is an ongoing Prototype comic already out now. The first one came out about a week or 2 before the game hit the streets. Last I checked it was on its 3rd issue.

Gritty stuff but a decently written look into the backstory overall.

Edit: ok I'm wrong this comic came out MONTHS before the games release.

kaskade

Are game companies not sending out as many rental copies? I called to see if they had it in the other day and i was told they only received one copy. I do want to play it.

Zzoram

Justin said:
Use the blade, run to the top of one of the near by buildings, jump off and use the attack where you hold y in the air. It takes off a ton of life. If you start to get low on health there are like 1000 dudes to eat if you just run a block down

I'll try it tomorrow when I can feel my hands. I played 15 hours of Prototype today :lol

Nemesis_

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Are game companies not sending out as many rental copies? I called to see if they had it in the other day and i was told they only received one copy. I do want to play it.
Aren't rental stores just businesses that buy in copies themselves, when I worked at one in my younger years, they chose which games they bought and such.

I have no idea how it works now, haven't rented anything for years. :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
So Ive recently run into a hive that I cant blow up no matter what, it even looks bigger on the map.

Is it permanent, or will I be able to destroy it with something later?

Zzoram

ThePeacemaker02 said:

The Blockbuster I have a Game Pass at got 10 copies of Prototype for 360.

Nightz

This game really isn't doing it for me. I'm having fun causing chaos and destroying stuff, but that's pretty much it. The story isn't pulling me in, the controls feel weird, and doing missions seems like a chore. I really wanted to like this game, but I just don't think I can. :(

Zzoram

Dead said:
So Ive recently run into a hive that I cant blow up no matter what, it even looks bigger on the map.

Is it permanent, or will I be able to destroy it something later?

It's probably the next main mission you are about to accept, but spawned in the free roam mode between main missions.

Zzoram

Please tell me that
Greene tentacle boss
is the hardest fight in the game. I don't think I could stand the next 4-6 levels being more frustrating.

Captain N

I wish they'd let me play through on Hard before beating the game first(Can you?).

I'd love to see this team work on a new Spider-Man game or even a Daredevil one.

MightyKAC

I like the fact that this game has so many powerups to chose from but why do sooo many of them have to be FUCKING USELESS?? >:p

Zzoram said:
Please tell me that
Greene tentacle boss
is the hardest fight in the game. I don't think I could stand the next 4-6 levels being more frustrating.

Sorry, but no.
The last one is worse. No people around to regain health, and at one point there is a timer forcing you to finish it within a time limit. You can't even pilot vehicles during these fight.

Chiggs

Gold Member
fernoca said:

Oh well..

:lol

Well, had I known that, I might have toughed it out.

Zzoram said:

Uh, maybe not.

Linkzg said:
Sorry, but no.
The last one is worse. No people around to regain health, and at one point there is a timer forcing you to finish it within a time limit. You can't even pilot vehicles during these fight.

Holy fuck. I'm glad I traded it in; sounds awfully hardcore. I'd love to watch a video of someone beating it.

Sadly, my days of masochist gaming are over...the original Far Cry on Veteran was enough to make me write bad poetry and cut myself.

Zzoram said:

On normal. I only had to knock her down once until the military showed up so for the rest of the fight i used the constantly respawning abrams to take care of her. The only problem i had is the shockwave that she does that can almost one shot you, but its not that hard to just run away from it and hide behind a building until it ends.

The final boss fight is frustrating but i managed to get it done in 2 attempts by only using the whipfist non stop

KingJ2002

I just started playing this game... aside from the funky controls the game is fun... but i guess it might get painful... in which case it goes back to gamefly... as did virtua tennis 2009

Chiggs said:
Sadly, my days of masochist gaming are over...the original Far Cry on Veteran was enough to make me write bad poetry and cut myself.

i loled

Zzoram said:

What I did was run around the corner where the homing attacks can't hit you. The hunters and fat dudes (do they have a name?) will constantly come after you, so kill them and grab their stuff to fill your health. Once you have critical mass, run out and use a devastator on the boss. Then run back around the corner and recharge.

Ri'Orius

So, I've been playing the game (just did the first mission for Ragland), and am starting to notice a frustrating trend: (story) missions consist of a huge battle with limitless enemies, and your job is to accomplish some objective (consume a guy, kill five specific guys, etc.) amidst the chaos.

Am I the only one who wants to be able to kill everyone? But if they keep spawning, then it just seems so futile... So I end up running into a bunch of guys I want to kill, but I know that killing them is pointless, so I try to just do the objective, but then the enemies (that I can't really kill) kill me... argh... Am I making any sense? Am I misunderstanding the game? Am I going to dislike the rest of the game?

Also, I don't have any Devastator attacks yet... I got the critical mass upgrade, but don't think I have any at my disposal. Am I missing something, or are those unlocked later?

Climbing mechanism is total crap. I'm trying to go up and game just fucking throw Alex sliding left or right. There is this landmark orb on top of the pole of building. Pole doesn't have flat surface and Alex keep sliding left and right and jumping off the building. That's just one example.

Also doesn anybody else find it text in menus hard to read? It's combination of bad color choice plus all caps, fonts that makes is hard to read.

So I have just started playing this game, after having played the other 2 sandbox games(red faction, InFamous)

Can't say I am really digging it. It is decent fun and some of the powers seem cool, but compared to the other two it just feels unpolished. I really hate how the city looks. It is just so flat and bland so far.

I am going to give it a bit more time to see if it grows on me, but not looking good so far.

MightyKAC

So I picked this game up day before yesterday and I'd say I'm about 3/4th's of the way through it. Overall I think its a good game, most of the things that people didn't like (the controls, the missions etc.) I found myself enjoying. And as a "superhero" game it does convey a great deal of power to the player. Which to me translated into a whole lot of fun.

Its a shame that this came out so close to Infamous as some will only look at this game in direct comparison and not on it own as it should be.

If I had 2 complaints about it its that A. Its bit on the short side. and B. The story never did enough to make me care much about what was going on.

So, long story short good game, but not $60 good.

JRW

MirageDwarf said:
Climbing mechanism is total crap. I'm trying to go up and game just fucking throw Alex sliding left or right. There is this landmark orb on top of the pole of building. Pole doesn't have flat surface and Alex keep sliding left and right and jumping off the building. That's just one example.

Also doesn anybody else find it text in menus hard to read? It's combination of bad color choice plus all caps, fonts that makes is hard to read.

Yea I had the same problem with an orb way up on a pole, it took me awhile & some luck to reach it but afterwards realised I could have hijacked a helicopter and flown right to it instead.

No problems with the text here.

JRW said:
Yea I had the same problem with an orb way up on a pole, it took me awhile & some luck to reach it but afterwards realised I could have hijacked a helicopter and flown right to it instead.

No problems with the text here.
or you can just wait until you've levelled up his jump more. as i said before, they should have just had him not able to run up poles. those poles expose a whole bunch of problems, that aside from those orbs... are never an issue.

played a lot more last night. Prototype may lack the polish of a lot of open world superhero games, but it's got polish in the right places for me.

the stupid number of attacks and option is definitely a plus for me... and the animation is definitely the oil that keeps this one going. particularly useful or not, you always look so amazingly bad ass when doing anything.

the hammer throw thing with the hammer fists (hold Y while running) is amazing. i NEED to beat this, just so i can do new game + with all my powers and a city with basically nothing going on.

MightyKAC said:
So I picked this game up day before yesterday and I'd say I'm about 3/4th's of the way through it. Overall I think its a good game, most of the things that people didn't like (the controls, the missions etc.) I found myself enjoying. And as a "superhero" game it does convey a great deal of power to the player. Which to me translated into a whole lot of fun.

Its a shame that this came out so close to Infamous as some will only look at this game in direct comparison and not on it own as it should be.

If I had 2 complaints about it its that A. Its bit on the short side. and B. The story never did enough to make me care much about what was going on.

Have you been doing the web of intrigue and side missions? You miss out alot of story if you don't do the web. It took me a good 14 hours to complete the game, InFAMOUS around 10.

MirageDwarf said:

You're generally not supposed to be getting a lot of orbs until later on in the game when you have a helicopter. That is how I got those spire orbs.

MightyKAC said:

i think it compares pretty favorably. Infamous is going to be liked for it's better production values, for it's moral choices, for it's more traditional platforming. Prototype is going to be liked for it's over the top gore, incredible movement, and really open ended mission structure (LOTS of freedom in how you approach each mission).

the problem with the story is the same problem GTA 4 had. at least while i'm playing it, the inconsistancy between Alex Mercer in the cutscenes, and Alex Mercer when i'm in control of him is shockingly apparent. one is an angry guy out for revenge, and the other is a gleefully evil bastard reveling in the torment of innocents.

JRW

plagiarize said:
or you can just wait until you've levelled up his jump more. as i said before, they should have just had him not able to run up poles. those poles expose a whole bunch of problems, that aside from those orbs... are never an issue.

My jump was already at Max. I reached it eventually but it wasnt fun.

Top Bottom