• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

Majmun

Got my copy saturday.
It's so strange to play this game after Infamous.
Everything is so fast in this game :lol

The games are so different, but still so good. I only did the tutorial so far. And I liked what I played. WTF was going on?

I'm going to play this after I've finished Infamous.

ezekial45

Banned
Beat it last night, and had a blast the entire thing through. I felt right at home after playing their Hulk game a few years ago. In fact, a lot of the moves are lifted straight from that game. Hell, this game makes my hand sore just like the Hulk game did.

I didn't really have much difficulties, expect for these two instances.

1. Elizabeth Greene fight. This was one of the most frustrating things i've played through in awhile.
2. 2nd Supreme Hunter fight. Not only was the time limit an issue, but i had no idea how exactly to stun it. I had to throw stuff at for the remainder of the fight and beat it with only 2 secs left when i used the muscleman power.

That was really disappointing that they just threw another Supreme Hunter for you to fight, especially as the last boss fight.

Right now, i'm trying to get golds on all the side missions. How do you unlock the Platinum challenges?

Still loving the SHIT outta this game. Just beat mission 15 so Id say I'm at the halfway mark. Also just sneaked into a building, stealth killed my targets, and got the ability to jack helicopters.

This shit is bad ASS! I love how he jumps in and just slaughters the two dudes in the cockpit!

Quick question though. I could swear there was mention when the game was being made that you could grab rockets and throw them back? Is that still in the game as a ability or no?

Nemesis_

Fuu said:
Just optional closure. I even did it after the end of the game.
Hmmm, I just remembered to ask something.

How does the game handle post game? Upon completion of all the missions do you get to go running around doing more stuff, collecting Web targets and anything else you missed?

Or should I just wait until the final mission and do all my stuff before attempting it?

Sysgen

ezekial45 said:
Right now, i'm trying to get golds on all the side missions. How do you unlock the Platinum challenges?

By getting all golds.

The only side mission that I came across so far that I've failed to get gold is the Explosive mission where you're given a rocket launcher. I think I need to upgrade my RL ability. It starts in front of a small clock tower. Had a bit of trouble with Street Sweeper until I upgraded my whip abilities to literally sweep with the whip. Some of the sequences in this game that you wind up creating are epic.

Davidion

I've played the first couple of missions and I see what people mean about the controls; flying off of the building when I was trying to scale is such a common occurrence. I'm slowly beginning to appreciate the finer skill of taking your hands off the goddamn move buttons in this game.

It's all great fun though; it really is be-a-dick: the game.

Bought and played about an hour and a half last night. While I'm just loving the insanity of the game, two things I love:

1) DID I JUST ELBOW DROP ON A TANK DURING THE OPENING MISSION

2) Using the grab while running to nab a Web target and then hauling ass up a building to consume in peace is downright funny to watch and awesome at the same time. I missed one time and realized later I had some poor civilian instead. :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nemesis556 said:
Hmmm, I just remembered to ask something.

How does the game handle post game? Upon completion of all the missions do you get to go running around doing more stuff, collecting Web targets and anything else you missed?

Or should I just wait until the final mission and do all my stuff before attempting it?
The bolded happens. You can still play after you finish the game. You get the entire city with some infected areas and all of the events and missions unlocked (everything else too, WOI targets, etc) for you to complete. No need to keep a save before the last boss or start a new save, just beat the game and keep playing normally.

K' Dash

Fuu said:
The bolded happens. You can still play after you finish the game. You get the entire city with some infected areas and all of the events and missions unlocked (everything else too, WOI targets, etc) for you to complete. No need to keep a save before the last boss or start a new save, just beat the game and keep playing normally.

Excelent.

Fuu said:

And then there's also a New Game+ option if you feel like going through the game again with all the powers and events unlocked from the start.

This might sound odd, but does anyone know where I could get the Prototype Standee thats in stores? Both my local gameshops already have people that are claiming it damnit.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone bites. :lol

Zzoram

Last boss:

Am I the only one who can't use Critical Pain properly? Every time I use it, it does 0 damage. Every single time. I don't even bother anymore.

Also, how the hell do you guys have enough health to use Devastators when the timer starts?

ezekial45

Banned
All i did was use the muscle mass power and threw stuff at him. When the timer started i threw enough stuff at to get his health down far enough to beat with a few punches and kicks.

Not sure if there is an easier way, but thats how i did it.

I'm trying to change what I can to make the game not look so old compared to HL2, TF2, L4D, The Witcher, etc. Mercer looks great, as do some of the monsters but the city is so bland when its not being covered up by smoke and fire :D

NVIDIA panel is set to force certain options in the game but I'm not sure about what I have to do to extend draw distance or reduce fog. It makes everything so brown.

Maybe Steam or Activision forums have some info.

AFreak

Banned
It's a pretty good game, but one thing I can't understand is...how the fuck do you do devastator attacks? I unlocked the power that grants it, but can't do shit with it...ugh. I wish they explained shit better in this game.

Dizzle24

AFreak said:
It's a pretty good game, but one thing I can't understand is...how the fuck do you do devastator attacks? I unlocked the power that grants it, but can't do shit with it...ugh. I wish they explained shit better in this game.

You need to purchase Critical Mass before you can use them.

Each Devastator ability has a description in the Upgrade menu, detailing the buttons you need to press and hold.

Zzoram

Ok, I beat it on Normal and unlocked Hard. Turns out you have to LT lock on before using Critical Pain to make it hit anything.

You know what's awful? When you beat it on Normal you can New Game+ Normal or Easy, but you can't for Hard. You have to beat Hard from scratch before you can New Game+ it. Pretty annoying.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So yeah, another GAF hate train for no reason...wait, I guess the reason is inFAMOUS. No need to defend your game Sony fans, it's amazing and arguably the best game on PS3.

Anyway, Prototype fuckyeah. Most badass freeroam game ever. It's pure fucking fun. I like it just as much as inFAMOUS, if not even more.

TheCardPlayer said:
So yeah, another GAF hate train for no reason...wait, I guess the reason is inFAMOUS. No need to defend your game Sony fans, it's amazing and arguably the best game on PS3.

Anyway, Prototype fuckyeah. Most badass freeroam game ever. It's pure fucking fun. I like it just as much as inFAMOUS, if not even more.
Because it's impossible to dislike the game based on its own shortcomings and without relating it to Infamous! TRUTH TELLER!

TheCardPlayer

Judging from your post in the GOTY topic mentioned how all your games were PS3 games!??

No, definetely not! :lol :lol :lol It's just because inFAMOUS is an exclusive.

DevelopmentArrested said:
1. inFAMOUS
2. Resident Evil 5
3. MLB 09 The Show
4. Killzone 2
5. Flower

All PS3 (well played RE5 on 360)..

Yup. Sorry. You lose. Go play inFAMOUS. It's amazing. And I don't even need to hate Prototype to convince myself of that! Awesome.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheCardPlayer said:

:lol :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
Judging from your post in the GOTY topic mentioned how all your games were PS3 games!??

No, definetely not! :lol :lol :lol It's just because inFAMOUS is an exclusive.

Yup. Sorry. You lose. Go play inFAMOUS. It's amazing. And I don't even need to hate Prototype to convince myself of that! Awesome.

I'm a PS3 fanboy now? :lol You should do a thorough checkup on someone's post history before throwing around baseless accusations. People can dislike Prototype without ever playing Infamous or owning a PS3. Sorry if that hurts your feelings? Too bad most people stopped taking your posts seriously when you viciously trolled RE5 until the day you played it...

beat

Is it just me, or is the 'low health critical mass' upgrade nearly useless? If you're in a desperate situation where you're near death and you need a Devastator, you probably won't be able to actually fire it off since it's an interruptible attack and you're probably being swarmed...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
beat said:
Is it just me, or is the 'low health critical mass' upgrade nearly useless? If you're in a desperate situation where you're near death and you need a Devastator, you probably won't be able to actually fire it off since it's an interruptible attack and you're probably being swarmed...

You're invulnerable when the adrenaline mode kicks in, you got about 3 seconds to pull it off (when the screen goes black and white).

TheCardPlayer

neojubei said:
:lol :lol
With all the shit you posted in GameFAQs's Nonstop Gaming board, you shouldn't have the right to laugh at anybody. Want me to dig up your posts on the 360 and Wii there, before you even played them?

Fuu said:
Why bring this shit here?

Right. Sorry, I am the one who brought this shit up. As far, as I'm concerned, this is over.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Awesome slowdowns in the PC version when things get too much.

The lack of PC options to help tweak the video settings is beyond pathetic.

Zzoram

Domino Theory said:
Going to be playing a lot of this while LIVE is down tomorrow. :D

LIVE is down tomorrow for maintenance? Oh crap, I just rented Left 4 Dead 360 to compare it to PC :lol

It's fun, and very close to the PC version in every way. Aiming is a bit harder with the stick than a mouse, and using the DPAD and Y to switch items/weapons is more cumbersome than the mousewheel, but I still had a blast.

I guess I'll get the campaign completion achievements tomorrow in single player on Easy.

beat

Sinatar said:
You're invulnerable when the adrenaline mode kicks in, you got about 3 seconds to pull it off (when the screen goes black and white).
Ah. I always seem to wait until the b&w effect is over first.

hulot

Just beat the game, end boss did take a retry but not too bad. So, if the game had its narrative told through the same style as the credit sequence, would we still be getting 'unpolished' complaints?

AFreak

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
You need to purchase Critical Mass before you can use them.

Each Devastator ability has a description in the Upgrade menu, detailing the buttons you need to press and hold.

I've got critical mass...Where do i buy the devastators?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
not sure if old , sorry in advance .
Prototype: PS3 graphical feature missing from 360 and PC

Prototype is rendered at 1120 by 640 pixels, with QAA (quinux anti-aliasing) on the PS3 and 2xMSAA (multisample anti-aliasing) on the Xbox 360

You will find that the PS3 game's framerate can suffer from significant screen tearing when there's lots of action going on (which is a common occurrence in Prototype). The Xbox 360 game is locked at 30 frames-per-second, and generally runs steadily with minimal screen tearing

Despite these performance difference, the PS3 does have a one-up on both the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game. Surprisingly all debris on the ground is individually shadow-mapped in the PS3 game

PS3
fd8qy8.jpg

2cz3rpz.jpg

Zabka

That's it, I'm returning my 360 copy and demanding drop shadows on ground debris OR ELSE!

Also, fully upgraded Muscle Mass + Cannonball = Good Times.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AgentOtaku said:
whoa!

I think I need to run out and buy this ....if only for the Newgame+ feature

:lol an "exclusive" graphical features appears on PS3 and out pops AO to suddenly need to buy it.

Anyways just beat this, once you hit "Sequence 8" the game goes from badass power fantasy fulfillment to pure wall punching frustration. You don't start dying or anything, they just start giving you missions with ridiculous objectives, time limits and of course constant air juggling from missiles.

I dunno, it's like 85% awesome game followed by 15% of putrid rotten garbage. At least I got all the WOI guys on my first go.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
bathala said:
How do you assign powers on your Quick Activation?

Log: Tutorial is pretty useless
The last one you used in each category will be the one you can access with the d-pad (<-:disguise, ->:vision, up: attack, down: defense).

Sinatar said:
:lol an "exclusive" graphical features appears on PS3 and out pops AO to suddenly need to buy it.

Anyways just beat this, once you hit "Sequence 8" the game goes from badass power fantasy fulfillment to pure wall punching frustration. You don't start dying or anything, they just start giving you missions with ridiculous objectives, time limits and of course constant air juggling from missiles.

I dunno, it's like 85% awesome game followed by 15% of putrid rotten garbage. At least I got all the WOI guys on my first go.

:lol

I've actually been watching HD Youtube vids of it all week on and off ...I really dig the idea of NG+ ...but now your telling the last bits are no good =/

Does the WoI eventually start to become something genuiningly interesting?
Even if it could be considered fluff, I still need a somewhat decent story in my gaming...

Top Bottom