• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll channel AltogetherAndrews from the first page because I'm also curious about this. Question for the people playing it:

When you absorb someone, does it has a time limit? Also, can you use all of your powers regardless of your current appearance?

Fuu

No, I mean, if you absorb the form of a granny, can you play with her appearance during however long you want? Or does her looks automatically fade away after some time?

glaurung

I think he meant how long Alex can keep the disguise on.

As I understand it, he can do it infinitely as long as he is not fired at or manually disengages the shape.

Oh, there are also special detectors in some areas that can see through his appearance and raise alarm.

glaurung said:

As I understand it, he can do it infinitely as long as he is not fired at or manually disengages the shape.

Oh, there are also special detectors in some areas that can see through his appearance and raise alarm.

Even if they fire at you, your disguise/appearance does not change.

TheFallen

glaurung said:
It seems like the guys really hate Red Faction, because I heard at least three references to Mars and how noone cares what happens there.

Weird, I don't see why they'd have to talk smack about something so dissimilar.
I wouldn't say they're trashing Red Faction. I think they're just trying to say they chose NYC so people can relate to this 'event' occurring and Mars is a good example of the opposite.

poserdonut said:
You will not find much of a hero in this game, it's more of a guy looking for revenge kind of deal.

Revenge for what, though? And why is he taking revenge on civilians? Is there justification in the story for this?

glaurung said:

To expand on this, do forms stay in your "arsenal," so that you can switch back to a preferred human form instead of the default Alex Mercer look?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
neojubei said:
That would be nice if it was just that but I believe there are some "stealth" missions and "chase" missions.

No, there are OPTIONS to be stealth. You can go in as hard or as quiet as you want. Of course, by the way some other threads are going around here, trying to explain what the hell an option is is a biblical undertaking.

Zeliard

TheFallen said:
Well, umm this isn't as black and white as that. You'll have the option of helping the Infected or the Military I believe (according to the Q&A)

You seem to basically be someone who's mostly just out for himself and doesn't care if any innocents get in his way, so you're pretty much just a bad guy, albeit not the "take over the world" sort. Granted, I don't really know what the story is about, but just based on what you actually go around doing, it seems very doubtful that the protagonist is even an anti-hero (much less a hero).

I actually find that refreshing in a way. There aren't many games that let you play as someone with virtually no redeeming qualities.

BeeDog

Thought this might interest some; the head honcho at Gamereactor Sweden just posted some very vague impressions of Prototype:

http://www.gamereactor.se/blog/petter/

"Det finns uppenbarligen ett enormt sug efter Prototype. Många av er som skrivit in till brevlådan har väntat med att köpa Infamous för att se om Prototype kan bli ännu bättre. Activision förbjuder oss att prata betyg förrän på torsdag, men jag tänkte passa på och skvallra lite om mina intryck redan idag. Jag förstår absolut varför Activision inte vill ha ut några betyg på Prototype förrän timmarna innan release. Om jag säger så. Prototype doftar fränt av slafsigt träsk, nämligen."

Loosely translated (sorry for any potential errors):

"Apparently there's a great anticipation for Prototype. A lot of people that have written to our mailbox have waited with buying inFamous to see if Prototype is the better game. Activision forbids us to talk about grades before Thursday, but I figured I'd hint about my impressions today. I completely understand why Activision didn't want any grades of Prototype to be published before the release date. Prototype reeks of a mushy swamp."

Ouch. :/ But then again, I often don't agree with him.

glaurung

AltogetherAndrews said:
Revenge for what, though? And why is he taking revenge on civilians? Is there justification in the story for this?

To expand on this, do forms stay in your "arsenal," so that you can switch back to a preferred human form instead of the default Alex Mercer look?

First point about the revenge: the revenge is taken upon the army, the civilians simply get in the way. Sadly, the game doesn't seem to punish the player for killing thousands upon thousands of random newyorkers in any way.

About maintaining the forms: as much as I have seen from gameplay videos, Alex can only revert back to the last absorbed form. I could be wrong, somebody who has actually played this game should speak up.

Fuu

The PR does say "You are the PROTOTYPE, Alex Mercer, hiding in human form". Don't know how accurate this is but I'd guess he probably doesn't even feel like a human anymore, therefore not too keen on showing compassion either. I just hope he doesn't get all sentimental or something at some point, that would be out of place considering how he goes about doing his business.

Xater

BeeDog said:
Thought this might interest some; the head honcho at Gamereactor Sweden just posted some very vague impressions of Prototype:

http://www.gamereactor.se/blog/petter/

Loosely translated (sorry for any potential errors):

Ouch. :/ But then again, I often don't agree with him.

Oh boy. I guess it was a good decision to cancel my pre-order yesterday and hold out for reviews.

nooooooo :(

This game is supposed to be all sorts of awesome and kickass

I'm having trouble accepting this, I want a demo so I can decide for myself, dammit

Rahk said:
Quite a positive PS3 Informer review up:

http://www.ps3informer.com/playstation-3/games/prototype-review-010433.php

Pros: Great Concept with super powers mixed with horror element in a life like New York City and a lot of replay value.

Cons: Controls need a bit of work and no multiplayer elements.

PS3Informer Rating: 4 out of 5.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

A NeoGAF off-shoot, or something? :lol

edit: Now it works. Why is there a Gametrailers clip embedded in the review?

TheFallen

Gryphter said:

I'm having trouble accepting this, I want a demo so I can decide for myself, dammit
Huh? Selective reading? Most of the game impressions and reviews have been good.

Gryphter said:

Yeah, we should all freak out and not want this game now because some crackpot Swede (no offense BeeDog, if you are Swedish) likened this game to a mushy swamp.

Dave1988 said:
Or, you know, he just has a different opinion than you. Yeah, I know, it's impossible.

I can understand a different opinion, this game isn't a perfect 10, however it does not reek of mushy swamp and I really feel it's stupid to say so.

A mushy swamp game for me would be the fantastic four game, Prototype is far from that.

Dude: He's wrong and stupid
Other dude: He isn't wrong or stupid, he just has a different opinion, man
Dude: I can understand a different opinion, but he is still wrong and stupid because his opinion is too different

Now let's see how many times that conversation repeats itself over the course of this thread. And we don't even have any real reviews yet! :lol

The Swedes apparently know more than just great meatballs...who knew? :D

Swedishchef-myspace-760269.jpg

Good call, Olaf...or Sven...or whatever the hell your name is.

Fuu

Dunlop said:
For some reason the firewall at work does not block this site...yet GAF already busted it

thanks alot :lol
Which site? Gamereactor, PS3 Informer? I'm a little lost here.

Truant

Well, I've been playing for the last hour, and I can't say I'm impressed. Granted, I'm in the middle of my inFamous playthrough, and these two games couldn't really be more different as two open-world games can be. You create more havoc, kill more enemies, and see more violence in general during the first 10 minutes of this game than you would during your entire inFamous playthrough. A good thing? Not really, but like I said, it's a totally different experience.

The key here is chaos, and the game really throws everything at you from the get-go. The smaller, more tactical (relatively speaking, of course) skirmishes of inFamous are completely absent here. It's about total, absolute destruction - all the time. It's more akin to Crackdown, if anything. You're constantly throwing ventilation shafts at helicopters, helicopters at tanks, tanks at civilians - all while feeling pretty powerful, even from you're relatively weak starting point. Controls are decent enough, yet lacks the precision and finesse of inFamous. Does it need it? No, although it felt cumbersome initially. You travel at insane speeds, leap up and down buildings at such an extreme rate, that subtlety would disappear in an instance, even if introduced through the games' old-fashioned 'paused toturial screens'.

You have a pretty large selection of moves and powers, some of which are available to purchase through an easy-to-use menu pretty much right after the game opens up. I'm kinda disappointed that the moves don't present themself through story peaks, like 'the other game', and the whole thing seems kinda trivial in that you enter a menu, purchase a brand new ability via the list, and then continue the game as if nothing really happened.

The stealth mechanic doesn't feel as tacked on as I initially thought, even if you can get away with a large number of strangely suspicious, and often ridiculous, stunts while dressed up as a soldier to access some off-limits area. I haven't gotten the chance to use it as much as I'd hoped, and hopefully the game will allow me to pick my own approach later on.

As far as graphics and presentation go, they're decent enough. I really do hate CG-movies in games, especially when it intercuts between that and the in-game engine. It really does emphasize the weaknesses of the visuals, and takes me out of the experience. I have to give credit where it's due, though, and it has to be at the sheer scale of it all. Countless cars, enemies, civilians running around with all kinds of shit going on, and the game still runs pretty smooth. Some of the vistas from high above can be pretty impessive, but the city is generally pretty bland looking when there's not a shitton going on at once. Thankfully, it usually does.

I'll get back once I've played it some more, just some early impressions.

icechai

thanks for the impressions Truant. Now I really want a demo >_< Also playing through that other game right now and from screenshots of this game in comparison, the buildings just look so bland. But maybe the action is what makes up for it. Oh well, will wait for some more impressions and reviews :p

btw, how does he soar? From the videos he doesn't get wings or flaps or anything it looks like. Just kind of gets lighter?

Truant

The flight ability is available right from the start, almost. It's basically his alien-goo-stuff that you see when he transforms that makes him fly.

You purchase upgrades with your XP, like inFamous. There's really no feel of accomplishment or progression, as far as I can tell.

Truant said:
Well, I've been playing for the last hour, and I can't say I'm impressed. Granted, I'm in the middle of my inFamous playthrough, and these two games couldn't really be more different as two open-world games can be. You create more havoc, kill more enemies, and see more violence in general during the first 10 minutes of this game than you would during your entire inFamous playthrough. A good thing? Not really, but like I said, it's a totally different experience.

The key here is chaos, and the game really throws everything at you from the get-go. The smaller, more tactical (relatively speaking, of course) skirmishes of inFamous are completely absent here. It's about total, absolute destruction - all the time. It's more akin to Crackdown, if anything. You're constantly throwing ventilation shafts at helicopters, helicopters at tanks, tanks at civilians - all while feeling pretty powerful, even from you're relatively weak starting point. Controls are decent enough, yet lacks the precision and finesse of inFamous. Does it need it? No, although it felt cumbersome initially. You travel at insane speeds, leap up and down buildings at such an extreme rate, that subtlety would disappear in an instance, even if introduced through the games' old-fashioned 'paused toturial screens'.

You have a pretty large selection of moves and powers, some of which are available to purchase through an easy-to-use menu pretty much right after the game opens up. I'm kinda disappointed that the moves don't present themself through story peaks, like 'the other game', and the whole thing seems kinda trivial in that you enter a menu, purchase a brand new ability via the list, and then continue the game as if nothing really happened.

The stealth mechanic doesn't feel as tacked on as I initially thought, even if you can get away with a large number of strangely suspicious, and often ridiculous, stunts while dressed up as a soldier to access some off-limits area. I haven't gotten the chance to use it as much as I'd hoped, and hopefully the game will allow me to pick my own approach later on.

As far as graphics and presentation go, they're decent enough. I really do hate CG-movies in games, especially when it intercuts between that and the in-game engine. It really does emphasize the weaknesses of the visuals, and takes me out of the experience. I have to give credit where it's due, though, and it has to be at the sheer scale of it all. Countless cars, enemies, civilians running around with all kinds of shit going on, and the game still runs pretty smooth. Some of the vistas from high above can be pretty impessive, but the city is generally pretty bland looking when there's not a shitton going on at once. Thankfully, it usually does.

I've been playing it also.....and others should read this if they want to get an understanding of the game. It is a great "review" of it. Pretty much sums up almost all of my feelings in a nutshell.....

Dunlop

Truant said:
and the whole thing seems kinda trivial in that you enter a menu, purchase a brand new ability via the list, and then continue the game as if nothing really happened.

: (

That blows

Ramenman

Truant said:

OH WOW MUSHY SWAMP PREORDER CANCELEDED

Truant said:

It sounds like a "movie game" without the movie.

...and by movie game, I mean that it's mediocre. It does a couple things well and others not so well. Average game which means this is going to be a war between the lovers and the haters.

Truant

One thing I forgot to mention is the Web of Intrigue. We haven't really seen a lot of this in the media they've released, and it looks pretty interesting so far. Only unlocked a few strands.

Truant said:
One thing I forgot to mention is the Web of Intrigue. We haven't really seen a lot of this in the media they've released, and it looks pretty interesting so far. Only unlocked a few strands.

It seems weird to me, I don't know if it relates to particular people in the game or if it just fills in whomever you consume with those web points....

Dunlop

Tokubetsu said:
The disdain for this game on GAF is amazing. Did some of you not like Ultimate Destruction?

More like lack of info has made us all bitter :D

For PS3 owners it's timing is also bad as it will be comapred to the other game

Tokubetsu said:
The disdain for this game on GAF is amazing. Did some of you not like Ultimate Destruction?

I loved it, but I'm not sure how excited I am now about playing another one that seems to be different to its predecessor mostly by way of shifting focus from property destruction to gore. I'll definitely play it and probably have plenty fun with it, but right now it's a matter of determining when to play it, and how much I care to spend on it.

JdFoX187

Banned
I've been reading the impressions and watching videos and I still can't see what's so bad about it. The videos look insanely fun. Unless I'm just completely missing something or the controls are horrid, this looks like a must-purchase for me. I'm playing through inFAMOUS right now and it's fun as well, but I'm looking to just raise some serious hell in a world.

Truant said:

Does it seem to lead anywhere?
It's cool that you get to find out some random info, but i don't think it contains anything mind blowing.

Anyway, I never understood the hype for this game. On the other hand, it is not bad.

JdFoX187 said:
I've been reading the impressions and watching videos and I still can't see what's so bad about it. The videos look insanely fun. Unless I'm just completely missing something or the controls are horrid, this looks like a must-purchase for me.

It all depends on what you're looking for, doesn't it? If you're satisfied with wanton mayhem by way of playing a poorly dressed, angry dude tearing everything up, then this sounds pretty awesome. I was for some reason expecting a somewhat different direction, and for it to lean a little less blatantly on things from Hulk UD.

Tokubetsu said:

Quite the opposite, in fact. Some of us absolutely adored the Green Goliath's masterpiece. That's why it hurts all the more to see Radical drop the ball so dramatically in their sandbox super powered follow-up.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Gamepro has posted their review, giving Prototype a 4.5 out of 5.

PROS: Incredible sense of power and possibility; beautiful and moody; tons of stuff to do; satisfying story.

CONS: Not much difference between different enemy types; some irritatingly drawn-out missions; some sudden jumps in difficulty.

Top Bottom