• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Prototype Thread

AwRy108

Truant said:
Well, I've been playing for the last hour, and I can't say I'm impressed. Granted, I'm in the middle of my inFamous playthrough, and these two games couldn't really be more different as two open-world games can be. You create more havoc, kill more enemies, and see more violence in general during the first 10 minutes of this game than you would during your entire inFamous playthrough. A good thing? Not really, but like I said, it's a totally different experience.

The key here is chaos, and the game really throws everything at you from the get-go. The smaller, more tactical (relatively speaking, of course) skirmishes of inFamous are completely absent here. It's about total, absolute destruction - all the time. It's more akin to Crackdown, if anything. You're constantly throwing ventilation shafts at helicopters, helicopters at tanks, tanks at civilians - all while feeling pretty powerful, even from you're relatively weak starting point. Controls are decent enough, yet lacks the precision and finesse of inFamous. Does it need it? No, although it felt cumbersome initially. You travel at insane speeds, leap up and down buildings at such an extreme rate, that subtlety would disappear in an instance, even if introduced through the games' old-fashioned 'paused toturial screens'.

You have a pretty large selection of moves and powers, some of which are available to purchase through an easy-to-use menu pretty much right after the game opens up. I'm kinda disappointed that the moves don't present themself through story peaks, like 'the other game', and the whole thing seems kinda trivial in that you enter a menu, purchase a brand new ability via the list, and then continue the game as if nothing really happened.

The stealth mechanic doesn't feel as tacked on as I initially thought, even if you can get away with a large number of strangely suspicious, and often ridiculous, stunts while dressed up as a soldier to access some off-limits area. I haven't gotten the chance to use it as much as I'd hoped, and hopefully the game will allow me to pick my own approach later on.

As far as graphics and presentation go, they're decent enough. I really do hate CG-movies in games, especially when it intercuts between that and the in-game engine. It really does emphasize the weaknesses of the visuals, and takes me out of the experience. I have to give credit where it's due, though, and it has to be at the sheer scale of it all. Countless cars, enemies, civilians running around with all kinds of shit going on, and the game still runs pretty smooth. Some of the vistas from high above can be pretty impessive, but the city is generally pretty bland looking when there's not a shitton going on at once. Thankfully, it usually does.

I'll get back once I've played it some more, just some early impressions.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. Still on the fence on this one, at least at the $60 price point. Besides, my PS3 broke the day after I got InFamous, so whenever Sony returns it, I'll be too consumed with Sucker Punch's title to even worry about Prototype yet.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
glaurung said:
First point about the revenge: the revenge is taken upon the army, the civilians simply get in the way. Sadly, the game doesn't seem to punish the player for killing thousands upon thousands of random newyorkers in any way.

About maintaining the forms: as much as I have seen from gameplay videos, Alex can only revert back to the last absorbed form. I could be wrong, somebody who has actually played this game should speak up.

that's a good thing. it should be your call

Pimpbaa

pixel monkey said:
We can agree to disagree, but my impressions are just that...MY impressions. If you don't like them, or don't agree with the other negative views that are beginning to trickle in...then just run along and pick up your copy of Activision's latest treat, little one.

Sharing your "impressions" is fine. Sharing your "impressions" over and over and over to the point of ruining the thread is another thing. It's getting REALLY fucking annoying.

JRW

glaurung said:
About maintaining the forms: as much as I have seen from gameplay videos, Alex can only revert back to the last absorbed form. I could be wrong, somebody who has actually played this game should speak up.

This is correct, he can only revert back to the last absorbed form. (Unless theres an upgrade later on that allows more) but I havent seen it yet.

Pimpbaa said:
Sharing your "impressions" is fine. Sharing your "impressions" over and over and over to the point of ruining the thread is another thing. It's getting REALLY fucking annoying.

Well, if people could just stop themselves from arguing with the guy posting the impressions, perhaps he wouldn't feel it necessary to repeat his impressions over and over. People wanting to quell the opposition with a last word, that's a fresh concept. And the after-after-argument that we are involved in right now is certainly no less disruptive.

JRW said:
This is correct, he can only revert back to the last absorbed form. (Unless theres an upgrade later on that allows more) but I havent seen it yet.

So, you can revert back to this character in place of the default Alex form and still retain all abilities, but it goes away once you absorb some other character? Am I understanding this correctly?

dammitmattt said:
I really hope this is good and I picked it up today, but I'm still knee-deep into Red Faction so I'll wait until the reviews come out to open it up.

One interesting note from local Gamestop guys is that it is selling at a much, much faster pace than Red Faction or inFamous sold. Activision sure knows how to market something into a hit.
No surprise here. Prototype could well be Activision's biggest hit this year that isn't a Call of Duty, Guitar Hero or Blizzard game.

It has been marketed extremely well and will likely be the top selling game for June (apart from The Sims 3).

That being said, it's Activision. Rent this mofo.

fernoca

Alex Mercer -NECA figure-

5fg8l3.jpg

Pimpbaa said:

icechai asked a couple of questions about the game from those who've had experience with it.

But, I'm so sorry my negative view of the game is annoying you or anyone else who can't stand to hear a dissenting voice. All those who didn't come to sing Activision's, Radical's and Prototype's praises should just shut up, lest we risk annoying the almighty Pimpbaa.

A public forum is one where all opinions are welcomed, pal. Not just the ones you agree with. What a fucking joke.

Pimpbaa

pixel monkey said:
icechai asked a couple of questions about the game from those who've had experience with it.

But, I'm so sorry my negative view of the game is annoying you or anyone else who can't stand to hear a dissenting voice. All those who didn't come to sing Activision's, Radical's and Prototype's praises should just shut up, lest we risk annoying the almighty Pimpbaa.

A public forum is one where all opinions are welcomed, pal. Not just the ones you agree with. What a fucking joke.

Jesus, just get out of the fucking thread.

Mesijs

People NOT thinking there's some review score-tied embargo on this one are so fucking naive it isn't even funny...

pixel monkey said:

You come across as having an agenda not an opinion.

Pimpbaa

forgeforsaken said:

Exactly. Even if the game is mediocre, it is still annoying to see someone continuing talk about the game (or any game) like it ran over their dog (repeatedly).

forgeforsaken said:

My agenda is that I don't have $60 to throw away in this economy. My impressions, LAST WEEK mind you, were only posted (and subsequently defended) to give anyone else who had pre-ordered the game a moment's pause to re-consider if this was a sound purchase.

If you'll read what I've written, I've wholeheartedly recommended a rental...just not the blind purchase I was prepared to make.

If that's an agenda, then I'm guilty of having one.

For those who concerned with the $60 price point (or for anyone who is going to buy the game, really) Toys R Us is giving out a $20 Gift Card for buying Prototype this week.

mjc

Truant said:
Well, I've been playing for the last hour, and I can't say I'm impressed. Granted, I'm in the middle of my inFamous playthrough, and these two games couldn't really be more different as two open-world games can be. You create more havoc, kill more enemies, and see more violence in general during the first 10 minutes of this game than you would during your entire inFamous playthrough. A good thing? Not really, but like I said, it's a totally different experience.

The key here is chaos, and the game really throws everything at you from the get-go. The smaller, more tactical (relatively speaking, of course) skirmishes of inFamous are completely absent here. It's about total, absolute destruction - all the time. It's more akin to Crackdown, if anything. You're constantly throwing ventilation shafts at helicopters, helicopters at tanks, tanks at civilians - all while feeling pretty powerful, even from you're relatively weak starting point. Controls are decent enough, yet lacks the precision and finesse of inFamous. Does it need it? No, although it felt cumbersome initially. You travel at insane speeds, leap up and down buildings at such an extreme rate, that subtlety would disappear in an instance, even if introduced through the games' old-fashioned 'paused toturial screens'.

You have a pretty large selection of moves and powers, some of which are available to purchase through an easy-to-use menu pretty much right after the game opens up. I'm kinda disappointed that the moves don't present themself through story peaks, like 'the other game', and the whole thing seems kinda trivial in that you enter a menu, purchase a brand new ability via the list, and then continue the game as if nothing really happened.

The stealth mechanic doesn't feel as tacked on as I initially thought, even if you can get away with a large number of strangely suspicious, and often ridiculous, stunts while dressed up as a soldier to access some off-limits area. I haven't gotten the chance to use it as much as I'd hoped, and hopefully the game will allow me to pick my own approach later on.

As far as graphics and presentation go, they're decent enough. I really do hate CG-movies in games, especially when it intercuts between that and the in-game engine. It really does emphasize the weaknesses of the visuals, and takes me out of the experience. I have to give credit where it's due, though, and it has to be at the sheer scale of it all. Countless cars, enemies, civilians running around with all kinds of shit going on, and the game still runs pretty smooth. Some of the vistas from high above can be pretty impessive, but the city is generally pretty bland looking when there's not a shitton going on at once. Thankfully, it usually does.

I'll get back once I've played it some more, just some early impressions.

Good impressions, thanks. What you're mentioning does seem in line with what others have said when I talked about it with them, so I might just buy this one.

DrBo42

Gryphter said:
For those who concerned with the $60 price point (or for anyone who is going to buy the game, really) Toys R Us is giving out a $20 Gift Card for buying Prototype this week.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know what else I would pick up with that card, I can't think of anything close on the horizon.

mysticstylez said:
Having an agenda, is one thing. But when you pound that agenda in my ass like Peter North would to an 18yr old blonde for an hour, you start to become a pain in the ass.
:lol

pixel monkey said:
If that's an agenda, then I'm guilty of having one.

Having an agenda, is one thing. But when you pound that agenda in my ass like Peter North would to an 18yr old blonde for an hour, you start to become a pain in the ass.

mysticstylez said:

And you guys filling up page after page with bitching about his impressions and "agenda" is totally not disruptive.

Xater

DrBo42 said:
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know what else I would pick up with that card, I can't think of anything close on the horizon.

Ghostbusters and Wolfenstein are coming up.

@icechai: I still think it's 2 collars.

DrBo42

Xater said:
Ghostbusters and Wolfenstein are coming up.
That's perfect! I completely forgot that was coming out.

icechai said:
3 collars, a button up, a hoodie, leather, and jeans... Tim Gunn would not be pleased.
Who in their right mind would wear all that at the same time? It does get cold in NYC, but that's not the solution. Clearly this game is now not worthy of a purchase, why wasn't this mentioned in impressions?

Xater

DrBo42 said:
Who in their right mind would wear all that at the same time? It does get cold in NYC, but that's not the solution. Clearly this game is now not worthy of a purchase, why wasn't this mentioned in impressions?

Clearly yu don#t spend enoug time in the OT. Women love layers! :lol

DrBo42

Xater said:
Clearly yu don#t spend enoug time in the OT. Women love layers! :lol
Women do love layers, but this is a dude. Not even the biggest hipster douchebag here in LA would wear a getup like that.

DrBo42 said:
That's perfect! I completely forgot that was coming out.

heh. you also get a $20 gift card from Toys R Us from buying Ghostbusters from them next week, lol. now what will you do??!

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Gryphter said:
heh. you also get a $20 gift card from Toys R Us from buying Ghostbusters from them next week, lol. now what will you do??!
That's a pretty good deal. You could get both for a grand total of like 80 bucks.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Can't wait to hear some real impressions.

What I'd love to say to you about your continuous trolling of my comments throughout two threads is not only bannable by GAF, it's just too rude for me to stoop to that level.

Just use your imagination, Development...no, much worse than that.

GQman2121

Banned
DrBo42 said:

Don't forget that Target has buy 2 get 1 free on all Sony games this week too. ;)

DrBo42

I have to apologize for my previous statements about Alex's outfit. I just found concept art for his design in Prototype 2: Suburban Biohazard.
37jsqloFrmsx80ckaejjVAMko1_500.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Will Best Buy have this today? Im planning on pricematching that Toys'r'Us deal there

pixel monkey said:
What I'd love to say to you about your continuous trolling of my comments throughout two threads is not only bannable by GAF, it's just too rude for me to stoop to that level.

Just use your imagination, Development...no, much worse than that.

I haven't been following the thread that closely - how much Prototype have you played?

JRW

AltogetherAndrews said:
So, you can revert back to this character in place of the default Alex form and still retain all abilities, but it goes away once you absorb some other character? Am I understanding this correctly?

Once you learn an ability from a consumed character you keep it the rest of the game. for example I learned how to drive Tanks by consuming an APC Driver and can now enter and drive them regardless if I'm in real Alex form or someone else.

JRW said:
Once you learn an ability from a consumed character you keep it the rest of the game. for example I learned how to drive Tanks by consuming an APC Driver and can now enter and drive them regardless if I'm in real Alex form or someone else.

Right, but I was thinking more about the actual physical appearance. Can I play the game as, say, a soldier and still use all of the abilities of Alex? I guess what I'm looking for is using other shapes as default skins, is that possible?

Top Bottom