• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ah, yeah, i'm using type a. when i touch the right stick it's a very abstract jerking around of the camera that has no relation to anything happening with the character--he doesn't smoothly turn his head to indicate he's looking or anything like that so far as i remember--and it just comes across as really disorienting. i prefer the re4 style controls, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
beelzebozo said:
ah, yeah, i'm using type a. when i touch the right stick it's a very abstract jerking around of the camera that has no relation to anything happening with the character--he doesn't smoothly turn his head to indicate he's looking or anything like that so far as i remember--and it just comes across as really disorienting. i prefer the re4 style controls, though.
That's the thing, Type C controls are RE4 style controls with the addition of a free camera instead of the flick camera. I think it's the best control scheme as a result.

ChoklitReign said:
THE SPOILERS ARE TEMPTING ME

SUPER-SPOILERS DOWN HERE

Now I know that
Jill is not just alive but the fucking final boss. LOL WUT
Friday is so fucking close :(

I couldn't buy it last Friday because I just got some money and I've lost the detachable cord to my Xbox's power brick. Can you believe the fucker's retail price is $70? The whole console must've cost $600 to produce. Fuck me :(
Good news for you, that spoiler is completely wrong.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
explain the concept of "free camera" to me. i'm not home to check it out. do you just mean that it sticks to whatever location you move it to instead of flicking back to its regular position? because i'd imagine i'd mess that up even worse.

GuardianE said:
Knock down the fire canisters in the room. Uroboros will pick it up as it follows you. Go into the furnace and while it's there shoot the canister. It will explode, stunning the boss for time. Run outside, activate the switch, and watch him burn.

I had a problem with him getting up after being stunned and slipping out of the door, if he gets up you can stand at the door and shoot him to force him back in long enough for the door to close.

Davey Cakes

To be honest, I use Type A and rarely find a need to use the right stick. If I need to look around, I typically do it while aiming. Later on when I replay the game, the right stick may be useful for scouting the BSAA medals, but until then, I have mostly no use for it.

scitek

dark10x said:
I'm curious as to why you feel that way as that was the version I was playing last night. I ended up switching back to the GC pad again as a lot of moves just don't feel natural and the complete lack of camera control with the Wii-mote was also annoying. I believe the addition of a free camera in RE5 is huge while moving through the world.

You can move the camera around the same as in the GC version with the D-pad. I find the controls to be very intuitive, and being able to snipe with a pistol is sweet. The other thing I like is being able to play with my hands separated and set however I want, it's very comfortable. I can still play with the Xbox 360 pad, but I just prefer the Wii's setup more.

ezekial45

Banned
Sectus said:
251k duo run on public assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnduYN4bzQY&fmt=22
We do a few small tricks to make things go a bit more smoothly. The hydra has a slow reload speed so we just reload via the inventory instead (which I almost mess up a few times). And we discard the pistol right away so that ammo for the shotgun and magnum drop more often.

414k duo run on same map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MIWOhHWg4&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuz69DjviE&fmt=22
I'm pretty sure this is the tactic you need to use to reach the top 100 for public assembly (wesker midnight or jill bsaa should work too). If you do it right, you'll actually *gain* time. And if you manage to do all this in one long combo the score should be insane.

In the first video, how did you do that running kick?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
elohel said:
did the US version of the collector's edition come with that enormous book?

sry just curious

The enormous book you're referring to is probably the Collector's Guide, sold separately.

USD

ezekial45 said:
In the first video, how did you do that running kick?
Click in the right stick/R3, then while charging push the shoot button (X/Square or RT/R1 depending on your control scheme).

There are so many nagging issues with this game that piss me off. I'm about finished with veteran mode and making good time but I swear the little things they left in hurt this game. It's like the series took one step forward (graphics) and two steps back (controls seem to be worse, wonky hit detection from enemies, how they can track you and always hit you, how you have to be in precise areas to jump off of buildings, through windows, etc- it's reminds me of the original RE games where you had to push a button to walk up and down stairs!). Seriously, in a Zelda/Mario game, you walk into doors and they open. You approach a ledge, you auto jump, you approach a ladder and you just start climbing the damn thing.

Even worse is the ridiculous menu system. Why I can't organize my shit in-game is beyond me. Why I have to wait until I die or beat a level to rearrange things just seems silly. For all its technical prowess the game is in a largely devolved state.

I love the lab section. Last night I took the time to kill ALL the Lickers that escaped the glass holding cells. Guess what you get for that? Jack shit. And you know what happens when you THEN call the elevator? They respawn and approach again. Shit like this is prevalent throughout the game. It's like they ignored all the little things, which actually amount to serious issues.

And don't get me started on the horribly implemented quick-time actions. It was cute in Shenmue, acceptable in RE4 but now it is just derivative like much of the features in this game. Thank god the broad RE appeal is still there or this would be an exercise in how to rip off elements of many other successful games (GoW for example).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Finally picked this up and played the fisrt half co-op. Its fun in co-op, but otherwise I'm very dissappointed. It's severed the last gameplay threads still holding to resident evil and that made me really sad. It is just a pure action game now.

4 still had enough for me to consider it a resident evil game, but now I feel resident evil as a series is dead and in its place is something new entirely. I'm sure many people will prefer this new incarnation but I do not.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
decided to tackle the final boss in solo mode and it's like being in a bad dream. this game suddenly becomes a complete chore without a partner. Sheva is as dumb as a brick. I had to do everything in the final battle myself, making it harder than it probably should've been.

I'm going to avoid playing this game by myself as much as i can

Rindain

Banned
Just started level 6-1, and I'm very impressed.

Every level has been amazing except for level 4, which seemed very out of place and visually cliched / bland. I don't think
ruins and Zelda mirror puzzles
really fit the mood of a RE game.

However, the graphics are INCREDIBLE. The lighting and shadowing is best I've seen so far this gen...I was especially impressed by the grating casting small square-shaped shadows on your character when you fight the
black tar wormy boss for the 2nd time
. And the graphics are so nice and crisp. The shader use is near perfect as well...most games either go overboard with them or leave 'em out...RE:5 uses them to makes stuff look REAL and awesome.

Darunia said:
decided to tackle the final boss in solo mode and it's like being in a bad dream. this game suddenly becomes a complete chore without a partner. Sheva is as dumb as a brick. I had to do everything in the final battle myself, making it harder than it probably should've been.

I'm going to avoid playing this game by myself as much as i can
That was the sentiment from the outset, which is a damn shame. The game would be just fine in solo mode if it was just Chris. It's actually worse than RE Zero in single play in my opinion.

jax (old)

Banned
Well, played some RE5 merceneries co-op online and when it wasn't laggy, it was quite fun. Played with an american - laggy but he was really good and we almost hit 100,000 but missed out by 2000 or something stupid. I think merceneries will ensure this game's longevity and I'm really sort of looking forward to the DLC (although... having to pay for it is shit!)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
evilromero said:
Even worse is the ridiculous menu system. Why I can't organize my shit in-game is beyond me. Why I have to wait until I die or beat a level to rearrange things just seems silly. For all its technical prowess the game is in a largely devolved state.

You can. Just use the X Button to move items around and rearrange the inventory. The main inventory between levels auto arranges.

Vyse The Legend said:
Wait, there's a limit to the number of enemies you can kill in Mercenaries mode? WTF?! That's beyond dumb.

As I recall, it's something like 150 enemies. Then the time left gets tallied into your score.

GuardianE said:
You can. Just use the X Button to move items around and rearrange the inventory. The main inventory between levels auto arranges.
Good lord that is good to know. Thanks! But I still by my criticism of the shop menu. When you sell an jewel, it starts you on "cancel" then you have to again confirm after you've sold the item. It's those little annoyances that still piss me off. Cut the fat Capcom.

jax (old)

Banned
evilromero said:
Good lord that is good to know. Thanks! But I still by my criticism of the shop menu. When you sell an jewel, it starts you on "cancel" then you have to again confirm after you've sold the item. It's those little annoyances that still piss me off. Cut the fat Capcom.

and lets just say this.

without the ability to combine jewellery. It should just have a SELL ALL JEWELLERY icon. Its a pointless option to allow the gamer to sell or not. The jewellery system in RE5 is pretty shit.

mattso

I think I'm going to try to do my <5 hour run on veteran. Infinite ammo should make it easy enough.

If it gets too hard then I'll bump it down, worst that happens is I make some extra money right?

Just got to 6.1 last night. Chapter 5 was a bitch. Took me almost 2x as long as the previous chapters to clear, dunno why. Story-wise chapter 5 is awesome, but
the boss fight against the worm thingy took me forever. Stupid flamethrower range is hard to judge
. Can't wait to hopefully finish it up tonight. I really would like to start a co-op run through on veteran with some gaffers next.

Also I am sure it's been mentioned but remember when you upgrade the capacity on a weapon it automatically reloads the entire magazine. You can strategically save a lot ammo this way.

Hachimaki

My biggest complaint with RE 5 is not the game itself but the people who play it. None of my friends own the game so I have to pair up with random people online. Who buys the game and plays cooperatively but doesn't have a mic? This game is based around communication between your teammate and it's mind boggling. I'm playing the PS3 version btw.

ezekial45

Banned
Hachimaki said:
My biggest complaint with RE 5 is not the game itself but the people who play it. None of my friends own the game so I have to pair up with random people online. Who buys the game and plays cooperatively but doesn't have a mic? This game is based around communication between your teammate and it's mind boggling. I'm playing the PS3 version btw.

I don't have a mic, but my experiences have been great online. If i ever need to communicate beyond the simple voice commands, i just send a message on PSN. It's never really been an issue.

eso76

Jax said:
without the ability to combine jewellery. It should just have a SELL ALL JEWELLERY icon. Its a pointless option to allow the gamer to sell or not. The jewellery system in RE5 is pretty shit.

This is absolutely true. One is lead to believe there's something more to jewelry than just selling everything for money since it's so slow and you're asked to move the cursor and confirm twice to sell one item. It's nice they bothered modeling jewels rather than simply letting you find money around, but it's kind of pointless.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm only on chapter 3-2, but i would definitely say the economy isn't nearly so good or interesting in nearly every respect as in re4. treasure is less interesting, weapons improve less tangibly. . . i even miss the merchant.

Teknoman

evilromero said:
There are so many nagging issues with this game that piss me off. I'm about finished with veteran mode and making good time but I swear the little things they left in hurt this game. It's like the series took one step forward (graphics) and two steps back (controls seem to be worse, wonky hit detection from enemies, how they can track you and always hit you, how you have to be in precise areas to jump off of buildings, through windows, etc- it's reminds me of the original RE games where you had to push a button to walk up and down stairs!). Seriously, in a Zelda/Mario game, you walk into doors and they open. You approach a ledge, you auto jump, you approach a ladder and you just start climbing the damn thing.

I love the lab section. Last night I took the time to kill ALL the Lickers that escaped the glass holding cells. Guess what you get for that? Jack shit. And you know what happens when you THEN call the elevator? They respawn and approach again. Shit like this is prevalent throughout the game. It's like they ignored all the little things, which actually amount to serious issues.

And don't get me started on the horribly implemented quick-time actions. It was cute in Shenmue, acceptable in RE4 but now it is just derivative like much of the features in this game. Thank god the broad RE appeal is still there or this would be an exercise in how to rip off elements of many other successful games (GoW for example).

You can organize stuff in game. Just press square or Y (when using RE4 controls) and move the item around.

EDIT: Beat.

USD

Some of the Mercs stages are huge. With some of the stages like the Ship Deck and Missile Area, It's hard to find an efficient way to quickly collect all the time bonuses.

Vyse The Legend said:
Wait, there's a limit to the number of enemies you can kill in Mercenaries mode? WTF?! That's beyond dumb.
You get a large bonus based on how much time you have left on the clock after killing all 150 enemies. I think it works. Otherwise it would be possible (through the use of constant melee kills, which give you a 5 second bonus with each attack) to extend the clock indefinitely.

beelzebozo said:
i'm only on chapter 3-2, but i would definitely say the economy isn't nearly so good or interesting in nearly every respect as in re4. treasure is less interesting, weapons improve less tangibly. . . i even miss the merchant.
There also seems to be less weapons. I really miss some of the pistols from RE4. That and the Attache case. Damn, I miss that thing.

USD

Rash said:
Quick question, since I don't currently have access to the game:

Does your inventory carry over between difficulties?
Yes.
crowphoenix said:
There also seems to be less weapons. I really miss some of the pistols from RE4. That and the Attache case. Damn, I miss that thing.
You might get less weapons at the beginning, but in the end there are more weapons than in RE4 (and because of the inventory system, you can keep them all at once). I do miss the exclusive upgrades from 4 though.

Volcynika

Ok, me and Teknoman made it to 6-1 last night, so we're near the end!

Anyways we won't be able to finish the game till tomorrow at least, so in the meantime...

Can someone with the PS3 version help me complete 3-1 and 4-1 on Veteran sometime tonight? My guns are fairly upgraded for the most part, I just missed getting credit for completing them.

I have a mic, and I'm in the US Central Timezone. I have like one TV show I gotta see tonight but that's about it. (hopefully be good to go around 8pm). If you can help, send a PM my way or just add me to PSN: Volcynika.

USD said:
You might get less weapons at the beginning, but in the end there are more weapons than in RE4 (and because of the inventory system, you can keep them all at once). I do miss the exclusive upgrades from 4 though.
Sweet. I love RE5, so I definitely plan to collect everything. I'll just say I'm looking for BASA emblems when I replay the levels. Yeah. :D

Rash said:
So has someone made a list of all the ways that this game is broken? :lol
I don't consider that broken at all, and actually like the game more for the global inventory.

USD

Rash said:
So has someone made a list of all the ways that this game is broken? :lol
I think it works better this way. It would be far more annoying if I had to collect all the weapons four times across all the difficulty levels. And the weapons are such that it's impossible to upgrade all the weapons in even 2 or 3 playthroughs (without using exploits at least). And if you really want to, you can always start from Chapter 1 with empty slots, leaving your weapons and such in storage, and replay the game as if it were the first time.

demigod

slayn said:
Finally picked this up and played the fisrt half co-op. Its fun in co-op, but otherwise I'm very dissappointed. It's severed the last gameplay threads still holding to resident evil and that made me really sad. It is just a pure action game now.

4 still had enough for me to consider it a resident evil game, but now I feel resident evil as a series is dead and in its place is something new entirely. I'm sure many people will prefer this new incarnation but I do not.

I agree. They seemed to took the horror out of RE5. Honestly I don't think I was ever scared at all in this game. Not sure if it's the atmosphere or if it's the AI that followed me around. At least RE4's atmosphere made the game scary. Dude in robes chanting gave me the creeps. There weren't any moments in this game that made me *jump*. IMO, I think RE4 made better use of the surround sound than RE5. Dead Space takes both of these categories tho.

Horror-wise, RE5 is the worse in the whole series. It seriously needs a reboot, make horror come before action. I was a fan of having co-op but they seriously need to take that out of single player.

KevinCow

Banned
I really wish RE5 had the auto-targeting knife from RE4 Wii. Having to take out the knife and manually aim it at a crate that's right in front of me is a bit annoying. Overall, though, in terms of controls, it makes two big strides over RE4: the ability to strafe, which removes the annoyance that simple navigation could be in RE4, and mapping quick weapon switching to the d-pad so you don't have to bother with menus as much.

Pretty awesome game. I played through nearly the entire thing with my friend in two sittings. Nearly because we got to the final boss, couldn't even hit the fucker so he kicked our ass for like an hour while we tried to figure out how in the hell we were supposed to beat him, then I decided that I was too tired to play anymore (as we'd stayed up all night playing) and he decided he had to go home. So now I have to make my way through the final level again and kill him all by my lonesome.

I have to say, though, that it seems to be a lot less memorable than RE4 for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there aren't a whole lot of areas that are particularly notable. And especially the bosses, none of them were as awesome as Del Lago or El Gigante.

TheExodu5

Banned
evilromero said:

Huh? You can organize your items just fine. Press X (or Square on PS3) to move items in your inventory.

USD

TheExodu5 said:
Huh? You can organize your items just fine. Press X (or Square on PS3) to move items in your inventory.
And if you want to take items in storage, you can always select restart, which will send you back to the last checkpoint and allow you to exchange items.

Davey Cakes

crowphoenix said:
I don't consider that broken at all, and actually like the game more for the global inventory.
USD said:
I think it works better this way. It would be far more annoying if I had to collect all the weapons four times across all the difficulty levels. And the weapons are such that it's impossible to upgrade all the weapons in even 2 or 3 playthroughs (without using exploits at least). And if you really want to, you can always start from Chapter 1 with empty slots, leaving your weapons and such in storage, and replay the game as if it were the first time.
Well, I think the point is that, while the system is broken, it isn't detrimental.

The way RE5 is designed actually lends itself better to the "all-in-one profile" way of doing things. Not only that, but there's a flexibility which potentially enhances the co-op.

Rash said:
Well, I think the point is that, while the system is broken, it isn't detrimental.

The way RE5 is designed actually lends itself better to the "all-in-one profile" way of doing things. Not only that, but there's a flexibility which potentially enhances the co-op.
By that, I assume you mean that it negatively effects the old hording method of the RE games, right?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
scitek said:
You can move the camera around the same as in the GC version with the D-pad. I find the controls to be very intuitive, and being able to snipe with a pistol is sweet. The other thing I like is being able to play with my hands separated and set however I want, it's very comfortable. I can still play with the Xbox 360 pad, but I just prefer the Wii's setup more.
What's odd is that the split controller thing and need to aim is actually very UNCOMFORTABLE for me. I often play games later in the evening when I want to relax and, when leaning back, it's simply not comfortable to use. I never end up wanting to play the Wii in the evening for this reason. :p I like holding a single controller with both hands.

The aiming isn't bad, but I feel it doesn't really fit in with the game. The aiming cursor is ugly and it throws the concept of distance out the window. With the laser pointer, distant objects naturally become more difficult to target and I feel this jives more with the game design.

Just to confirm, you ARE setting Sheva to "attack" mode, right? I've talked to a lot of people that did not even realize that this was possible and played through most of the game with Sheva in passive mode.

Nikorasu

USD said:
And if you want to take items in storage, you can always select restart, which will send you back to the last checkpoint and allow you to exchange items.

It seems a lot of people's criticisms could be rectified by reading the manual. :|

Also I tried adapting to the other control schemes. I couldn't do it. Type A is the only one that makes sense to me. The others have to looking around with the right stick but having to use the left to aim. It's so awkward. To me, the ability to strafe is useless in combat and removes the ability to instantly look in any direction and snap your aim.

Nikorasu

dark10x said:
The aiming isn't bad, but I feel it doesn't really fit in with the game. The aiming cursor is ugly and it throws the concept of distance out the window. With the laser pointer, distant objects naturally become more difficult to target and I feel this jives more with the game design.

This is what I don't like about the Wii controls. It's fun, but it's not how the game was designed and balanced. It negates the distance aspect but also Leon's balance and the benefit of weapon stocks. Also the laser looks a lot cooler than a big ugly cursor floating around the screen. :|

fuck the attache case in RE4, I spent more damn time organizing that bastard than actually playing the game, having a set amount of slots in RE5 is much more efficient IMO.

Interfectum

Hachimaki said:

You just answered your own question. PS3 doesn't come with a mic therefore a LOT of people will not have one.

Top Bottom