• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Son of Godzilla said:
Uh, where should I be looking? I'm pretty sure the game didn't tell me crap, just had a bunch of ?????s when I went over stuff I didn't have.

look at the top corner of the screen, you should see a counter .

RoboPlato said:
You just need to finish the game in under 5 hours on any difficulty. It's one run-through. Just do it on Amateur.
Bingo. My current Amateur speed is like 3:27. Infinite launcher is much more practical in this game than in 4. I think it's going to be a key to getting through professional mode, in conjunction with Infinite Hydra. Professional is so brutal, I should have all achievements but war hero by tomorrow night, but war hero I may never get.

Professional seems to involve knowing where almost all enemies are coming from ahead of time, and I'm going to have trouble with that.

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh and what the hell are the little blue emblems for? We hit like 5 of them, and I thought the book said they unlocked stuff from the extras menu? I didn't have anything but the History and second book unlocked.
They're there so you can play with Sheva in a bikini.

Crap...I just wasted all mines, six grenades and all ammo to kill chapter 2-2 boss. It is still alive. Just found out you are supposed to hit
its belly not its head.

scitek

Beat this earlier. I must be the only one here left generally unimpressed by the whole thing. I think 4 blows this one out of the water as a single-player experience, and the co-op is enjoyable, but I got frustrated because the idiots I played with kept either missing QTEs (one guy missed 7 in a row at one point in chapter 2 "haha, must be cuz I'm high...my reaction time"--*disconnect*) not knowing how to fucking play Resident Evil -- running into walls and shit, or just flat-out not shutting the fuck up during co-op, causing me to miss several bits of key dialog. I know those issues aren't with the game itself, but I didn't like the co-op, so I went solo and was just plain bored.
The cover/shoot system is total garbage, and there were several sections toward the end where you pretty much HAVE to die in order to re-equip yourself with the right weapons. Why? And the "LTD?" Hello Gears ripoff! And the ending was super-cheese, like straight out of fucking Revenge of the Sith. Uninspired and lazy.

And this probably isn't a surprise, but the real-time inventory is lame and needs to get the fuck out of my Resident Evil. It's OK for two players, but for it to work solo, several amendments must be made. First, why do things disappear when you discard them? Why is the option called "discard" at all? It should be "Drop." Fucking beyond retarded. Second, why do I have to have an open spot to be able to combine a Red Herb with a Green Herb that's already in my inventory. I can pick up
Flame Throwers and Rocket Launchers
without having to have inventory spots free, I should be able to combine fucking herbs without one free. Fix this shit Capcom.

I thought the story was weak, the game just dragged on past chapter 5, and holy shit
if I saw one more guy try to look scary with the use of TENTACLES I would have fucking screamed. Find something else Capcom! Tyrant Wesker was utter fail!

Plenty of other stuff I had a problem with, but I'm going to bed. I'll give the game another play-through as I'd like to unlock more secret stuff, and play it co-op with my little brother this weekend, but man, I thought they botched a lot of stuff. It did have some stuff I liked, namely
the aspect of rescuing Jill, I found it semi-nostalgic for some reason

So, in summation, I should say I didn't HATE the game, but coming off of 4 -- which I think is one of the best games I've ever played -- for me, it had a lot to live up to, and it just didn't.

Scarecrow

My roommate and I justed capped off the game tonight. Soooo epic. I've only played Res1, 0, and 4, but am I reading this right and
this is the end of the story? They've finally killed Wesker, and I've been under the impression he's been the series final end guy.

USD

I've found the most annoying thing about playing with randoms in Mercs is that they don't realize that the combo takes priority over everything. This includes healing, picking up items, exchanging items, helping, and (especially) running away. Countless number of times I've seen randoms run away from enemies (and just the standard grunts no less), even as the combo is just about to blink out of existence. And for the love of all that is good, don't fucking help me, keep the combo going.

There are lots of problems with this game, yet I have enjoyed it. I think Edge were about right in their review. It's no better than RE4 and as it reprises a lot of RE4 gameplay (and design) it actually loses out because of it. I never found it at all scary and the dialogue was pretty poor. However it is well made, looks great, sounds great and a blast to play. Glad I got it.

I'm not at home to check but do you get an extra 5 seconds everytime you kill an enemy using melee or is it only with specific melee moves?

jax (old)

Banned
been playing mercerneries and this hasn't even really clicked in the "OH WOW" so fun category that RE4's merceneries has done for me even though solo play is essentially RE4 solo play Mercerneries. Able to get B/A ranks quite effortlessly and loving playing as Wesker. His gun play is pretty solid. I also thought Jill BSAA's knee stomp was super neat.

Right now. Game + Merccenercies.. = 8/10

although i gotta say, the more I play, the more ho hum it all feels. I'm not a big fan of hunt for the BSA emblem play. As far as I'm concerned, spinning around super fast in a 3D environment looking for shit is NOT fun.

edit add:

Suprirsed no one has complained but I fucking fucking fucking hate it when I have to left stick waggle and I hit the PShome button. Happens wayyyyyyy too often.

also hating the real time item use, I can never really easily switch to the grenades/healing herbs not in the four default slots. Its very annoying.

USD

I wish there were some sort of replay system, I would love to see some crazy Japanese players get some of the ridiculously high scores they rack up in The Mercenaries.
Baloonatic said:
I'm not at home to check but do you get an extra 5 seconds everytime you kill an enemy using melee or is it only with specific melee moves?
More specifically, you get 5 seconds for using a melee attack that kills at least one enemy. There's no extra bonus time beyond that for kill two (or more) enemies with one melee attack.

USD said:
I wish there were some sort of replay system, I would love to see some crazy Japanese players get some of the ridiculously high scores they rack up in The Mercenaries.

More specifically, you get 5 seconds for using a melee attack that kills at least one enemy. There's no extra bonus time beyond that for kill two (or more) enemies with one melee attack.

Ok thanks, that's what I thought.

seat

scitek said:
Beat this earlier. I must be the only one here left generally unimpressed by the whole thing. I think 4 blows this one out of the water as a single-player experience, and the co-op is enjoyable, but I got frustrated because the idiots I played with kept either missing QTEs (one guy missed 7 in a row at one point in chapter 2 "haha, must be cuz I'm high...my reaction time"--*disconnect*) not knowing how to fucking play Resident Evil -- running into walls and shit, or just flat-out not shutting the fuck up during co-op, causing me to miss several bits of key dialog. I know those issues aren't with the game itself, but I didn't like the co-op, so I went solo and was just plain bored.
The cover/shoot system is total garbage, and there were several sections toward the end where you pretty much HAVE to die in order to re-equip yourself with the right weapons. Why? And the "LTD?" Hello Gears ripoff! And the ending was super-cheese, like straight out of fucking Revenge of the Sith. Uninspired and lazy.

And this probably isn't a surprise, but the real-time inventory is lame and needs to get the fuck out of my Resident Evil. It's OK for two players, but for it to work solo, several amendments must be made. First, why do things disappear when you discard them? Why is the option called "discard" at all? It should be "Drop." Fucking beyond retarded. Second, why do I have to have an open spot to be able to combine a Red Herb with a Green Herb that's already in my inventory. I can pick up
Flame Throwers and Rocket Launchers
without having to have inventory spots free, I should be able to combine fucking herbs without one free. Fix this shit Capcom.

I thought the story was weak, the game just dragged on past chapter 5, and holy shit
if I saw one more guy try to look scary with the use of TENTACLES I would have fucking screamed. Find something else Capcom! Tyrant Wesker was utter fail!

Plenty of other stuff I had a problem with, but I'm going to bed. I'll give the game another play-through as I'd like to unlock more secret stuff, and play it co-op with my little brother this weekend, but man, I thought they botched a lot of stuff. It did have some stuff I liked, namely
the aspect of rescuing Jill, I found it semi-nostalgic for some reason

So, in summation, I should say I didn't HATE the game, but coming off of 4 -- which I think is one of the best games I've ever played -- for me, it had a lot to live up to, and it just didn't.
Totally agree with everything you said. Regardless, I'm still playing after beating it to enjoy the game for what it is and getting some of the extra stuff.

rezuth said:
I loved the cheesy feel of RE4, can I buy RE5 and still enjoy its more serious tone?
RE5 easily destroys RE4 in the cheese factor. I dare you not to roll your eyes at
Jill in her ninja spandex suit, or Chris proclaiming that Wesker needs to stop getting ideas from comic book villains while fighting him in the middle of a volcano. Literally.

There's also the hidden "tribal" outfit for Sheva where she's decked out in facepaint and a leopard-skin loincloth. As if that isn't stereotypical enough, selecting the costume shows her brandishing a bow and arrow. I'm surprised choosing this option didn't include lip and nose enlargements as well as darkened skin and nappier hair.
Stay classy, Capcom.

Finally finished the game with my brother. Overall I enjoyed the game. But I have three complaints.

1 The story sucked and the dialogue was laughable.
2 The inventory system is so clunky and annoying.
3 The final two part boss fight was complete bullshit.

But I still enjoyed the game.

cvxfreak

Just spent the last 3 or so hours playing through the game on Amateur in order to get the Infinite Rocket Launcher (as well as finish all of them under that mode... though not Trophy/Achievement is disappointing).

The game is honestly surprisingly short if you have a shitload of ammo. I think it might actually be shorter than CODE: Veronica.

scitek

I'm going to play some Mercenaries, and then I'll try playing through the game again. Should I play through it a second time on Amateur or Veteran? Is there anything to unlock with the easier mode?

USD

Finally SS'd with all characters on Public Assembly in Duo mode, which really isn't that hard to do (as long as you have a semi-competent partner), though it's certainly easier with some characters than others.
scitek said:
I'm going to play some Mercenaries, and then I'll try playing through the game again. Should I play through it a second time on Amater or Veteran? Is there anything to unlock with the easier mode?
There's going for all S ranks, and beating the game in under 5 hours, both of which can be done on any difficulty but is naturally easier to do on Amateur. I'd say go through Veteran (in coop preferably), unless you want more money for upgrading weapons before tackling that difficulty level.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cvxfreak said:
Just spent the last 3 or so hours playing through the game on Amateur in order to get the Infinite Rocket Launcher (as well as finish all of them under that mode... though not Trophy/Achievement is disappointing).

The game is honestly surprisingly short if you have a shitload of ammo. I think it might actually be shorter than CODE: Veronica.

at first my reaction was "isn't code veronica one of the longest resident evil games?" but i'm stupid, and then realized that the action RE games are significantly longer than the classic RE games. being shorter than CV would be pretty crazy in this case. what's weird is how much longer CV seems to me with the more measured pace and the huge setting changes.

MC Safety

Jax said:
Suprirsed no one has complained but I fucking fucking fucking hate it when I have to left stick waggle and I hit the PShome button. Happens wayyyyyyy too often.

also hating the real time item use, I can never really easily switch to the grenades/healing herbs not in the four default slots. Its very annoying.

I frequently call up the Xbox 360's pause menu when prompted to escape from an enemy's clutches.

And I agree the real-time inventory is problematic when it comes to combining herbs, trading stuff, etc.

Sectus

251k duo run on public assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnduYN4bzQY&fmt=22
We do a few small tricks to make things go a bit more smoothly. The hydra has a slow reload speed so we just reload via the inventory instead (which I almost mess up a few times). And we discard the pistol right away so that ammo for the shotgun and magnum drop more often.

414k duo run on same map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MIWOhHWg4&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuz69DjviE&fmt=22
I'm pretty sure this is the tactic you need to use to reach the top 100 for public assembly (wesker midnight or jill bsaa should work too). If you do it right, you'll actually *gain* time. And if you manage to do all this in one long combo the score should be insane.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MC Safety said:
And I agree the real-time inventory is problematic when it comes to combining herbs, trading stuff, etc.

i was being rushed by two enemies who had big gooey tentacle things bursting from their heads, and i knew i had a flashbang that could take them down in one fell swoop. great idea right? but i didn't have it on a quick-switch in my inventory. managed to switch over to it, but THREE STRAIGHT TIMES i accidentally hit B after i equipped it, handing it to sheva and completely ruining my plan.

the real-time weapon switching has issues.

Risette

A Good Citizen
beelzebozo said:
i was being rushed by two enemies who had big gooey tentacle things bursting from their heads, and i knew i had a flashbang that could take them down in one fell swoop. great idea right? but i didn't have it on a quick-switch in my inventory. managed to switch over to it, but THREE STRAIGHT TIMES i accidentally hit B after i equipped it, handing it to sheva and completely ruining my plan.

the real-time weapon switching has issues.
Not really on topic, but the best way to kill those types is to keep the
stun rod
mapped to a quick-switch direction and use that. It's a one-hit kill for the bursting-out-of-head parasite guys and the parasite dogs. Plus it's awesome for every other enemy too :D

GCQuinton

-Winnie- said:
"I just had an extreme makeover!"

Best line ever.

I take that line and raise you:

"I don't wish to be a king, Chris. I wish to be a GOD! Because even a king has to bow to a GOD!!!"

I had to put my controller down for a sec to laugh at that one :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
cvxfreak said:

running through the game on normal with two fully upgraded M3's, it was WAY shorter then a CV speed run :-/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Jax said:

As far as real time use is concerned, have you tried equipping with the left trigger? I can easily switch to grenades and healing items by opening the inventory, moving the cursor over to the item and hitting left trigger to equip it. I also tend to use bouts of invinicibility to navigate the menu, such as climbing ladders and dropping off ledges.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
second sitting took us from 3-1 to 6-3, what a marathon session. We finally stopped at
Neo Wesker
because it was getting way too late.

I have to say that the later chapters aren't as fun as the first 4. Around chapter 5 it really does start to feel a bit like Gears of RE. That wouldn't be too bad if the cover system was actually decent.

The team must've really loved Gears, with the
Hammer of Dawn
bossfight and all. Even the sound effects are the same

My favorite section of the game was
the boat ride on the swamp. I loved exploring every part of that area, with bite-sized encounters to spice it all up. Really fun section.
. Chapter 4 in general is probably the best in the game.

USD

Sectus said:
251k duo run on public assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnduYN4bzQY&fmt=22
We do a few small tricks to make things go a bit more smoothly. The hydra has a slow reload speed so we just reload via the inventory instead (which I almost mess up a few times). And we discard the pistol right away so that ammo for the shotgun and magnum drop more often.

414k duo run on same map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MIWOhHWg4&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuz69DjviE&fmt=22
I'm pretty sure this is the tactic you need to use to reach the top 100 for public assembly (wesker midnight or jill bsaa should work too). If you do it right, you'll actually *gain* time. And if you manage to do all this in one long combo the score should be insane.
Very nice. Figured that the only way to get really high scores is absolute melee whoring. My highest score on Public Assembly is 219K. The main problem I've had is being stuck at 148-149 kills, then having to run around the stage to find the last few enemies, which consumes a lot of time, eating into the time bonus. One lesson I've learned is to always kill the chicken early. :lol

If you get good at it, understand where to aim, your character's melee strength, etc., you should be able to melee whore with any character.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone gone back to RE4 after this? I was messing around with it last night and I now feel spoiled by RE5 as there are a lot of minor controls issues in RE4 that were solved in the new game. Also, the addition of things like context sensitive finishing attacks beast the hell out of pulling out your knife, slowly looking down, and then slashing repeatedly.

I can really see why RE4 was so much longer as well. The game has a lot of lengthy areas where you encounter little to no enemy resistance (you're basically just running forward). It's great for the first playthrough (builds atmosphere), but it definitely isn't great for replays.

That said, I still think RE4 is the superior experience overall. I actually do wish they would have created environments more suited to backtracking. Everyone complains about it, but I think it can be used really effectively. In RE5 you're always moving forward.

I still think RE5 is the second best game in the series, though that's probably due to the fact that I thought all non-RE4 games in the series played like rubbish (but were still enjoyable in their own right).

CO-OP really does add a lot as I'm getting much more out of RE5 at this point. Of course, not everyone has a CO-OP setup at home nor people who want to play through the game. So, basically, I have a steady stream of people to play through the game with.

scitek

Alright, playing the first Mercenaries level with Chris, I have to ask, what's the deal with there being so few enemies? I can barely keep a combo going and have to actually run around TRYING to find guys to kill a lot of the time. Why is everything so sparse?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Hey yall how do you beat that first boss in chapter 1-2?
the black monster maggot looking thingy. I play alone and fucking sheva is useless against him. I figure I got to get him down in that room and pull the switch so he burns but the motherfucker always gets out. I got the game yesterday and got so mad during this part I had to switch to sfiv

EDIT---much thanks man

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
scitek said:
Alright, playing the first Mercenaries level with Chris, I have to ask, what's the deal with there being so few enemies? I can barely keep a combo going and have to actually run around TRYING to find guys to kill a lot of the time. Why is everything so sparse?

I haven't gotten really good yet, though I do have a lot of RE4 Mercs experience. My understanding is that some of the beginning should be spent grabbing some ammo and time extensions, then it's a matter of spacing out kills and knowing spawn points.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ChrisGoldstein said:
Hey yall how do you beat that first boss in chapter 1-2?
the black monster maggot looking thingy. I play alone and fucking sheva is useless against him. I figure I got to get him down in that room and pull the switch so he burns but the motherfucker always gets out. I got the game yesterday and got so mad during this part I had to switch to sfiv

Knock down the fire canisters in the room. Uroboros will pick it up as it follows you. Go into the furnace and while it's there shoot the canister. It will explode, stunning the boss for time. Run outside, activate the switch, and watch him burn.

Sectus

dark10x said:
Has anyone gone back to RE4 after this? I was messing around with it last night and I now feel spoiled by RE5 as there are a lot of minor controls issues in RE4 that were solved in the new game. Also, the addition of things like context sensitive finishing attacks beast the hell out of pulling out your knife, slowly looking down, and then slashing repeatedly.

I can really see why RE4 was so much longer as well. The game has a lot of lengthy areas where you encounter little to no enemy resistance (you're basically just running forward). It's great for the first playthrough (builds atmosphere), but it definitely isn't great for replays.

That said, I still think RE4 is the superior experience overall. I actually do wish they would have created environments more suited to backtracking. Everyone complains about it, but I think it can be used really effectively. In RE5 you're always moving forward.

I still think RE5 is the second best game in the series, though that's probably due to the fact that I thought all non-RE4 games in the series played like rubbish (but were still enjoyable in their own right).

CO-OP really does add a lot as I'm getting much more out of RE5 at this point. Of course, not everyone has a CO-OP setup at home nor people who want to play through the game. So, basically, I have a steady stream of people to play through the game with.
Not sure if it really counts but I re-played RE4 after playing the RE5 demo to death. I definitely noticed the same subtle details about the controls. Even with Type A controls which are supposed to be identical they've made multiple subtle improvements to make aiming and moving feel smoother and more natural.

Knifing enemies on the ground is definitely tiring, I'm really glad they added those anti-ground melee moves. When directly compared, I really think the overall combat is so much more fun in RE5. RE4 has other strengths though. The atmosphere for specific areas is just amazing, I love when you go through the village again during a storm in nighttime. Speaking of which, RE4 did a better job of re-using environments, exploration and backtracking to make the game bigger. Some people would probably complain about that, but I wish they would have kept the same design for RE5. (although they did do a few really nice tricks in RE5 too, like the area in the ruins with the stairs going up and down to make that small area feel a lot bigger. And I really love 3-1 and the dark caves with the lantern, I wish they would have done more of those designs).

RE4 also had more varied enemies than I could remember. Garradors, those armours infected by las plagas and other rare enemies. RE4 is still a lot of fun, although I couldn't shake the feeling that I just wanted to go back and play the RE5 demo some more. And now as I've played the full game, I imagine it'll be even harder to play RE4 without thinking about how much RE5 does certain things better.

Davey Cakes

I played and beat RE4 a good couple of times after playing the RE5 demo.

Were there improvements in RE5? Of course. There are some cases where the controls feel smooth and polished. However, the general movement in RE4 just felt more fluid to me.

To be honest, both games have certain things that one does better than the other. Though, I hate to say it, but I feel that the addition of co-op in RE5 is the one thing that caused it NOT to be the definitively better game.

scitek

The main improvement RE5 made control-wise was the ability to "stomp" or "impale" enemies while on the ground. Outside of that, I've played the Wii version of RE4 for the past two years, and the controls in that are superior in every conceivable way, IMO.

dark10x

The main improvement RE5 made control-wide was the ability to "stomp" or "impale" enemies while on the ground. Outside of that, I've played the Wii version of RE4 for the past two years, and the controls in that are superior in every conceivable way, IMO.
I'm curious as to why you feel that way as that was the version I was playing last night. I ended up switching back to the GC pad again as a lot of moves just don't feel natural and the complete lack of camera control with the Wii-mote was also annoying. I believe the addition of a free camera in RE5 is huge while moving through the world.

I never liked the removal of the laser sight when using the Wii-mote either. I mean, it makes sense, but it feels less like aiming and more like dragging an imprecise mouse cursor around the screen. The laser sight naturally made distant shots more challenging while working well at close range.

I think RE4 plays best on the GC pad with its fantastic analog stick, but it still lacks a lot of the improvements made to RE5.

Though, I hate to say it, but I feel that the addition of co-op in RE5 is the one thing that caused it NOT to be the definitively better game.
I would agree. I feel very torn about that, however, as I think I'm enjoying it more as a result of CO-OP yet realize the design of the game could have improved without it.

dark10x

beelzebozo said:
i never even touch the camera stick in re5. i find that sort of wonky jerking around of the camera disorienting.
What do you mean? If you use type C or D controls you get a fully controllable camera (ala Splinter Cell or Gears of War). I believe type A and B both use a Gamecube-like camera system.

THE SPOILERS ARE TEMPTING ME

SUPER-SPOILERS DOWN HERE

Now I know that
Jill is not just alive but the fucking final boss. LOL WUT
Friday is so fucking close :(

I couldn't buy it last Friday because I just got some money and I've lost the detachable cord to my Xbox's power brick. Can you believe the fucker's retail price is $70? The whole console must've cost $600 to produce. Fuck me :(

Top Bottom