• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nikorasu said:
It seems a lot of people's criticisms could be rectified by reading the manual. :|

Also I tried adapting to the other control schemes. I couldn't do it. Type A is the only one that makes sense to me. The others have to looking around with the right stick but having to use the left to aim. It's so awkward. To me, the ability to strafe is useless in combat and removes the ability to instantly look in any direction and snap your aim.

I find strafing to be useful more for navigation purposes than for combat purposes. Sometimes it's nice for dodging projectiles. If I want to turn quickly without using the right stick, I actually just hold the RUN button while I press left/right on the left stick. It's essentially the same controls for RE system and I can strafe whenever I feel like it.

brandonh83 said:
fuck the attache case in RE4, I spent more damn time organizing that bastard than actually playing the game, having a set amount of slots in RE5 is much more efficient IMO.

But don't tell me that you didn't feel strangely satisfied with yourself when looking at your neatly organized attache case. :lol

Prine

Banned
This might quite possibly be the best game i've played this gen.

Im playing with a friends of mine, and we feel like paranormal detectives. We work together, talk tactics and plan our approaches. We're both fresh to the game so we're both screaming holy shit at the same time.

We even use the contextual commands (B button) alot.

Might even surpass RE4 is they keep it up. As a single player its not as good as RE4, but as a co-op experience i feel its beyond it.

And Capcom have the best gunplay mechanics in the business. Everything feels right.

Might be 10/10 for me....we'll see

Chaining Melee attacks is so much fun.

Dave1988

k1dmky.jpg

Professional was annoying.

Dot50Cal, thanks for your
Jill
fight method. It proved to be very helpful.

Nikorasu

GuardianE said:
I find strafing to be useful more for navigation purposes than for combat purposes. Sometimes it's nice for dodging projectiles. If I want to turn quickly without using the right stick, I actually just hold the RUN button while I press left/right on the left stick. It's essentially the same controls for RE system and I can strafe whenever I feel like it.

Yeah. I just find any situation that you could strafe it would be just as easy and effective to run a few steps forwards and to the side. And I'll always find insta-look more useful than strafing for navigation. ;)

But don't tell me that you didn't feel strangely satisfied with yourself when looking at your neatly organized attache case. :lol

I admit it. I'd sporadically reorganize my entire case in different ways trying to find the 'perfect' layout several times throughout the game. Probably why re4 seems so much longer than 5. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah. I just find any situation that you could strafe it would be just as easy and effective to run a few steps forwards and to the side. And I'll always find insta-look more useful than strafing for navigation. ;)
Well, it's not so much about navigation as the freedom to take in the environment. I enjoy being able to look around smoothly as I move through the environment.

Neiteio

Is THIS BOOK hardcover as it says and full of 3D renders for bosses and enemies (I love oogling their figures so I wouldn't mind having them in a book)? I'm think about picking it up with the City Folk guide.

Impressions of the guide would be appreciated. The Piggyback guide for MGS4 was absolutely incredible, so I'm very interested in this one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Is THIS BOOK hardcover as it says and full of 3D renders for bosses and enemies (I love oogling their figures so I wouldn't mind having them in a book)? I'm think about picking it up with the City Folk guide.

Impressions of the guide would be appreciated. The Piggyback guide for MGS4 was absolutely incredible, so I'm very interested in this one.

It's a very pretty guide. I'm happy with it. The bestiary is very detailed, with large pictures and plenty of statistics. There is a small art section in the back. The layout is intuitive and the design is smart.

Neiteio said:

Yes it is hardcover and it's absolutely superb. I'm not completely sure what you mean by 3D renders of the bosses but it does have a beastiary with images of all the enemies.

Neiteio

Baloonatic said:
Yes it is hardcover and it's absolutely superb. I'm not completely sure what you mean by 3D renders of the bosses but it does have a beastiary with images of all the enemies.
I mean like big images of their character models on the pages. My copy of RE5 came with a sample excerpt of the guide that seemed to suggest there's a lot of this, like the render of Uroboros on the chapter for Public Assembly, and another large render of the Giant Majini (the one with the mask). I was just wondering if there's a lot of renders like this in the book, because I love seeing the character models in detail.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
I mean like big images of their character models on the pages. My copy of RE5 came with a sample excerpt of the guide that seemed to suggest there's a lot of this, like the render of Uroboros on the chapter for Public Assembly, and another large render of the Giant Majini (the one with the mask). I was just wondering if there's a lot of renders like this in the book, because I love seeing the character models in detail.

It's not really filled with model pics, but there are plenty of pages showcasing the character models. There's no section devoted to them specifically, though.

Neiteio said:

Ah right, the bosses all have their own page and a large picture of them while normal enemies have slightly smaller pictures. I have to admit that the sub-boss pictures aren't as big as I'd like but they're adequate. There are other big pcitures of characters in different uniforms etc. sprinkled throughout the guide as well.

Neiteio

GuardianE said:
It's not really filled with model pics, but there are plenty of pages showcasing the character models. There's no section devoted to them specifically, though.
Oh, that's fine. I wasn't expecting a section dedicated solely to character models. As long as there's quite a few of them as part of the layout of the regular walkthrough.

Also, does one book cover both versions of the game (360 and PS3)? And do they have renders of Uroboros Aheri? (The
Excella
one?)

EDIT: Sounds great, Baloonatic. Thanks. :D

beat the game vetern co-op last night. now i gotta go back and get the rest of the emblems and play mercs.

was there a scene after the credits? i skipped them

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Oh, that's fine. I wasn't expecting a section dedicated solely to character models. As long as there's quite a few of them as part of the layout of the regular walkthrough.

Also, does one book cover both versions of the game (360 and PS3)? And do they have renders of Uroboros Aheri? (The
Excella
one?)

EDIT: Sounds great, Baloonatic. Thanks. :D

Both versions of the game are identical, so it does have both button layouts reflected where necessary.

I don't remember if that particular boss has a big picture or not. It would be the same stock render that is the figure. I know it has a picture, I just don't recall how pronounced it is. I don't have my guide with me at the moment.

Hesemonni

Banned
One more boss to go...

I'm enjoying the game alot more now that I stopped giving a crap about preserving ammunition and just blast away. Next up is sub 5 hr run on amateur and maybe I'll snag the emblems I missed. Speaking of emblems a certain emblem in 6-1 drove me nuts and took me a couple of restarts to finally get.

Neiteio

GuardianE said:
Both versions of the game are identical, so it does have both button layouts reflected where necessary.

I don't remember if that particular boss has a big picture or not. It would be the same stock render that is the figure. I know it has a picture, I just don't recall how pronounced it is. I don't have my guide with me at the moment.
There's only one version of the guide though, right? There aren't separate PS3 and 360 versions, correct?

And it looks like it comes with a calendar, the last pic of which has Uroboros Aheri (see the pic at Amazon). That boss was EPIC, second best-looking in the game (or maybe first best-looking, tied with
U-8
).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
There's only one version of the guide though, right? There aren't separate PS3 and 360 versions, correct?

And it looks like it comes with a calendar, the last pic of which has Uroboros Aheri (see the pic at Amazon). That boss was EPIC, second best-looking in the game (or maybe first best-looking, tied with
U-8
).

Oh, right. I forgot about the calendar. You can definitely get your render fix there.

Yes, there's only one version of the guide.

xfactor

Banned
The guide is written for both consoles. There are 2 versions: 1 is the normal vers, the other is the hard cover, collector's edition.

The CE contain a calendar and is in hard cover. I've no idea what's the different content wise.

The book have nice artworks, concept arts of some characters and background, an interview and a brief analyze of the game in its beta (for eg, a wooden chair was to be one of majini's weapon)

BeeDog

I'm planning on doing a <5 hours run now (my current Amateur clock run is on roughly 7 hours). Could anyone that has gotten the
Infinite Rocket Launcher
please write down their specific chapter/section times? Wanna know which chapters I should try speedrunning. Thanks.

Neiteio

GuardianE said:
Oh, right. I forgot about the calendar. You can definitely get your render fix there.

Yes, there's only one version of the guide.
Thanks! I'll go ahead and pick this up. It's so awesome that it's hardcover. I don't have to worry about bending the cover. (I'm OCD about my books' condition.)

God that render of Uroboros Aheri is sweet. I need to do my 30-emblem run so I can unlock that mofo's figure. Maybe I'm the only one who thought that boss was really amazing. The bright orange bulbs against a dark night sky and the sudden illumination of the
satellite laser
was nothing short of visually arresting. I'm so happy 6-2 is essentially dedicated to it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BeeDog said:
I'm planning on doing a <5 hours run now (my current Amateur clock run is on roughly 7 hours). Could anyone that has gotten the
Infinite Rocket Launcher
please write down their specific chapter/section times? Wanna know which chapters I should try speedrunning. Thanks.

You should just try speedrunning all of it. Do whatever your longest chapters were first and blitz through those to get a good time. You'll unlock your weapon soon. I wasn't even going for a speedrun, but rather just trying to grab all the Emblems (so moving quickly through the levels to get those quickly) on Normal Single Player and I got the
Infinite Rocket Launcher
as a result by accident.

ShinAmano

I have yet to beat the game (or play co-op) but i was wondering (without spoiling anything) if someone can tell me about Mercenaries mode...Ive played it in 4 so I know what it is and how it works, but do you gain anything in the main game by playing it?

Insaniac

I have to ask, what was the design choice in allowing people to use the item menu to reload now? It's really dumb, choose one or the other, giving people the ability to reload while performing a punch really removes the frantic-ness of reloading while being swarmed by enemies.

Neiteio

ShinAmano said:
I have yet to beat the game (or play co-op) but i was wondering (without spoiling anything) if someone can tell me about Mercenaries mode...Ive played it in 4 so I know what it is and how it works, but do you gain anything in the main game by playing it?
You gain 1,000 points everytime you get a B rank on a Mercenaries level and 1,500 points with an A, so it's a quick, fun way to build points you can use to unlock features such as Infinite Ammo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ShinAmano said:

Nope. Just additional characters and a few Mercenaries exclusive weapons for some of those characters.

EDIT: Oh, I'd forgotten about the point system. Yeah, you get those points TO unlock stuff that's available to you.

ShinAmano

Neiteio said:
You gain 1,000 points everytime you get a B rank on a Mercenaries level and 1,500 points with an A, so it's a quick, fun way to build points you can use to unlock features such as Infinite Ammo.
Thanks.

Teknoman

Volcynika said:
Ok, me and Teknoman made it to 6-1 last night, so we're near the end!

Anyways we won't be able to finish the game till tomorrow at least, so in the meantime...

Can someone with the PS3 version help me complete 3-1 and 4-1 on Veteran sometime tonight? My guns are fairly upgraded for the most part, I just missed getting credit for completing them.

I have a mic, and I'm in the US Central Timezone. I have like one TV show I gotta see tonight but that's about it. (hopefully be good to go around 8pm). If you can help, send a PM my way or just add me to PSN: Volcynika.

That close on the Wesker context combo...that close. But at least we found the F.E. Magnum.

Neiteio

Speaking of Mercenaries,
BSAA Jill
is a BAMF. I had an absolute blast using her on Experimental Facility, popping one head after after another with the PX4's 99% critical hit rate, insta-killing Dulvians and Cephalos with her five flash grenades, and using spray-n-pray tactics with the H&K to stun groups for crowd-clearing kicks and stomps. The fact she comes with a First Aid Spray is mere icing on the cake.

And the best part is, she's the easiest character to unlock. I unlocked her on my first try on Public Assembly with Chris. I love her! (And consequently hope she's not TOO popular online. >_>)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Speaking of Mercenaries,
BSAA Jill
is a BAMF. I had an absolute blast using her on Experimental Facility, popping one head after after another with the PX4's 99% critical hit rate, insta-killing Dulvians and Cephalos with her five flash grenades, and using spray-n-pray tactics with the H&K to stun groups for crowd-clearing kicks and stomps. The fact she comes with a First Aid Spray is mere icing on the cake.

And the best part is, she's the easiest character to unlock. I unlocked her on my first try on Public Assembly with Chris. I love her! (And consequently hope she's not TOO popular online. >_>)

I really like her too. Her PX4 is actually an 85% or critical rate (taken from the guide), but still all levels of awesomeness. She has the weakest context sensitive attacks out of all the characters, though, with the exception of her
Grounded Double Knee Stomp, which is an instant kill.
Anywho, I'd expect to see more
Weskers
online... but even if not, can't both player select the same character?

does anyone agree there should be separate threads for mercs discussion, story help, and story discussion and personal reviews?

I'm trying to read all the posts so that I dont skip over any interesting discussion about mercs, then I see some post about a question that I can answer, but theres still 150 posts after it so even if the question wasn't answered I wont know until i read all the posts, by which time I'll have forgotten about the question anyway.

Although I am relatively new to gaf so for all I know I could be committing a cardinal sin by suggesting such a thing.

Neiteio

BSAA Jill
comes fully loaded with flash grenades, which is a GODSEND as I cannot for the life of me defeat Dulvians otherwise (y'know, those fleshly clamshell plagas). You can supposedly shoot the fleshy, uh, testicles hanging from their legs to open up the clamshell, and I think I pulled this off once or twice, but in the heat of combat it's so much simpler to lob a flash grenade (preferably with a bunch of Cephalos already in pursuit).

As for
Wesker
, man, he's a far more technical character this time around. His pistol feels unusually sensitive, making it difficult to whip around and nail headshots like I would with other pistols. I definitely see the potential, though. The explosives he carries can be used for all sorts of fun, and that magnum packs a punch...

A surprisingly fun character is
Clubbin' Sheva
. Gotta love the jailbreaker shotgun. :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ice Monkey said:
does anyone agree there should be separate threads for mercs discussion, story help, and story discussion and personal reviews?

I'm trying to read all the posts so that I dont skip over any interesting discussion about mercs, then I see some post about a question that I can answer, but theres still 150 posts after it so even if the question wasn't answered I wont know until i read all the posts, by which time I'll have forgotten about the question anyway.

Although I am relatively new to gaf so for all I know I could be committing a cardinal sin by suggesting such a thing.

I think that's just how forums are in general. And as far as GAF goes, it probably has to stick to one thread. I always read the last posts first and make my way backwards, if I'm inclined.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
BSAA Jill
comes fully loaded with flash grenades, which is a GODSEND as I cannot for the life of me defeat Dulvians otherwise (y'know, those fleshly clamshell plagas). You can supposedly shoot the fleshy, uh, testicles hanging from their legs to open up the clamshell, and I think I pulled this off once or twice, but in the heat of combat it's so much simpler to lob a flash grenade (preferably with a bunch of Cephalos already in pursuit).

As for
Wesker
, man, he's a far more technical character this time around. His pistol feels unusually sensitive, making it difficult to whip around and nail headshots like I would with other pistols. I definitely see the potential, though. The explosives he carries can be used for all sorts of fun, and that magnum packs a punch...

A surprisingly fun character is
Clubbin' Sheva
. Gotta love the jailbreaker shotgun. :D

STARS Wesker
is arguably the most powerful Mercs character in the game. Hydra + Magnum + high powered specialty handgun. The handgun kills most majini in two or three shots, depending on where you hit them.

I really like
Tribal Sheva, Battle Suit Jill and STARS Wesker
I've said it before but I hate that you can't get the Samurai Edge in the main game. I'm praying that someone will be able to mod the PC version so we can use it.

Jax said:
been playing mercerneries and this hasn't even really clicked in the "OH WOW" so fun category that RE4's merceneries has done for me even though solo play is essentially RE4 solo play Mercerneries. Able to get B/A ranks quite effortlessly and loving playing as Wesker. His gun play is pretty solid. I also thought Jill BSAA's knee stomp was super neat.

Right now. Game + Merccenercies.. = 8/10

although i gotta say, the more I play, the more ho hum it all feels. I'm not a big fan of hunt for the BSA emblem play. As far as I'm concerned, spinning around super fast in a 3D environment looking for shit is NOT fun.

edit add:

Suprirsed no one has complained but I fucking fucking fucking hate it when I have to left stick waggle and I hit the PShome button. Happens wayyyyyyy too often.

also hating the real time item use, I can never really easily switch to the grenades/healing herbs not in the four default slots. Its very annoying.

agreed about the pshome, the emblems are no fun to find without a guide, and the item management. Especially the items: caused many a death or a stupid loss of health during crazy mercs runs.

How about how you can go up a ladder or be running by a melee enemy and there's NOTHING AT ALL you can do to avoid the attack unless you can get a certain distance away from them? Running past a melee enemy will most of the time STILL get you hit, because the melee attack perfectly tracks you as you walk by, which is retarded although i do understand it could be there for balance reasons.

Completely disagree with mercs comments though, try getting on the leaderboards or going for SS rankings in duo play then get back to me about how tough it can be. How about trying to kill all the enemies in the stage? Yeah, they end at 150 and you get a bonus although I've NEVER managed to kill all of them. Personally, one thing I really hate about duo mercs with a random is that A ranks are very easy to get, and you dont unlock anything for higher than an A rank, so nobody in a random lobby online apparently cares about trying any harder than it takes to get an A.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ice Monkey said:
How about how you can go up a ladder or be running by a melee enemy and there's NOTHING AT ALL you can do to avoid the attack unless you can get a certain distance away from them? Running past a melee enemy will most of the time STILL get you hit, because the melee attack perfectly tracks you as you walk by, which is retarded although i do understand it could be there for balance reasons.

Not true. There's a strategy that's been derived from very early incarnations of Resident Evil... the fake out. The fact that the melee attack tracks onto you can be used to your advantage. Enemies will anticipate your movement and attack where you're going to move. So, simply run forward a few steps to the side, then step back. The majini will swing where he thought you were running.

GuardianE said:
STARS Wesker
is arguably the most powerful Mercs character in the game. Hydra + Magnum + high powered specialty handgun. The handgun kills most majini in two or three shots, depending on where you hit them.

STARS Wesker
is extremely overpowered, but thats fine since you arent graded simply oin your score on a level or your rank with any character, but rather with each character on each level, so yeah the ranking for a run through with
STARS Wesker
is just like a measure of how well you can do on the easiest setting.

Any argument that
STARS Wesker
is not overpowered is proven wrong by how one shot with the samurai edge stuns every single enemy in mercs, even the
FIRE EXECUTIONER
. Although it allows for some fun raping of
FIRE EXECUTIONER
by stunning with a friggin pistol shot of all things and meleeing the shit out of him. For pete's sake I've hit that piece of shit with 3 hydra shots or 200
battle suit jill
MG shots and havent stunned his ass when he was about to one shot axe you to death.

USD

Neiteio said:
And 3000 for S, 5000 for SS.

USD

Ice Monkey said:
argument that
STARS Wesker
is not overpowered is proven wrong by how one shot with the samurai edge stuns every single enemy in mercs, even the
FIRE EXECUTIONER
. Although it allows for some fun raping of
FIRE EXECUTIONER
by stunning with a friggin pistol shot of all things and meleeing the shit out of him. For pete's sake I've hit that piece of shit with 3 hydra shots or 200
battle suit jill
MG shots and havent stunned his ass when he was about to one shot axe you to death.
See that massive weak spot on his back (same spot as the regular one)? Shoot it. If you know where to hit him, he's easy to stun.

Papercuts said:
I'm starting to get S ranks a lot more often in Mercs now, but I have no clue how the hell anyone can get an SS, 160K is just waaay too much for me to ever get.

It's actually 150k but yeah I can get SS ranks in mercs now, obviously one way is to get a combo going that you never stop, but I noticed a huge change in my scores playing with a smarter partner and then following a general strategy of kill everything that moves. I can usually mange an S or more even almost completely ignoring the combo count and trying to kill everything as fast as I can.

USD said:
See that massive weak spot on his back (same spot as the regular one)? Shoot it. If you know where to hit him, he's easy to stun.

true, I usually go for his head though. The gamefaqs mercs faq mentions that its the same exact thing as shooting his head. And I was mainly talking about when he is about to start swinging his axe, I've sat there and shot him 3 times with the hydra or about 150-200 mg bullets all at once, and he wouldnt stun. I wasnt aiming at his head but still youd think if the samurai edge will stun him with one shot to the foot, that 3 hydra shots would also make him fall over, but that was my mistake :).

Top Bottom