• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus said:
251k duo run on public assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnduYN4bzQY&fmt=22
We do a few small tricks to make things go a bit more smoothly. The hydra has a slow reload speed so we just reload via the inventory instead (which I almost mess up a few times). And we discard the pistol right away so that ammo for the shotgun and magnum drop more often.

414k duo run on same map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MIWOhHWg4&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuz69DjviE&fmt=22
I'm pretty sure this is the tactic you need to use to reach the top 100 for public assembly (wesker midnight or jill bsaa should work too). If you do it right, you'll actually *gain* time. And if you manage to do all this in one long combo the score should be insane.

wow. I havent even watched the second and third video but I cant believe I didnt think about discarding some of the weapons if you dont give a shit about them. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. The manual reload will also help me out immensely as I am ALWAYS caught reloading and get hit by someone. the hydra is awesome for killing fodder enemies.

edit: is that a strategy you use for all the characters? get rid of their weaker weapons so you dont get shit for ammo? Like I tend to always run out of shotgun ammo for regular chris, and then cant quite keep combos going because the pistol is less reliable at killing an enemy quickly.

edit 2: did you notice on your first video you were experiencing the lag that I mentioned several several pages back that happens with a bad connection to the other player?

USD

Ice Monkey said:
true, I usually go for his head though. The gamefaqs mercs faq mentions that its the same exact thing as shooting his head. And I was mainly talking about when he is about to start swinging his axe, I've sat there and shot him 3 times with the hydra or about 150-200 mg bullets all at once, and he wouldnt stun. I wasnt aiming at his head but still youd think if the samurai edge will stun him with one shot to the foot, that 3 hydra shots would also make him fall over, but that was my mistake :).
If he's the same as the regular version (which I assume to be the case), then the back is his true weak spot. Even if you can down him with a single headshot (which is possible, depending on the weapon), hitting him in that spot will take him down faster. Anyway, that's just one of the Samurai Edge's special properties. And I could have easily told you that any version of Wesker is overpowered.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
USD said:
And I could have easily told you that any version of Wesker is overpowered.

As he should be. I just wish
his windfall move caused more bodyparts to explode around him, like it did in RE4.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
so how exactly do you get the Who do you trust? achievement? I read you have to thank Sheva whenever you get something from her or she heals/helps you, but i've been doing that a ton while replaying some chapters and it's not unlocking.

mattso

Darunia said:
so how exactly do you get the Who do you trust? achievement? I read you have to thank Sheva whenever you get something from her or she heals/helps you, but i've been doing that a ton while replaying some chapters and it's not unlocking.
I got it last night and basically all I kept doing was give chris every healing item I found, didn't request anything from him, and thanked him every time he healed us...so just give it time.

USD said:
If he's the same as the regular version (which I assume to be the case), then the back is his true weak spot. Even if you can down him with a single headshot (which is possible, depending on the weapon), hitting him in that spot will take him down faster. Anyway, that's just one of the Samurai Edge's special properties. And I could have easily told you that any version of Wesker is overpowered.

Yah i know, I was just saying if anyone tried to say he wasnt they would be wrong. By the way, check out that faq on gamefaqs, it has a lot of useful info and one of the things he mentions is that the back is like a second head with the damage that's done. He specifically says "While he has a pinkish weak spot on his back, note that his head remains just as weak." Also, it mentions how the flame guy gets you 10k points (which is more than what the regular version is worth, 5k) and he is tougher, 180% as fast and has "more resistance" than a regular one.

The most useful thing the faq points out is the regions of the map that spawn which enemies, and how after like a predetermined amount of enemies killed, like say 20 regular majini, a reaper will spawn in the mines for example, then 40 and the first reaper killed spawns another one...etc. This is helpful because you can judge how many enemies are left in a specific region by how many minibosses you've killed, then in the mines for example you would head into the mines to get another stream of enemies for your combo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Darunia said:

I'm not entirely sure that the relationship saves over if you do chapter select. If you "Restart" a chapter it does (I think), but not if you choose different chapters to do it in. Either do it in one playthrough or one level that you keep "restarting."

Darunia said:

I read that you're supposed to thank her 20 times for the achievement, and it must be single player only. Possibly even on one chapter.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ice Monkey said:
I read that you're supposed to thank her 20 times for the achievement, and it must be single player only. Possibly even on one chapter.

so i could just pass a box of ammo around for 20 times, thank her and I should get it? i'll try that tonight

beelzebozo said:
i'm only on chapter 3-2, but i would definitely say the economy isn't nearly so good or interesting in nearly every respect as in re4. treasure is less interesting, weapons improve less tangibly. . . i even miss the merchant.
OMG it's mean to reflect the current economy! Realism FTL

Pojo

Banned
Do you get more gold in split-screen or something (PS3)? Because I'd hate to have to waste the gold upgrading two identical weapons. :\

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Darunia said:
so i could just pass a box of ammo around for 20 times, thank her and I should get it? i'll try that tonight

I didn't do this, but I've heard that you can stockpile healing items, fill her (and your)inventory with them, use an electric generator to shock yourselves, have her heal you, then thank her, give her your healing items when she runs out.... repeat until you get the achievement.

Pojo

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i'm only on chapter 3-2, but i would definitely say the economy isn't nearly so good or interesting in nearly every respect as in re4. treasure is less interesting, weapons improve less tangibly. . . i even miss the merchant.
Yeah, all of that is a step backwards. I suppose it's more streamlined for a multiplayer game, though.

Nothing beats RE4 in that department.

USD

Ice Monkey said:
Yah i know, I was just saying if anyone tried to say he wasnt they would be wrong. By the way, check out that faq on gamefaqs, it has a lot of useful info and one of the things he mentions is that the back is like a second head with the damage that's done. He specifically says "While he has a pinkish weak spot on his back, note that his head remains just as weak." Also, it mentions how the flame guy gets you 10k points (which is more than what the regular version is worth, 5k) and he is tougher, 180% as fast and has "more resistance" than a regular one.

The most useful thing the faq points out is the regions of the map that spawn which enemies, and how after like a predetermined amount of enemies killed, like say 20 regular majini, a reaper will spawn in the mines for example, then 40 and the first reaper killed spawns another one...etc. This is helpful because you can judge how many enemies are left in a specific region by how many minibosses you've killed, then in the mines for example you would head into the mines to get another stream of enemies for your combo.
It's definitely different. I just tested it out myself. Playing as Safari Chris, it takes 4 pistol head shots to stun, while only 3 hits to his weak spot.

xero273

I have a question. So my friend already beat the game, I have played the game from ch. 1-1 to chapter 2-2 and then i skipped all the way to ch. 5-2 to 6-1. If my friend invites me to ch. 6-3 and we beat the game, can I buy the infinite ammo upgrade or do I actually need to go back and play through 2-3 to 5-1?

Thanks.

I just checked the leaderboards and the highest score for Public Assembly co-op is like 780,000?! I can't even begin to imagine how you get it that high.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
xero273 said:
I have a question. So my friend already beat the game, I have played the game from ch. 1-1 to chapter 2-2 and then i skipped all the way to ch. 5-2 to 6-1. If my friend invites me to ch. 6-3 and we beat the game, can I buy the infinite ammo upgrade or do I actually need to go back and play through 2-3 to 5-1?

Thanks.
Infinite ammo is unlocked for purchase when you max out a weapon. It has nothing to do with progress in the game.

xero273

RoboPlato said:
Infinite ammo is unlocked for purchase when you max out a weapon. It has nothing to do with progress in the game.

I remember highlighting infinite ammo for a weapon and it says I need to beat the game so I can buy it.

Rash said:
I played and beat RE4 a good couple of times after playing the RE5 demo.

Were there improvements in RE5? Of course. There are some cases where the controls feel smooth and polished. However, the general movement in RE4 just felt more fluid to me.

To be honest, both games have certain things that one does better than the other. Though, I hate to say it, but I feel that the addition of co-op in RE5 is the one thing that caused it NOT to be the definitively better game.

One thing I keep forgetting to ask and hope for discussion here is if anyone thought it would have been great and solved everyone's problems with the game, although extremely unrealistic if you could play the entirety of RE5 solo, with separate leaderboards and tracked C through S ranks, as either sheva or chris but the cutscenes had both characters in them and whenever a partner action would need to be taken some ghost comes out and grabs the other lever while you play.

I think it could work if added as some bonus mode after beating professional on co-op or something, would add more replayability to the game, and would in general make the game better. Obviously it would be unrealistic, but more unrealistic than shooting chickens on 3-1 with an infinite rocket launcher?

USD

I cry every time I see my teammate running away from foes just as the combo is going to blink out of existence. *sigh*
xero273 said:
I remember highlighting infinite ammo for a weapon and it says I need to beat the game so I can buy it.
Yeah, regardless of whether you can actually purchase it or not, you can't turn on infinite ammo until you beat the game.

hulot

xero273 said:
That's correct and I'm pretty certain you'd need to clear each level since the game does keep track of that through chapter select.

David H Wong said:
I had a problem with him getting up after being stunned and slipping out of the door, if he gets up you can stand at the door and shoot him to force him back in long enough for the door to close.

I must have beaten him countless times, and my strategy each and every time was to hit the switch before he even enters that room, with me running from the left side to the right, where the switch is. by the time he gets to the right door, he is stuck in the room. Never even thought to try it any other way, and it would appear that's the quickest way to kill him too because I didnt need to shoot him even once or push a bottle over.

I sure hope i dont need to spoiler that since it should be impossible to understand without knowing what i'm talking about.

BeeDog

Have a question regarding S ranking chapters:

I'm trying to unlock all the figurines now, and one of them requires S ranks on all levels. Does this mean that I have to S rank all of them on the same difficulty level, or doesn't the diff. level matter, just that I got an S rank on any difficulty level?

demigod

Darunia said:

I got this on my first run thru on veteran mode. I got it in the ruins where you send her off alone to get one of the plates. I just shot guys that were near her.

BitchTits

Enjoying this a lot so far, but I'm not amazed by it since it's all so familiar. I just got past the (first?) missing pieces puzzle - with the hovercraft (crocodiles! :lol ) , I've liked it a lot so far, I hope they're serious about the next RE being a reboot though. This IS like RE4:HD, which is not the worst thing to be given RE4 was so great, but it does feel old and recycled.

Lots of silly niggles with the menu/inventory system, these are archaic last gen things that should've been sorted out long ago.

evilromero said:
There are so many nagging issues with this game that piss me off. I'm about finished with veteran mode and making good time but I swear the little things they left in hurt this game. It's like the series took one step forward (graphics) and two steps back (controls seem to be worse, wonky hit detection from enemies, how they can track you and always hit you, how you have to be in precise areas to jump off of buildings, through windows, etc- it's reminds me of the original RE games where you had to push a button to walk up and down stairs!). Seriously, in a Zelda/Mario game, you walk into doors and they open. You approach a ledge, you auto jump, you approach a ladder and you just start climbing the damn thing.

Even worse is the ridiculous menu system. Why I can't organize my shit in-game is beyond me. Why I have to wait until I die or beat a level to rearrange things just seems silly. For all its technical prowess the game is in a largely devolved state.

I love the lab section. Last night I took the time to kill ALL the Lickers that escaped the glass holding cells. Guess what you get for that? Jack shit. And you know what happens when you THEN call the elevator? They respawn and approach again. Shit like this is prevalent throughout the game. It's like they ignored all the little things, which actually amount to serious issues.

And don't get me started on the horribly implemented quick-time actions. It was cute in Shenmue, acceptable in RE4 but now it is just derivative like much of the features in this game. Thank god the broad RE appeal is still there or this would be an exercise in how to rip off elements of many other successful games (GoW for example).

The QTE events are a little much in the game, but the lickers (not all of them though) drop lionhearts which are worth 5k each, and ive had the additional ones that respawn drop one or two as well, so i dont quite get what the problem is there.

The hit detection is annoying as shit because you can only dodge melee attacks by being far enough away, but im positive they did it like that because maybe play-testing found it was too easy without it.

The whole opening doors and jumping thing is probably not automatic or everywhere because in many many points playing the game there is some strategy involved with NOT jumping when at a jump point or NOT opening a door so an enemy does it instead. Maybe its just me. Plus, It's hard enough getting used to having a circle always on the screen, but having an option to climb anything in the game would likely get very distracting, plud with the way hit detection is done, you'd be vulnerable at the start and end of every one of these climbs/jumps.

By the way, you can organize things in the inventory by pressing square or x and moving them? But not being able to pick up a red herb when your inventory is full to combine with the green herb in your inventory is REALLY annoying. The whole green herb/red herb is annoying in general in this game.

Vyse The Legend said:
Wait, there's a limit to the number of enemies you can kill in Mercenaries mode? WTF?! That's beyond dumb.

I dont know how it could be done differently, but theres certainly just as much to do to further boost a score for the leaderboards by getting 1k points for every second left on the clock as there would be if enemies never stopped appearing, so its OK in my book.

Oh yeah, and dont forget, that even though camping and racking up a huge combo might sound fun in theory, I think its very understandable that they set up regions in each map that have a set limit of enemies to kill, which effectively makes it impossible to beat the leaderboard scores by finding one single spot to camp in.

Hachimaki said:
My biggest complaint with RE 5 is not the game itself but the people who play it. None of my friends own the game so I have to pair up with random people online. Who buys the game and plays cooperatively but doesn't have a mic? This game is based around communication between your teammate and it's mind boggling. I'm playing the PS3 version btw.

i've actually encountered many randoms online who have a ps3 mic, but yeah i think theres more on the 360 if thats up for debate :-/

A) wish professional mode actually had more intensity -- like, you know - harder enemies in different locations mixed with other enemy types (kind of like how mercenaries throws shit at you) instead of just simply -- one hit your dead oz my god!!

B) You could use Wesker in the campaign, even if the story didn't make sense (omit the cutscenes, whatever)

C) As much as I like this, playing Re5 makes me appreciate Re4 that much more.

0.02 cents given.

Synless

Ok, here's the deal. I'm on 5-3 Veteran mode on the PS3 and getting my ass kicked right in the beginning. I need help. Who's up for it?

Edit** Liquid NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

USD

Fuck the Cephalos (the long centipede parasites). I swear the game is designed so that those parasites have a higher chance of appearing if the combo meter is about to run out.

Baloonatic said:
I think Professional mode would be ridiculous with default weapons and equipment.

Probably already been said but im still trying to catch up with the extremely long thread posts, but they may as well call professional mode "infinite ammo mode".

I'm actually glad about all the decisions that lead to weapons carrying over and the obvious exploits, because otherwise we wouldnt have professional mode as it is now.

This mode, with its one hit kills, is likely the closest to a zombie game that actually emulates dying/BEING INFECTED after getting "bitten" which in most zombie movies is HOW THE INFECTION IS SPREAD.

Nikorasu

C- Warrior said:
A) wish professional mode actually had more intensity -- like, you know - harder enemies in different locations mixed with other enemy types (kind of like how mercenaries throws shit at you) instead of just simply -- one hit your dead oz my god!!

I'm really hoping they pull a DMC4 with the PC version (legendary dark knight mode) and add some kind of 'extreme survival mode' that more than doubles the number of enemies (with more hit points) as well as throws in more random elements like the unique enemies from mercs that pop up during various encounters. Throw in another visual filter that cranks up the contrast and I'm yours for life capcom.

Basically, I want the PC version to look like this:
RE5big.jpg

USD said:
Fuck the Cephalos (the long centipede parasites). I swear the game is designed so that those parasites have a higher chance of appearing if the combo meter is about to run out.

Possibly true. I went to that faq that I keep mentioning to see if it said anything about this, but all I could find was an example like the village, where the exact amount of bui kichwa's is noted. Here's the example copied from his guide:

The Village:
============
.--------------------.---------------------------------.-----------------------.
|Enemies: |Spawning Condition(s): |Additional Notes: |
|====================|=================================|=======================|
|Majini(Wetlands) x64|Player must be in Region A |Max. of 9 at a time |
|+ Bui Kichwa x16 | | |
|Majini(Wetlands) x50|Player must be in Region B |Max. of 10 at a time |
|+ Bui Kichwa x10 | | |

He actually mentions all the melee attacks the characters can do, and for every one of them, if the kill is either the one where you shoot them in the knees and press square behind them (neck breaker, throat slit, etc) or you do the bounce back and forth combo that gets you a trophy or achievement, there is no chance of a parasite appearing.

I personally love playing as chris and doing 5 neck breakers in a row to all the enemies running around me. You dont even have to turn towards them most of the time, just run past them and youll get the prompt :)

Majmun

The egg glitch doesn't seem to work in the Ps3 version. At least not in local co-op.

Shit! I'll have to grind for hours now. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Second said:
The egg glitch doesn't seem to work in the Ps3 version. At least not in local co-op.

Shit! I'll have to grind for hours now. :(
You could just play the game the way it was meant to be played, and unlock the bonuses as, well, bonuses. ;)

Daigoro

so ive been through the game about 4 times now on various difficulties (havet touched Pro yet, but thats coming up soon).

last night i started playing Mercenaries a bit more seriously and i wound up staying up until amost 6AM this morning. :lol

i love this game.

Captain N

Synless said:
Ok, here's the deal. I'm on 5-3 Veteran mode on the PS3 and getting my ass kicked right in the beginning. I need help. Who's up for it?

Edit** Liquid NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

I'll help you..as long as I can use my unlimited ammo! :)

Majmun

Rez said:
You could just play the game the way it was meant to be played, and unlock the bonuses as, well, bonuses. ;)

Yeah, but but the egg-glitch spoiled me. :(
I made 90k in 3 minutes in the X360 version.
Now I'll have to replay the levels for a million times to get to that amount.

But alas...

Captain N

Second said:

But alas...

Do you know of any spots that the gold egg shows up more than others?

GuardianE said:
Not true. There's a strategy that's been derived from very early incarnations of Resident Evil... the fake out. The fact that the melee attack tracks onto you can be used to your advantage. Enemies will anticipate your movement and attack where you're going to move. So, simply run forward a few steps to the side, then step back. The majini will swing where he thought you were running.

So you're saying when you are running past one of these guys, and you see him start to attack on your front-left side, you can just stop and his little hook or bottle will track the path you would have taken while running along side of him, so its like you actually did run past him (because he tracks you as you run by) but then did a little prince of persia back to the future thing 5 seconds into the past and chose to stop instead of continue running?

If so, that will be so hilarious to watch unfold.

GuardianE said:
I really like her too. Her PX4 is actually an 85% or critical rate (taken from the guide), but still all levels of awesomeness. She has the weakest context sensitive attacks out of all the characters, though, with the exception of her
Grounded Double Knee Stomp, which is an instant kill.
Anywho, I'd expect to see more
Weskers
online... but even if not, can't both player select the same character?

Is her knee drop guaranteed to keep a parasite from appearing though?

Chinner

Banned
Nikorasu said:
I'm really hoping they pull a DMC4 with the PC version (legendary dark knight mode) and add some kind of 'extreme survival mode' that more than doubles the number of enemies (with more hit points) as well as throws in more random elements like the unique enemies from mercs that pop up during various encounters. Throw in another visual filter that cranks up the contrast and I'm yours for life capcom.

Basically, I want the PC version to look like this:
RE5big.jpg
i don't mind about the contrast, but i would of liked the same amount of enemies :(

Second said:

But alas...

You can earn that much in half an hour.

Majmun

Captain N said:
Do you know of any spots that the gold egg shows up more than others?

Chapter 3-1. Get to the middle island. Chickens will drop one from time to time. You'll have to be lucky though. I got my gold egg there. Or kill snakes.
You'll earn 45k in 3 mins with a golden egg, but 90k with a rotten egg.

I got a rotten egg sometime later in the game -don't know where anymore-, and used that for the glitch.

Top Bottom