• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
grap3fruitman said:
I was playing with actual people and then I tried AI equipped with a sniper. I've been trying to pass this one small, stupid section for at least an hour and I've tried everything I could think of.

I never actually played that part as Sheva, but it's up to Chris to keep stunning him so you can climb up. The AI should be doing that, but I dunno.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oldschlgmr said:
Okay, when did Wesker get this British accent? I could've sworn he didn't have an accent in RE1. Maybe even Code Veronica.
He's had that weird pseudo-English voice in every game but REmake, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :lol

Sean

Banned
Has anyone gotten an S ranking for Chapter 6-2 (Main Deck and
Uroboros
boss fight)?

I'm getting nearly 80% accuracy, 0 deaths, and a 3-4 minute time (S on all of those) but only 6 enemies routed (a C) so it gives me an A for the level. I don't get it, seems like I've killed everyone on the level. Is there some kinda hidden spot with a bunch of enemies I'm supposed to kill or something?

cynlix

Stockpile trophy: I have ALL the guns and grenades and still no trophy. Does anyone know if I have to get the infinite rocket launcher?

EDIT: nevermind....i figured out what i didnt have lol. But for further reference, no you do not need the infinite rocket launcher

Sorta OT question about onscreen colors in this game but it could be specific to RE5 so I'm going to ask anyway:

I'm playing through RE5 (love it so far) and I notice that some/most of the deep blacks in the environment (the darkness of the mines, for example) are actually a very dark navy blue, whereas blacks in other things (like the HUD elements) is actually black. I think I may have noticed this in some other games (def not all) but I can't remember specifics. Has nothing to do with the game's gamma settings as adjusting those makes no difference.

Does anyone else notice this or is it something with my setup? I think it's the game because like I said, some other elements that are not part of the 3D engine appear to truly be black.

I'm using HDMI to a 1080P Sony KDS-50A2000 from a Jasper 360. I have the output setting set to "standard" and the HDMI setting set to "auto".

Any ideas?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sean said:
Uroboros
boss fight)?

I'm getting nearly 80% accuracy, 0 deaths, and a 3-4 minute time (S on all of those) but only 6 enemies routed (a C) so it gives me an A for the level. I don't get it, seems like I've killed everyone on the level. Is there some kinda hidden spot with a bunch of enemies I'm supposed to kill or something?

The boss spawns the enemies, just make sure you kill a bunch of them.

oldschlgmr said:
Okay maybe there's some crazy back story to his new accent (new to me anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTtGxw0G4Y

still makes me laugh.

actually, there IS a crazy back story. In umbrella chronicles, the original wesker had salary negotiation problems so they brought in a new wesker. Probably talked about on rehorror or something. Look up the original wesker voice's name and google him and controversy or something.

Actually kinda sad, I remember reading that the original wesker got really into his voice, not to use contractions and stuff to give wesker a lot more character, and this new wesker doesnt give a shit about that.

Nikorasu

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Sorta OT question about onscreen colors in this game but it could be specific to RE5 so I'm going to ask anyway:

I'm playing through RE5 (love it so far) and I notice that some/most of the deep blacks in the environment (the darkness of the mines, for example) are actually a very dark navy blue, whereas blacks in other things (like the HUD elements) is actually black. I think I may have noticed this in some other games (def not all) but I can't remember specifics. Has nothing to do with the game's gamma settings as adjusting those makes no difference.

Does anyone else notice this or is it something with my setup? I think it's the game because like I said, some other elements that are not part of the 3D engine appear to truly be black.

I'm using HDMI to a 1080P Sony KDS-50A2000 from a Jasper 360. I have the output setting set to "standard" and the HDMI setting set to "auto".

Any ideas?

Yep. That's just how the game looks, no way to fix it really.

Papercuts said:
I never actually played that part as Sheva, but it's up to Chris to keep stunning him so you can climb up. The AI should be doing that, but I dunno.

OK as sheva, you need to go across the bridge first, before billy coen jumps over to you, then shoot him to make him grow another appendage and jump, shoot the pillar to block him a little and give chris AI more time to ultra combo the huge round rebecca chambers.

#2 overall in the world in the Veteran leaderboards (PS3)!!! :D :D :D

Most of the credit goes to my co-op partner, skitchmusic who came up with the plans and tricks, I just came along for the ride.

Overall time - 1:32'31"

Sean

Banned
Papercuts said:
The boss spawns the enemies, just make sure you kill a bunch of them.

You're the best, thanks :D

I had the infinite rocket launcher so I was killing it in like 2 shots before it pooped out those little critters. Didn't realize they counted as separate enemies, thought it was just part of the boss.

TheExodu5

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
#2 overall in the world in the Veteran leaderboards (PS3)!!! :D :D :D

Most of the credit goes to my co-op partner, skitchmusic who came up with the plans and tricks, I just came along for the ride.

Overall time - 1:32'31"

Damn man. I applaud you.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Replaying this on a higher difficulty with friends. I'm really not looking forward to beating
El Gigante on PRO mode.
The fight sucks as is (and we're on the level above normal. Hard I guess). I wish they would patch him out, or patch in a the ability to get out of the fucking vehicle. Maybe even lower the amount of times you have to
shoot the stupid plagas.
Damn I hate this fight.

Looked at some videos of people breaking 444k. Holy shit, those strats work like a charm.
Keeping that combo going by shooting, running forward, and breaking necks with battle suit Jill works so very well.

Once again, we got played in mercs mode. We had 2 whole minutes to go, and the stage didn't spawn anymore creatures. Didn't even cut the map off. :mad:

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
dont know if this has been posted, but here are details on the versus mode DLC

Slayers

This game plays very similarly to Mercenaries, but with players competing against each other to get the highest score from the onslaught of infected souls and B.O.W.s. A “handicap” system helps the player with the lowest score by doubling the points they are awarded (though this doesn’t apply to Combo bonuses in Slayers). Time Bonus and Combo Bonus rules apply as before, with item locations and enemy types remaining the same. Indeed, you can use all of the maps and details from the Mercenaries section to aid you in your Slayers game.

During a Slayers match, players will only take 70% of usual damage from enemies. This should be balanced against the scarcity of healing items and the additional threat of damage from other players. That threat exists because players can also be included in the chain of kills as part of a running combo count. If you defeat another player during a combo, their worth will be calculated as if they were a boss enemy with regard to bonus scoring potential (+4,000 points as a 9th kill, for example, or +5,000 as a 22nd kill).

The game ends when the timer expires. If any player dies before the counter reaches zero, they lose points and will reappear elsewhere on the map to carry on playing (randomly, you may spawn in the heat of battle or next to a boss). There is no limit to the number of times you can die, though you shouldn’t expect much of a score if it happens too often.

The Difficulty Grade reacts to the performance of the participants. Most players will be battling at Grade 6 (equivalent to Normal difficulty) but the leading player must endure Grade 10, the highest rank of Professional difficulty. This makes little difference in terms of combat resolution, as Grade has no effect on damage multipliers in Versus mode, although you will find that it does affect factors such as context-action input windows.

Survivors

Basics: This game variant is all about player-versus-player action. There are still aggressive creatures present, making the arenas more challenging, but their frequency has been reduced, although they still provide a moderate threat and distraction from the real task at hand. Combos no longer play a role, as the points you score are directly accrued from dealing damage to other players. There are no points for killing monsters. Importantly, you must also strive to avoid taking any damage yourself, as you now have a price on your own head.

Each player starts with just a basic firearm, and will therefore want to act quickly to pick up more powerful weapons from the playing field. Every map has different possible configurations of weapon and item allocation, and you can also acquire weapons from boss enemies, so use our hints to help you to quickly assess the right strategy for each instance.

During a Survivors match, the player takes only 50% damage from Majini and other creatures, and in turn inflicts 150% damage. Those enemies also have a 100% drop rate for random loot, thus serving as additional ammo and health supplies when the existing map stock has been plundered or cut off. This can include Eggs, both Rotten (which count as ammo) and health-giving.

The weapons you find in Survivors are upgraded to the same level as those found in Mercenaries mode. Together, they represent the various ranges of encounter. The shotgun is a close-quarters ambush weapon while the rifle demands distance. The magnum is for sharpshooting at medium range.

The Scoring System: In a Survivors match, you score points for successful strikes against other players. Being attacked by another player reduces your own score, to a minimum of zero. Scores are awarded as detailed below, with a 50% Damage and Score bonus for headshots.

28cecmq.jpg

After a successful attack, the score for the move will be displayed in the top right of the attacker’s screen and added to that player’s running total. Correspondingly, the victim of the strike loses 50 points for any and all attacks suffered. Whoever inflicts fatal damage on another player will earn a bonus 3,000 points. Deaths by Proximity Bomb or exploding oil drum will also be attributed for score purposes. If a player dies (for any reason, either in a monster attack or by another player’s hand) then they lose 1,000 points. It is possible to be reduced to zero points. When the timer expires, the scores for each player will determine their position in the results table.

Team Versus

It is possible to compete as a team in both Slayers and Survivors games. When two players work together as partners, they can draw on all of the additional tactics and support techniques mastered in Co-op, Duo and Split-Screen play.

Combat Differences

So far you’ve only had to dispatch computer-controlled parasites and their hosts. Now that you’re able to fight online and against other players, there are aspects of the combat system that you can exploit to great effect.

Easy Targets

Players caught in a grapple will normally try to free themselves while requesting assistance. If you encounter an enemy player in “Help” status, you can instead use a context action to strike them while they are held. This attack will damage both the enemy player and the creature restraining them, so it may still have the effect of releasing them from their captor.

Frozen Over

Players can be frozen by Nitrogen Rounds. The base freezing time is fi ve seconds, but you can tap X or A to recover more quickly. Other players will be able to attack you while you are frozen, including using hand-to-hand moves at close range, although you won’t shatter into pieces like ordinary enemies would when first hit. Nitrogen Rounds also have no effect on players of the same team, so you can comfortably use one to freeze an enemy in close proximity to your partner. You do not otherwise take damage purely from being frozen, but a direct hit from any Grenade Launcher round inflicts some kinetic damage from the impact of the projectile.

Assigning Equipment

In Slayers and Survivors games you cannot give weapons to other players – who remain your enemies, even if you may occasionally find yourself ganging together.

However in a Team Survivors match you will be able to hand over the M3, H&K PSG-1, S&W M500, Grenade Launcher and Rocket Launcher to a partner. This means that you can assign duties and swap long-range support or heavy weapons according to your co-op roles and preferences. There are fewer restrictions on distribution of ammunition and explosives. You can present any ammo type to a team member as long as they have a free slot or an existing stack of the same ammo that can accommodate the gift up to the slot maximum. When your inventories are full, you can still swap items with your partner by highlighting items that you do not have equipped. Select an item from your team member’s inventory and they will be alerted by a Request message that will offer them the chance to Give the selected item. If they are close enough for the exchange and can confirm the transaction in their inventory, the items will be swapped between you.

credit to rehorror.net forums

wRATH2x

Banned
Well just beat the game.

One of the best experiences I had with gaming,an amazing single player mode and great co-op,great game,tons of variety,but the puzzles were crappy and the game wasn't really scary,and it was kind of short.

And I hate what happened to Jill,I see her as the main character of the series and I didn't like her not having a bigger role.

Both Chris and Sheva were awesome though,Wesker kicked ass,but the ending left something to be desired.

And I heard this wasn't Mikamis vision for what should happen,so if Mikami made it would it be really different?

Can someone explain.

All in all RE4 was much better in terms of almost everything,but I love this game and I look forward to replaying it.

Sean

Banned
Handycrap101 said:
Just beat single player on Normal. I was wondering what is the best level to farm treasure on for money?

I think either 5-1 or 5-2 (where there's a hallway of
Lickers
), they each drop a treasure worth like 2,500 and there's a whole bunch of em.

I'd recommend upgrading the L Hawk Magnum all the way and purchasing the infinite ammo for it, makes second playthroughs a lot easier - pretty much all enemies die in one shot.

Tiktaalik

I got to the bizarro boss battle in late chapter 5 or early 6 (I forget) where you fight
Wesker
and
Jill
. I beat it but I'm kinda confused about it and I'm wondering if there's a better way to handle it.
Do you really just have to kill time for 7 minutes or whatever? Is there anyway to speed this up? It seems like I just ran around for a while and eventually it ended. Also after this when you're trying to rip off the mind control device off Jill is there any faster way to do it? I was almost second guessing myself because it took like 8 attempts or something to get it off. It seems like eventually you were wearing her down and eventually you could throw her to the ground for example, but it still felt like I was doing something not perfect. Capcom probably should have thrown in a bit more positive feedback here. I had no idea if what I was doing was right or not. I hate damn tappy mini games!!

eso76

Nikorasu said:

the game doesn't look that different from that, i've counted up to 10 zombie guys onscreen at one time in mercenary, not a lot less than what we're seeing here.
I believe i would get tired of such harsh lighting throughout the whole game, in fact i liked the blue skies of the very first teaser better : )
I can see the troubles it would have meant to perfect Push+melee and grappling hook mechanics, but it's strange a lot of the cinematics shown in the trailer were canned. They would have fitted the game perfectly and they were already up and running, apparently

Finished on Professional. The level 2-3 boss fight on professional was the absolute most frustrating part of the game, closely followed by the chapter 6 boss fights where 1 hit kills were the norm. My amateur time is currently at 3 hours 10 minutes. I have all the achievements except for "The Works". I'm still working out how exactly how to do that one. Something like 36 hours of total playtime. Next I want to finish up all my s-ranks in Normal.

Played mercenaries a little. Been having my combos ruined by enemy droughts. Don't think that mercenaries will be my thing. Still hoping for some single player DLC content.

EekTheKat

Just got my platinum trophy about 20 minutes ago. I was stuck on
5-3 - Jill + Wesker
for a looooooong loooong time on professional but finally found something that worked.

Going to let this all sink in a bit + maybe play more online now :lol Professional isn't all that fun to play honestly, Veteran seems just about right on co-op without it being an exercise in frustration.

Nikorasu

eso76 said:
the game doesn't look that different from that, i've counted up to 10 zombie guys onscreen at one time in mercenary, not a lot less than what we're seeing here.

I know..but I want it to look like that ALL THE TIME! </whine> ;)

Seriously though, you don't actually fight huge mobs nearly enough. I was kind of hoping for a game where actively retreating and constantly being on the run was not just wise, but required. I never really felt overwhelmed or panic-stricken at any point in the game, save perhaps the public assembly.
I love the game a lot as it is, but I do hope there is a buffed up PC exclusive difficulty.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
umm... someone here likes to help me a little with the campaign on veteran (and maybe pro later)? I've played CoOp yesterday for the first time and it was really fun but I'm probably not the best player in the world and there are some parts in the game, especially Mercs, where I could use some help.
My PSN is kamorra

...and I fucking infuriated at the last boss fight

Spent literally an hour shooting his back then his front thinking that was the way to kill him
I figured this method made the most immediate sense and my usually chatty patty partner didn't have a damn word to say about it even though she's more than happy pointing every other fucking thing out to you the entire game. But nope, didn't figure it out.

But still, I just think it was a weak ass climax and actually prefered RE4's

Anyway, my final verdict:

Of course it can't hold a candle to RE4 but it's still an amazingly compelling and fun game to just play! ....minus the end bits of course

I give it a 8 outta 10

Next time Capcom, ditch the damn QTEs or implement them right ....and get your budget and execution under control

cvxfreak

AgentOtaku said:
Also

I'm about to put in my 320gb HDD but just learned you can't transfer your save ...hooray

I'm hoping the Backup Utility lets us circumvent this.

My PS3 RE5 bundle is still in Japan, where I'm headed in two days. Ideally I'd like to use that one.

I've invested a lot of time into the PS3 console I have in the U.S., though.

EDIT: Just read that we can't do this either. Shit. :(

Zalasta

bmf said:
I have all the achievements except for "The Works". I'm still working out how exactly how to do that one.

Someone feel free to correct me on this one, but I recall getting that achievement by chaining three physical attacks. I started with a straight, then Sheva followed it up with one of her's and I ended it with an uppercut. Granted it was probably luck considering the A.I. was controlling Sheva. I assume you have to perform it on an enemy that has a lot of health and doesn't get knocked down immediately (my target was the big fat dude in chapter 2-1 near the docks).

Dot50Cal

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I'm hoping the Backup Utility lets us circumvent this.

My PS3 RE5 bundle is still in Japan, where I'm headed in two days. Ideally I'd like to use that one.

I've invested a lot of time into the PS3 console I have in the U.S., though.

EDIT: Just read that we can't do this either. Shit. :(
What? I just read you can back them up with the backup utility.

Duck Amuck said:
Got all s-ranks. Wooh.

Started on Vet and lol. The game teases you into thinking it'll be easy with ultimate weapons, and....naw. I mean, it can be. But in Vet you can die in 2 hits, so even with ultimate weapons like the L hawk and infinite Rocket Launcher I have to be on my toes, know enemy placement, and be a good shot in general to survive and maintain S and A ranks without going through my herbs like a leech. They even changed a few things like mid-bosses being able to be revived. I killed the chainsaw majini and the dude gets up and charges for me when I'm near the exit. That scared the shit out of me.

I'd say I'm about ready for Pro mode. In Professional mode, you die in 1 hit. I can only hope Chris (the ai) DOES NOT GET IN MY WAY.

Prepare to be infuriated with the AI in professional mode. They can be standing literally next to you and they will not revive you even if you're tapping B like a mentalist.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have to say that i think one of the areas that they've improved quite a bit is the enemy's dodging. when i aim at the tribesmen's feet and they do that little hop-skip to dodge my shots, that's pretty awesome, and much more than the villagers or monks in re4 would do to evade. i was surprised and really impressed when that happened the first time, and short of the graphics which are clearly more impressive, it was the first time it was abundantly clear that i was playing something that was new and improved in many ways.

plus, the design of those tribesmen is just creepy as hell and very well done. sort of reminds me of this episode of x-files set in a military camp that involves voodoo, or the one where the dude is going around draining african-american men of their skin pigment. freaky as hell!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Duck Amuck said:
2-3 is really the low point of this game. I seriously hate going through EACH TIME. So lazy, so BORING.

is this the first turret chapter? i think i used that exact word when i finished it to describe my reaction to it: lazy. say what you will about my constant fawning over him and his work, but if mikami were on this project, that would not be in this game.

Sean

Banned
I swear, they made Sheva a complete fucking idiot in Professional mode.

Every time you take damage you're immediately put into "dying" status (and you bleed out in like one second on Pro too) and of course Sheva never revives despite standing right next to you. Instead she'll look directly in your face as you're screaming and say something like "Hold on, I'm coming!" and then turn around. WTF?

bmf said:
I have all the achievements except for "The Works". I'm still working out how exactly how to do that one.
The easiest way to get it is probably to get a combo going on a fat dude. You know the big topless fat dudes that are hard to knock down. They can be seen on 2-1, 2-2 and 5-3. Probably some other chapters that I don't remember atm. Get a 3 hit combo on him with you doing the first and third hits.

Dyno

Got through chapter 5-2 and BAM! Yellow light on my PS3 and she won't turn back on. Tried a bunch of reboots and even left it over night. Now my fucking RE5 is stuck in there and I've got to endure Sony's agonizing automated 'support' line.

And to think that my launch 360 is doing fine despite me plowing around 150 hours of Fallout 3 on it.

FUCK!

So, for the Wesker fans, I read an interview with Richard Waugh, the actor who played Wesker in RE Zero, RE CODE: Veronica and RE4. He didn't come back for Umbrella Chronicles and RE5 because Capcom decided to use non-union voice actors for their games.

He actually recorded all of Wesker's lines for Umbrella Chronicles but they decided to scrap what he did and pick a non-union VA. He said he actually chuckled when he heard the guy trying to immitate his voice.

What a bummer. He pretty much nailed Wesker.

dk_

Sorry to bring this up again, but in the PS3 version the water has no reflections and looks kinda flat in the 1st water level with the boat. Later, the water is way better and now has environmental reflections.

Do you guys think that's a bug or a decision due to performance issues?

Regarding the guy infuriated with the last boss fight...
I was doing the same thing until someone joined my game and told me I had to do it differently. All you have to do is hit him in the back, wait for the whirlwind thing, hit him in the front, then run up to him and hit X to restrain, then keep tapping A to hold, Sheva or your co op partner will have to do the rest.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SketchTheArtist said:
So, for the Wesker fans, I read an interview with Richard Waugh, the actor who played Wesker in RE Zero, RE CODE: Veronica and RE4. He didn't come back for Umbrella Chronicles and RE5 because Capcom decided to use non-union voice actors for their games.

He actually recorded all of Wesker's lines for Umbrella Chronicles but they decided to scrap what he did and pick a non-union VA. He said he actually chuckled when he heard the guy trying to immitate his voice.

not to be a jerk to him or anything, but the voice acting in resident evil is pretty uniformly terrible (in a wonderful way). i don't think hanging your hat on your performance in resident evil is really a good idea as a voice actor.

beelzebozo said:
not to be a jerk to him or anything, but the voice acting in resident evil is pretty uniformly terrible (in a wonderful way). i don't think hanging your hat on your performance in resident evil is really a good idea as a voice actor.
No I disagree. The voice acting in the series since REmake has been pretty good, it's just that the writing is awful. Resident Evil 5, for example, has excellent voice overs but cliche and lame writing. Same with Resident Evil 4 with the exception of Ashley and Saddler.

dk_ said:
Sorry to bring this up again, but in the PS3 version the water has no reflections and looks kinda flat in the 1st water level with the boat. Later, the water is way better and now has environmental reflections.

Do you guys think that's a bug or a decision due to performance issues?
It's the same in the 360 version.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Sean said:
Uroboros
boss fight)?

Yeah it only counts the kills YOU get. I found that out through this thread.

SketchTheArtist said:

I always wondered about this. I like consistancy in my game worlds, regardless of how serious the story is meant to be. I really liked that Degeneration had the real voices for Leon(RE4) and Claire(C:V). It's not a big deal, but it does matter a little to me.

Finished the game yesterday, I think I'm going to be addicted to Mercs for a long time. Although I don't like how much of it is locked right away. Time to go back and find those emblems too, I can't believe I only got 4 on my first play through, I wasn't looking for them but still...

Top Bottom