• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

careksims

Neiteio said:
When
Wesker
appeared shirtless at the end I thought him and Chris were going to have a fist fight atop Metal Gear Rex.

Hahahah! I was thinking the same thing! Oh man I was really expecting a all out fist fight. I was disappointed :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I took my time and beat this game in a few days playing splitscreen with a friend. My end impressions are mixed. It seemed to take the RE4 direction even further, focusing on setpiece action moments and cinematics rather than scares. Except perhaps for the mine level, I can't recall any time I was actually freaked out. At least RE4 had the Regenerators, which were really creepy - RE5's equivalent appears to be the
Reapers
but honestly those just look silly.

The story was decent and mostly satisfying, if flimsy in places. Wesker was incredibly cool but also incredibly stupid.
That part at the end where he literally has a gun to Chris' head and absolutely not reason not to pull the trigger, yet monologues long enough for Sheva to shoot him? Stupid.

Co-op was a lot of fun, and from a gameplay perspective an awesome addition. But because the entire game is built around having a partner, it takes a lot away from the suspense and "horror". In RE4 a big part of the game was the isolation, just Leon Kennedy against seemingly all of 18th Century Spain. But in RE5, you are literally never alone.

Also, at times RE5 feels REALLY derivative. It was like I was playing The Legend of Metal Gear Evil. Some of the puzzles were straight out of Zelda games, while there are too many sequences that were inspired by MGS to even count - hell there was even
the tanker level lol

Oh, and it was nice to see the return of the
Licker
, though honestly it just made me miss real
zombies

Victrix

*beard*
Someone link me to a GOOD video of all the merchant voices in RE4 :( I can't find one on youtube, just 10000 incredibly shitty merchant parodies.

DrBo42

Finally beat the game last night. I have to go on record and say Sheva has the worst AI I have ever experienced in my 15 or so years of gaming. How can you force co-op and then completely fail to make her helpful? Constantly getting in my way, never fucking shooting a boss when she should be. The real horror element in this game is HER.

Thanks to Zalasta, AndyMoogle, and Applesauce. Got it. I think what did it was the big guy majini. All the others I'd been trying it on got knocked over at the first blow.

That's everything except for a bunch of mercenaries stuff.

I think I'm going to put it down and pick it back up in a month. I kind of wish that the game had internal subprofiles, because I want to play through again from the start, on veteran, but without all my new game+ equipment.

Reave

DrBo42 said:
Finally beat the game last night. I have to go on record and say Sheva has the worst AI I have ever experienced in my 15 or so years of gaming.
Play some Gears of War.

Chinner

Banned
I'm just wondering, what is the best route to go for public assembly in mercs? Should I gather up all the time first and then camp it out? Or should I kill and move and keeping getting more time when I need it?

Also trying to decide which character to use. I mean,
Jill S.T.A.R.S
has a awesome pistol but seriously lacks a good weapon to take out mini bosses.

Neiteio

bmf said:
Thanks to Zalasta, AndyMoogle, and Applesauce. Got it. I think what did it was the big guy majini. All the others I'd been trying it on got knocked over at the first blow.

I think I'm going to put it down and pick it back up in a month. I kind of wish that the game had internal subprofiles, because I want to play through again from the start, on veteran, but without all my new game+ equipment.
Stuff all your shit in the backup inventory and buy the basic pistol?

Also, I simply don't get all the whining about Sheva's AI. Set her to cover, give her a stun rod if you don't want her taking the one pack of ammo she takes when she's empty, put her in Attack when you want her to be smart with bosses, and use her like a far smarter, safer version of Ashley that can carry supplies and heal you or free you when you're in a bind. The only time she was frustrating was the cave section with the lamp, in which case I found it easier to simply carry the lamp myself, then set it down and kick ass when I ran into monsters.

On another note, I recall seeing an interview with the producer, Jun (or maybe it was someone else) where they said we'd see infected giraffe, elephants and lions in RE5. It was a recent interview, too. And, uh, I didn't see any giraffe, elephants or lions. Anyone know anything about this? I don't know where the interview is, but it made headlines in the weeks leading up to RE5's release.

Neiteio

Chinner said:
I'm just wondering, what is the best route to go for public assembly in mercs? Should I gather up all the time first and then camp it out? Or should I kill and move and keeping getting more time when I need it?

Also trying to decide which character to use. I mean,
Jill S.T.A.R.S
has a awesome pistol but seriously lacks a good weapon to take out mini bosses.
Safari Chris is a beast. Aside from sporting stylish zebra duds, he comes with two rockets, either of which will kill the axeman in one blow (and anything nearby). Shotty shots to the head does the axeman good as well.

Also, drop the pistol and pistol ammo at the start and stick with the shotgun, and just work your way around the lower level and then the top, picking up the time bonuses around the perimeter before taking on the throng piling up behind you.

Public Assembly is a pretty-looking level.

Neiteio said:
Stuff all your shit in the backup inventory and buy the basic pistol?
Started 1-1 on Vetran with an empty inventory, and grabbed the starter pistol, repeatedly. It wasn't until I tried on the big guy that I was able to pull it off. Maybe I had just been doing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the big guy made it easier.

DrBo42

Are you talking about the survivor AI from Dead Rising? That was indeed pretty bad. Although it never really got to a point where it diminished my enjoyment of the game. Sheva definitely made my first playthrough less fun and more frustrating than it would of been with a decent partner.

Edit: And any talk of "Oh you have to give her THIS weapon" is complete bullshit. She should be a competent with any weapon. She's there to help you and if she's failing at that (which she does more often than not) it's a major flaw in programming/design. Not to mention 99% of the co-op "puzzles" are completely pointless and tacked on. An electric generator with 2 levers right next to eachother? What the fuck is the point of that? Doors that require 2 buttons to be pressed at the same exact time? Come the fuck on. There's no reason for any of it. /rant

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
bmf said:
Started 1-1 on Vetran with an empty inventory, and grabbed the starter pistol, repeatedly. It wasn't until I tried on the big guy that I was able to pull it off. Maybe I had just been doing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the big guy made it easier.

Where were you shooting it? You have to hit it in the arm so it prompts the "hook" melee attack. An uppercut or straight will knock the enemy down or kill it, which are prompted by a leg shot and headshot, respectively.

NIN90

DrBo42 said:
Are you talking about the survivor AI from Dead Rising? That was indeed pretty bad. Although it never really got to a point where it diminished my enjoyment of the game. Sheva definitely made my first playthrough less fun and more frustrating than it would of been with a decent partner.

Edit: And any talk of "Oh you have to give her THIS weapon" is complete bullshit. She should be a competent with any weapon. She's there to help you and if she's failing at that (which she does more often than not) it's a major flaw in programming/design. Not to mention 99% of the co-op "puzzles" are completely pointless and tacked on. An electric generator with 2 levers right next to eachother? What the fuck is the point of that? Doors that require 2 buttons to be pressed at the same exact time? Come the fuck on. There's no reason for any of it. /rant

On which difficulty did you play?
She didn't die a single time by normal enemies on my normal playthrough.
Just keep her on "Defend" and change to "Attack" in boss fights.

Neiteio

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
That would have been so awesome. I was actually hoping to fight an infected crocodile of some sort, but alas it was not to be.

Come to think of it, there were a lot of missed opportunities in RE5 (what happened to having to let your eyes adjust when going from light to dark areas and vice versa?), but the game got so much right I can let it off.
The first chapter is full of these moments. Boot up 1-1, stand in the shade of any building and look out at the street; it's so glaringly bright you won't be able to see much until you step outside and let your eyes adjust. Same for dropping out of the sunlight and into a tunnel, where the darkness will be so heavy you won't know what you're looking at.

Now if you're saying they should've done this more, I agree. It's used very well in both stages of Chapter 1 and parts of Chapter 2, but then the game goes overcast/sunset/night, and the effect is lost.

As for the most beautiful level... Hard to say, but most beautiful moments would include the very beginning of 5-1 with the
flowers
, all of Chapter 1 (imo), looking out at the terraced hills during 2-2's sunset, the sprawling caves of Chapter 4, the storm at sea during the boss fight with
Irving
in 3-3, the gleaming metal of Chapter 5's capsule chamber, the sweeping searchlights at night during the boss fight with
Uroboros Aheri (Excella)
in 6-2 and the final fight with
Wesker in the volcano
in 6-3. Oh, and every inch of the savannah in 2-3 was GORGEOUS, both at sunset and dusk.

So yeah, pretty much the whole game.

DrBo42

dhelfric said:
On which difficulty did you play?
She didn't die a single time by normal enemies on my normal playthrough.
Just keep her on "Defend" and change to "Attack" in boss fights.
I was playing on Normal. Which is why my reaction is so extreme.

Hesemonni

Banned
Ok, what am I doing wrong: I have bought infinite ammo for MP5 and when I start a new chapter I turn infinite ammo mode on, but still my MP5 clicks empty after a while?

Speaking of Dead Rising, anyone else catch Isabella's name mentioned in one of the files?

I think Frank was in there too but IIRC it said "Frank E." (maybe Frank East?)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hesemonni said:
Ok, what am I doing wrong: I have bought infinite ammo for MP5 and when I start a new chapter I turn infinite ammo mode on, but still my MP5 clicks empty after a while?

Did you turn infinite ammo on in the Special Features as well as the initial settings when starting the chapter?

Neiteio

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I can't say I really noticed it to the extent you're describing. The game is full of wonderful visual effects, but I was under the impression that the transitions from light to dark would have a more significant impact on the gameplay, and to be honest, it has very little.
It affected me mostly from an atmospheric standpoint, although there was one time near some docks where I dropped into a tunnel and was ambushed by dogs before my eyes adjusted and I could see them. O_O

REV 09

Reznor said:
Play some Gears of War.
technically right...Gears 2 had much better teammate AI though, if only for the fact that your teammates would heal each other.

I've completed the first 4 acts solo and haven't had many problems with Sheva's AI. I expected more from the story though.

Pimpbaa

DrBo42 said:
I have both of them. Dom is a fucking genius compared to Sheva.

What the hell are you talking about? Dom is always running out and getting himself killed. Sheva does this much less. She is quite manageable if you leave her in cover mode and upgrade her handgun.

DrBo42

Pimpbaa said:
What the hell are you talking about? Dom is always running out and getting himself killed. Sheva does this much less. She is quite manageable if you leave her in cover mode.
For me he'd only do that in the high difficulty modes. In Normal RE5 she either dies or practically does nothing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DrBo42 said:
For me he'd only do that in the high difficulty modes. In Normal RE5 she either dies or practically does nothing.

I had absolutely no problems with her on normal, aside from not resuscitating me right away. She'd always do it eventually, though.

bmf said:

So you got the works trophy/achievement? anyone want to help me with that AND beat the chapter 2-3 boss on professional? doing that boss with the AI is easier but you still have to be perfect. those fuckers off to the side just respawn out of nowhere. i am only one S rank away from collecting all figurines.

mattso

here's how to play with ai sheva:

take away her pistol

give her a machine gun and rifle

keep her in cover mode

she will actually be decent with switching between the 2 when one is better than the other and provide support

also: the gatling gun is siccccckkkkkkk

chris looks like a manly hunk of man lugging that around

Daigoro

bmf said:
I kind of wish that the game had internal subprofiles, because I want to play through again from the start, on veteran, but without all my new game+ equipment.

just a heads up for folks wanting to play on a clean profile and not overwrite their main game. get a cheap used memory card. you can create a seperate profile on there.

not the cheapest solution, but a memory card is actually a handy dandy little item in several ways.

woodchuck

mattso said:
here's how to play with ai sheva:

take away her pistol

give her a machine gun and rifle

keep her in cover mode

she will actually be decent with switching between the 2 when one is better than the other and provide support

haha, thats actually what i did. she's really good at getting headshots with the rifle in the later chapters

on 6-2 right now, game really picked up in chapter 5 and 6

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally beat the game last night. I have to go on record and say Sheva has the worst AI I have ever experienced in my 15 or so years of gaming.
That's pretty unfair. Considering the gameplay, the AI here is required to do a lot of unique and complex actions in order to match the player. I'd say it actually does a pretty respectable job most of the time. Of course, Capcom brought this on themselves by requiring an AI partner.

Most games which use friendly AI do not really require much of the AI. Even Gears of War, which uses a partner, doesn't demand nearly as much of the partner AI. The tasks present in RE5 are complex and I'm surprised they got it to work at all, to be honest.

just a heads up for folks wanting to play on a clean profile and not overwrite their main game. get a cheap used memory card. you can create a seperate profile on there.
Unless you own a Jasper (which has memory built in). :)

Can't say Sheva has been a problem for me on normal. I'm on 6.2 and she has never died, that i remember. She's on the ball healing me to, I basically give her all the herbs and F-aid spray. I have her using the MP5 and first rifle you find. Her aim sucks, and she uses way to much ammo. Other than that I haven't run into these horrible problems others talk about. I wouldn't even attempt it solo on veteran or above though.

Daigoro

dark10x said:
Unless you own a Jasper (which has memory built in). :)

but you can still use memory cards right? or are you saying that you could create one profile on the internal memory and one on the hard drive?

BeeDog

Weee, finished the game in Professional (many thanks Dave1988 for the co-oping, and sorry if I pissed you off at parts). Some parts were infuriating, and I can't even imagine how it would've been without infinite weapons.

Now I only need "The Works" and "Take It To The Max" trophies, whoomp! Can anyone recommend a good chapter for hoarding money easily on Professional? So far, 5-1 seems pretty good with all the
Lickers, and the 6000 credits in the vault etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Daigoro said:
but you can still use memory cards right? or are you saying that you could create one profile on the internal memory and one on the hard drive?
Correct. The Jaspers have internal memory built in that functions like a memory card.

Anyone got advice for 3-3 on Pro? Archers hit me without fail when I'm on the boat and the AI is soooooo slow at healing for some reason.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
dark10x said:
That's pretty unfair. Considering the gameplay, the AI here is required to do a lot of unique and complex actions in order to match the player. I'd say it actually does a pretty respectable job most of the time. Of course, Capcom brought this on themselves by requiring an AI partner.

Most games which use friendly AI do not really require much of the AI. Even Gears of War, which uses a partner, doesn't demand nearly as much of the partner AI. The tasks present in RE5 are complex and I'm surprised they got it to work at all, to be honest.

Yeah, there were certain segments that I was dreading when playing with the AI, such as
navigating through the lasers to collect seals
, but she actually did things on her own to follow me without getting her ass BBQ'd.

mattso

Duck Amuck said:
I hate the gatling gun because it's so big and takes so much of the screen. As a Sheva player, he always gets in my way with that shit.
I like playing as sheva more too but I think the gatling gun is pretty awesome. Definitely will be used anytime I play as chris from now on.

it took me a few minutes to get used to how much space it takes on screen though

off the top of my head I know I still need bad blood, pro run, s-all chapters, <5 hours, missing some treasures, ss-mercs, the works, maxing out all guns...

so much left to do

Leonsito

I've just purchased the game and I'm about to start it, any thing I should know before ?

And a question, Can I repeat chapters individually, Gears2 style ? To pick up collectibles for the achievements.

The AI has been stupid at times. I've put down mines only for the AI to then pick them up again. The AI will pick up money whilst several infected/licker/etc are right on top of them.
Weapons can make a big difference to AI. Give it a Shotgun and they seem to wait far too long to fire, but a long ranged weapon or a magnum and the AI seems more pro-active. But it's still hit and miss.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Baloonatic said:
Anyone got advice for 3-3 on Pro? Archers hit me without fail when I'm on the boat and the AI is soooooo slow at healing for some reason.

I died pretty much instantly once the chapter started a few times. :lol

The best bet seems to be a machine gun with infinite ammo, if you don't let up you'll usually hit the arrows out of the way.

mattso said:
I like playing as sheva more too but I think the gatling gun is pretty awesome. Definitely will be used anytime I play as chris from now on.

it took me a few minutes to get used to how much space it takes on screen though

off the top of my head I know I still need bad blood, pro run, s-all chapters, <5 hours, missing some treasures, ss-mercs, the works, maxing out all guns...

so much left to do

It's funny as hell, but holy crap the accuracy is SO bad...I think I have a 12% accuracy with it. When I'm Chris I mainly just use the handcannon and the hydra(because only he and wesker have that badass one handed shot animation) while I just stick to the longbow with Sheva.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Duck Amuck said:
I hate the gatling gun because it's so big and takes so much of the screen. As a Sheva player, he always gets in my way with that shit.

Yes! How can anyone want to play as Chris I'll never know. He's a freaking big dude for fuck's sake. I only use Tribal Sheva and I could stare at that sweet ass all day long, when she's pushing something. Sheva > Chris. She's sexy, has sexy moves, a sexy voice, and better costumes. What does Chris have better?

Nothing. High fives all around for fellow Sheva users.

mattso

TheCardPlayer said:
Yes! How can anyone want to play as Chris I'll never know. He's a freaking big dude for fuck's sake. I only use Tribal Sheva and I could stare at that sweet ass all day long, when she's pushing something. Sheva > Chris. She's sexy, has sexy moves, a sexy voice, and better costumes. What does Chris have better?

Nothing. High fives all around for fellow Sheva users.
well I just unlocked the gatling gun last night so i'm enjoying playing with my new toy. I'm sure I'll still mostly be sheva but it is fun.

holy fuck does it tear up reapers.:D

dark10x said:

Yeah, she's even better than some of the random humans I played, yeah he didn't even use melee attacks I was "WTF!" and he even leave in the middle of the chapter, I was surprised in the section with the sun lasers, she got the timing pretty right to avoid them and to cover. I though she would die a lot and she only got hit once.

A.I it's as bad as any other game, but because of RE5 gameplay nature the limits of action of any A.I are more present.

I'm on the second
Uroboro creature boss
,we run out of ammo when we saw how to kill it. :lol

DrBo42 said:

This is one of those times a legitimate point is utterly ruined by ridiculous exaggeration. Worst since SNES/Genesis era? Uh huh.

Top Bottom