• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Which of the Merc stages is the more fun? Until now Public Assembly is the best for me, but how about the others?

Magnus

So I'm on 4-3....is it terrible that I've only ever found one BSAA emblem so far? :lol

Also, I'm not sure if it's been posted before, but I loved this ad when I saw it a few minutes ago:

re5_jill.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
fernoca said:
Yeah it's quite nice, though after playing the game..it doesn't make sense since Chris got that costume and weapons/equipment when he arrived to Africa. (no spoiler tags since this is not a spoiler) .. :p
That's what you find odd? You don't find it strange that he's all decked out and ready for combat when going to a cemetery to pay his respects?

Teknoman

Everyone has to read the Wesker file.

Also, no wonder there weren't many that many files strewn around the RE5 areas, the ones in the menu library are pretty detailed.

Also
EXTREME ROCK PUNCHING
:lol

Teknoman said:
Also
EXTREME ROCK PUNCHING
:lol
You laugh, but that was one of the few QTEs in gaming where I'm actually glad it exists. Vaguely reminiscent of the "Snake crawl", but with the twist that your co-op partner's life is at stake.

Teknoman

The only one I felt something with was
the QTE where you're fighting inside the bomber, and have to grab Sheva before she falls
along with the flashbacks. Though Volcynika did let
my neck get snapped with just a flick of Wesker's wrist

That being said...I actually like all QTEs when done right.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
The only one I felt something with was
the QTE where you're fighting inside the bomber, and have to grab Sheva before she falls
along with the flashbacks. Though Volcynika did let
my neck get snapped with just a flick of Wesker's wrist

That being said...I actually like all QTEs when done right.

But it was funny, huh!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, and is it impossible to kill the final boss the "right" way on Pro?

I shot him in the chest and grabbed him like normal, and while Sheva was stabbing the fuck out of him...I noticed the stuff all over Chris was actually hurting him pretty badly. It lead to me dying while she was still stabbing, and then wesker does an (awesome) spinning drill move on sheva. I never actually paid attention to whether or not you lose health when you're holding him in other difficulties, but I died even though I grabbed him with full health.

So basically I just shot his chest with a rocket instead.

Teknoman

Volcynika said:
But it was funny, huh!
:lol I still say they choose the wrong sound for that. It was like a bag of chips.

EDIT: Main menu music when in library or other submenus is awesome. Guess it counts as this RE's save room music.

USD

Papercuts said:
Oh, and is it impossible to kill the final boss the "right" way on Pro?

I shot him in the chest and grabbed him like normal, and while Sheva was stabbing the fuck out of him...I noticed the stuff all over Chris was actually hurting him pretty badly. It lead to me dying while she was still stabbing, and then wesker does an (awesome) spinning drill move on sheva. I never actually paid attention to whether or not you lose health when you're holding him in other difficulties, but I died even though I grabbed him with full health.

So basically I just shot his chest with a rocket instead.
Maybe if you have a melee vest on?

Started out hating the game, but ended up really liking it.

The only thing that really bothered me was the lack hints during boss battles. There was absolutely no indication that what I was doing was right/wrong. For example, for the last boss,
I just kept shooting the weak spot on his back, then the one on his chest.
Like, four or five times. By the fifth time, I had no idea if I was doing something wrong; the boss didn't seem physically weaker or anything. But then again, I may have been doing the entire thing incorrectly, for all I know.

Same with the chapter 6-3 boss
Wesker outside the jet. During the fight, all I'm thinking is, do I have to turn off the lights, inject the serum (ala Vamp), then rocket him? Or rocket him, then inject the serum? Or are the lights even important? Is this gun even hurting him?

Still a great game, though. The cutscenes were fantastic, though the game was sorely lacking in memorable characters (like Salazar, Krauser, or the Big Cheese from RE4) and situations (RE4 knife fight!).

New Game carries over all my previous items and weapons, correct? If so, I guess I'll attempt the "upgrade all weapons" Achievement.

TheExodu5

Banned
I found that the bosses usually reacted when you shot them in their weak point. The last boss was the only one where I did have a bit of trouble telling, but that's just because I kept missing the weak point.

plastik

TChirath said:
Sorry I'm new to this online on PS3 thing, but.. what do I do to join a friend's game when he's already playing?

He sends you an invite > open up your XMB > go to friends list highlight his name and press triangle and select accept invite. Nice!

Can I force Sheva to use particular weapon? Only option in real-time inventory is "request". I gave her Stun Rod and Rifle. She rarely uses her rifle. Instead, she stands totally useless most of time with stun rod equipped.

EekTheKat

IIRC,

If Sheva's on Cover, she'll default to the baton. On Attack I think she'll use the rifle. Most people that are paranoid about Sheva using up all the precious ammo tend to just give her that baton and call it a day.

The optimal combo does seem to be sniper rifle/machine gun however. Sheva's a beast with rifles in general. The
Bow
seems to have some odd priority to it though, I've seen her choose to use that over a MG sometimes.

Hesemonni

Banned
USD said:
I wish people knew how to kill Reapers. If I'm not playing a high-power character, I have to blow a lot of my ammo on them, while my teammate, even if they have a high-power weapon, will either not use it, or, in a futile attempt to kill the bug, waste it all on the carapace.
What's the right way to kill them? I begin by shooting their higher legs off and then start shooting at the appearing white bulbs while keeping my distance.

BeeDog

Has anyone tried playing in Pro mode without infinite weapons? I dread that thought. Me and Dave1988 only used infinite ammo weapons; some encounters would probably be impossible without it.

EekTheKat

I just had my first mercenaries game where we killed every single thing alive in the mines. According to my screen I had 106 kills, I'm guessing my partner (who didn't have a mic) had the other 44 or so.

We only scored 85k though :lol Couldn't keep a good combo going if our lives depended on it. I was
STARS Wesker
while my partner was playing BSAA Sheva.

The guy I was paired with had 2 full stacks of machine gun ammo towards the end :lol While I was struggling to keep going with what I had. What I did notice though it helps a *lot* to pick a character that's somewhat complimentary to one another in terms of loadout, as during the whole thing I kept getting nothing but rifle ammo.

The troubling thing is I think my partner playing BSAA Sheva didn't even use the rifle all that much. So we had tons and tons of unused rifle ammo all over the place.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hesemonni said:
What's the right way to kill them? I begin by shooting their higher legs off and then start shooting at the appearing white bulbs while keeping my distance.

If you're patient [with balls of steel] and have steady aim, you can see the white bulbous part on its abdominal area open up for 2-3 seconds as it walks up to you. One good shot from a Magnum or the Hydra is usually enough to take a Reaper down this way. Get ready to turn tail and GTFO if you miss though! :lol

Alternatively, plant 1-3 Proximity Mines and lead it over them.

Due to swapping out my 40gb HDD for a 320gb

Anyhoo, I'm under the idea that Veteran and Professional difficulty are pretty much outta the question without a fresh Newgame+ with upgraded weapons?
If so, then I have to go through RE5 again to get all the shit I lost

...*sigh*

Sean

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Can I force Sheva to use particular weapon? Only option in real-time inventory is "request". I gave her Stun Rod and Rifle. She rarely uses her rifle. Instead, she stands totally useless most of time with stun rod equipped.

Just take away her stun rod, I found that she is absolutely useless when it comes to close quarter combat (especially dogs) but she's pretty good with the rifle.

I gave Sheva a maxed out rifle with infinite ammo and then loaded her with first aid sprays so that she can't pick anything else up.

GOD DAMN IT. Sheva is DUMBEST MOTERFUCKING BITCH AI ever.

I'm in 3-2 trying to kill
chainsaw majini
with proximity mines. That bitch keeps walking near mines. I'd to save her instead of dealing with majini. I'd to retry three times. Guess I'll just quit for today. Fucking stupid AI.

Sean said:
Just take away her stun rod, I found that she is absolutely useless when it comes to close quarter combat (especially dogs) but she's pretty good with the rifle.

I gave Sheva a maxed out rifle with infinite ammo and then loaded her with first aid sprays so that she can't pick anything else up.

I read somewhere in this thread that she is also good with stun rod so I gave her both. Seems she loses her ability to use other weapons if stun rod is available.

Which rifle is best for her?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eso76 said:
what ? where is this from ???
wii version ?
lol, if only a Wii could look half as good as that.

That's the RE5 Home space.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AgentOtaku said:

Anyhoo, I'm under the idea that Veteran and Professional difficulty are pretty much outta the question without a fresh Newgame+ with upgraded weapons?

...*sigh*
Veteran is very much doable, just not easy. Pro mode, not so much.

Just get a friend with maxed out weapons and infinite ammo to run through the game with you on Vet. It'll probably still be a lot of fun, and it won't take [relatively] too long (4-6 hours maybe?).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AgentOtaku said:

...*sigh*

I cleared Veteran without having played through easy/normal. It's not at all hard.

_tetsuo_ said:
I love this game. A lot.
Yes. It's like a drug.

Also just started messing around with Mercenaries. Having avoided it in RE4 due to maximum frustration I'm really trying to give it a fair shot this time. Already getting 20k on the first level (Yeah I suck). Can't wait to try it with another body.

Sean

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
I read somewhere in this thread that she is also good with stun rod so I gave her both. Seems she loses her ability to use other weapons if stun rod is available.

Which rifle is best for her?

Yeah I've found that Sheva AI sometimes has problems deciding which weapon to use. I've noticed her switching between a shotgun and rifle over and over again for a bit..

I gave her the Dragunov SVD rifle - when fully upgraded it takes out most enemies in one shot. I've not really tried the other rifles though.

Hesemonni

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
I'm in 3-2 trying to kill
chainsaw majini
with proximity mines. That bitch keeps walking near mines. I'd to save her instead of dealing with majini. I'd to retry three times. Guess I'll just quit for today. Fucking stupid AI.
Rifle headshot + punch -> rinse and repeat?

I think I've used proximity mines a grand total of two times when killing a certain bat related boss. Other than that I haven't touched those. I gotta try them against reapers as Kyouji suggested.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hesemonni said:
I gotta try them against reapers as Kyouji suggested.

It might not be the quickest and most effective way, but at least you don't risk your whole round (and your partner's ire) as opposed to the ballsy way. Once you get good at it though, playing chicken with the Reaper is definitely worth doing just so you can go back to focusing on your combo.

Man, being beholden to two people's schedule's sucks. Me and the dude I'm playing through with just finished Chapter 3 tonight. Glancing at this thread makes it seem like people beat the game thrice over before I even opened my copy.

Whatever, it's worth it. Resident Evil has *always* been a multiplayer experience for me, used to watch roommates and friends play it and go back and forth. It was always that kind of game. Arguing over the stupid puzzles and jumping over the quick scares and laughing at the utter cheese. That they actually made it co-op is just beyond perfect really.

RyuHayate

I swear to God, if my copy doesn't ship today... argh!

Sorry. It seems like everyone here is having a lot of run with it here and I'm missing out.

Acidote

Sinatar said:
I cleared Veteran without having played through easy/normal. It's not at all hard.

So I did!

I also played my first Mercenaries game in the series, and I'm so bad at it, only hit aout 50k the first time, and now I have to get to it since my highest score is something crappy like 90k

Regarding achievements, I'm 45/50

War Hero, They Belong in a Museum, They're ACTION Figures!, Lead Aspirin, Who Do You Trust?

Those are my achievements left.

Top Bottom