• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Neiteio

Kard8p3 said:
Anyone playing on PS3 have problems keeping a game of mercs going online? Every time I get into a game it always has some kind of an error before the game ends.
I've played like 20 rounds of Mercs online on PS3, and I haven't had this problem. Maybe it's your Internet connection?

Neiteio

USD said:
*sigh*

I really should just stick to solo Mercenaries. I don't even like the idea of handing out free A/S/SS ranks to players that can't even maintain a 5 combo by themselves.
You can carry a game well enough to get SS in Duo where it takes twice as many points to get said grade? And with somebody to babysit at the same time?

Damn.

Couple questions, I beat the game on normal. And I have the option when I start a game to allow use of infinite ammo weapons, do I still need to do something else in order to get a weapon with unlimited ammo?

Do I have to start all over again on Hard to get the trophy/achievement or can I use my same file and start with all my weapons and whatnot?

Kard8p3

Neiteio said:
I've played like 20 rounds of Mercs online on PS3, and I haven't had this problem. Maybe it's your Internet connection?

All my online PS3 games have had this problem but ds and wii online games never have any problems.

Christopher

Did anyone think the end scene where Chris
saves Sheva would have had more impact had Jill actually died...or have had Sheva died and Jill in that moment
?

Christopher said:
saves Sheva would have had more impact had Jill actually died...or have had Sheva died and Jill in that moment
?

Yes, but it's resident evil. I wasn't expecting the story to have any "impact".

USD

Neiteio said:
You can carry a game well enough to get SS in Duo where it takes twice as many points to get said grade? And with somebody to babysit at the same time?

Damn.
And I'm not that amazing of a player, even discounting all the crazy JP players, there are still plenty of other people out there better than me. I just haven't met them online yet.

The key to Mercs is that the combo takes priority over everything, something the average player has yet to grasp.

Pimpbaa

Christopher said:
?

The game would have sucked if that happened. I would never want to play it again.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Kard8p3 said:
All my online PS3 games have had this problem but ds and wii online games never have any problems.
What's your NAT Type rating? You can check it in Network Settings. 2 for is router, 1 is for direct connection, 3 is bad.

EekTheKat

Okay just finished unlocking everything in Mercenaries. I can't think of another game where I spent so much time trying to get as much as possible :lol

I don't think I have the ability to do more than that though, I did manage a 35 combo with someone online but I choked + died before it finished :lol Maybe some more practice will help get me over the hump.

S.T.A.R.S
Wesker
is borderline ridiculous, but fun.

Majmun

The more I play this game, the more I like it.
The replayability is really great.

I don't miss the X360's egg glitch anymore. I'm playing/grinding to earn money now. And I enjoy it, too!

USD

And one of the main problems with Mercenaries is that people can't even survive. Even I have trouble on some stages, like Experimental Facility (stun rods + grenades + rocket launchers + Lickers = utter destruction). But I can still stay alive, find health items when needed and heal myself between kills, keeping the combo going.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Christopher said:
?
I don't think that was needed, as I think it was trying to reinforce the partner theme. I thought that scene was incredible though, in all honesty.
I actually thought Sheva would die. When the QTE showed up I was like OMG!!! and I didn't save her the first time. :p

Neiteio

USD said:
And one of the main problems with Mercenaries is that people can't even survive. Even I have trouble on some stages, like Experimental Facility (stun rods + grenades + rocket launchers + Lickers = utter destructions). But I can still stay alive, find health items when needed and heal myself between kills, keeping the combo going.
Once I memorize the maps and get down where enemies respawn (there's generally a couple areas, sometimes several) and once I get get enough time extensions and have a good-sized throng of baddies following me, it's easy enough to get a 20-30+ combo running. It helps to count to 10 in my head after each kill so I'll know when the combo's almost up and I need to kill again. Keeping a power weapon like the shotgun ready for one- or two-hit kills, as well as some flash grenades for cephalos and dulvians, is key to stringing kills together, as is the stagger-step and fakeout.

Sometimes you just wanna be ballsy, though. I don't know about you but I'll often risk copious amounts of health to fight in the middle of Experimental Facility's
Licker horde
. :D

TChirath

Neo Member
Just played online for the first time earlier on professional from 1-1 to 2-3. It was a lot of fun. The only problem we had was that I don't have a mic so we kept dying on 2-3 and the other guy quitted on me (out of frustration I guess). After he quitted I was able to beat it by myself.

Already ordered bluetooth headset from Amazon, but for now if anyone doesn't mind too much playing with someone without a mic, feel free to add me (PSN TChirath). I'm a patient player and I got most of the weapons unlocked with infinite ammo including rocket launcher.

KevinCow

Banned
USD said:
I've found the most annoying thing about playing with randoms in Mercs is that they don't realize that the combo takes priority over everything. This includes healing, picking up items, exchanging items, helping, and (especially) running away. Countless number of times I've seen randoms run away from enemies (and just the standard grunts no less), even as the combo is just about to blink out of existence. And for the love of all that is good, don't fucking help me, keep the combo going.
USD said:
I cry every time I see my teammate running away from foes just as the combo is going to blink out of existence. *sigh*
USD said:
I wish people knew how to kill Reapers. If I'm not playing a high-power character, I have to blow a lot of my ammo on them, while my teammate, even if they have a high-power weapon, will either not use it, or, in a futile attempt to kill the bug, waste it all on the carapace.
USD said:
*sigh*

I really should just stick to solo Mercenaries. I don't even like the idea of handing out free A/S/SS ranks to players that can't even maintain a 5 combo by themselves.

You sound like a fun person to play games with.

Neiteio

Oh, and on the topic of
Jill Valentine's
significance to the story... I don't think she was poorly used at all, because in a sense SHE saved the world by saving Chris... And consequently, Chris' failure to save the friend who saved him at Spencer Mansion -- and the fact he later saves her when she needs it most -- makes him believe he can still make a difference in the world, that "it's all worth fighting for." When he later saves
Sheva
, it's important because it shows a) the strength of their partnership and b) that he's now as selfless a hero as
Jill
. That's the way it felt to me, anyway, and as such I was satisfied.

Fantastical said:
I don't think that was needed, as I think it was trying to reinforce the partner theme. I thought that scene was incredible though, in all honesty.
I actually thought Sheva would die. When the QTE showed up I was like OMG!!! and I didn't save her the first time. :p

I was playing Sheva in that scene (I played the whole game as Sheva),
the same thing happened to my friend though, we were watching the cutscene talking to each other over the mic about how it sucked that Sheva was going to die and then "Chris" popped up on screen (as it does when he has to press a button) and I started shouting to him "Save me! Save me, you have to press a button" - on the other end of the mic all I could hear was fumbling as I flew out of the plane to my death. He had put the controller down and was resting his hands behind his head apparently :lol

neoism

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Does the game count the time you spend in the buy/organize menu in your overall playtime?
I don't think so, which is something I hate. Most people don't want to know playtime in a particular game, but I love knowing and hate when it doesn't keep track of it right, I know your not really "playing" the game in the menus but your still playing the game!

Well I beat it. Enjoyable game that I plan to beat a few more times but not without its issues.

I never thought I would say this (especially after being a defense force for the game in the demo threads) but I'm going to side with those who find the controls to be a hindrance. A lot of my defense was based on assuming Resident Evil would still legitmately retain the characteristics to be called an adventure game even with the move into action RE4 took.

This however is no adventure game. It's a straight action game and while there is nothing wrong with that it does have a different level of expectations and with that in mind if tension and running around and doing adventure type stuff isn't going to be a part of the equation then they are a legitimate gripe. Yes you can get use to it. Yes I enjoyed the game and the action a good deal. But I simply found myself comparing it to the controls of something like Gears of War 2 and feeling it comes up short. Especially in the areas of the game that directly mimic a stop and cover situation. Even at the end I still would occasionally feel uncomfortable doing something and that's just a problem in an action game even one I enjoyed a great deal. I hate to say it because it sounds like a GAF thing to say but I think some japanese action games are still catching up to the controls of the top of the line western third person or first person shooters.

As far as the actual game it's a very fun rollercoaster ride. The story is absurd and honestly I mainly tuned out during the cutscenes but the action is extremely compelling and fun. There is a large variety of creatures which really makes the combat damn enjoyable. I couldn't wait to turn corners and get into the next situation where I could get into combat with a group of bad guys. I loved the zombie soldiers and the armor they wore and the variety of weapons they carried. Really fun stuff.

At this point I almost wish they would split the series off. I miss a version of Resident Evil that is actually an adventure game. And while I didn't necessarily find myself wishing this version was an adventure game I do like the idea of a Resident Evil adventure game exisiting somewhere. As it stands round now Dead Space is the best current gen survivial horror game because this game is more like a Gears of War action competititor than a survival horror game.

I enjoyed having an AI buddy. It somehow made the game feel less lonely if that makes any sense. Sheva AI varies wildy. For the most part I found her to be very good. In fact she killed most of the bosses for me to be honest and there is something just satisfying when she saves your ass by sniping someone. There are also moments of incredible frustation where in a couple of boss battles her actions are just painful and annoying or she goes where she is not supposed to go and gets herself killed by a few creatures. They could have used some more commands so I could have been more explicit with what I wanted her to do and better programming on her AI to handle some of the one hit kill creatures or situations. Overall I enjoyed her but there were definitely a few sore sports.

I like the 4 first chapters more than the last 2 not that I didn't enjoy the last two. But I enjoyed wandering Africa and that anything can happen feeling like the truck chase where you have to shoot the zombies on the motorcycles more than the closed off feeling of the last two levels.

Lots of replayability as expected not only for bonus stuff and modes but simply for the sheer joy of it. Still haven't played with another person so there is that to look forward to also. I guess my biggest surprise and the thing I take away not to keep harping on it but how much it truly is an action game now. In past resident evils you use to dread turning corners because that is what the game was trying to build up but now the feeling is more akin to eagerness to turn corners because you know the combat will begin. It's hard for me to even compare it to RE4 and say which I liked more because even though they share so much they really feel like they belong in different genres now. RE 6 will be fascinating because I know that will be a big reboot for the franchise and I'm not sure which direction they will go. More action or More survival horror. I kind of scoffed at Y2kev earlier when he suggested it would become a straight action game having not yet played through this yet but it's not that inconceivable considering this one was pretty much a straight up action game.

Anyway enough rambling. I'll probably be checking to see in anyone wants to play co-op in a couple of days.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Do the vests (bullet and melee) take a slot each or do they take up only one? I'm not wasting slots (or money) on two stinking vests if that's the case.

If anyone with a PS3 copy would be kind enough to help me through the final section before the final boss, I would much appreciate it.

DUMB AI IS DUMB WTF

USD said:
*sigh*

It's true. randoms online in mercs pretty much only seem to want to get A ranks, and can never keep a combo going.

You can pretty much get an S or SS rank by just getting a 50 combo which isnt even all that much.

Sidzed2

Now don't mistake me, I really like Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5 - this is just an observation.

I think Dead Space is more of a Resident Evil game than either of the above titles, 5 in particular.

Resident Evil is, among many other things, about survival in a hostile place. The place is usually an island, or a city, or a mansion, in other words, an isolated place.

Dead Space succeeded at that feeling claustrophobia and dread, and managed to feel tense and terrifying even though you could shoot and walk at the same time.

I think the theory that the 'controls make Resident Evil what it is' is incorrect and misguided. Resident Evil is about evoking an atmosphere and a mood.

It's the 'intangible' factors which Dead Space has that RE5 is especially missing. The dread, the sense of being alone, hunted, etc.

I really, really love the action game that Resident Evil has become (it's amazingly fun and extravagant), but I think for the classic "Resident Evil" feel, Dead Space is the horse to back.

It's not so much help that I need, but someone who can help me take on the final section before
Wesker
where you need to kill those two
Reapers
and the two
Minigun Majini.

AI keeps dying and I kind of want to beat this game tonight.

Edit: Were you playing on Veteran?

Christopher said:
I beat the game on solo with no problem are you sure it's the AI who sucks?

Me too, I wouldn't defend the AI with my life or anything but I didn't experience half the problems others are reporting. Aside from making retarded weapon equipping choices and being slow sometimes, Sheva generally behaved fine for me during my playthrough.

Christopher said:
I beat the game on solo with no problem are you sure it's the AI who sucks?

Dude don't.

She definitely does stupid things at time and if you beat the game and she didn't that's good for you but that doesn't mean it happens for everybody or every play style.

Risette

A Good Citizen
AnonymousNoob said:
It's not so much help that I need, but someone who can help me take on the final section before
Wesker
Reapers
and the two
Minigun Majini.

Edit: Were you playing on Veteran?
Are you using the turret?

AnonymousNoob said:
Wesker
Reapers
and the two
Minigun Majini.

The easiest way to handle situations like that if you're having problems is to put her in cover mode so she stays with you. Load up her with healing sprays. And just buy lots of ammo for your grenade launchers. In that manner she basically just acts as a healer and you can fight from range.

Davey Cakes

I finished my first run of the game tonight. And WOW at the ending. The entire last chapter is pretty epic, never mind the final sequences. But then, it just...ends. Typical RE ending, though it's a little unexpected considering that the game, in many ways, tries to break away from the typical RE formula.

So yeah, I can see why some said RE5's final boss and ending are no better than RE4's. It's mostly because neither of the games strives for a lot of details in their ending. Just a couple of lines from the main character, and boom, done. Nothing more to be said. I think RE4 gets extra points because of its credits sequence and mini-dialogue with Hunnigan at the end.

mattso

looks like I have all the treasures except the one during the last boss fight.

debating whether or not to blast through it now with infinite ammo or just wait til the next time I'm at that point.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
AnonymousNoob said:
Seriously, RE5's AI can die in a fire.

Please, someone let me have some closure.

-_-

I could come help you if you're on the PS3 version. I definitely had issues with the partner AI during that section.

Thing is, it's not the
Minigun Majini
that are giving me trouble, it's the ffffing
Reapers
as she does literally nothing to kill them and if I put her on Attack, she'll randomly die in some corner from a one hit kill.

Edit:
Kyouji, that would be much appreciated, actually. PSN tag is the same as my GAF.

Finally cleared it solo/normal with a time of 9:43. Quite a bit less than my first play through of RE4.

Great game though, really enjoyed it throughout. Ended with 480 achievement pts, just barely got the "who do you trust" on the last boss fight. Good classic RE storyline after RE4 being a sort of stand alone in the series.

Can't wait to start a veteran play through co-op this weekend!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I was going to wait a bit for a price drop before buying RE5, but last night a friend brought over his HDD and the game and the rest of us played Mercenaries - I was the only one out of the group that never played it, and hot damn did I have fun with it!

He had only beaten the first two levels, and I went and unlocked the rest, couldn't beat the last level though, and left it at that since it was late as hell - long story short, I loved the idea behind the mode, and me and one of the other guys just ordered RE5 off Play.com for €45...

Damnit, I really have too many games to play right now as is, but I had already loved the co-op in the demo, and most definitely will have a blast playing Mercenaries in co-op!

if anyone needs some general tips to getting high scores in mercs, theres two basic strategies you can get used to that will work.

1. Go around shooting everyone in the kneecaps, run behind them and insta-melee kill them. If using
jill
, shoot em in the foot and insta-melee ground pound kill them.

2.go to a level like public assembly or village, go to the middle of the level. This is a good way to keep enemies coming at you. Slowly, methodically keep a combo going. Find a way you are comfortable with to guarantee a majini kill, one easy peasy way is grab
stars wesker
and use his hydra. Get rid of all weapons that you plan not to use. So, for
stars wesker
for example, get rid of his handgun, run around shottying majini in the face, but only when the combo counter starts blinking, and save his magnum for the executioner.

Don't forget to get all time bonuses you can for highest possible score.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Second said:
The more I play this game, the more I like it.
The replayability is really great.

I don't miss the X360's egg glitch anymore. I'm playing/grinding to earn money now. And I enjoy it, too!

Did they patch it or something? I haven't been on LIVE since Mon. night. I have over 300k gold with the glitch and all weapons upgrade etc. so it doesn't really matter to me anymore.

zombieshavebrains said:
Did they patch it or something? I haven't been on LIVE since Mon. night. I have over 300k gold with the glitch and all weapons upgrade etc. so it doesn't really matter to me anymore.

dunno if it was patched, but the ps3 cant do two profiles at once so its online only and takes longer. I prefer not having the option to do it anyway.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Public Assembly on Mercs is madness. I finally killed all 150 enemies with around 30 seconds left, which gave me 180K overall which is an easy SS...but I'm still only rank 2000ish. The top score is in the 700K range, how the hell? :lol

I also beat the game on Pro now, I did chapter 5-2 to the end with the AI and didn't have too many troubles aside from the obvious boss fight on 5-3.

For specific mercenaries character strategies, you can try these but they arent necessarily the best way to use the character.

chris
: get rid of pistol+ammo, shotty everyone in the face, grenade minibosses

safari chris
: get rid of pistol, shotty everyone in the face. Use rocket launchers on first two minibosses, then shotty/melee the last one or use any found grenades.

stars chris
:go around shooting majini in the knees and melee kill them with your ak. save magnum and grenade launchers for bosses, but youll likely have to use some of their ammo on majini too if you arent being conservative and melee killing since ammo wil be split between three guns , although magnum ammo is rarer.

sheva
: probably get rid of the pistol since youll want to get rifle and machinegun ammo more often. just hit majini almost anywhere with the rifle, im pretty sure every sniper rifle will one shot regular majini. be conservative with the mg if you can, but one basic mg strategy is to unload the clip on a majini when your combo is gonna run out

clubbin sheva
: I havent played much with this character, but I'd probably get rid of the mg after using its ammo and just use the shotty. the mg clip is way too small in my opinion, so you'd probably prefer to get shotty and nade ammo. Use the grenade launcher when you need a lot of crowd control or for bosses.

tribal sheva
: first of all, get used to the bow. It one shots all majini unless they go parasite, then youll need two shots more to kill the parasite which is not long at all. Very easy to add to combos with that bow. Dont forget you have grenades, use them sparingly since youll almost always have more than enough space in your inventory. The nade launcher is nice since it comes with ice rounds, especially on the ship level. When facing a chainsaw guy, you can stand tall usually, because just about two shots will stun him with the bow. two shots will end his berserk form too, so aim well and he'll be no problem. You can also stun the chainsaw guys with the ice rounds but they wont freeze him obviously. executioners are tough to face in the prison in my experience, because once you get good with the bow, you tend to think youll always stun an enemy with it, if not kill it completely. yet, the executioners can usually get that axe down on you and you never know why.

bsaa jill
: ground attacks are great, youll easily get great scores just running around ground meleeing enemies. I wouldnt be surprised if leaderboards get reset and this move gets significantly reduced damage. the pistol gets headshots very easily, so it is hard to recommend you throw it away for more mg ammo. you get 5 flash grenades too, so this is a great character to use when you're gonna face parasites or the shell guys. (it might have sounded obvious but ive seen a lot of people not use flash grenades in those situations.

battle suit jill
: much better than the other version, you get a rifle instead of a pistol but no flash grenades. the rifle is a great way to keep a combo going, and dont forget to use the ground attack whenever possible.

midnight wesker
: pistol and handcannon and proximity mines, oh so fun. great to use in the mines level for dealing with reapers, although spending the time to put the proximity mines down will possibly end a combo for you. save the magnum ammo for bosses, probably only use this character if you are great with a pistol. if you're in a tough bind or you see a long line of enemies in a row, like the ancient ruins, press in on the right stick and you can dash through all the enemies. Watch out though because this takes away some health as a result.

stars wesker
: pistol, magnum, and shotty, but no additional perks. You can either get rid of the pistol to get a better selection of ammo, or save the pistol since it will stun all enemies except maybe the reapers. very good character for using to get used to all the levels since its nice to choose what ammo you want to come from random drops. you also have the dash too so keep that in mind.

I would really appreciate any criticisms or additions to what I wrote here, these are just the basic things that come to my mind and my strategies are surely FAR from the most efficient way to use the characters.

USD

Papercuts said:
Public Assembly on Mercs is madness. I finally killed all 150 enemies with around 30 seconds left, which gave me 180K overall which is an easy SS...but I'm still only rank 2000ish. The top score is in the 700K range, how the hell? :lol

I also beat the game on Pro now, I did chapter 5-2 to the end with the AI and didn't have too many troubles aside from the obvious boss fight on 5-3.
Lots and lots of melee kills.

Ice Monkey said:
if anyone needs some general tips to getting high scores in mercs, theres two basic

strategies you can get used to that will work.

1. Go around shooting everyone in the kneecaps, run behind them and insta-melee kill

them. If using
jill
, shoot em in the foot and insta-melee ground

pound kill them.

2.go to a level like public assembly or village, go to the middle of the level. This is

a good way to keep enemies coming at you. Slowly, methodically keep a combo going. Find

a way you are comfortable with to guarantee a majini kill, one easy peasy way is grab

stars wesker
and use his hydra. Get rid of all weapons that you plan

not to use. So, for
stars wesker
for example, get rid of his handgun,

run around shottying majini in the face, but only when the combo counter starts

blinking, and save his magnum for the executioner.

Don't forget to get all time bonuses you can for highest possible score.

Yeah it's really not that bad. A friend and I got around 469K on Public Assembly.

fernoca

Wohoo!
Just finished it on Veteran Mode in 3h and 45m, which unlocked quite a few things... the Infinite
Rocket Launcher
Professional
Mode,
Jill
figurine for the game and for HOME...

Now to collect the remaining 22 emblems!!

Top Bottom