• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

gantz85

Banned
I get this message:

Communication with the server timed out.
(8002231D)

Anyone experiencing the same thing? I checked and there are a few players in Germany experiencing the same problem. But I'm in Beijing, and I have the Asian version. Help, anyone?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
gantz85 said:
I get this message:

Communication with the server timed out.
(8002231D)

Anyone experiencing the same thing? I checked and there are a few players in Germany experiencing the same problem. But I'm in Beijing, and I have the Asian version. Help, anyone?

I've tried to play CoOp with someone from Spain yesterday. He also got some error message and wasn't able to join me.

I hope CoOp will work today, I've only need to finish the last to stages for my veteran trophy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If the guy I just played through all of Chapter 6 on Vet, and Chapter 1/2-1 on Pro with happens to lurk on GAF (unlikely, but hey) reads this, that was a great run through.

I really enjoyed playing Pro mode. It seems like it was balanced for infinite ammo, which makes the whole thing feel completely different from a regular playthrough, but also really rewarding.

I am going to cry. I have been playing all week and made it up to 6-2 last night. I went to shift on my sofa and I accidentally sat on my Logitech remote, which not only shut off my TV, but my Xbox360 as well. It turns out it shut off the Xbox360 while in the middle of a "Saving" part of the game. Needless to say my save game will not load. *sigh* all those hours I have put in have gone to waste and I never got to see the ending.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Eaten By A Grue said:
I am going to cry. I have been playing all week and made it up to 6-2 last night. I went to shift on my sofa and I accidentally sat on my Logitech remote, which not only shut off my TV, but my Xbox360 as well. It turns out it shut off the Xbox360 while in the middle of a "Saving" part of the game. Needless to say my save game will not load. *sigh* all those hours I have put in have gone to waste and I never got to see the ending.

Look on the brightside. Someone on here can speedrun you through the entire game in under 5 hours to get back to where you were. If this were to happen later, after multiple playthroughs and upgrades, I guarantee that you'd be much much more pissed.

dk_

zoukka said:
Wow getting chainsawed and not getting any kind of wound looks so stupid...
Capcom made only one version, which seems/feels censored. So thank Capcom!

EDIT: The horrific dying animations of RE4 are pretty much gone.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
zoukka said:
Wow getting chainsawed and not getting any kind of wound looks so stupid...
The camera is, in theory, not supposed to show your head after being chainsawed. Thanks to those pesky walls, that doesn't always end up as planned. :lol

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I didn't have much problem with the AI so far but now I'm in 6-2 (veteran) right after
the Excella/Uroboros fight
and there is now way I can finish the last parts of the game with dumb AI Chris. Everything he does (which is not much) he does wrong.

kamorra said:
I didn't have much problem with the AI so far but now I'm in 6-2 (veteran) right after
the Excella/Uroboros fight
and there is now way I can finish the last parts of the game with dumb AI Chris. Everything he does (which is not much) he does wrong.

See!

I'm not the only one!

I'd be willing to help out later if you still need it.

Davey Cakes

Checked my play time this morning. About 8 and a half hours on normal mode, in single player.

For comparison, on my third playthrough of RE4, with the Chicago Typewriter, it took me just a few minutes under 9 hours.

Is RE5 shorter than RE4? Not only is it shorter, but I guess those people were right who said that RE5 is like RE4 without the Castle segment. It's like the game is an entire 1/3 shorter.

Of course, replayability is what makes RE5 shine more than RE4, so that's the tradeoff.

As a side point, I still think that the entire Castle segment in RE4 is better than anything in RE5.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is RE5 shorter than RE4? Not only is it shorter, but I guess those people were right who said that RE5 is like RE4 without the Castle segment.
Still, RE5 is pretty much the second longest game in the series. RE4 was significantly longer than any previous entry and RE5 is still a very meaty game.

ShinAmano

Son of Godzilla said:
Man, being beholden to two people's schedule's sucks. Me and the dude I'm playing through with just finished Chapter 3 tonight. Glancing at this thread makes it seem like people beat the game thrice over before I even opened my copy.

Whatever, it's worth it. Resident Evil has *always* been a multiplayer experience for me, used to watch roommates and friends play it and go back and forth. It was always that kind of game. Arguing over the stupid puzzles and jumping over the quick scares and laughing at the utter cheese. That they actually made it co-op is just beyond perfect really.
I agree 100% we used to sit and hand off each load/death to play. We did this with RE, Metal Gear and many others, but RE was the YOU CANT PLAY UNTIL WE ARE ALL HERE game...funny trying to get 5 people together for gaming sessions, but it was easier in high school. :lol

Davey Cakes

dark10x said:
Still, RE5 is pretty much the second longest game in the series. RE4 was significantly longer than any previous entry and RE5 is still a very meaty game.
It's longer and meatier overall, yeah, considering replay and all that.

Though, still, even REmake took me over ten hours my first time through, with Jill, on hiking mode....

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rash said:
As a side point, I still think that the entire Castle segment in RE4 is better than anything in RE5.

a lot of re5 seems like a riff on re4, but much of it seems to miss the point. it's an excellent riff, but a few things that seem weaker, less charming, or altogether blatantly derivative:

[1] the weapon names are far poorer, less interesting, and lack the character of re4's more colorfully named weapons. i still talk to my friends about weapons like the striker and the red 9, but the likelihood that any of us will be waxing nostalgic about the mg95p (or whatever) in four years is just not good.

[2] the economy. i'm grouping both the weapon economy and the treasure system into this one category, as i feel they're intricately connected. part of what made re4's weapon economy so interesting was the question of whether to purchase a new gun or upgrade the gun you had; each of the guns had very noticeable advantages and disadvantages, and all those decision were made even MORE interesting because you also had the option to expand your inventory. i cannot say enough how much i think removing the attache case hurts re5. the feeling of EARNING an expanded inventory was fantastic, and it's just completely absent here.

as far as treasure, there's entirely too much of it, and therefore none of it seems special. the re4 team seemed to know just how much to pepper through the environment, how to hide it so it made you explore, and also made you think about what you did with that treasure by making some more valuable when combined. again, all gone in re5. it's like someone played re4 and wanted that element in their game, but didn't understand what made that unique.

[3] the fact that many of the enemies are so obviously palate swaps or, again, just conceptual riffs on bosses/enemies from re4 really hurts. hell, even situations like having to dodge the catapult fireballs is mimicked here (focused lines of sun heat). it just feels. . . cheap and unimaginative.

ALL THAT SAID: the game is still incredible. it's just not nearly so polished, thoughtful, or inventive as re4. that's a high standard, but i don't think it's entirely unfair.

Davey Cakes

It really feels like, in RE5, there's absolutely NOTHING similar to the Castle.

The game draws many parallels with RE4's Village and Island segments. For example, the Public Assembly, Mines, and Marshlands are all parallel to RE4's Village. The Oil Fields, and the entire last two chapters of RE5 are parallel to RE4's Island.

That leaves, what, the Ruins? That was its own thing, for the most part. Even RE4 didn't have any Zelda-like puzzles.

Rash said:
It really feels like, in RE5, there's absolutely NOTHING similar to the Castle.

The game draws many parallels with RE4's Village and Island segments. For example, the Public Assembly, Mines, and Marshlands are all parallel to RE4's Village. The Oil Fields, and the entire last two chapters of RE5 are parallel to RE4's Island.

That leaves, what, the Ruins? That was its own thing, for the most part. Even RE4 didn't have any Zelda-like puzzles.

Actually the Ruins, with the traps and puzzles remind me of the castle.

I'm already in chapter 6-2, but I had a partner with infinite ammo, so it wasn't that fun, so I'm gonna repeat those chapters again, especially
Jill and wesker fight
damn that was awesome.Right now, this game it's a 9/10 for me, it's less original, inventive, many situations are draw from RE4,and in general lost a bit of that awesome railcoster element from RE4 that was continuously throwing things at you, each one more awesome than the last. But it's still a great, great game and the co-op it's so incredible, it's hard to go back and play in solo.

Sectus

Online coop playthroughs of Mines with 201k and 223k score. Neither playthrough is ideal though, there's some mistakes here and there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VUPFHs3hDo&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOxiqArZrnM&fmt=22

Grenade launcher is so much more useful than I thought. Explosive rounds (for quickly killing just about everyone) and nitrogen (for freezing and meleeing enemies for more time) are insanely useful. The only bad thing is that adds a small layer of random chance because you're not sure what type of grenade rounds enemies will drop.

And ugh, those reapers! I originally chose Chris STARS because I thought electric rounds would make it easier to kill the reapers, but I find the most effecient way to kill them is one single magnum shot on their weak spot while they're moving. Which is kinda tricky to do.

Duck Amuck said:
There's gotta be a hi res pic of
BSAA Jill
for avatar use right? Because I can't find shit.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Comp10021527.jpg - ?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
[1] the weapon names are far poorer, less interesting, and lack the character of re4's more colorfully named weapons. i still talk to my friends about weapons like the striker and the red 9, but the likelihood that any of us will be waxing nostalgic about the mg95p (or whatever) in four years is just not good.
Err, they returned to using actual weapon names in RE5.

eso76

Rez said:
lol, if only a Wii could look half as good as that.

That's the RE5 Home space.

well, RE4 looks considerably better than that : )
at first i thought it was some early re5 prototype on last gen consoles (which thinking of it wouldn't make much sense, since it looks a lot worse than re4) I didn't think of home.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
and the real weapon names in re5 are less colorful and interesting than the fake weapon names in re4, in much the same way that the common or colloquial names for many things are more interesting or memorable than their scientific name.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
darkjedi187 said:
anyone know how to get the jewel during the final fight? Thanks

Right before you run up to the bridge that collapses, shoot the vertical rock of the same color on the other side and it will crumble. After the small cut scene, head to your left, jump over the rock and you'll see it in front of you on the ground.

That was my final treasure get so I have all 50/50. Had to consult a guide for 3 of them but I managed to find everything else by myself.

Oh, and thanks to brandonh for hooking me up with the rotten eggs :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
wish i was home and not at work so i could take you up on that, wispy. i haven't played co-op yet with anyone. maybe another time? i'm looking for a co-op buddy who's sort of on my same schedule.

Question: After I finish a game, it's always New Game + with all the old game items carried over? Is there anything like RE4 so that you can have multiple saves, but still contributing to total collectables?

[Nintex]

I think that
Wesker
ran out of tricks quicker than Sadler did. RE4 was just insane, you had Leon the super soldier jumping through windows, with his sarcastic responses and awesome dialogue. It was actually cool to be called by the bad guys in RE4 multiple times. I really missed the codec thing in RE5 and Irving was just... well I never had any connection to the character. What did he do that was so terrible?

The characters in RE4 were much better developed than in RE5. Ashley and Luis Sera for example or Krauser and Ada. Chris would run for his life in a fight with Leon. RE5 is still an amazing game though. The lighting is just incredible, the game looks slick as hell and runs great too. The co-op gameplay works really well and even in singleplayer it doesn't bother me at all. The game is also quite epic.

Applesauce said:
Right before you run up to the bridge that collapses, shoot the vertical rock of the same color on the other side and it will crumble. After the small cut scene, head to your left, jump over the rock and you'll see it in front of you on the ground.

That was my final treasure get so I have all 50/50. Had to consult a guide for 3 of them but I managed to find everything else by myself.

Oh, and thanks to brandonh for hooking me up with the rotten eggs :D

Thanks I wish I figured this out last night when I was playing him. Oh well. Might anyone want to help me out with the eggs. PSN=darkjedi187. Thanks

[Nintex] said:
and Irving was just... well I never had any connection to the character. What did he do that was so terrible?

He was just a known weapons dealer that the BSAA had been trying to track, and he just happened to end up having connections to Excella. Irving wasn't really much of a character, so much as he was a narrative stepping stone.

also, I got all my weapons purchased and upgraded already thanks to doing the rotten egg trick with two people. It ended up taking around... I think 1,500,000 to upgrade everything and that's not included what I already did myself prior to the trick.

[Nintex]

brandonh83 said:
He was just a known weapons dealer that the BSAA had been trying to track, and he just happened to end up having connections to Excella. Irving wasn't really much of a character, so much as he was a narrative stepping stone.
They really should've fleshed out the stories of the characters in the game. There's quite a few files in the library which are interesting to read and would've translated well into the actual game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I should be around tonight at some point as well, what timezone are you? I'll gladly pop your co-op cherry. ;)

i'm est (it's 10:32am here atm). my tag is twoheddedboy. add me and if i catch you on, i'd love to have a go at it.

[Nintex] said:
They really should've fleshed out the stories of the characters in the game. There's quite a few files in the library which are interesting to read and would've translated well into the actual game.

yeah well, Resident Evil and all. and I know what you mean about the characters in RE4 but the only supporting character I liked, at all, was Krauser. Luis was okay but kind of forgettable to me. Salazar was hilarious but completely retarded. not that there aren't characters in RE5 that are completely retarded but Salazar was a bit much even by RE standards.

I do think they could have did more with Irving and Excella though. Excella was the typical evil but sexy villain that didn't do anything except leech (heh) fortune and fame off the main villain. Basically
Wesker
did all the work and Excella tried to mooch off him.

do we still really need to spoil tag
Wesker
, by the way? It's like spoiler tagging Sephiroth or Bowser. I mean god he was in all the trailers. spoiler tagging
Jill
is very much understandable though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
completely retarded but memorable is better than completely retarded and forgettable.

salazar was retarded in a way that was endearing and insane and unique. that can't be said for anyone in re5.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
darkjedi187 said:
Thanks I wish I figured this out last night when I was playing him. Oh well. Might anyone want to help me out with the eggs. PSN=darkjedi187. Thanks

I won't be able to do much in the game until Saturday night but if you don't have them by then I'll help.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ha, indeed. excluding everything you disliked about re4, though, i don't think you can argue that re5 had more colorful interesting characters than that. if salazar were a character in a "classic style" resident evil you'd be banana-riding him and you know it.

beelzebozo said:
ha, indeed. excluding everything you disliked about re4, though, i don't think you can argue that re5 had more colorful interesting characters than that. if salazar were a character in a "classic style" resident evil you'd be banana-riding him and you know it.

I guess it goes like this, RE4:

Awesome: Krauser, Leon
Retarded but still awesome: Salazar
Retarded with no awesome: Saddler
Meh: Ada, Ashley, Hunnigan

and in RE5:

Awesome: Chris,
Jill
fuck the haters I liked the way the character was handled, Kirk "what the fuck are those?"
Retarded but still awesome: Wesker
Retarded with no awesome: Excella
Retarded with some awesome: Irving
Just kinda there: Sheva, Josh

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, that's pretty perfect.

the addition of that bravado to leon's character in re4 really made him his own character. chris in re5 was characterized as a much more serious, compassionate person, which again was a big improvement over what i personally considered a virtual tabula rasa.

they did a nice job with both the main characters in these games, actually, now that i think about it.

Chinner

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I guess it goes like this, RE4:

Awesome: Krauser, Leon
Retarded but still awesome: Salazar
Retarded with no awesome: Saddler
Meh: Ada, Ashley, Hunnigan
You forgot one person, I will not say whom but I will quote a quote that will be instantly recognisable and you will hang your head in shame for even forgetting him:
Well, I see that the President has equipped his daughter with ballistics too!

[Nintex]

beelzebozo said:
yeah, that's pretty perfect.

the addition of that bravado to leon's character in re4 really made him his own character. chris in re5 was characterized as a much more serious, compassionate person, which again was a big improvement over what i personally considered a virtual tabula rasa.

they did a nice job with both the main characters in these games, actually, now that i think about it.
Sheva and Chris, I don't know, Chris was way slow to catch up on stuff. I liked the interactions between him and
Wesker
. At the end he finally got some personality with: "Do you get all your ideas from comic book villains?" and "I have enough of your BULLSHIT!".

Sheva didn't have anything interesting to say. They somehow tried to put in a "I'm going to leave scene!" in there but it just didn't work. RE4 had alot of 'filler' dialogue, RE5 was more straight to the point. But RE4's crazy conversations made for some great comic relief.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
beelzebozo said:
mike is such a non-character, but he gets points for letting leon deliver on one of the ultimate action movie cliches.

What the hell did Kirk do?

Mike pushed over a freakin' water tower to crush a ganado. It makes no sense. And it's awesome because of it. Kirk just fired some missiles and then got hit with flying BOWs. He didn't even have a cool accent.

Top Bottom