• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
beelzebozo said:
[1] the weapon names are far poorer, less interesting, and lack the character of re4's more colorfully named weapons. i still talk to my friends about weapons like the striker and the red 9, but the likelihood that any of us will be waxing nostalgic about the mg95p (or whatever) in four years is just not good.

this is one of my main gripes with the game. there are way too many weapons and sadly they all have their technical name. Each handgun in RE4 had a different look and had an interesting name. In RE5 I didn't even feel like trying out the other ones. All I know is that there are four types.

i also don't understand why there isn't a 'sell all' option in the inventory. why do we have to sell each trinket individually? it's not like we're gonna keep them because they look pretty. plus, they removed combining so what's the point.

all this adds up to an underwhelming experience at the upgrade bench. in re4 it really felt good when you could finally sell that 3 gemmed Beerstein and buy some extra upgrades. in re5 it almost feels like something you have to go through.

it is more fun in co-op though. you can talk about the past chapter or discuss what weapons you're gonna upgrade.

oh and about protagonists: this game makes it clear that Leon is by FAR the best main character in the series. RE4 made him so very memorable. Chris is boring by comparison. I don't like him at all

[Nintex]

GuardianE said:
What the hell did Kirk do?

Mike pushed over a freakin' water tower to crush a ganado. It makes no sense. And it's awesome because of it. Kirk just fired some missiles and then got hit with flying BOWs. He didn't even have a cool accent.
That's the difference between RE5 and RE4. Leon and co. could pull all kinds of crazy shit, Chris wouldn't last 5 minutes in the same battles that Leon took place in.

Chinner

Banned
[Nintex] said:
That's the difference between RE5 and RE4. Leon and co. could pull all kinds of crazy shit, Chris wouldn't last 5 minutes in the same battles that Leon took place in.

Leon owning the gigantic troll is a good example. I mean Chris needed a partner and he had to resort to machine gun with infinite ammo. Shit man, Leon could probably own Wesker.

Serious Question...

I have been playing Single Player and have finished the first 3 chapters on Easy mode... My girlfriend is coming over today and we want to play Co-op, but will that erase my previous save file?

I'm worried because I havent seen any save game screen yet... I just click 'continue' every time I start, and it picks up where I left off. So if I start a new game with co-op... what happens then? I dont wanna experiment because I dont really want to lose my single player saved game.

Ideally I would like to have two save files... one for my Single Player... and another for when my gf is here and we play some Co-op... can that be done?

I need some help, and quickly, as she'll be over soon! Thank you! :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iamcool388 said:
Serious Question...

I have been playing Single Player and have finished the first 3 chapters on Easy mode... My girlfriend is coming over today and we want to play Co-op, but will that erase my previous save file?

I'm worried because I havent seen any save game screen yet... I just click 'continue' every time I start, and it picks up where I left off. So if I start a new game with co-op... what happens then? I dont wanna experiment because I dont really want to lose my single player saved game.

Ideally I would like to have two save files... one for my Single Player... and another for when my gf is here and we play some Co-op... can that be done?

I need some help, and quickly, as she'll be over soon! Thank you! :D

The game automatically saves your profile. While the Continue option will let you startup wherever you left off in a chapter, you can go back and replay any chapter or your current chapter. It'll just rewrite the autosave Continue. Considering that no Chapters are THAT long, you shouldn't really have a problem starting a new game and then just choosing the chapter you were on later from the Chapter Select.

All of your gear carries over. It's tied to your profile, not to any given game autosave.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Chinner said:
Leon owning the gigantic troll is a good example. I mean Chris needed a partner and he had to resort to machine gun with infinite ammo. Shit man, Leon could probably own Wesker.
Plus Leon took down 2 Gigantes at once later in the game.

They really wasted the Gigante in 5. More should have appeared, maybe drop a couple in the Ruins instead of bringing back the the bat.

GuardianE said:
The game automatically saves your profile. While the Continue option will let you startup wherever you left off in a chapter, you can go back and replay any chapter or your current chapter. It'll just rewrite the autosave Continue. Considering that no Chapters are THAT long, you shouldn't really have a problem starting a new game and then just choosing the chapter you were on later from the Chapter Select.

All of your gear carries over. It's tied to your profile, not to any given game autosave.

Wait... so... I can start a new game (or I guess it will be a new chapter... the first chapter) and play it co-op... and once that is done (and knowing how squeamish my gf is, it will be over in 30 minutes max :lol ), I can go back to the last chapter I have played... after which I stopped, which was 3-3... I finished that... and I can start chapter 4-1 in single player.

Have I got it right?

P.S. Another question, sorry... so if I start the co-op session... do i keep all the guns I have bought in the single player game? Cuz thats what ur describing sounds like... if thats the case... BRILLIANT!

Prine

Banned
beelzebozo said:
completely retarded but memorable is better than completely retarded and forgettable.

salazar was retarded in a way that was endearing and insane and unique. that can't be said for anyone in re5.

Irving was far more memorable than Salazar. I LOVE the look of Irving. Real psycho

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iamcool388 said:
Wait... so... I can start a new game (or I guess it will be a new chapter... the first chapter) and play it co-op... and once that is done (and knowing how squeamish my gf is, it will be over in 30 minutes max :lol ), I can go back to the last chapter I have played... after which I stopped, which was 3-3... I finished that... and I can start chapter 4-1 in single player.

Have I got it right?

P.S. Another question, sorry... so if I start the co-op session... do i keep all the guns I have bought in the single player game? Cuz thats what ur describing sounds like... if thats the case... BRILLIANT!

Yes. You've got it right.

And yes, you keep all the guns. And money. And treasure.

[Nintex]

GuardianE said:
Shotgun knocks them on their back, run up and Context them before they recover.
Sounds cool, but Leon would snap their necks, stab them in the heart and kick them in the air just to be sure.

GuardianE said:
Mike > Kirk

They're about equal to me. RE really loves those faceless chopper pilots, I hadn't realized that until just now :lol

Chinner said:
You forgot one person, I will not say whom but I will quote a quote that will be instantly recognisable and you will hang your head in shame for even forgetting him:

I didn't forget him though. I mean I did, but that's why he wasn't on my list. :D

The corpse of the delta force agent in 3.1 has more personality and is more memorable than irving...

Seriously stupid character. Even Excella is pretty forgettable, well except for her *ahem* "assests".

And Josh is the new Mike.

GuardianE said:
Yes. You've got it right.

And yes, you keep all the guns. And money. And treasure.

15n9ac7.gif

Davey Cakes

Prine said:
Irving was far more memorable than Salazar. I LOVE the look of Irving. Real psycho
Irving, more memorable than Salazar?

I know you're a HUGE fan of RE5, but c'mon now. Salazar has more and better lines. Not only that, but he has better encounters and conversations with Leon.

"I've sent my right hand to dispose of you."
"You're right hand comes off?"

Not only that, but Leon does little things like shooting the bell and throwing the knife into Salazar's hand, etc, etc.

Chinner

Banned
Rash said:
Irving, more memorable than Salazar?

I know you're a HUGE fan of RE5, but c'mon now. Salazar has more and better lines. Not only that, but he has better encounters and conversations with Leon.

"I've sent my right hand to dispose of you."
"You're right hand comes off?"

Not only that, but Leon does little things like shooting the bell and throwing the knife into Salazar's hand, etc, etc.

I love that quote. Anyway, I think Irving has the potential to be just as good as Salazar, but he just doesn't have as near as much screen time as Salazar did.

Chinner said:
I love that quote. Anyway, I think Irving has the potential to be just as good as Salazar, but he just doesn't have as near as much screen time as Salazar did.

I spent the entire time thinking " Who the **** is Irving?" Thus, not a good character :p

MoogPaul

So I just beat Neo. The Matrix should be safe for now.
The linear flow of the game is terrible and borderline offensive, considering the game. At least in RE4 you had to travel to a previous room a couple of times. It's a B- follow up at best. The wonderful puzzles of: kill guy, get keycard, insert keycard really had me stumped for a while and I needed to consult gamefaqs many times. Solidifying itself as Gears of Resident Evil, they even included a Beserker fight complete with Hammer of Dawn.
*yawn* wake me when Dead Rising 2 comes out.

I'm going to say it now. Even if RE5 isn't perfect in peoples eyes. Even if you thought RE4 was better. If you can't say you had a blast playing this game. I honestly want to check your pulse. Your simply not alive.:lol

Chinner

Banned
Anyone up for playing this on Pro mode later on? I've got my main weapons prepared (infinite ammo for rocket, hydra and the s&w m500).

mattso

It will be awhile before I can really judge this against re4. I'm stricken more with what I have now being awesome than with nostalgia or any of that.

Although in the end I'm inclined to think co-op will push this one into the winner's circle

TChirath

Neo Member
Chinner said:
Anyone up for playing this on Pro mode later on? I've got my main weapons prepared (infinite ammo for rocket, hydra and the s&w m500).

I'm up for pro (currently at 5-2 on pro but more than willing to help with earlier chapters). Feel free to invite anytime you see me online. I don't have a mic yet but should one within next week. Which version do u play on? I'm on PS3 and ID is the same as username.

Applesauce said:
I won't be able to do much in the game until Saturday night but if you don't have them by then I'll help.

That is most likely when I will be on. If you get a chance I would appreciate the help.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zenith said:
Irving was much better than Salazar.

i don't see how you could think this at all. he did nothing. he had maybe two scenes of dialogue that were without any defining characteristics, then turned into a monster. and that monster was a rip-off of the salazar boss fight from 4, except--oh boy!--you're on a turret.

scitek

I'm having more fun with The Mercenaries and replaying the game with infinite ammo on the M3 than I did with the campaign the first time through. Going after unlockables adds a lot, but I don't see myself playing through the entire campaign again just for kicks like I have with 4, oh, seventeen times or so.

Wow, Mercinaries on co-op is better than the actual game! I'm not very good, I struggle to get Bs with my buddy, but alone I can get As in all the stages except the ship and prison. Any tips?

Also, I thought I'd mention that one of my buddies is a freak. He found 29 BSAA emblems without any guide or help. I only found 4 without a guide.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I have to agree about the guns. I can remember just about every gun I used and most of the differences in RE4. Here, we're just like..".get the one you got in the last stage...or something" They had character and these don't.

Salazar sucked, but Irving is worse. He's an exact copy of Salazar, except he was a huge waste of space. Can't forget that you have to kill him on a LOLOL-TURRET-LOLOL. :/

Mike was the man. I don't feel shit about kirk dieing. Most of the enemies die by my sniper rifle and shotgun by the time he shows up. In RE4 it actually felt like Mike was helping you through a warzone.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MoogPaul said:
So I just beat Neo. The Matrix should be safe for now.
The linear flow of the game is terrible and borderline offensive, considering the game. At least in RE4 you had to travel to a previous room a couple of times. It's a B- follow up at best. The wonderful puzzles of: kill guy, get keycard, insert keycard really had me stumped for a while and I needed to consult gamefaqs many times. Solidifying itself as Gears of Resident Evil, they even included a Beserker fight complete with Hammer of Dawn.
*yawn* wake me when Dead Rising 2 comes out.

I think that was the point. They didn't want any backtracking. That's also part of why the game was shorter.

hulot

Chinner said:
I've got two levels left in Veteran. Starting Pro right after. Are you on 360?

EekTheKat said:
I just had my first mercenaries game where we killed every single thing alive in the mines. According to my screen I had 106 kills, I'm guessing my partner (who didn't have a mic) had the other 44 or so.

We only scored 85k though :lol Couldn't keep a good combo going if our lives depended on it. I was
STARS Wesker
while my partner was playing BSAA Sheva.

The guy I was paired with had 2 full stacks of machine gun ammo towards the end :lol While I was struggling to keep going with what I had. What I did notice though it helps a *lot* to pick a character that's somewhat complimentary to one another in terms of loadout, as during the whole thing I kept getting nothing but rifle ammo.

The troubling thing is I think my partner playing BSAA Sheva didn't even use the rifle all that much. So we had tons and tons of unused rifle ammo all over the place.

STARS Wesker
always runs out of ammo, especially when not getting rid of one of his three guns. Why? Because the only ammo that will drop if you discard the pistol is shotgun and magnum ammo, and magnum ammo doesnt appear often as is. pistol ammo appears more often than shotgun ammo, so if you have no pistol, pistol ammo doesnt drop and it will go to something else.

So if what you mean is using characters that complement each other, like someone who uses rifle and mg compared to
STARS Wesker
's handgun, magnum, and shotgun, you're actually making it hard to get the ammo you prefer, and like you said, rifle ammo is left all over the place because your partner didnt use it. If however you mean use characters with the same weapons, then yes that is a good strategy. I played someone without a mic the other day, and kept trying to choose his character so we get the same ammo, but he kept switching the character as if i was telling him NO I WANT HER/HIM incessantly. MAde me feel like an ass :).

TChirath

Neo Member
AlphaTwo00 said:
That's somewhat disappointing. Even finishing on Normal will let you carry all the weapons on Hard?

You just have to spend a few thousands to buy any new unupgraded gun (or pick up a new unupgraded one), then spend the rest of your money on first-aid spray or something if you want to start fresh with harder difficulty.

woodchuck

after beating it, i think RE4 was still better. I just really enjoyed the level design, bosses, and the variety of scenarios in RE4. RE5 for me, didn't get interesting until Chapter 5.

beat it last night finally.

i'm sure RE4 is a better single player game than RE5 is.

i wouldn't know though as I played it co-op and RE5 is definitely a better co-op game than RE4 was a single player game.

Dave1988

TheCardPlayer said:
A week later and still the game of the generation. Woot. Fuck off haters.

You really are a fickle one, aren't you?

And no, this isn't the game of the generation. It's a very fun, polished game but it does not deserve to be called "game of the generation."

Dave1988 said:
You really are a fickle one, aren't you?

And no, this isn't the game of the generation. It's a very fun, polished game but it does not deserve to be called "game of the generation."
something something opinions?

TheCardPlayer said:
A week later and still the game of the generation. Woot. Fuck off haters.

we're you the one blatantly trolling this game before it was released?
anyways... it's a fantastic game but not better than re4 was at the time.

re5 does have amazing replay value though. getting s ranks is addictive and so is unlocking and upgrading all the weapons; finding the emblems and treasures, etc.

I'm planning on playing through this with a friend of mine (he hasn't gotten it yet), but in the meantime I've been playing through the story a bit myself. When I start the game with my friend, will I be able to carry over the equipment I've already acquired?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am buying this game today, so I will join the ranks of you guys.

My PSN is Hcoregamer00 and I will be playing it in around 2-3 hours from now.

Davey Cakes

Dave1988 said:
Pretty much.

Very fun game. Very replayable game. And, one of the few X360 games I actually care about. Game of the generation? Not for me.

And I don't think "haters" need to fuck off, since they are welcome to not like a game. If anything, it's the "over-worshipers" who should fuck off. They're no less annoying than the people who refuse to play because of the controls.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The game does lose some luster when IT FAILS TO FUCKING LOAD YOUR SAVE.

Still pissed about that. I'm almost done "beating it again" this time. I just threw it on Amatuer to get the the "restart" over with.

Top Bottom