• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

j-wood said:
Tell me guys, is the game worth purchasing? I really like RE4, but heard this one doesn't really have the scary elements anymore. I do have a friend that has it, so I would be playing co-op, and it's on the PS3
Try it out.
But note one thing: Just because you liked RE4 it doesn't mean you will like RE5.

mattso

newsguy said:
Today I realized this game needs to be played co-op. I played the first few levels online with a friend, but he beat the game already so he just did it to get me started. So I start alone today and I'm at the
cave section where it's dark and either you or the girl needs to hold the flashlight.
You hold it, I'll shoot... No? You can't perform that simple task? Ok, I'll hold it, you shoot... FUUUUUUUUUUCK
ai sheva held the lantern perfectly fine my first playthrough (on veteran). Just go slow and aim your gun a lot to make sure she's pointing it where you want her to have it.

Neiteio

Wow, RE5's Mercenaries blows RE4's out of the water.

Twice as many levels, twice as many characters, leaderboards, online and offline co-op, the improved combat of RE5's gameplay (ground finishers and three times the melee moves!), superior monster variety (flying BOWs, spiders, reapers,
lickers
, dulvians, et al). I cannot get enough of Public Assembly, Experimental Facility, Ship Deck and Prison (co-op Prison is worth the price of admission alone; aside from the countless ways in and out of each area and the sheer terror of the flaming Executioner, there's the fact I notice a new grisly detail in the dungeon everytime I play). Mercs has never been better.

Oh, and though I love RE4 (yes, you can love both games simultaneously *collective gasp*), RE5 feels so much more EPIC. Every scene with
Wesker
obliterates every RE4 villain combined. RE5 is driven more by conspiracy than by henchmen, so Excella and Irving are more secondary than Salazar and Bitores in RE4, but that's merely because the architect of it all is far more grandiose than Saddler. Then there's the fact you traverse half a continent -- shanty towns, ports, cities, mines, mountains, savannah, marshlands, villages, ruins, labs, temples, tankers and more -- yet the pitch-perfect blend of set-pieces and breathers distill the action to its essence so the game hits a sweet spot in terms of length, making me WANT to replay chapters. No chapter overstays its welcome, and each is stuffed to the gills with details I want to return to soak up. And bosses like
U-8
and
Uroboros Aheri
are simply stunning in a way RE4 never even approached;
U-8
in particular is such a visually arresting presence that I felt overwhelmed taking it in. The game is the best of RE4, on steroids.

Tonight, I play Mercenaries co-op in splitscreen with a friend. Then, when all have gone to bed, I'll start getting A and S ranks on all chapters. I want to unlock the
BSAA Jill
figure! But tell me this: do all the A and/or S ranks have to be on the same difficulty, or can some be on Amateur while others are on Normal?

Nikorasu

newsguy said:
Today I realized this game needs to be played co-op. I played the first few levels online with a friend, but he beat the game already so he just did it to get me started. So I start alone today and I'm at the
cave section where it's dark and either you or the girl needs to hold the flashlight.
You hold it, I'll shoot... No? You can't perform that simple task? Ok, I'll hold it, you shoot... FUUUUUUUUUUCK

Why do people complain about sheva's ai here of all places. I've never had a live partner who could follow me with the light as well as the ai. Maybe you all need to slow the fuck down when you're walking through a pitch black cave eh..? Give her a bit of space to walk beside you.

mattso said:
ai sheva held the lantern perfectly fine my first playthrough (on veteran). Just go slow and aim your gun a lot to make sure she's pointing it where you want her to have it.

You can also kinda cheat and boost the brightness on your tv. It does help.

Neiteio said:

Twice as many levels, twice as many characters, leaderboards, online and offline co-op, the improved combat of RE5's gameplay (ground finishers and three times the melee moves!), superior monster variety (flying BOWs, spiders, reapers,
lickers
, dulvians, et al). I cannot get enough of Public Assembly, Experimental Facility, Ship Deck and Prison (co-op Prison is worth the price of admission alone; aside from the countless ways in and out of each area and the sheer terror of the flaming Executioner, there's the fact I notice a new grisly detail in the dungeon everytime I play). Mercs has never been better.

Oh, and though I love RE4 (yes, you can love both games simultaneously *collective gasp*), RE5 feels so much more EPIC. Every scene with
Wesker
obliterates every RE4 villain combined. RE5 is driven more by conspiracy than by henchmen, so Excella and Irving are more secondary than Salazar and Bitores in RE4, but that's merely because the architect of it all is far more grandiose than Saddler. Then there's the fact you traverse half a continent -- shanty towns, ports, cities, mines, mountains, savannah, marshlands, villages, ruins, labs, temples, tankers and more -- yet the pitch-perfect blend of set-pieces and breathers distill the action to its essence so the game hits a sweet spot in terms of length, making me WANT to replay chapters. No chapter overstays its welcome, and each is stuffed to the gills with details I want to return to soak up. And bosses like
U-8
and
Uroboros Aheri
U-8
in particular is such a visually arresting presence that I felt overwhelmed taking it in. The game is the best of RE4, on steroids.

Tonight, I play Mercenaries co-op in splitscreen with a friend. Then, when all have gone to bed, I'll start getting A and S ranks on all chapters. I want to unlock the
BSAA Jill
figure! But tell me this: do all the A and/or S ranks have to be on the same difficulty, or can some be on Amateur while others are on Normal?

I have to disagree, the fight with the big cheese and Salazaars right hand was much better to me. Even the big Olger was a better fight. Where's my boss quick time events, I want to climb up on the back or the neck of the boss and stab his eye or slash away at his weak spot. I don't want to play hide and seek with a boss and use cover. That's what I bought GOW1-2 for. I want my damn merchant STRANGER. He had some good things on sell. He also bought a lot of shit from me at a high price. I want to be cursed at by the villagers. Where's my comedy.

Maybe I'll like it more after I beat it.

Sectus

FUCKING HELL!

Tried about 5-6 runs at mines solo, got killed by a reaper each time. One of the times I had a score above 100,000 and I had a combo over 50, the timer was below 30 seconds... I knew there was a reaper behind me but I thought it was far away. I turn around so I can aim... IT IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME AND USING THE INSTANT KILL ATTACK ARGH @_@

I think the biggest adrenaline rush and panic attack in the game is the tactic I use against reapers. Equip my magnum, wait for it to approach and try to hit its weak spot while it's moving. Do one small mistake and I'm dead. Getting killed is even more likely considering all the normal majini around me too.

Teknoman

Neiteio said:

lickers

Wesker
U-8
and
Uroboros Aheri
U-8

BSAA Jill

U-8
was so aggressive in veteran mode, we barely made it out alive. That boss and
Uroboros Excella
, which im not sure if thats the right name or not. I need to look at my figure section.

OG_Original Gamer said:
I have to disagree, the fight with the big cheese and Salazaars right hand was much better to me. Even the big Olger was a better fight. Where's my boss quick time events, I want to climb up on the back or the neck of the boss and stab his eye or slash away at his weak spot. I don't want to play hide and seek with a boss and use cover. That's what I bought GOW1-2 for. I want my damn merchant STRANGER. He had some good things on sell. He also bought a lot of shit from me at a high price. I want to be cursed at by the villagers. Where's my comedy.

Im gonna say you will. At least you should.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
BSAA Jill
It can be on different difficulties.

burgerdog

Rez said:
Wow, the noise filter that is unlocked once Veteran is completed actually makes the game look better. Try it out, if you haven't.

YES! I've been meaning to post that. The game looks downright amazing with the noise filter on.

Christopher

OG_Original Gamer said:

It gets better, trust me I felt the same way... Irvin and Excella are great replacements for Salazar and Saddler.

Finally got the platinum trophy for this bitch. Pro difficulty has some tough moments even with infinite ammo. Chapter 2-3 boss with the truck turrets can eat a dick. Took about 50 attempts but I finally got it by myself with an ounce of health left.

fernoca

brandonh83 said:
Is an attempt to beat Veteran really that much easier on co-op?
Depends..I did it yesterday, by myself..in 3 hours and something else..then again that was with an Infinite Magnum (well, two...gave one to Sheva).. :p

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Jack Scofield said:
How come my weapons still use up ammo when I turn on infinite ammo? I just want to blast my way through the game with total disregard for anyone.

Bonus Features>Buy the weapon you want infinite ammo
Special Settings>Turn infinite ammo on
At the xbox live/system link screen make sure infinite ammo is turned to "Yes"
Put the gun with infinite ammo in your inventory>play game>kill shit

fernoca

Jack Scofield said:
How come my weapons still use up ammo when I turn on infinite ammo? I just want to blast my way through the game with total disregard for anyone.
??
Make sure you bought each weapon's specific Infinite Ammo option in the Bonus section.

zombieshavebrains said:
Bonus Features>Buy the weapon you want infinite ammo
Special Settings>Turn infinite ammo on
At the xbox live/system link screen make sure infinite ammo is turned to "Yes"
Put the gun with infinite ammo in your inventory>play game>kill shit

Ah, thanks. I missed step 1. Figured it would work for my normal weapons as soon as I enabled the option. Can I play co-op with this setting?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Jack Scofield said:
Ah, thanks. I missed step 1. Figured it would work for my normal weapons as soon as I enabled the option. Can I play co-op with this setting?

Yes sir. But the other person has to have the infinite ammo too and you can't give them guns.

Davey Cakes

Neiteio said:
RE5 feels so much more EPIC.
Oh there's no doubt that it feels more epic. It was built to be that way. RE4 didn't end any story arcs that were 13 years in the making, after all.

However, in my opinion, epic =/= better. If anything, the focus on being epic made the game seem much more like a summer blockbuster than its predecessor, and I think a lot of the "charm" (if you want to call it that) was lost in the process.

And I still disagree about the villains. Yeah, Saddler wasn't anything great, but Salazar and Krouser surely are memorable for not only their battles, but their lines as well. The only villain in RE5 that's of the same caliber is Wesker, and that's because...well...he's friggin' WESKER.

And, even then, the "meh" story, combined with Wesker's goals for a "new" world are no less cliche than anything in RE4. Hell, beating RE5 after reading/seeing Watchmen just reminded me of how Wesker in RE5 is nothing more than a ripoff of the many Ozymandias-like villains that came before him. Yeah, he delivered some good lines, and he certainly played the role of a villain who you feel satisfied to take down for good, but even then, I still think that the battle with Jill had more heartfelt meaning to it.

You're right about RE5's Mercenaries being an improvement. Of course, that goes hand in hand with sentiments anyway. As I've said before, RE5 improved and expanded on most of the features introduced in RE4 (mostly with unlockables, Mercenaries, etc.), and this is what adds to the game significantly and is what can potentially make it as good or better than RE4 based on your perspective. I still think Capcom dropped the ball with the economy system, though.

KevinCow

Banned
Rash said:
And I still disagree about the villains. Yeah, Saddler wasn't anything great, but Salazar and Krouser surely are memorable for not only their battles, but their lines as well. The only villain in RE5 that's of the same caliber is Wesker, and that's because...well...he's friggin' WESKER.
I liked Irving for what little screen time he had. I think he could've had potential to be this game's Salazar, but he unfortunately hardly ever appeared.

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
I liked Irving for what little screen time he had. I think he could've had potential to be this game's Salazar, but he unfortunately hardly ever appeared.

Yeah I wish they would have given him more screen time as well. The way he acts and the way his voice is, I could definitely see him being this games salazar.

Blueblur1

Wesker was barely okay. I already grew tired of him. I thought RE5 was really hurt and burdened with the task of tying up loose ends. RE4 had a bare bones plot but it was much more interesting than Wesker stealing another virus and the existence of another seemingly evil pharmaceutical corporation.

I feel like RE6 will continue to mine that old concept and I'm starting not to give a flying fuck. I really hope Capcom surprises me and does something completely different (at least as far as the general plot is concerned). I wouldn't like more of the same next time around is about I'm really mean.

MoogPaul

I got the four egg achievement and the egg on your face achievement.

To get a golden egg, you keep going to the island. You don't have to replay the level. Just leave the island on your boat and come back on. The brown chickens drop them more often than white.

On another note, I just watched Degeneration today. I weep for the game that could have taken place in those settings. The WilPharma building could have been a whole new Arklay Mansion and airports also working well with zombies. Still could of have the co-op too. Oh well...

Final got this game yesterday, I'm quite shocked at the 'Sesame Street' levels of diversity of the shanty town... just surprised that I haven't encountered an asian-female-zombie in a wheelchair yet.

Anyway, looking forward to the next few hours of playtime, I haven't read a word about this or watched any trailers since the original one, so no idea what to expect. However, I can tell that I'm in for a great ride!

Chapter 1-3, here I come...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just played through 2-2 to 4-1 in Pro mode, in one sitting. Me and and the guy who I was playing with (great player) died SEVENTEEN fucking times during the Ndesu fight. :lol

It looked like we were going to start having trouble with the Giant Tribesmen in the Village area, but luckily, I had scrounged up enough cash to buy a Rocket Launcher. Having unlocked the infinite ammo launcher yesterday, that made the area significantly easier.

Anyway, I'm loving Pro mode. The pure insanity and fun of infinite ammo mixed with a real fear of failure that was missing, for better and for worst, from the game in easier difficulties (and many times, yeah, actual death. As in, CONSTANTLY), makes the game take on a whole new life for me.

Love this game. I'm starting to appreciate the online co-op even more than before. I've had such a huge variety of different experiences throughout the week or so I've had the game. RE4 may be a better single player experience, however, RE5 is proving to be the game where I'm going to sink much, much more time in to. It's just pure fun.

mattso said:
Guess I need to try out the filters.
The Noise Filter is great. I haven't turned it off since I unlocked it.

I think Noise makes these kinds of games look great. Look at SH2, or even L4D (which is a bit more subtle, but I crank it up on my rig). :D

KevinCow

Banned
I was just reminded that in RE4, when picking up a healing item, you had the option to use it instead of picking it up. Why the hell did they take this out? Especially with the more limited inventory.

Nikorasu

KevinCow said:
I was just reminded that in RE4, when picking up a healing item, you had the option to use it instead of picking it up. Why the hell did they take this out? Especially with the more limited inventory.

It is a mystery.

KevinCow said:

Or howabout adding the ability to unload weapons

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AgentOtaku said:
Or howabout adding the ability to unload weapons
when you sell a weapon any ammo left in the gun when you sell it is added to your inventory.

If that's what you meant by "unload". ;)

BeeDog

Yay, just got my Platinum trophy. It was a pain in the ass to try and get The Works trophy alone with two controllers, but I found an easy way to do it. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just went from 3-3 to 6-1 on Pro WITHOUT infinite ammo. Holy shit awesome.

Irving
was actually the hardest part for us, died a disturbing amount of times there.

Tain

Just got to about 4-1 (I think), playing with the GF who finished it on her own way ahead of me. Played a handful of Mercenaries, too, which seems much better than RE4's.

I think it's... I don't know. It's clearly a really competent modern action game; a lot of polish, really flashy, all of that. When you have a psuedo-open area and are flooded, it's still a lot of fun, but I just can't get into so many of the other scenes here. The giant golemn thing fight? Offensive. Irving's fight? Not much better. Hell, a lot of the main game has been way too easy; where RE4 was a great game with a neat diversion in Mercenaries, I'm starting to feel like RE5 is a great game in Mercenaries with a passable campaign.

Feindflug

Papercuts said:
I just went from 3-3 to 6-1 on Pro WITHOUT infinite ammo. Holy shit awesome.

Umm...you can play with infinite ammo on Pro and still get the achievement for Pro difficulty? If yes that's really stupid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:
Umm...you can play with infinite ammo on Pro and still get the achievement for Pro difficulty? If yes that's really stupid.
Calling a dev stupid for giving the player the option how they want to tackle a scenario is a bit of a dated concept nowadays. Pro mode still offers a fair challenge even with infinite ammo, so it's not like you can just cruise through the game and unlock the Pro achievement, it still requires a lot of effort on the players part, and a fair understanding of a levels structure.

If you want to play through without infinite ammo and earn the achievement that way, you're free to do so, if not, then that works to.

more options = more opportunities for people to have fun

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Why isn't my infinite ammo working? I upgraded the L Hawk to the max, bought the limit thing in bonus features and turned on infinite ammo to yes before play and yet it's still using ammo.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Kadey said:
Why isn't my infinite ammo working? I upgraded the L Hawk to the max, bought the limit thing in bonus features and turned on infinite ammo to yes before play and yet it's still using ammo.

Did you beat the game first?

zoukka

Rez said:
more options = more opportunities for people to have fun

lol wut? More like "more opportunities for manbabies to water down their experiences with the game"

What next, a quicksave for RE6?

Rash said:
As I've said before, RE5 improved and expanded on most of the features introduced in RE4 (mostly with unlockables, Mercenaries, etc.), and this is what adds to the game significantly and is what can potentially make it as good or better than RE4 based on your perspective.
You're joking right? Capcom dumbed down most of the features from RE4. But... you know... feel free to tell me which features were expanded in your opinion.

I really think some of you have to play RE4 again to see how bad RE5 actually is.

USD

Kadey said:
You have to go to the Special Settings menu and turn on infinite ammo there as well as when selecting settings for a game. If you're joining another player's game, make sure that they have infinite ammo set to yes.

Top Bottom