• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Neiteio said:
I think you and I are in the minority here, but I love Safari Chris as well. I'm not a fan of his render on the Costume Select screen -- it looks a bit stiff and awkward -- but I love his smug mugshot on Mercenaries' character select, and how he looks in all the cutscenes (put on the Safari threads and rewatch "Sky-high Skirmish" -- so badass). It helps that I've spent so much time playing as him in Mercenaries, where his shotgun makes quick work of majini, and his twin rockets can annihilate anything stronger.

Plus, I love the idea of some flamboyant adventurer using zebra duds for savannah camoflague. :lol

Looking at the screen right now with sepia tone mode on, he looks more like a bipedal tiger with sunglasses and gatling gun. Basically, his very presence says "GTFO or die". :lol

Blueblur1

@Duck Amuck Yeah. I have infinite ammo but I haven't been using it. Can I or will the S rank not count if I do?

My accuracy nets me an A or B but enemies routes nets me an A (49). And I am killing the "boss."

Blueblur1

Duck Amuck said:
Are you killing the bugs and majini in the area where you fall after pushing that coffin?

And yes, turn on infinite ammo, it may help. It doesn't matter, and it counts.
Yep. BTW, the enemies Sheva (AI) kills count for the enemies routed tally, right?

Neiteio

Sectus said:
Woo! 44th place on solo mines!
Nice! What character did you use? Reapers are a pain in the ass, as are copious numbers of Big man Majini (game's name for 'em, not mine).

Anyone have any tips for STARS Chris? I can wrap my head around everyone else, but I never know what to do with him. His SIG 556 has only 65 bullets per clip, so I usually stop 'n pop kneecaps for melee kills, saving his magnum ammo for big bads and cephalos. This method isn't particularly fast, though. Also, what's the best way to use his grenade launcher's electric rounds? And should the SIG be used more for drilling foes to death, gambling that MG ammo will present itself? I found this strategy worked well enough to get 100,000+ with HUNK's tmp in RE4, so it might work here.

While we're talking Mercs, what's everyone's favorite three characters and stages? I'm leaning toward 1) Safari Chris, 2)
Jill (BSAA)
and 3)
Wesker (Midnight)
, and 1) Prison, 2) Ship Deck and 3) Public Assembly. My co-op partner usually uses
Wesker (STARS)
in splitscreen Mercs, which is a good fit with most characters save for when him and Safari are competing for shotgun shells. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TheExorzist said:
Yeah, that's exactly the point. I don't understand how anyone here can say that everyone who liked RE4 will like RE5. The core gameplay is of course identical, but besides from that the game has nothing to do with RE4.

Where should I start? Take the entire economy system. As mentioned a couple of times already it is dumbed down in every single way. Merchant out, thousands of weapons in (think about why RE4 didn't have so much weapons...), don't really hide the treasures and don't let you combine it any more, give you now fucking money for selling ammo (what actually drives me fucking nuts since I always have too much ammo) etc. etc.
As said before the motivating aspect in RE4 was that you actually were able to upgrade all the weapons you carry in one playthrough IF you didn't waste money and collect every treasure.

Besides from that the entire way the games goes on got dumbed down. It's just as straight forward as it could get. You don't need to back track once in the entire game and you can solve every single riddle in the room where it is. On top of that there are countless "lock doors, throw tousands of enemys at you"-rooms throughout the game.

Do I even have to mention one more point?

I would prefer the old combine treasure method, but you didn't have to search for treasure in 4 ever since you could just buy a map that shows u where it all is. I played on veteran also, and I nevfer, ever had too much ammo at any point in the game. Whenever I thought I had a good stockpile of it would run into a situation and blow through almost all of it.

As far as having so many weapons, who says you have to buy them all in your first play through? I fully upgraded 2 weapons on my first go round and at least this way there is more to work toward. Plus on top of that there is the unlocking the extra weapon when u fully upgrade certain ones in a weapon class. The "too many weapons" argument is, in all honestly, just really silly.

Also, when was the last time you played Resident Evil 4? All the puzzles are confined to one room as well. Unless you count having to walk somewhere to open a box and get a door plate, then walk back and put it in as a puzzle. I think RE 4 is a better than RE5, but what your saying here isnt the reason.

Blueblur1

Duck Amuck said:
No, you must kill the enemies not the ai.

Equip and unlimited magnum like the Lhawk and one shot every enemy in the stage.
Thanks! I took Sheva's weapons away and got 64 kills netting me the S rank.

LAMBO

I think i just killed more zombies in the RE5 demo than all the other RE games combined. I may wait a while to buy this one, can't decide if i like it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:
While we're talking Mercs, what's everyone's favorite three characters and stages? I'm leaning toward 1) Safari Chris, 2)
Jill (BSAA)
and 3)
Wesker (Midnight)
, and 1) Prison, 2) Ship Deck and 3) Public Assembly. My co-op partner usually uses
Wesker (STARS)
in splitscreen Mercs, which is a good fit with most characters save for when him and Safari are competing for shotgun shells. :lol

My favorite is easily
S.T.A.R.S. Wesker
with
Tribal Sheva
in second and probably
Battle Suit Jill
in third but I typically stick with the first two.

For stages I want to say Public Assembly, Village, and Ship Deck, but that's mainly because those are the stages I do the best on. It's too hard for me to not mention how awesome Prison is though, the challenge of it has still made it the one stage I cannot get above an A rank on.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The kill 2 enemies with flash grenade achievements. How are you supposed to get that when it doesn't kill enemies?

And what does everyone think is the best sniping rifle?

burgerdog

LAMBO said:
I think i just killed more zombies in the RE5 demo than all the other RE games combined. I may wait a while to buy this one, can't decide if i like it.

While I really love Public Assembly, the rest of the game is much better.

Kadey, it kills plaga when it exposes itself. Load up chapter 4-1 and throw the flash at a bunch of spiders, it will kill them all and give you the achievement.

Papercuts

Kadey said:
The kill 2 enemies with flash grenade achievements. How are you supposed to get that when it doesn't kill enemies?

And what does everyone think is the best sniping rifle?

Flash nades kill exposed Plagas instantly. I got that when I saw two of the exposed tentactle things, though most people would tell you just to go to 4-1 and wait for the spiders since a flash will instantly kill them as well.

My favorite sniper is probably the H&K PSG-1, though I'll use the Draganov interchangably anyway. I stuck with the bolt action in RE4 due to how awesome it looked(seriously), but I find it a lot harder to stick with on 5.

Ummm, so, yeah, did anyone take a hard look at the Jill figurine? A friend sent me this image and I was pretty sure it was fake, but it's not. All they did was increase the contrast. I did a search for "vagina" in this thread, but didn't find anything :lol :lol. Apologies in advance if this is a repost.

Needless to say, this image is NSFW, but it is 100% legit. Now that we've got that whole 'racism' thing outta the way
NSFWhttp://i42.tinypic.com/opsrqo.jpgNSFW

Davey Cakes

burgerdog said:
While I really love Public Assembly, the rest of the game is much better.

Kadey, it kills plaga when it exposes itself. Load up chapter 4-1 and throw the flash at a bunch of spiders, it will kill them all and give you the achievement.
Yeah, and Public Assembly is pretty much, what, the second area of the game? It's very early on, and serves as nothing more than a taste of what's to come.

masterkajo

burgerdog said:
Take it to the Max ;/ It's probably the only achievement I won't get, I don't want to do any money glitches!
Well you could just play some chapters over and over to get enough money (that is what I did). I played chapter 4-1 and 5-1 and you can get about 50.000.- per playthrough per chapter. To upgrade all weapons you need ~900.000.- which would mean you have to play through the chapters about 18 times (if you would start from the scratch - but since you already played through the game...) It took me ~10 playthroughs of chapter 4-1 to upgrade all weapons. Just spread it out over a week and there you go! BTW, it took me ~20 min. for a playthrough of chapter 4-1.

JB1981

Neiteio said:
Type B is what I use, and essentially you aim your gun with L1, your knife with L2 and fire/swipe with R1. You perform context-sensitive actions -- such as straights, hooks, uppercuts, stomps, kicks, neckbreakers, haymakers, et al -- with Square, the left face button. (This is the PS3 version.) You move with the left stick, run with X and quick-turn by pulling back and tapping X. You don't have the ability to strafe, but there wasn't strafing in RE4 so I've never needed it. The top face button, Triangle, brings up your real-time inventory, and Circle, the button on the right, calls your partner or, if held, gives you the option to tap up on the D-pad to put Sheva in Attack mode, or tap down on the D-pad to put her in Cover (I recommend Attack for bosses, Cover for everything else). Also, note you can quick-select items assigned to the top, left, right and bottom of your inventory grid by hitting the corresponding direction on the d-pad, and that you can taunt to attract enemies' attention by pushing in both analog sticks simultaneously.

I tried control type B and I can't use it. I'm gonna stick with D, works best for me. I'm finding the boss battles so far to be pretty weak. I think the game is at its best when you are able to shoot at enemies in relatively open areas. The chase sequence on the humvee was pretty neat too

Neiteio

Papercuts said:
My favorite is easily
S.T.A.R.S. Wesker
with
Tribal Sheva
in second and probably
Battle Suit Jill
in third but I typically stick with the first two.

For stages I want to say Public Assembly, Village, and Ship Deck, but that's mainly because those are the stages I do the best on. It's too hard for me to not mention how awesome Prison is though, the challenge of it has still made it the one stage I cannot get above an A rank on.
Wow, no overlap with my characters! If you're a PS3 user we'll have to play co-op someday!

And I'm addicted to Prison, so I'm sure together we could A-rank it. Hell, Prison's one of the few Mercs stages I've S-ranked. Yeah it's tough, but I guess it's a case where enthusiasm for the stage prevailed. With your favorite characters it can be a little tougher, but with my main man Safari Chris and his rockets, the red Executioners die very, very quickly. I love how "metal" Prison is, too: gushing volcanos, dark dungeons, corpses on racks and in chains and skewered on spikes and hanging from hooks. The whole place is so evil, which makes it so satisfing to clean house, if you would. Who said the game lacked horror? :D

demigod

Valkyr Junkie said:
Ummm, so, yeah, did anyone take a hard look at the Jill figurine? A friend sent me this image and I was pretty sure it was fake, but it's not. All they did was increase the contrast. I did a search for "vagina" in this thread, but didn't find anything :lol :lol. Apologies in advance if this is a repost.

Needless to say, this image is NSFW, but it is 100% legit. Now that we've got that whole 'racism' thing outta the way

Yeah it was posted before. I was wondering why the colors were so different from mine. It's very hard to see it with default colors.

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
Wow, no overlap with my characters! If you're a PS3 user we'll have to play co-op someday!

And I'm addicted to Prison, so I'm sure together we could A-rank it. Hell, Prison's one of the few Mercs stages I've S-ranked. Yeah it's tough, but I guess it's a case where enthusiasm for the stage prevailed. With your favorite characters it can be a little tougher, but with my main man Safari Chris and his rockets, the red Executioners die very, very quickly. I love how "metal" Prison is, too: gushing volcanos, dark dungeons, corpses on racks and in chains and skewered on spikes and hanging from hooks. The whole place is so evil, which makes it so satisfing to clean house, if you would. Who said the game lacked horror? :D

I'm on the 360. :p

I've managed to SS every stage except Mines and Prison, but I atleast S ranked Mines once. Everytime I get on a roll on Prison it usually means being right in the middle of a ton of guys and I end up dying. I've been hit by an axe while grappled by an enemy more times than I could ever count. :lol

I was pretty stunned by how awesome the level looked the first time I played, I still see a lot more details I missed last time each time I try it.

Neiteio said:
I can't change the fact you hate RE5 (nor that you keep torturing yourself by posting in its thread with self-pity that it exists), nor can you change the fact I'm capable of seeing plenty to love in both RE4 and RE5. It's what we call opinions.
True. Let's just leave it at that.
I guess I'm just frustrated to see how much people enjoy this game (for reasons I unfortunately don't understand) and with that doom my most favourite series since over 10 years to a) never be pure singleplayer again and b) becoming a totally exchangable straight forward shooter like thousands of others out there.

TheExorzist said:
True. Let's just leave it at that.
I guess I'm just frustrated to see how much people enjoy this game (for reasons I unfortunately don't understand) and with that doom my most favourite series since over 10 years to a) never be pure singleplayer again and b) becoming a totally exchangable straight forward shooter like thousands of others out there.

resident evil 6 is going into a completely different direction - who knows if itll have coop.
and if you think re5 is a straight forward shooter, you havent played the whole game.

off topic but 30 hours in the game i jus realised that pressing x in the inventory screen during the game moves the items around. DOH! i knew you could do it post-game but in-game? mind blowing. also.. spoiler ish question:

jill wesker fight on veteran - did me and my friend do it wrong and what? because it took 12+ tries to get the shit off jill

Neiteio

Papercuts said:
I'm on the 360. :p

I've managed to SS every stage except Mines and Prison, but I atleast S ranked Mines once. Everytime I get on a roll on Prison it usually means being right in the middle of a ton of guys and I end up dying. I've been hit by an axe while grappled by an enemy more times than I could ever count. :lol

I was pretty stunned by how awesome the level looked the first time I played, I still see a lot more details I missed last time each time I try it.
What I love about Prison is how sometimes you don't see or hear the red Executioner right away, but instead you see the walls starting to light up from the glow of his flaming axe. It reminds me of the Balrog in "LotR: Fellowship of the Ring," how the halls lit up when the fiery beast was just around the corner. When I'm in tight quarters holding down one end of a hallway and I see the stone walls turning golden yellow, I say "Oh shit" and jump out the nearest window. :lol

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
What I love about Prison is how sometimes you don't see or hear the red Executioner right away, but instead you see the walls starting to light up from the glow of his flaming axe. It reminds me of the Balrog in "LotR: Fellowship of the Ring," how the halls lit up when the fiery beast was just around the corner. When I'm in tight quarters holding down one end of a hallway and I see the stone walls turning golden yellow, I say "Oh shit" and jump out the nearest window. :lol

The first time I saw him, I opened a door and he already had it above his head and swung down right away. I have a natural fear of fighting him because of it. :lol

Neiteio

Papercuts said:
The first time I saw him, I opened a door and he already had it above his head and swung down right away. I have a natural fear of fighting him because of it. :lol
Yeah, the red Executioner's a quick one. I read in a guide by Absolute Steve at GameFAQs that the red Executioner has 180% speed and the statistical resilience and attack power of a Pro-level axeman the best players would encounter (the game scales difficulty to keep it challenging no matter how good you are). So he's fleet-footed, and when he catches you it's gonna hurt. O_O

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm, after beating the game, I find that I liked the boss fights in RE4 a lot more than in RE5. Also, somehow, I didn't get the same sense of atmospheric fear and tension like I did in RE4. Was it due to the co-op? I'm not sure.

Also, kinda bummed at the not being able to buy a special weapon specific bonus upgrade after fully upgrading a weapon (aside from infinite ammo). I wish I could get an infinite ammo grenade launcher, as well.

I completed the game (last 3 bosses were a blast, but not as good as RE4, except for the final boss) and have a taste of the mercenaries mode, I made 20k with Chris it my first run, not bad, but I will need a few more tries to mark a strategy and have a nice grasp of the layout, seems like the levels are more complex than in RE4 mercenaries.

So I've pretty much done everything in the game but the money-related stuff (upgrading all weapons, acquiring all weapons, etc.)....
Any tips on how to rack up the cash, aside from playing 4-2 (I think? The one with like 3 treasure chests, tons of jewel buckets, etc.) over and over?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Do you have to have all the treasures in your inventory physically to get the achievement? Or can you just get them, sell them as you get them, but still get all types and get the achievement?

Kadey said:
Do you have to have all the treasures in your inventory physically to get the achievement? Or can you just get them, sell them as you get them, but still get all types and get the achievement?

selling them is fine

Risette

A Good Citizen
JB1981 said:
I tried control type B and I can't use it. I'm gonna stick with D, works best for me. I'm finding the boss battles so far to be pretty weak. I think the game is at its best when you are able to shoot at enemies in relatively open areas. The chase sequence on the humvee was pretty neat too
Did you try Type-C controls? They're basically a
perfect*
combination of A and D.

* - my opinion

Sectus

Neiteio said:
Nice! What character did you use? Reapers are a pain in the ass, as are copious numbers of Big man Majini (game's name for 'em, not mine).

Anyone have any tips for STARS Chris? I can wrap my head around everyone else, but I never know what to do with him. His SIG 556 has only 65 bullets per clip, so I usually stop 'n pop kneecaps for melee kills, saving his magnum ammo for big bads and cephalos. This method isn't particularly fast, though. Also, what's the best way to use his grenade launcher's electric rounds? And should the SIG be used more for drilling foes to death, gambling that MG ammo will present itself? I found this strategy worked well enough to get 100,000+ with HUNK's tmp in RE4, so it might work here.

Jill (BSAA)
and 3)
Wesker (Midnight)
Wesker (STARS)
It was actually Chris Stars I used for my playthrough (123k was the final score by the way). Ammo for the assault rifle was no problem for me, I found enough to keep going. I imagine it might be a problem if I played coop with someone using a handgun though.

I think the big strength for Chris Stars is his grenade launcher, although you need a little bit of luck on your side. If an enemy drops explosive or nitrogen rounds, that's a big bonus. At least the 12 electric rounds you start with can be used to kill las plagas relatively quickly, or to stun the reaper. Although I'd recommend to simply shoot the reaper with the magnum while he's walking, if you hit his weak spot it's an instant kill. I also use the magnum against the big man majini (2 or 3 shots will kill them) and whenever I need a quick kill to keep the combo going.

I'm not sure what my favourites are, most of them seem to have very nice advantages.

Jill
BSAA - The SMG is a great weapon overall, useful in just about any situation. She reloads it quite fast too. Her pistol is godlike against majini if you keep getting headshots. And starting with 5 flash grenades is insanely useful in village or ancient ruins. I also think her outfit looks really cool. Makes me wish they would have made that flashback scene a playable chapter.

Jill
Battlesuit - One of the easiest characters to use in my opinion. That sniper rifle reloads fast and quickly kills anything. The SMG is a great backup weapon. If you keep finding rifle ammo, it's hard to go wrong with this character. It's also a character which you usually see in top 10 lists (although I suspect it's mostly due to spamming melee attacks).

Wesker
Midnight - Also an easy character to use. Magnum kills everything in a few shots (literally), and the pistol works okay against majini. Also a character you see in most top 10 lists (I'm pretty sure they just do the headshot stun->melee attack and the magnum whenever a miniboss spawns).

Wesker
Stars - Ammo is a problem with this character, but all his weapons are very powerful. Pistol kills majini in just 2 shots. Shotgun can easily kill multiple majini in 1 shot. Magnum works pretty well against minibosses. As long as you can deal with the slow reloads (which you can get around by doing manual reloads in the inventory) and you're able to find ammo, this is one of the most powerful characters.

Sheva Tribal - Just pure fun. I love that bow. And nitrogen rounds is basically just like getting 30 extra seconds and some bonus points.

The other characters I'm not sure of. Chris BSAA seems insanely weak, I can't use him at all. Chris Safari is okay, but I don't find much use for the rocket launchers and if I want to use a shotgun I'd just go with another character. Sheva BSAA is a good starting character but so much worse when compared to battlesuit. I've only barely tried Sheva clubbin but that seems like a character which would quickly run out of ammo, and bolt action rifle? I don't think that would work for mercenaries at all.

As for the stages I pretty much like them all equally. The only stages I don't like a lot right now are prison and missile area, and that's simply because I don't know the maps yet. I keep getting lost each time I try them.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Revolutionary said:
So I've pretty much done everything in the game but the money-related stuff (upgrading all weapons, acquiring all weapons, etc.)....
Any tips on how to rack up the cash, aside from playing 4-2 (I think? The one with like 3 treasure chests, tons of jewel buckets, etc.) over and over?

I hear the egg trick gives 90k in like a couple of minutes though after having a full inventory of them. I haven't tried it myself.
selling them is fine

Thanks.

edgefusion

Sooo.... did the spoiler tags break or something? C'mon guys some of us have only just got the game (it is a new release afterall) and could do without talk of axemen and prison.

Risette

A Good Citizen
RoboPlato said:
What's the egg trick?
Player 1 gives Player 2 rotten/golden egg(s), one of them saves and one of them doesn't. Switch, repeat, switch until full inventory. Online co-op only on PS3 though, but you can do it by yourself on 360.

Dartastic

How does one unlock the
Jill figurine?
I wanna see it myself. Also, anyone want to do the egg trick with me? I want some moneyyyy. =)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dartastic said:
How does one unlock
the Jill figurine?
I wanna see it myself. Also, anyone want to do the egg trick with me? I want some moneyyyy. =)
You should've tagged that. Anyways, which version do you have? I've had 4 rotten eggs waiting to be mass produced for a few days now. :lol
I have the PS3 version btw, PM me or post your ID if you do too.

Dartastic

Fyrus said:
You should've tagged that. Anyways, which version do you have? I've had 4 rotten eggs waiting to be mass produced for a few days now. :lol

I'm on the 360. =/ Also, sorry for not tagging. Nobody has gotten on anyone else's ass about not tagging A NAME OF SOMEONE THAT WE ALL KNOW IS IN THE GAME. :lol

Fyrus said:
I'm down. PS3 version.

PSN: Revolutionary

Snaku

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:

:lol Wow.

Sectus

cvxfreak said:
Versus Mode.

OP will have more information soon.
Speaking of which, does anyone know of any easy way to buy japanese microsoft points? The versus DLC is released march 26th on the japanese marketplace, and I want it then :p

Top Bottom