• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
BeeDog said:
Yay, just got my Platinum trophy. It was a pain in the ass to try and get The Works trophy alone with two controllers, but I found an easy way to do it. :lol

How?

edit
I've found a video. It worked. =)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
zoukka said:
lol wut? More like "more opportunities for manbabies to water down their experiences with the game"

What next, a quicksave for RE6?
Ehhh... that's not really comparable. You might argue that it is watering down the experience, but when my partner and I die on a very regular basis in Pro mode, even with infinite ammo, and are forced to strategise and gain a real understanding of a map's structure at a level we never had to without infinite ammo on during Vet mode, I don't feel like I'm dumbing down the experience. The amount of extra hurdles added to the gameplay experience during Pro mode means that removing the ammo hurdle doesn't dumb down the experience, rather, it just removes an (arguably) unnecessary layer of frustration.

In my opinion, of course.

TheExorzist said:
You're joking right? Capcom dumbed down most of the features from RE4. But... you know... feel free to tell me which features were expanded in your opinion.

I really think some of you have to play RE4 again to see how bad RE5 actually is.
I played through the entire Island section of RE4 two days ago, and played through the entire game twice (once on Normal, once in New Game +) prior to RE5's release in mid-February.

RE4 and RE5 are very different games. Comparing them is like comparing an apple with an orange from a, as pretentious as it sounds, "gameplay experience" perspective.

Cite some examples of the dumbed down gameplay for me, and I'll give my opinion on them. It seems to me that you're stuck focusing on what RE5 isn't as opposed to what it is.

Feindflug

Rez said:
Calling a dev stupid for giving the player the option how they want to tackle a scenario is a bit of a dated concept nowadays. Pro mode still offers a fair challenge even with infinite ammo, so it's not like you can just cruise through the game and unlock the Pro achievement, it still requires a lot of effort on the players part, and a fair understanding of a levels structure.

If you want to play through without infinite ammo and earn the achievement that way, you're free to do so, if not, then that works to.

more options = more opportunities for people to have fun

Well I didn't call Capcom anything but that's a stupid/bad decision IMO, infinite ammo is and should be considered a cheat and achievements/trophies should be locked when cheats are enabled (like in the 99.9% of the games) don't you think? Pro mode won't be easy even with infinite ammo on but it will be much easier than playing the game normally because you don't have to worry about ammunition/managing your inventory which is really important in the game especially on a higher difficulty like Pro...anyway a worthless option IMO that offers nothing, but even if they wanted to add this option achievements/leaderboards should've been locked IMO.

What's stupid is that I'll play the game normally but a lot of people will get the achievement/trophy with much less effort and that's not fair...I'm definitely not an achievement whore but highest difficulty achievements for me are something like challenges that I get rewards for and I think it's unfair to get the same reward with someone who is cheating and having a lot less hard time than me and all the people that play the game normally.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Feindflug said:
What's stupid is that I'll play the game normally but a lot of people will get the achievement/trophy with much less effort and that's not fair...I'm definitely not an achievement whore but highest difficulty achievements for me are something like challenges that I get rewards for and I think it's unfair to get the same reward with someone who is cheating and having a lot less hard time than me and all the people that play the game normally.

But we do play the game normally, just like the developer intended us to do. Is it really such a big deal?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:
Well I didn't call Capcom anything but that's a stupid/bad decision IMO, infinite ammo is and should be considered a cheat and achievements/trophies should be locked when cheats are enabled (like in the 99.9% of the games) don't you think? Pro mode won't be easy even with infinite ammo on but it will be much easier than playing the game normally because you don't have to worry about ammunition/managing your inventory which is really important in the game especially on a higher difficulty like Pro...anyway a worthless option IMO that offers nothing, but even if they wanted to add this option achievements/leaderboards should've been locked IMO.

I guess whether or not the achievement should be disabled with infinite ammo enabled is a bit of a messy sort of situation. Leaving the achievement enabled when infinite ammo is turned on allows for more people to gain all of the achievements (which most people are doing by exploiting the inventory system at the moment anyway), and gives more gamers (the ones who wouldn't have played through Pro without it) incentive to a) experience the game in a different way; and b) get more play time out of the game.

However, I do STRONGLY agree with the idea that the leaderboards should make a distinction between whether or not infinite ammo is used.

Feindflug

kamorra said:
But we do play the game normally, just like the developer intended us to do. Is it really such a big deal?

Cheats ON = not playing the game normally.

Infinite ammo is cool for some people I guess and I respect that but achievements/leaderboards should've been locked when cheats on IMO...that is all.

Feindflug

Rez said:
I guess whether or not the achievement should be disabled with infinite ammo enabled is a bit of a messy sort of situation. Leaving the achievement enabled when infinite ammo is turned on allows for more people to gain all of the achievements (which most people are doing by exploiting the inventory system at the moment anyway), and gives more gamers (the ones who wouldn't have played through Pro without it) incentive to a) experience the game in a different way; and b) get more play time out of the game.

However, I do STRONGLY agree with the idea that the leaderboards should make a distinction between whether or not infinite ammo is used.

Well I see what you mean but what's the point on getting achievements by exploiting the inventory/turning cheats on? For adding 50g on your gamerscore? I seriously can't get some people...

Anyway we agree on having at least distinctive leaderboards . :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:
Well I see what you mean but what's the point on getting achievements by exploiting the inventory/turning cheats on? For adding 50g on your gamerscore? I seriously can't get some people...

Anyway we agree on having at least distinctive leaderboards . :p
Let the record show that I'm actually pretty indifferent when it comes to achievements. I think they're neat, but I generally don't go out of my way to get them. =p

Rez said:
RE4 and RE5 are very different games. Comparing them is like comparing an apple with an orange from a, as pretentious as it sounds, "gameplay experience" perspective.
Yeah, that's exactly the point. I don't understand how anyone here can say that everyone who liked RE4 will like RE5. The core gameplay is of course identical, but besides from that the game has nothing to do with RE4.

Cite some examples of the dumbed down gameplay for me, and I'll give my opinion on them. It seems to me that you're stuck focusing on what RE5 isn't as opposed to what it is.
Where should I start? Take the entire economy system. As mentioned a couple of times already it is dumbed down in every single way. Merchant out, thousands of weapons in (think about why RE4 didn't have so much weapons...), don't really hide the treasures and don't let you combine it any more, give you now fucking money for selling ammo (what actually drives me fucking nuts since I always have too much ammo) etc. etc.
As said before the motivating aspect in RE4 was that you actually were able to upgrade all the weapons you carry in one playthrough IF you didn't waste money and collect every treasure.

Besides from that the entire way the games goes on got dumbed down. It's just as straight forward as it could get. You don't need to back track once in the entire game and you can solve every single riddle in the room where it is. On top of that there are countless "lock doors, throw tousands of enemys at you"-rooms throughout the game.

Do I even have to mention one more point?

Chinner

Banned
TheExorzist said:
Yeah, that's exactly the point. I don't understand how anyone here can say that everyone who liked RE4 will like RE5. The core gameplay is of course identical, but besides from that the game has nothing to do with RE4.

Where should I start? Take the entire economy system. As mentioned a couple of times already it is dumbed down in every single way. Merchant out, thousands of weapons in (think about why RE4 didn't have so much weapons...), don't really hide the treasures and don't let you combine it any more, give you now fucking money for selling ammo (what actually drives me fucking nuts since I always have too much ammo) etc. etc.
As said before the motivating aspect in RE4 was that you actually were able to upgrade all the weapons you carry in one playthrough IF you didn't waste money and collect every treasure.

Besides from that the entire way the games goes on got dumbed down. It's just as straight forward as it could get. You don't need to back track once in the entire game and you can solve every single riddle in the room where it is. On top of that there are countless "lock doors, throw tousands of enemys at you"-rooms throughout the game.

Might as well, considering only one of those points are valid (treasure).

Risette

A Good Citizen
TheExorzist said:

Am I the only one who finds this as positive? I prefer a highly linear, replayable (and actually enjoyable) experience (RE5) over an artificially long backtrack-athon that I don't even want to finish for a first time (RE4.)

Countless "those" rooms? I can only recall a few, and there wasn't a lot of enemies and they weren't really rooms.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheExorzist said:

As far as the economy is concerned, I think it's clear that it was balanced in such a way that it was expecting players to be playing the game more than once, or to even be jumping around the game in various co-op sessions. I think that RE4's system is superior, but with that being said, RE4's economy is a result of game that was built around it, whereas RE4's system wouldn't have worked in RE5. RE5's is very much a product of the way RE5 was built (for a highly replayable, co-op experience).

The treasure combining thing counts as a dumbing down, I guess. But once again, I'd say it's a result of the mechanics surrounding the game (the inventory system and the way it handles examining and combining key items). The combining treasure thing seems petty to me, but if it really worries you, there's not much I can really say.

RE5 actually plays out very similar to RE4. The only significant difference is the lack of backtracking. I enjoyed returning to familiar places in RE4, and I think it would've been kinda neat to return to some of the environments during the dark or something, but again, it wasn't something that really stood out to me.

The whole kill-room thing was prevalent in RE4 as well, but when the combat mechanics that RE4/5 offer are applied to that idea, it was never really a problem with me (I love the combat in RE4/5). Plus, in RE5 there is the whole co-op thing, meaning that every time you attempt a kill-room, the way you handle the situation, whether you like it or not, is going to be significantly different. The Public Assembly area from the demo is a good example of this. It's just one big playground.

There are big differences between RE4 and RE5, but I guess what was missing from RE5 all made sense to me in the context of the way the game was designed. Nothing felt dumbed down, as such. Things may have been streamlined in order to make to co-op experience a more seamless one, but ultimately the things left out felt justifiable to me. I guess if you felt what is missing from RE5 is what made RE4 so great, then RE5 might be disappointing. But to me, RE5 retains the core of what made RE4 so great, while dropping somethings that wouldn't have worked as well in a co-op environment, and adding in some new things that better suit the game's structure.

:)

But really, Capcom, would it have been so hard to include a Merchant voice-over in the menus? :(

Davey Cakes

TheExorzist said:
You're joking right? Capcom dumbed down most of the features from RE4. But... you know... feel free to tell me which features were expanded in your opinion.

I really think some of you have to play RE4 again to see how bad RE5 actually is.
You're right, in some ways.

When I talk about the "expanded features" I mostly mean the unlockables. Mercenaries is bigger and better, for example. There are more figurines, infinite ammo unlocks, never to mind achievements/trophies. Aren't there also more costumes?

However, I wouldn't disagree that with each plus, there's a potential minus. For example, RE5's economy is not as good as RE4's. Period. No more loveable Merchant. Crappy treasure system. No exclusive upgrades for weapons, which I'd probably take above "infinite ammo" (since I preferred it in RE4 when you'd have only specific weapons with infinite ammo, like the Chicago Typewriter and the Infinite Launcher), etc, etc.

I'm not one to just give RE5 a pass on everything. Most of the points people make when comparing it to RE4 are true though, in terms of the pacing, length, memorability of characters, and anything else. While the games have the same basic foundation, they are different under many terms. I enjoy RE5 very much, and I enjoyed RE4. While I find it hard to believe someone who liked RE4 can't find some enjoyment in RE5, I can certainly see the possibility of people only liking one or the other. Some may enjoy RE4 because it's a longer single player adventure. Some may enjoy RE5 only because it has co-op.

Believe me, I know the differences. I played through RE4 twice and started a third game right before RE5 came out.

Raider82

Neo Member
Don't know if this has been covered in the thread or not as I don't have time to read all the pages,
but why does Jill have blond hair in this game? In the previous ones she has brownish hair.
Just a little thing I found odd.

masterkajo

Raider82 said:
Don't know if this has been covered in the thread or not as I don't have time to read all the pages,
but why does Jill have blond hair in this game? In the previous ones she has brownish hair.
Just a little thing I found odd.
It is mentioned in the big room
where she was supposedly being held (with all the other test subjects) that due to the virus she is injected with her hair and skin bleached. (Or something along those lines...)

eso76

TheExorzist said:

well, economy system is very marginal to me and like someone else pointed out, RE4 is designed around a single player, one playthrough experience, while RE5 expects you to play through the game, or single chapters, several times.
We could be talking on how RE4 kept throwing new stuff at you for nearly 25 hours on your first playthrough, the ideas it had, the execution. RE4 was an incredibly complete package, especially when you consider it was a new formula for the series. RE5 certainly doesn't represent what 4 did when it was released, but claiming all key features were dumbed down isn't fair, and it's not true either.
As for co op...you could see that coming at some point. I believe ever since RE1 came out people wondered how it would be if the game could be played in coop; the 2 main characters thing, with different storilines often crossing paths always seemed to hint at that.
In fact i would really like another RE1 remake with more freedom and co op mode, where, unlike RE5, players are allowed (required?) to explore different rooms of the mansion separately with their paths only crossing a few times

demigod

Anyone else notice how the tone of the characters voice changes? And I'm not talking about when they're speaking through a microphone. One minute Chris/Wesker sounds young and the next minute they sound old and serious. Sheva seems to lose her accent from time to time.

The characters in RE5 seem dead and their lines aren't as memorable. They don't seem to have any sense of humor at all. I mean, who doesn't miss *Oh you pervert!*

I also don't like how they used Remake's Jill. I thought they made Jill in RE3 older because of the years between the 2. The plot about Wesker really stunk, can't believe they pulled that shit.

I thought Josh was a traitor, he had this weird evil look. Maybe they will let us play him as seperate ways. Does anyone else think Excella looks like Eva Mendez?

eso76

demigod said:
I thought Josh was a traitor, he had this weird evil look.

thought that too and i was SO GLAD capcom
didn't play the cheap backstabbing, double crossing plot twist game. At that point, the real coup de theatre was discovering he was NOT a traitor.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i played re4 like five times in a row. i don't see how someone can say it had no replayability.

my first time through, i just wanted to survive and win.
second time, i wanted to play around with the other weapons i didn't get to use the first time, explore better, and get more of the treasure.
third time, i played on professional and continued doing more optional stuff (killing right hand, for example)

and so on, messing around with the chicago typewriter, making different decisions regarding the attache case and when i upgraded weapons or bought new ones. . . just tons of stuff to explore there. it was rich with content and eminently replayable. there was no way you played through the game once and saw everything it had to offer, or did everything there was to do.

Rez said:
As far as the economy is concerned, I think it's clear that it was balanced in such a way that it was expecting players to be playing the game more than once, or to even be jumping around the game in various co-op sessions. I think that RE4's system is superior, but with that being said, RE4's economy is a result of game that was built around it, whereas RE4's system wouldn't have worked in RE5. RE5's is very much a product of the way RE5 was built (for a highly replayable, co-op experience).
But that doesn't change the fact that it's dumbed down. See it as it is: The way the whole upgrading system is presented in RE5, it could be in EVERY single action game where enemies have hit points. It's the cheapest way Capcom could have put it in the game. To be honest I really don't think the game gains anything from having that much weapons. It's just stupid, because you can carry all the weapons in your mysterious "between chapters" - inventory. Due to this it's easy to replay that game, collect as much money as possible and then just level up the next weapon to the end before using it. I honestly don't see a replayability here. Where's the challange? In RE4 you had to choose which weapons you want and could only level those up because you were not able to carry them all.
RE5 actually plays out very similar to RE4. The only significant difference is the lack of backtracking. I enjoyed returning to familiar places in RE4, and I think it would've been kinda neat to return to some of the environments during the dark or something, but again, it wasn't something that really stood out to me.
Well, to me it does. In fact RE5 was the first in the series which didn't have any backtracking at all. Hmm... It's funny I needed to play RE5 to ultimately realize how much RE4 had in common with the old parts - even though the different gameplay.
The whole kill-room thing was prevalent in RE4 as well, but when the combat mechanics that RE4/5 offer are applied to that idea, it was never really a problem with me (I love the combat in RE4/5). Plus, in RE5 there is the whole co-op thing, meaning that every time you attempt a kill-room, the way you handle the situation, whether you like it or not, is going to be significantly different. The Public Assembly area from the demo is a good example of this. It's just one big playground.
True, but this is only the case IF you play it in Coop. Playing the singleplayer doesn't give you much variation, and that's the point. While you maybe had such rooms in RE4 also, they were always presented in an different way. In RE5 Capcom totally relied on the Coop thing, because it's almost always the same. They just throw the enemies in and hope that you and your partner make the best out of it. How cheap is that? Seriously....

And because you mention the public area: Let me just state that this was one of the cheapest parts in the game. Did you see how it ends? It's like Capcom couldn't figure out how make the hordes of enemies vanish and then just said: "Fuck it, we blow the door and they're gone." I mean, I was like: "Where the fuck is every one all of a sudden?" For me, this scene stands for the entire game.
There are big differences between RE4 and RE5, but I guess what was missing from RE5 all made sense to me in the context of the way the game was designed. Nothing felt dumbed down, as such. Things may have been streamlined in order to make to co-op experience a more seamless one, but ultimately the things left out felt justifiable to me. I guess if you felt what is missing from RE5 is what made RE4 so great, then RE5 might be disappointing. But to me, RE5 retains the core of what made RE4 so great, while dropping somethings that wouldn't have worked as well in a co-op environment, and adding in some new things that better suit the game's structure.
Fair enough. Good statement. :)

edgefusion

I just started playing this after picking it up today, so far I'm not particularly fond of how close the camera is to Chris' back and ginormous triceps. He kinda blocks the view of a 3rd of the screen. I preferred RE4 where it was much further back until you entered aiming mode.

I also have a bit of a problem with Chris' VA sounding rather bored and like he's reading a book the whole time too.

Rez said:

The treasure combining thing counts as a dumbing down, I guess. But once again, I'd say it's a result of the mechanics surrounding the game (the inventory system and the way it handles examining and combining key items). The combining treasure thing seems petty to me, but if it really worries you, there's not much I can really say.

:)

But really, Capcom, would it have been so hard to include a Merchant voice-over in the menus? :(

Pretty much nails it. Nearly all of the changes make sense in context of RE 5 because it's a co-op based action game experience. All the stuff in RE4 makes sense because it's still at its core even with all the action a single player adventure game in a sense.

I don't care for the term "dumbing it down" because its a generic slur instead of actually evaluating whether the changes are more suited for an action game of this type.

Now someone can prefer that the series go in the direction of RE 4 or RE 5 but either direction necessitates changes in how you approach some of those designs.

Chinner

Banned
demigod said:
Anyone else notice how the tone of the characters voice changes? And I'm not talking about when they're speaking through a microphone. One minute Chris/Wesker sounds young and the next minute they sound old and serious. Sheva seems to lose her accent from time to time.

The characters in RE5 seem dead and their lines aren't as memorable. They don't seem to have any sense of humor at all. I mean, who doesn't miss *Oh you pervert!*

I also don't like how they used Remake's Jill. I thought they made Jill in RE3 older because of the years between the 2. The plot about Wesker really stunk, can't believe they pulled that shit.

I thought Josh was a traitor, he had this weird evil look. Maybe they will let us play him as seperate ways. Does anyone else think Excella looks like Eva Mendez?
I agree. I went into RE5 expecting the next 1984 but instead all I got was The Da Vinci Code.

mattso

Papercuts said:
I just went from 3-3 to 6-1 on Pro WITHOUT infinite ammo. Holy shit awesome.

Irving
was actually the hardest part for us, died a disturbing amount of times there.

my pro run so far has only been up to 3-1 but I haven't been using infinite ammo for it either.

I have been while I was treasure hunting though.

alexel

zoukka said:
lol wut? More like "more opportunities for manbabies to water down their experiences with the game"

What next, a quicksave for RE6?

The drop rate on ammo is so low in pro difficulty that you can never compensate for the amount you need to clear out enemies (
this is especially true in the later chapters where they have guns and you can't just run up to them and use the melee moves
). The only way to deal with this is to keep hoarding ammo you get from lower level difficulty playthroughs so the infinite ammo option is a nice alternative to having to grind, which I hate.

USD

I've been ignoring the story mode in favor of The Mercenaries. Still haven't fully upgraded most of the weapons or played through Professional. I do have a massive stockpile of 250,000 exchange points though. :lol

MoogPaul

One thing I do have to give them credit for is that when you beat the game on a higher difficulty, it gives you that achievement plus all the ones below it. Beat it on normal, you get the normal and easy completion achievement. Games that didn't do this always bothered me. Obviously if you can beat the game on hard, you can beat it on easy.

Edit: However, another thing that bothers me is that you can't have your AI partner do nothing. Trying to Be The Knife is a lot harder when your partner keeps on pumping bullets into the guy... I mean, I guess you can take all her guns away but still.

Pojo

Banned
Feindflug said:
Umm...you can play with infinite ammo on Pro and still get the achievement for Pro difficulty? If yes that's really stupid.
It defeats the purpose of having a harder difficulty. There are still tough spots, but how can the majority of the game be difficult with infinite rockets/machine gun?

Whatever. I'm just going to go into pro with what I have until I cave. :\

Edit: caved.

Sectus

I have to agree that infinite ammo on any difficulty feels like cheating. Infinite magnum and rocket launcher really removes just about all challenge in the game, even on pro difficulty. At least they made a toggle for it and a search filter. I'm a bit annoyed it doesn't even affect ranks or leaderboards, but then again the score system for those isn't that good anyway.

Neiteio

Aside from the fact RE4 now looks like shit and is virtually unplayable on an HDTV, making it obselete by modern-day standards (thankfully I also have an SDTV for the Wii), RE5 has online co-op for Campaign and Mercenaries that makes it the superior game in terms of how fun and memorable it can be, and on top of that RE5 has superior combat, with triple the number of melee moves including team combos and the much-needed ground finishers. I'd also say the weapons are more interesting; forgettable names aside, RE5 has weapons like the gatling gun, long bow, triple-barreled shotgun and a grenade launcher with a half-dozen ammo types including one that freezes foes in ice, while RE4 had... What? The mine thrower is the only notable weapon that doesn't have an equivalent in RE4, and who knows, maybe they'll add that sucker as DLC. And I love Sheva's AI; she's a mule like Ashley but she can defend herself, heal me and restock my ammo, and looks/sounds better while doing it.

RE5's monster variety is superior, too, which is a huge plus for me. Of the non-ganado characters, RE4 had novistadors, hounds, regenerators... While RE5 has kipepeo, bui kichwa, adjule, reapers, dulvians and
lickers
. RE5 has a majini equivalent for every ganado but offers more diversity; the soldiers finally have guns, making for the addictive cover system (yes, it's derivative of GoW, but still fun). The enemies in RE5 are more interactive, too; a tribal Majini will prompt you to dodge when it lunges at you, if it's not limbo-ing under your bullets or goomba-stomping you; a
licker
will prompt you to uppercut when it's in the air, and when it's knocked on its back you can drive your knife through its heart like a vampire. It's awesome.

And while it's purely subjective, I liked RE5's story A LOT more. There's some pathos to the characters this time around. Just look at the look on Sheva's face as she takes in the horror of the
Ndesu massacre
or all the kidnapped souls at the
Experimental Facility's capsule chamber.
Look how Chris laments his people's expendibility, and how he shows compassion for others. The fact the characters in RE5 have fears and doubts and at one point want to split and run goes a long way toward humanizing them, and making them relatable in a way Leon "sucks to be him" Kennedy could never touch in his apathy and bravado toward all around him. I guess it's a matter of preference, but I really like this about RE5. Then there's the epic nature of the continent-spanning story (makes a lot more sense how many Majini we fight here versus the fact one tiny village in RE4 somehow accomodated 300+ villagers), and there's the superior villain and threat (transforming all of humankind into uroboros seemed a BIT more pressing than Saddler continuing his research). The whole affair has more GRAVITY, and you don't have to know a lick of RE mythos to appreciate how much bigger RE5 feels than its predecessor.

As for treasure, I agree there should be a sell-all button, but I definitely don't miss combining treasures. They simply streamlined the process, and it's fun discussing your treasures with your partner and cataloguing them between games. As for the levels themselves, RE5 has RE4 beat in pacing. RE5 still has puzzle bits here and there, but the focus is more on the game's best quality -- combat -- with breathers in-between where you gather supplies and treasure, read files and hunt emblems, take in the details and anticipate the next enemy attack. It does well to serve the addicting back-and-forth between adrenaline and calm. All RE4 did differently was require you to find more pieces to a key, which itself simply involved more battles. And that's that.

Finally, the features and unlockables. Single-player, online and splitscreen co-op for all modes, leaderboards for all modes and levels, 46 figures to collect, 12 "major" files (some with 44 pages!), a cutscene viewer with 53 amazing scenes (plus the option to watch them all in sequence), three customes per character, three filters, infinite ammo for ALL weapons, 10 Mercenaries characters, 8 Mercenaries stages, Chapter Select, four difficulty levels, and so forth and so on. RE5 has the best unlockable extra content of any game outside of Smash Bros.

For me, the only downside to RE5 is that other recent purchases like SFIV are gathering dust when really, they deserve better. But RE5 is simply so much fun. I was awake at three in the morning playing Mercenaries splitscreen with a friend, and I swear, RE4 had nothing so satisfying as having one player launch a rocket into two Chainsaw Majini from one end of Ship Deck while the other player narrowly escapes the chainsaws by zipline. Damn.

And the best part is, we all win in the end because now we don't just have one RE4-style game, but TWO. I know a lot of people want a gameplay overhaul for RE6, but really, I hope they keep this gameplay for one more iteration. It'd make for the greatest game trilogy ever, imo.

JB1981

Just got to chapter 2-2. Never played RE4 but I'm really quite enjoying this game so far. I have grown accustomed to the controls but one thing I don't like is shooting things that are above you - the game forces your view down to the middle of the screen .. wish there was a way to tweak that. So far Sheva has not given me any problems either. I'll go ahead and assume she gets worse as the game progresses? I was pretty surprised how incredibly easy the first boss was ..... but I like the game so far. BTW, how terribly important is it that I upgrade Sheva's inventory along with my own?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nice post, neiteio. i agree that the core action in re5 is as strong as it ever was in re4, and i wouldn't mind that style being carried over to re6.

my problems with re5 are in the details; playing it has emphasized to me how much thought went into the smallest parts of re4, not just the drastic overhaul the mechanics received. given that these things would be reimplemented or paid closer attention to in future games, the core game itself is as solid as ever.

Neiteio

JB1981 said:
Just got to chapter 2-2. Never played RE4 but I'm really quite enjoying this game so far. I have grown accustomed to the controls but one thing I don't like is shooting things that are above you - the game forces your view down to the middle of the screen .. wish there was a way to tweak that. So far Sheva has not given me any problems either. I'll go ahead and assume she gets worse as the game progresses? I was pretty surprised how incredibly easy the first boss was ..... but I like the game so far. BTW, how terribly important is it that I upgrade Sheva's inventory along with my own?
If you're using a control setup like Type B that has manual camera control mapped to the right stick, you can look up at the creature with the right stick BEFORE aiming, and then when you aim you'll instantly be pointing in the direction you were looking. This is awesome in co-op when my buddy's being attack to my left, and I look over in his direction with the camera stick, and then aim to snap my character left and shoot his attacker.

Neiteio

JB1981 said:
Other than manual camera movement with the right stick, how does that set up handle zooming in, aiming and firing?
Type B is what I use, and essentially you aim your gun with L1, your knife with L2 and fire/swipe with R1. You perform context-sensitive actions -- such as straights, hooks, uppercuts, stomps, kicks, neckbreakers, haymakers, et al -- with Square, the left face button. (This is the PS3 version.) You move with the left stick, run with X and quick-turn by pulling back and tapping X. You don't have the ability to strafe, but there wasn't strafing in RE4 so I've never needed it. The top face button, Triangle, brings up your real-time inventory, and Circle, the button on the right, calls your partner or, if held, gives you the option to tap up on the D-pad to put Sheva in Attack mode, or tap down on the D-pad to put her in Cover (I recommend Attack for bosses, Cover for everything else). Also, note you can quick-select items assigned to the top, left, right and bottom of your inventory grid by hitting the corresponding direction on the d-pad, and that you can taunt to attract enemies' attention by pushing in both analog sticks simultaneously.

Neiteio said:
Aside from the fact RE4 now looks like shit and is virtually unplayable on an HDTV, making it obselete by modern-day standards (thankfully I also have an SDTV for the Wii), RE5 has online co-op for Campaign and Mercenaries that makes it the superior game in terms of how fun and memorable it can be, and on top of that RE5 has superior combat, with triple the number of melee moves including team combos and the much-needed ground finishers. I'd also say the weapons are more interesting; forgettable names aside, RE5 has weapons like the gatling gun, long bow, triple-barreled shotgun and a grenade launcher with a half-dozen ammo types including one that freezes foes in ice, while RE4 had... What? The mine thrower is the only notable weapon that doesn't have an equivalent in RE4, and who knows, maybe they'll add that sucker as DLC. And I love Sheva's AI; she's a mule like Ashley but she can defend herself, heal me and restock my ammo, and looks/sounds better while doing it.

RE5's monster variety is superior, too, which is a huge plus for me. Of the non-ganado characters, RE4 had novistadors, hounds, regenerators... While RE5 has kipepeo, bui kichwa, adjule, reapers, dulvians and
lickers
. RE5 has a majini equivalent for every ganado but offers more diversity; the soldiers finally have guns, making for the addictive cover system (yes, it's derivative of GoW, but still fun).
I stopped reading after this shit....

Neiteio

TheExorzist said:
I stopped reading after this shit....
Shame you didn't enjoy it. I really like whipping around a corner and blowing off a guy's head from two catwalks away with a quick-draw sniper shot.

And my other points still stand, but I guess you won't see them.

Neiteio said:
Shame you didn't enjoy it. I really like whipping around a corner and blowing off a guy's head from two catwalks away with a quick-draw sniper shot.
I do like that - but not in Resident Evil and not in a such cheasy way. Capcom clearly didn't intend to add this cover system in the game at all, but then they probably saw Gear of War 2 and said: "Fuck it, let's put this shit in our game as well."

And my other points still stand, but I guess you won't see them.
Why should I even take a look at them? Your first two paragraphs alone sound like Capcom's advertising department wrote them.

I'm trying to decide what weapons to buy infinite ammo for. Do you still need to worry about clip size and reloading, or can you just fire your handgun/rifle/shotgun continuously?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Neiteio said:
Aside from the fact RE4 now looks like shit and is virtually unplayable on an HDTV, making it obselete by modern-day standards (thankfully I also have an SDTV for the Wii)
Just thought I'd add this, you can mod the PC version to look really really good if it's up to the task.
Unfortunately my PC isn't and the PS2 version is basically unplayable on my TV (no hyperbole, everything is jaggy/shimmering and I'm stepping on traps, setting off wire bombs, etc because they're blending in with it all plus it just looks really unpleasing)

Anyways, here's the link to the blog post that had some info on RE4 PC modding. It looks really good imo (none of that photoshop sharpened texture BS either, which I find ruins the style RE4 went for)

MoogPaul

Cover systems are fine, soldiers with guns are fun but this is why we have games like Gears of War or Kill Zone or Call of Duty or etc etc etc
Resident Evil was a game that create a whole new genre. It spawned multiple copy cats. Now it''s becoming everything else. Not only is it really quite sad that it is happening, it's also sad that everyone seems to be so cool with it.

Neiteio

TheExorzist said:
I do like that - but not in Resident Evil and not in a such cheasy way. Capcom clearly didn't intend to add this cover system in the game at all, but then they probably saw Gear of War 2 and said: "Fuck it, let's put this shit in our game as well."
Cover is FUN. Seeing how GoW stole so much from RE4, I think RE5 borrowing GoW's solid cover concept is hardly heresy. It works and it serves the game well at the end when the enemies try to stop you with everything they got.

Why should I even take a look at them? Your first two paragraphs alone sound like Capcom's advertising department wrote them.
Yeah, Capcom's PR would definitely say one of their bestselling titles of all time looks like shit now on an HDTV. Oh please. Most of the things I said are fact; RE5 has more modes, moves, monsters, interaction and unlockables, as I spelled out -- often with hard numbers -- in my post, and the game, while suffering from a few oversights (i.e. use herb when you pick it up) has so much polish and so much to play that my one-billionth replay of RE4 can easily sit on the backburner for years to come. How one regards the story is subjective, of course, but on the sheer scale of environments traveled, the villain's strength and what's at stake in the story (imminent doomsday vs. Saddler's ongoing science fair), RE5 has the more epic adventure as well.

I can't change the fact you hate RE5 (nor that you keep torturing yourself by posting in its thread with self-pity that it exists), nor can you change the fact I'm capable of seeing plenty to love in both RE4 and RE5. It's what we call opinions.

neoism

TheExorzist said:

WE get it dude, you didn't like the game, now go play RE4 or something.

Currently 5-2 Veteran, both Chris and Sheva still 2nd costume. I've actually come around to actually liking the look of Safari Chris, cool sunglasses and all. And the Chris AI with that monster Gatling gun is just wrecking shop, like he could teach the guys from Predator the way it's really done.

Also playing with the sepia filter on. Previous couple stages I played with the black and white grain, which made the
licker
stage truly feel like an old monster movie.

Still playing as Sheva with that longbow picking off what Chris didn't yet mow down. :lol

Neiteio

BuckRobotron said:
Currently 5-2 Veteran, both Chris and Sheva still 2nd costume. I've actually come around to actually liking the look of Safari Chris, cool sunglasses and all.
I think you and I are in the minority here, but I love Safari Chris as well. I'm not a fan of his render on the Costume Select screen -- it looks a bit stiff and awkward -- but I love his smug mugshot on Mercenaries' character select, and how he looks in all the cutscenes (put on the Safari threads and rewatch "Sky-high Skirmish" -- so badass). It helps that I've spent so much time playing as him in Mercenaries, where his shotgun makes quick work of majini, and his twin rockets can annihilate anything stronger.

Plus, I love the idea of some flamboyant adventurer using zebra duds for savannah camoflague. :lol

TChirath

Neo Member
a Master Ninja said:
I'm trying to decide what weapons to buy infinite ammo for. Do you still need to worry about clip size and reloading, or can you just fire your handgun/rifle/shotgun continuously?

You only need to worry about power and rate of fire. My recommendation is to buy infinite ammo for Hydra first as it's great for crowd control and with its long range, you can totally use it in place of any pistol. Hydra also has very good rate of fire compared to other shotguns. Next is a magnum of your choice, but I like L.Hawk more than Handcannon due to its rate of fire. Then I'd upgrade a rifle of your choice.

Top Bottom