• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Pojo

Banned
Revolutionary said:
I'm down. PS3 version.

PSN: Revolutionary
I added you for some reason awhile back and saw you online today, should've asked to do the egg thing. :p

Later, perhaps. Tons of people are willing to do it.

USD

Sectus said:
It was actually Chris Stars I used for my playthrough (123k was the final score by the way). Ammo for the assault rifle was no problem for me, I found enough to keep going. I imagine it might be a problem if I played coop with someone using a handgun though.

I think the big strength for Chris Stars is his grenade launcher, although you need a little bit of luck on your side. If an enemy drops explosive or nitrogen rounds, that's a big bonus. At least the 12 electric rounds you start with can be used to kill las plagas relatively quickly, or to stun the reaper. Although I'd recommend to simply shoot the reaper with the magnum while he's walking, if you hit his weak spot it's an instant kill. I also use the magnum against the big man majini (2 or 3 shots will kill them) and whenever I need a quick kill to keep the combo going.

I'm not sure what my favourites are, most of them seem to have very nice advantages.

Jill
BSAA - The SMG is a great weapon overall, useful in just about any situation. She reloads it quite fast too. Her pistol is godlike against majini if you keep getting headshots. And starting with 5 flash grenades is insanely useful in village or ancient ruins. I also think her outfit looks really cool. Makes me wish they would have made that flashback scene a playable chapter.

Jill
Battlesuit - One of the easiest characters to use in my opinion. That sniper rifle reloads fast and quickly kills anything. The SMG is a great backup weapon. If you keep finding rifle ammo, it's hard to go wrong with this character. It's also a character which you usually see in top 10 lists (although I suspect it's mostly due to spamming melee attacks).

Wesker
Midnight - Also an easy character to use. Magnum kills everything in a few shots (literally), and the pistol works okay against majini. Also a character you see in most top 10 lists (I'm pretty sure they just do the headshot stun->melee attack and the magnum whenever a miniboss spawns).

Wesker
Stars - Ammo is a problem with this character, but all his weapons are very powerful. Pistol kills majini in just 2 shots. Shotgun can easily kill multiple majini in 1 shot. Magnum works pretty well against minibosses. As long as you can deal with the slow reloads (which you can get around by doing manual reloads in the inventory) and you're able to find ammo, this is one of the most powerful characters.

Sheva Tribal - Just pure fun. I love that bow. And nitrogen rounds is basically just like getting 30 extra seconds and some bonus points.

The other characters I'm not sure of. Chris BSAA seems insanely weak, I can't use him at all. Chris Safari is okay, but I don't find much use for the rocket launchers and if I want to use a shotgun I'd just go with another character. Sheva BSAA is a good starting character but so much worse when compared to battlesuit. I've only barely tried Sheva clubbin but that seems like a character which would quickly run out of ammo, and bolt action rifle? I don't think that would work for mercenaries at all.

As for the stages I pretty much like them all equally. The only stages I don't like a lot right now are prison and missile area, and that's simply because I don't know the maps yet. I keep getting lost each time I try them.
I like Safari Chris because of the extra pistol power. Along with
both forms of Wesker,
he's the only character capable of an almost definite quick pistol headshot-to-melee kill, though with Safari Chris you have to make sure you are in close and in front of the character when punching (something you don't have to worry about with the other character). I like Clubbin' Sheva, the bolt action is mostly likely a balancing issue, as she also has a shotgun (all the other sniper characters have handguns and SMGs). It's certainly not as good as a semi-auto, but it still works well as a bailout weapon to keep the combo (as long as you don't miss) and is capable of taking out miniboss and large characters quickly. Of course I've been mostly playing duo, using a bolt-action in solo probably doesn't work as well. I find I have less ammo problems with her than some of the other characters with low starting ammo.

Erebus

I played the hell out of the game today: upgraded all my weapons to the max, bought everything and tried to "S" rank some of the chapters.

Now I'm missing 3 trophies to get the platinum.

Neiteio

Dartastic said:
How does one unlock the
Jill figurine?
I wanna see it myself. Also, anyone want to do the egg trick with me? I want some moneyyyy. =)
The "brainwashed" version (a.k.a. "Battle Suit" in Mercs) is made available in Bonus Features after completing Chapter 5, I believe. The "rare" version (a.k.a. "BSAA" in Mercs) is obtained after getting A-rank or higher on all levels, on any difficulty, in any combination of difficulties. I just got it right now as a matter of fact!

Sectus said:
The other characters I'm not sure of. Chris BSAA seems insanely weak, I can't use him at all. Chris Safari is okay, but I don't find much use for the rocket launchers and if I want to use a shotgun I'd just go with another character. Sheva BSAA is a good starting character but so much worse when compared to battlesuit. I've only barely tried Sheva clubbin but that seems like a character which would quickly run out of ammo, and bolt action rifle? I don't think that would work for mercenaries at all.
Ah, so much to respond to here:

- Chris [Safari]: You don't know what the rockets are good for? In skilled hands they allow you to deftly bypass two heavies; time it right and you'll catch a horde of majini in the blast as well. It makes S-ranking Prison easy. Drop the pistol and equip the shotty and you'll keep your combo going for a long time. (Good marksman can keep the pistol for precise distance shots.)

- Chris [BSAA]: I don't know, maybe it's my love of shotgun but I find I do very well with him. If you know the map inside and out and have a good feel for how many baddies spawn where, you can herd them together and insta-kill one after another with shotgun blasts for a steady combo. The heavies are more problematic, but shotties to the face will bring an axeman or chainsaw down eventually.

- Sheva [BSAA]: She's a capable character, but now that I think of it you may be right in saying
Jill [Battle Suit]
does everything better. They're both workable, so I guess the Sheva fans will be fine.

- Sheva [Clubbin']: This character's a beast. The bolt-action rifle is no problem with manual inventory reloads (which is how one should do all their reloading with all characters). You'll never need to shoot in such quick succession if you want to keep a combo going anyway (although I suppose if you miss, you might need to). The jailbreaker is a devastating shotgun, and her machine gun's swell for crowd control.

I see similar merits to the other characters you analyzed, and after reading your thoughts, Sectus, I think I want to try out
Jill [Battle Suit]
again. She's like the offensive capabilities of RE4's HUNK (drilling with the machine gun) and RE4's Wesker (sniper insta-kills). Nice patooty, too.

As for the stages I pretty much like them all equally. The only stages I don't like a lot right now are prison and missile area, and that's simply because I don't know the maps yet. I keep getting lost each time I try them.
My love for Prison's already well-known, but I had quite a bit of fun in splitscreen co-op on Missile Area the other day. I was experimenting with
Wesker [Midnight]
, placing proximity mines at the top of ladders on the narrow catwalks and trying to strike the head-stun/melee-kill balance with his pistol. It's a tricky map because there's a lot of two-way paths that take a solid 10 seconds to run from one end to another. And the Gatling gun Majini on the map can hit you from the other side if you're not careful. A risky stage, but rewarding (especially since Gatling gun Majini have higher point values than other heavies, according to the guide).

EDIT: Hmm, I just read USD's comments on keeping Safari's pistol for easy stun-to-melee kills, and I guess the notion of dropping said pistol is folly. Guess it depends on whether you're a shotty-holic. :lol

Sectus

Neiteio said:
- Chris [Safari]: You don't know what the rockets are good for? In skilled hands they allow you to deftly bypass two heavies; time it right and you'll catch a horde of majini in the blast as well. It makes S-ranking Prison easy. Drop the pistol and equip the shotty and you'll keep your combo going for a long time. (Good marksman can keep the pistol for precise distance shots.)
I should have worded it differently, that you should use rocket launchers against minibosses seems pretty obvious, but you only have 2 of them and each stage has more than 2 minibosses so that trick will feel a bit pointless after the second miniboss. When thinking about it, it does seem like it would be a lot more useful in coop though where you can rely on your partner to deal with the other minibosses.

Neiteio said:
Chris [BSAA]: I don't know, maybe it's my love of shotgun but I find I do very well with him. If you know the map inside and out and have a good feel for how many baddies spawn where, you can herd them together and insta-kill one after another with shotgun blasts for a steady combo. The heavies are more problematic, but shotties to the face will bring an axeman or chainsaw down eventually.
I agree that the shotgun is a very viable weapon overall. It's one of the most effective weapons when fighting majini, but well, I really don't see how he's supposed to fight the minibosses. I've been trying to get at least S ranks on every stage with every character and Chris BSAA is the character I always really struggle with. Shotgun may deal a fair amount of damage against minibosses but it usually takes 2-3 shots to stun one of them, and that's way too long. I end up simply running away from minibosses the majority of the time.

Neiteio said:
I see similar merits to the other characters you analyzed, and after reading your thoughts, Sectus, I think I want to try out
Jill [Battle Suit]
again. She's like the offensive capabilities of RE4's HUNK (drilling with the machine gun) and RE4's Wesker (sniper insta-kills). Nice patooty, too.
That reminds me of what I thought when I first started unlocking the mercs characters, it does seem like most of them were based on the characters from RE4. Chris BSAA has the exact same weapons as Leon. Sheva BSAA has the exact same weapons as Ada. Sheva Tribal is obviously similar to Krauser.
Jill BSAA
's reliance on her SMG reminds me Hunk, although that comparison kinda stops when you consider she has the pistol. And I'm pretty sure midnight has the same weapons as Wesker.

Doesn't really mean anything, but I think it's an interesting design decision. Perhaps that's the reason why Chris BSAA is so bad, they made sure he had the same weapons as Leon, but Leon's strength in RE4 mercs was the shotgun. And now they added 2 more characters with shotguns who's a lot better overall.

Majmun

I suuuuuuck at
the mercenaries

Played it almost ten 10 times and only got D's. :(

Btw:

Does anyone have collected 45 rotten eggs via online co-op? PLease share with me too.
I'd love to take your eggs for a couple of times. Desperately need gold.

PSN : HotiV

mattso

I actually just got the throat slit prompt for the first time after playing this game for 60 hours

I should try doing that more often

burgerdog

masterkajo said:
Well you could just play some chapters over and over to get enough money (that is what I did). I played chapter 4-1 and 5-1 and you can get about 50.000.- per playthrough per chapter. To upgrade all weapons you need ~900.000.- which would mean you have to play through the chapters about 18 times (if you would start from the scratch - but since you already played through the game...) It took me ~10 playthroughs of chapter 4-1 to upgrade all weapons. Just spread it out over a week and there you go! BTW, it took me ~20 min. for a playthrough of chapter 4-1.

Good stuff, I'll try this, thanks.

So how do you get the treasure in 6-1? I keep reading a bunch of different things about how to get it. It concerns the Majini that drops the cage or something, all sites and guides change their story about it.

edit: got it

Neiteio

If anyone wants to see what all the weapons look like, watch this video.

Can anyone recommend a machine gun? I'm looking for a good machine gun to max out and use infinite ammo with on higher difficulties, so capacity and reloading won't be an issue. I already fully upgraded the VZ61, but I'd like to give that to my splitscreen partner in favor of a bigger, more substantial gun that'd be more appropriate for Chris (not the gatling gun, though). The H&K MP5 has piercing but 120 firepower max, while the AK74 has no piercing but 250 firepower max. What should I do?

And for sniper rifles, if I have a fully upgraded Dragunov SVD to give my partner, should I go with the infinite H&K PSG-1 for semi-automatic and added scope?

Ultimately, I think a good Veteran/Pro Chris (decked out in Safari, of course) would pack an infinite Hydra (for long-distance shotgun blasts), infinite L. Hawk (for quick magnum shooting), infinite machine gun (which one, I leave it to you), and maybe an infinite rifle of some sort. Suggestions for what the corresponding Sheva player should use would be welcome as well. I already have the fully upgraded M92F, Ithaca M37, VZ61 and Dragunov SVD to give her.

Also, a question about the rocket launcher. It says to get it you have to beat the game in under five hours. Can I do this by replaying stages in Chapter Select so that my best combined times are less than five hours? And if so, do I have to do it all on the same difficulty level? Adding an infinite rocket launcher to Chris' arsenal should help with Pro as well.

mattso

Neiteio said:
If anyone wants to see what all the weapons look like, watch this video.

Can anyone recommend a machine gun? I'm looking for a good machine gun to max out and use infinite ammo with on higher difficulties, so capacity and reloading won't be an issue. I already fully upgraded the VZ61, but I'd like to give that to my splitscreen partner in favor of a bigger, more substantial gun that'd be more appropriate for Chris (not the gatling gun, though). The H&K MP5 has piercing but 120 firepower max, while the AK74 has no piercing but 250 firepower max. What should I do?

And for sniper rifles, if I have a fully upgraded Dragunov SVD to give my partner, should I go with the infinite H&K PSG-1 for semi-automatic and added scope?

Ultimately, I think a good Veteran/Pro Chris (decked out in Safari, of course) would pack an infinite Hydra (for long-distance shotgun blasts), infinite L. Hawk (for quick magnum shooting), infinite machine gun (which one, I leave it to you), and maybe an infinite rifle of some sort. Suggestions for what the corresponding Sheva player should use would be welcome as well. I already have the fully upgraded M92F, Ithaca M37, VZ61 and Dragunov SVD to give her.

Also, a question about the rocket launcher. It says to get it you have to beat the game in under five hours. Can I do this by replaying stages in Chapter Select so that my best combined times are less than five hours? And if so, do I have to do it all on the same difficulty level? Adding an infinite rocket launcher to Chris' arsenal should help with Pro as well.
why not the gatling gun? I think it's a blast.

But if not I think the 74 would be the best bet

I believe it is just the best combined time for <5 hours

Neiteio

mattso said:
why not the gatling gun? I think it's a blast.
If I don't have the gatling gun equipped at the moment, is it still on my back blocking half the screen? I play in splitscreen a lot, and while screen size is perfectly adequate on a 42-inch, I still need to have a clear view.

Otherwise, the gatling gun is tempting. O_O

EDIT: Fridge Rotom, lol.

mattso

Neiteio said:
If I don't have the gatling gun equipped at the moment, is it still on my back blocking half the screen? I play in splitscreen a lot, and while screen size is perfectly adequate on a 42-inch, I still need to have a clear view.

Otherwise, the gatling gun is tempting. O_O

EDIT: Fridge Rotom, lol.
yeah sadly he always is wearing it on his back.. and when you go to fire the hydra it really gets in the way so they don't mix well together

it's sad though because they're both so fun... but I usually play as sheva anyways so I guess whenever I do play as chris I just like to use the gatling gun

Just did the
qte way of killing wesker for the first time. Man stabby sheva is badass

and now I finally have all the treasures. WOOOO. Time to concentrate on s-ranks, pro, and mercs.

Neiteio

Sectus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2Np-Vn8Jw&fmt=22 - Video of my 123k score solo playthrough of Mines which got me my 44th rank on the leaderboards, woot!
Downloading now. I gotta see STARS Chris done right, and on the map with the nasty Reapers, no less. I watched it until the video outpaced what had loaded so far, and it stopped at you firing the grenade launcher at a time bonus. I can't wait to watch the rest and find out why! :lol

EDIT: Ooooh, the chicken! 2,000 points.

DOUBLE EDIT: You do the ladder reloading trick. I learned that one running for my life on Ship Deck!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That NSFW
----Jill-----
thing is even weirder when you watch the cutscene just where
Wesker leaves the room and leaves you to fight Jill alone
and you see that character do a flip, with it's legs spread in slowmotion facing the camera, and you realise that that "easter egg" is in the game's cutscenes as well. :lol

mattso

Rez said:
That NSFW
----Jill-----
and you see that character do a flip, with it's legs spread in slowmotion facing the camera, and you realise that that "easter egg" is in the game's cutscenes as well. :lol
I'm gonna have to try this later.. I need to take a closer look at the figurine too to verify for myself. I can't believe that.

mittelos

Rez said:
That NSFW
----Jill-----
I noticed that as well, but thought since I had seen that picture from the figure viewer that I may have been seeing things when I watched the cutscene.

mattso

so I had to check it out for myself

here's the video of the 5-3 boss fight (spoilers if...you aren't up to 5-3 yet...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYz0MfTAB2Q

and here's a print screen I took of the moment in question.. nsfw and spoilers ahoy
http://i40.tinypic.com/s30ar5.jpg

crazy.

Still need to check out the figurine again for myself next time I boot up the xbox

mittelos

Been watching an unhealthy amount of the NCAA tournament, and the RE5 ad seems like it gets aired every other commercial break. Mainly been seeing the version with the 360 LE Elite featured at the end, but I just saw a slightly re-mixed version without it. Love these commercials, and I have to believe airing these during the tournament was a really good decision.

Cmagus

I have a problem with the Resident evil 5 xbox 360.So I picked one of these up and it wont read the resident evil 5 game so i figure id take it back and I got a second 360 and the same thing it wont read the disc and it makes a weird clicking sound when it tries to read the disc.Other games work no problem though anyone have this problem.

Neiteio

mattso said:
so I had to check it out for myself

here's the video of the 5-3 boss fight (spoilers if...you aren't up to 5-3 yet...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYz0MfTAB2Q

and here's a print screen I took of the moment in question.. nsfw and spoilers ahoy
http://i40.tinypic.com/s30ar5.jpg

crazy.

Still need to check out the figurine again for myself next time I boot up the xbox
Easy access. Battle suits are the new mini-skirts.

mittelos said:
Been watching an unhealthy amount of the NCAA tournament, and the RE5 ad seems like it gets aired every other commercial break. Mainly been seeing the version with the 360 LE Elite featured at the end, but I just saw a slightly re-mixed version without it. Love these commercials, and I have to believe airing these during the tournament was a really good decision.
Any links to these commercials? I need to verify they have the appropriate levels of badassity.

bigswords

A question regarding the unlimited ammo thingy, do you still get the achievements while having this option on? (such as completing the game on veteran , etc...).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
bigswords said:
A question regarding the unlimited ammo thingy, do you still get the achievements while having this option on? (such as completing the game on veteran , etc...).

Yep

Neiteio

A question about the vests. If you have the melee and bulletproof vests in your inventory, does it change your character's appearance at all?

Neiteio said:
A question about the vests. If you have the melee and bulletproof vests in your inventory, does it change your character's appearance at all?
One does, I don't think the other does. I bought both at the same time so I can't say.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:

They both do, on default costumes atleast. I haven't tried with any of the alts.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neiteio said:

They each have their own look. If you equip them both it just shows the bulletproof vest.

if you get a treasure and quit the level, will you still have it? the one I just got... I'd really hate to have to finish the chapter. :lol

vilmer_

Hai guys, would anyone be willing to help me out with the "egg trick"... I'm at the point now where I don't feel like grinding chickens to help upgrade for Pro mode :/ Gamertag is Vilmerz (if anyone's up for it, i'll be around for an hour or so).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
brandonh83 said:
if you get a treasure and quit the level, will you still have it? the one I just got... I'd really hate to have to finish the chapter. :lol

Save the inventory and I'd assume the treasure would save.

Christopher

man for one of my last trophys I really just needed a golden egg to come and couldn't get it for nothing, then just randomly it was on that island :lol I was like awesome!

First Platinum trophy :D - Trophys really do make you want to play the game more IMO play the shit out of this now I can pay attention to my fiance again ;p

btw does anyone wish
one of Sheva's costume's was a Jill skin?

Risette

A Good Citizen
The VZ61 is suprisingly good with infinite ammo. I took it for a test run on professional and I was popping heads constantly. :lol Probably not very good for my accuracy rating though.

Pojo

Banned
Pojosamaneo

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that you can run out of ammo during the last fight and be completely helpless, needing to redo that ENTIRE last chapter?

EDIT: Oh, PSN only, sorry!

JB1981

How many fucking times is Sheva going to get chainsawed in two at the oil refinery?!! GAAAHH

Anyway, how do you string combos together? I understand that by shooting the enemy in a certain spot (arm, head, knee) it allows you to pull off a hook, uppercut, etc, but can you string together several punches or no?

I'm just now starting Mercenaries. :D

been getting trophies and other things, I just need a couple more but can't get them until after I clear it on veteran and pro.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Any advice on The mercenaries stage:
Ship deck? , the chainsaw guys
are killing me every time :(

Top Bottom