• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

crowphoenix said:
There's definitely some creepy stuff in this game (
Damn, I hate those spiders
), but I'm finally getting to the sections where I can really see some people's complaints. I love the game and it's one of my favorite co-op experiences, but I can see why some people feel a little left in the cold now.

Yup. I played for six hours straight yesterday, beginning to chapter 4. The game is wicked fun, but I'm just not really...scared or tense at all.

BrandNew said:
Yup. I played for six hours straight yesterday, beginning to chapter 4. The game is wicked fun, but I'm just not really...scared or tense at all.
Ei. When my co-op partner left town for awhile, I'd go back through the old areas using only the pistol and the rifle, limiting myself to only the initial clip, and only healing items I found. Even then, it wasn't tense. A little frantic, fun, but not tense.

Davey Cakes

Dark FaZe said:
To beat him you simply
shoot him in the back, then the chest, then get behind him while he's hurting after you hit one of those parts and you can grab him :\. I was apart of the group that just shot his back and chest over and over thinking it was doing damage. When it comes to Wesker you can never kill him (other than frustrate him during "7 minutes") without actually using a close ranged QTE.
Close range QTE? I never had to use one of those. I just kept shooting him (which keeps him at bay) until he does his spinning-twister attack. At that point, he just exposes his chest, and I shoot it. Rinse, repeat. It took a bunch of ammo, but I already had plenty of it saved up.

In any case, after creating such an epic climax for pretty much all of 6-3, it was kind of disappointing that the final boss had such a mediocre design. It didn't even match RE4's.

As much fun as this game is, I always keep finding myself wanting there to be some dull moments like RE4 had. That's how that game built its tension. So far, the only "scary" moments have been the mines when your partner needs to carry the lantern and the sewers.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
USD said:
If you could make an avatar-sized version of this, I will love you forever. :lol

i suck at gif's and that one was made via Total Video Converter, the smallest i can go is 600 kb :p

can a gif wizard do an avatar sized one ?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my experience was hindered multiple times by a good working knowledge of re4, thus why i mentioned above people who have not played it will enjoy this twice as much. there are so many parallels to re4 that it feels like a retread. a very competent, wonderful, excellently made retread, but a retread nonetheless. the way wesker moves is an exaggeration of krauser's dashing about, and he even
transforms and has a big extra appendage coming out of his arm that he slashes with
. irving's transformation is just salazar with a turret. the most basic enemies were top to bottom reskins. even the animation on
the rocket you shoot at wesker before his transformation
is exactly the same. that's to say nothing of the completely wasted gigante sequence.

it feels like a game made by someone who played and loved resident evil 4 dearly, but really didn't understand what made it so interesting or unique in the first place. re5 is a game you can play and appreciate, but that will ultimately be colored by your experience with what came before it. prior to its release, i think many conceded that they were fine with what would essentially be re4.5hd, and i was one of those; what i hadn't predicted was the extent to which the product would smack of a lack of imagination or originality in nearly any respect.

it's good. fuck, it's very good. it's the best disappointment i've ever played.

Taurus

Isn't
Hunk
playable in
Mercenaries
mode?

I don't get it, I've just
unlocked 10 characters in Mercenaries but actually there are only 4 different characters, they just have different weapons, like 3 Shevas. WTF Capcom? Where's my Hunk? How about Leon? And I was so sure that the last character on the right in the character selection screen was Barry Burton but noooooo, it was just another Wesker. BOO!

RE4 was just so much better in every way. Yes, the RE5's graphics are AWESOME but... that's about it. Co-op sure is welcome but still RE4>>>RE5. And don't get me started about the controls, because superior Wii controls >>>>>>>> XO controls. Well, you can't have it all I guess.

beelzebozo said:
my experience was hindered multiple times by a good working knowledge of re4, thus why i mentioned above people who have not played it will enjoy this twice as much. there are so many parallels to re4 that it feels like a retread. a very competent, wonderful, excellently made retread, but a retread nonetheless. the way wesker moves is an exaggeration of krauser's dashing about, and he even
transforms and has a big extra appendage coming out of his arm that he slashes with
. irving's transformation is just salazar with a turret. the most basic enemies were top to bottom reskins. even the animation on
is exactly the same. that's to say nothing of the completely wasted gigante sequence.

it feels like a game made by someone who played and loved resident evil 4 dearly, but really didn't understand what made it so interesting or unique in the first place. re5 is a game you can play and appreciate, but that will ultimately be colored by your experience with what came before it. prior to its release, i think many conceded that they were fine with what would essentially be re4.5hd, and i was one of those; what i hadn't predicted was the extent to which the product would smack of a lack of imagination or originality in nearly any respect.

goddamn, that's a fucking post

Taurus said:
Isn't
Hunk
playable in
Mercenaries
mode?

I don't get it, I've just
unlocked 10 characters in Mercenaries but actually there are only 4 different characters, they just have different weapons, like 3 Shevas. WTF Capcom? Where's my Hunk? How about Leon? And I was so sure that the last character on the right in the character selection screen was Barry Burton but noooooo, it was just another Wesker. BOO!

RE4 was just so much better in every way. Yes, the RE5's graphics are AWESOME but... that's about it. Co-op sure is welcome but still RE4>>>RE5. And don't get me started about the controls, because superior Wii controls >>>>>>>> XO controls. Well, you can't have it all I guess.

I'm fully expecting more levels and characters via DLC.

Cannot wait for that day too :D

beelzebozo said:

You need your tag amended to 'eloquent bastard.' I really want to go back and play RE4 again. But, I don't want to do it until I get through and have had my fill of RE5.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
beelzebozo said:

Agreed 100%.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Damn, the 5-3 boss fight(s) is a bitch to do with the AI on veteran. I kept
shooting and killing Jill when Chris restrained her since it's hard to aim at that device on her chest, and restraining her before Chris did was a complete pain in the ass. Eventually got it though

I am on vacation all this week and will most likely start Pro Mode tomorrow sometime, I'd like to do it with another player so anyone who is interested just send me an invite. PSN is in my profile ;-)

I'll enable infinite ammo on regular guns but no infinite launchers please!

Applesauce said:
I am on vacation all this week and will most likely start Pro Mode tomorrow sometime, I'd like to do it with another player so anyone who is interested just send me an invite. PSN is in my profile ;-)

I'll enable infinite ammo on regular guns but no infinite launchers please!

If I may suggest something, play without infinite ammo. It's so much more enjoyable. Bring both vests of course.

JB1981

The graphics in this game are just ... my god. Capcom raising the bar. Just got to the
underground ruins
In some ways I find the game more impressive than Killzone 2. The game has so much environmental variety.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
crowphoenix said:
You need your tag amended to 'eloquent bastard.' I really want to go back and play RE4 again. But, I don't want to do it until I get through and have had my fill of RE5.

i'm starting up re4 right now.

it's time.

Finished my veteran run yesterday and still have some bitching to get off my chest. The QTEs are just annoying and inconsistent. I would be fine with them if the same button input was required but it randomly switches, making for some painful redos. Also, controls still hurt the experience when you're in the heat of battle. The characters still move like fucking tanks, which in an action game like this doesn't make sense. Managing your inventory during skirmishes is a pain as well. Trying to combine herbs while being attacked normally leads to death, as the menu is clunky and slow to respond (as are the quick weapon selects on the D-pad). I love certain parts of the game but the little issues stack up against the overall experience.

evilromero said:
Finished my veteran run yesterday and still have some bitching to get off my chest. The QTEs are just annoying and inconsistent. I would be fine with them if the same button input was required but it randomly switches, making for some painful redos. Also, controls still hurt the experience when you're in the heat of battle. The characters still move like fucking tanks, which in an action game like this doesn't make sense. Managing your inventory during skirmishes is a pain as well. Trying to combine herbs while being attacked normally leads to death, as the menu is clunky and slow to respond (as are the quick weapon selects on the D-pad). I love certain parts of the game but the little issues stack up against the overall experience.

not true at all. how is hitting a direction on the dpad slow and clunky? once you get used to the menus, it's very easy to use. same goes for controls. 1 hour in I was having problems but 30 hours in.. I love the controls for this type of game.

DevelopmentArrested said:
not true at all. how is hitting a direction on the dpad slow and clunky? once you get used to the menus, it's very easy to use. same goes for controls. 1 hour in I was having problems but 30 hours in.. I love the controls for this type of game.

I understand the path they took for menu selection because of the co-op option, but honestly, the suitcase mechanic from RE4 is so so so so much more satisfying and precise. I wish that was still intact.

BrandNew said:
I understand the path they took for menu selection because of the co-op option, but honestly, the suitcase mechanic from RE4 is so so so so much more satisfying and precise. I wish that was still intact.

for a solo experience, you are absolutely right.
but playing veteran or pro coop.. re5's is more efficient.

JB1981

What's the deal with the melee vest? Does it have to be 'equipped' like other weapons or do you just have to have it in your inventory? I don't understand how having it has helped me so far ....

Also: the fire - it is AMAZING. Is this game built on the Framework engine? If so, it's turning out to be the most impressive 3rd party engine this generation. More impressive than Unreal Engine 3 imo.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Grimm Fandango said:
If I may suggest something, play without infinite ammo. It's so much more enjoyable. Bring both vests of course.

I was only referring to using it on the pistols and SMG's since it's easy to find ammo for those two types of guns. All I really wanted was to free up some space for the vests since they take up two spots. Infinite hand cannons and Hydras can stay in the chest ;-)

JB1981 said:
What's the deal with the melee vest? Does it have to be 'equipped' like other weapons or do you just have to have it in your inventory? I don't understand how having it has helped me so far ....

Also: the fire - it is AMAZING. Is this game built on the Framework engine? If so, it's turning out to be the most impressive 3rd party engine this generation. More impressive than Unreal Engine 3 imo.
Just in your inventory. And the two vests cut down on the damage you receive from attacks of a specific type.

adelante

JB1981 said:
The graphics in this game are just ... my god. Capcom raising the bar. Just got to the
underground ruins
In some ways I find the game more impressive than Killzone 2. The game has so much environmental variety.
Completed the game today...holy crap YES the visuals are astounding. And those damn cutscenes...best use of real-time graphics I've seen, love the neat visual tricks like reflections, selfshadows, video feeds on tv monitors, etc

adelante said:
Completed the game today...holy crap YES the visuals are astounding. And those damn cutscenes...best use of real-time graphics I've seen, love the neat visual tricks like reflections, selfshadows, video feeds on tv monitors, etc

It is simply amazing. I say it takes the cake from the MGS games (I haven't played 4 though) which I would consider the king of real-time cutscenes.

JB1981

Grimm Fandango said:
It is simply amazing. I say it takes the cake from the MGS games (I haven't played 4 though) which I would consider the king of real-time cutscenes.

It's a debate I've been having in my own mind. I think RE5 makes better uses of shaders but MGS 4 has better facial animations

Ok I'm done with AI Sheva. I'm trying to beat it on veteran and while it's not that hard, Sheva makes it hard as hell with her stupidity. if anyone wants to co-op later on vet starting on ch. 4-2 let me know. :D

I defended Sheva's AI before but I guess she's only super-retarded on harder difficulties. I played it through the first time on normal and she didn't give me much grief but on veteran her BRL is like an 8.0.

case #1: when the bugs attack you after falling down the trap door in 4-1, EVERY SINGLE BUG managed to latch onto her, resulting in HELP ME! HELP ME! this happened... how many bugs attack you there? seemed like 30.

case #2: she stands around and doesn't. shoot. anything. I can be taking on a hundred Majini, SHE DOESN'T...

2b4l74.png

Narag

beelzebozo said:

So very agreed. This became apparent to me when the "You are Dead" sequences lacked the personality of RE4 and how the game took itself a little too seriously for what it was without all the wonderful out of place stuff RE4 had in the radio dialogues.

brandonh83 said:
Ok I'm done with AI Sheva. I'm trying to beat it on veteran and while it's not that hard, Sheva makes it hard as hell with her stupidity. if anyone wants to co-op later on vet starting on ch. 4-2 let me know. :D

I defended Sheva's AI before but I guess she's only super-retarded on harder difficulties. I played it through the first time on normal and she didn't give me much grief but on veteran her BRL is like an 8.0.

case #1: when the bugs attack you after falling down the trap door in 4-1, EVERY SINGLE BUG managed to latch onto her, resulting in HELP ME! HELP ME! this happened... how many bugs attack you there? seemed like 30.

case #2: she stands around and doesn't. shoot. anything. I can be taking on a hundred Majini, SHE DOESN'T...

Do you have reaction set to off? I usually can't get her to stop attackin shit.

Narag said:
Do you have reaction set to off? I usually can't get her to stop attackin shit.

Well she attacks a lot but then there are instances where there'll be a ton of Majini she could be shooting and she has plenty, plenty of ammo and wonderful line of sight but she doesn't do anything. Reaction is set to off.

Neiteio

brandonh83 said:
Did you put her in Attack mode? She'll go apeshit and kill everything in the area. Give her an infinite ammo shotgun and machine gun and she'll be doubly dangerous.

On another note, I just S-ranked 6-3 and man, playing the grand finale a second time really drove home the epicness. The finishing QTE where you restrain
Wesker
with your entire body and stab, stab, stab his heart was SO satisfying. It felt like stabbing El Gigante's parasite in RE4, multipled tenfold in awesomeness.

The game makes me nostalgic for RE4, which will surely make me nostalgic for RE5. Between the two we have all these different flavors, which can hardly be good because now I'll be twice as addicted. I really wish Capcom would remake RE4 in HD and at least expand Mercs, triple the melee attacks, add ground finishers and make a truly robust figure gallery (I want boss figures, dammit). Until then, RE4 will feel a bit antiquated.

The good part is, the above might happen. RE4 REmake?

brandonh83 said:
Well she attacks a lot but then there are instances where there'll be a ton of Majini she could be shooting and she has plenty, plenty of ammo and wonderful line of sight but she doesn't do anything. Reaction is set to off.

What guns does she have?

Usually a SMG and a rifle are best. She's not that great with handguns.

She has a bow, rifle, and shotgun, I like giving her the long-range weapons so that she takes out the far-off Majini while I take the ones that are closer to us.

Neiteio

brandonh83 said:
She has a bow, rifle, and shotgun, I like giving her the long-range weapons so that she takes out the far-off Majini while I take the ones that are closer to us.
You should give her a melee vest and bulletproof vest as well, to halve damage from close- and long-range attacks, but I take it you've already tried that?

Neiteio said:
You should give her a melee vest and bulletproof vest as well, to halve damage from close- and long-range attacks, but I take it you've already tried that?

I haven't tried it but her taking damage hasn't been a problem... yet.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Neiteio said:
Did you put her in Attack mode? She'll go apeshit and kill everything in the area. Give her an infinite ammo shotgun and machine gun and she'll be doubly dangerous.

On another note, I just S-ranked 6-3 and man, playing the grand finale a second time really drove home the epicness. The finishing QTE where you restrain
Wesker
with your entire body and stab, stab, stab his heart was SO satisfying. It felt like stabbing El Gigante's parasite in RE4, multipled tenfold in awesomeness.

The game makes me nostalgic for RE4, which will surely make me nostalgic for RE5. Between the two we have all these different flavors, which can hardly be good because now I'll be twice as addicted. I really wish Capcom would remake RE4 in HD and at least expand Mercs, triple the melee attacks, add ground finishers and make a truly robust figure gallery (I want boss figures, dammit). Until then, RE4 will feel a bit antiquated.

The good part is, the above might happen. RE4 REmake?
I definitely hope an RE4 remake happens. The new things/changes added to RE5 make going back to RE4 really hard. The controls, mostly. RE4's aiming feels like RE5 set to "Slowest" :(

fernoca

No problems with Sheva on Veteran..heck she helped me quite a lot to finish the game in under 4 hours..
I gave her a Magnum with infinite ammo and she was a blast, put her in cover mode during the game and she killed anyone trying to get close to me..even ones that were quite far shooting at me.

Another thing that I just noticed in the guide (bought it after finishing the game to find the 30 BSAA emblems plus wanted the calendar :p ), is that it mentions that Sheva behaves according to how well you act towards her; there's even an achievement/trophy of that. Make sure to thank her of after she heals you or gives you an item without asking her; and she'll behave fine. Constantly arras her requesting items and telling her to hurry and she'll give a fuck about you and stay with all the items and only heal you when you're close to dying.

Neiteio

fernoca said:
No problems with Sheva on Veteran..heck she helped me quite a lot to finish the game in under 4 hours..
I gave her a Magnum with infinite ammo and she was a blast, put her in cover mode during the game and she killed anyone trying to get close to me..even ones that were quite far shooting at me.
Given her love of handguns, I can definitely see her doing well with an infinite ammo magnum.

Another thing that I just noticed in the guide (bought it after finishing the game to find the 30 BSAA emblems plus wanted the calendar :p ), is that it mentions that Sheva behaves according to how well you act towards her; there's even an achievement/trophy of that. Make sure to thank her of after she heals you or gives you an item without asking her; and she'll behave fine. Constantly arras her requesting items and telling her to hurry and she'll give a fuck about you and stay with all the items and only heal you when you're close to dying.
My guide's on the way from Amazon, coinicidentally. What can I expect? Is it a good read for immersing yourself in RE5 when you're not playing the game? How's the Mercs section? Do they have maps of all the Mercs levels and pictures of the Mercs characters (renders especially)?

BitchTits

Currently at the part with the Hammer of Dawn type weapons in the underground city, does it get any better, because so far it's beena hard slog to play through tbh.

It's just not very exciting, going through the motions, I'm really having to push myself to keep playing. :(

mattso

Neiteio said:
Given her love of handguns, I can definitely see her doing well with an infinite ammo magnum.

My guide's on the way from Amazon, coinicidentally. What can I expect? Is it a good read for immersing yourself in RE5 when you're not playing the game? How's the Mercs section? Do they have maps of all the Mercs levels and pictures of the Mercs characters (renders especially)?
I've been giving ai chris an infinite magnum and now the bastard keeps stealing my kills

Neiteio

I see people use the GOW reference to alternatively describe the
sun mirrors
of Chapter 4 and the
satellite laser
of Chapter 5. Which one are you guys talking about when you mention Hammer of Dawn?

Also, what would you guys think of a DLC scenario where you play as Josh in the events leading up to the Delta Squad massacre at the port? It could begin in broad daylight, playing up the harsh light/extreme dark contrast to great effect, with Majini lurking in the shadows and some new enemies on the prowl; say, infected hyena that cackle evilly and stalk you in groups, the port being a backwater town on the savannah and all. Then, once you’ve secured the area, it’s late afternoon and storm clouds are gathering overhead. It begins to thunder and rain, and out of nowhere Ndesu (El Gigante) attacks, who you fight on foot ala RE4. What follows is a sequence like the Gekko attack at the beginning of MGS4, where all around you your Delta Squad teammates are dying in real-time, while you struggle to survive, stunning Ndesu with your weapons to give you time to run and hide. The idea is Ndesu is considerably stronger than RE4’s Gigante – he has six times the plagas, after all – so Josh would need to exploit the environment, playing cat-and-mouse with the giant and ultimately finding a way to knock Ndesu unconscious (hence why the beast’s still alive when Chris and Sheva arrive later that night).

Maybe there’d be more to the scenario than that (I wanted to fit infected elephants, giraffe and lions in there somehow like early reports led us to believe), but at any rate it’s a scenario that could reuse assets already in the game (the port, Josh, Ndesu) with minimal additions (infected hyena).

I know the DLC everyone REALLY wants would be Chris and
Jill
exploring Spencer’s estate as seen in the flashbacks (the flashbacks now integrated at the end as a QTE). In and around Spencer’s mansion you’d encounter Barry Burton, who’d fight alongside you at parts like Josh at the oil refinery, and you’d battle zombies (let’s say specimens were kept for research), Crimson Heads, insta-kill Hunters and maybe a Tyrant complete with fully destructible environments.
Jill’s RE1 and RE3 costumes
would be unlockable, as would new files, figures, filters, weapons (you could finally find the Samurai Edge, and maybe the Mine Thrower), and more.

And yet a THIRD possibility could involve co-op with
Wesker
and the “Bird Lady,” perhaps prior to the events of RE5. I’m not sure who they combat, though; I’m not too keen on the idea of killing non-infected characters, but maybe the developers could shoehorn a reason why
Wesker
and the “Bird Lady” would fight Ganado/Majini, perhaps the infected of a competing sect like the Los Illuminados elsewhere in the world. This last scenario would probably be the most elaborate DLC, potentially requiring all-new assets.

Bottom line: if Capcom makes it, I will buy.

fernoca

Neiteio said:
Yeah..the guide per se doesn't cover story spoilers, but strategies of the entire game and bosses. Then have a separate section for each chapter's recommendations for speed runs o Normal and Professional. Then lists for each treasures, weapons, figurines, modes, trophies/achievement and how to obtain them. Then info, pictures, maps and item locations for the Mercenaries (small pictures of each character, but there are bigger pics/render through the guide) and Versus Mode..and then concludes with an interview, behind the scenes pictures and artwork for the game.

I paid $30 for it, which was a little over $10 more than the Amazon price, and still find it to be a great value, read the interview (which is a lot considering I hate reading :p) plus the calendar is great (and even lists the release dates of each of the main RE games through the years).

WHAT THE FUCK. I think my save is corrupt, when I load up the game it's like I've made no progress. Can't select chapters, can't choose Mercenaries, can't access item management, all the bonus features I unlocked are locked again. Cunting fuck bags, I've put like 70 hours into this game.

Probably was already noted in this thread, but I laughed when, after 5-2 boss, you can sit in the chair,both Sheva and Chris, which is a nice tribute to Mikami and RE4.

Right now, I'm getting the emblems I left, there's still too much stuff to do. I'm gonna play this game during weeks. :lol :lol

S1kkZ

Baloonatic said:
WHAT THE FUCK. I think my save is corrupt, when I load up the game it's like I've made no progress. Can't select chapters, can't choose Mercenaries, can't access item management, all the bonus features I unlocked are locked again. Cunting fuck bags, I've put like 70 hours into this game.
which version?

Kard8p3

After clocking in 25 hours and still being no where near done (need to do veteran and pro) I've come to the conclusion that this game is amazing. I don't care if it alot like RE4 nor do I care that there aren't any scares. What I do know is this is the most fun I've had with a game this generation and I like it even better than 4.

Top Bottom